Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA4 on PC!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

So after installing the game, installing the social club, installing Live, and then signing up for 3 different poxy accounts, I got it working on my P4.

And I have to say folks running at 1024x768, I'm very impressed my old girl can take as much as she does. Ok I had to turn everything down to near minimums to get a decent 20fps or so, but its running and thats the main thing.

68325.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

on my i7 920
    Statistics
    Average FPS: 38.82
    Duration: 37.58 sec
    CPU Usage: 29%
    System memory usage: 60%
    Video memory usage: 75%

Graphics Settings
    Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)
    Texture Quality: Medium
    Render Quality: High
    View Distance: 54
    Detail Distance: 90

Hardware
    Microsoft® Windows Vista" Business 
    Service Pack 1
    Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
    Video Driver version: 7.14.10.630
    Audio Adapter: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         920  @ 2.67GHz

it wont let me bump up the draw distance any more....right now at those above settings under graphics it tells me 535/499 at the bottom *shrug*

Just updated to 8.12 cats, time to play :)

played the first one or two of Romans there, runs fine for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

kaimera wrote: »
    it wont let me bump up the draw distance any more....right now at those above settings under graphics it tells me 535/499 at the bottom *shrug*

Just updated to 8.12 cats, time to play :)

Use the commandline script with -norestriction, see my last post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Wow, I'm noticing a serious increase with 8.12 Ati driver, 10+fps, seriously. Somebody else please try it and prove me right.
    I got an extra 2 FPS with it, but I just have a single 4850. Best two frames ever though. :D

I boosted my settings a little and I'm still getting 37FPS with 8.12 so there defo is some improvment. Probably the more GPU power you have the more improvment you'll see.

Game looks great to me and despite the painful install its plays fine. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones. I can't wait to play a marathon session over the weekend.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Nearly finished the story missions now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Anyone else having problems playing online ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ill let you know as soon as windows allows me to boot up correctly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

delly wrote: »
    So after installing the game, installing the social club, installing Live, and then signing up for 3 different poxy accounts, I got it working on my P4.

And I have to say folks running at 1024x768, I'm very impressed my old girl can take as much as she does. Ok I had to turn everything down to near minimums to get a decent 20fps or so, but its running and thats the main thing.

68325.JPG

not too shabby looking for a p4! whats the spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Game looks great to me
    Scratch that. Shadows are terrible and the game exits to desktop with the RC20 error. POS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

not too shabby looking for a p4! whats the spec?

P4 3.6ht, 8800GT and 2gb's of ram.

delly wrote: »
    P4 3.6ht, 8800GT and 2gb's of ram.
    I'll put my money on that yours would run better once the patching and drivers are sorted out too

Bit slow to get going is GTA4.

I dont mean how it runs :p just I dont want ot frickin play pool or bowling :/

Mouse aiming is as easy as ever, glad I didnt dilute the experience by trying it on a console. It's gta as I've known it albeit grown up some.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I updated to Catalyst 8.12 drivers and can't say I noticed any improvement.

However 2 days ago I got the Fatal Error: zlib20 after leaving Romans house which according to Rockstar requires an un-install followed by re-installation to fix. I tried it a second time that day and got the same error. So trying again today I saved first before going out which advanced the game 6 in game hours and that seems to have fixed it.
    I was able to get out and about and play the game.

Anyway I got my old 24" working again so I tried the game out at 1920x1200

Used console settings
    Textures Quality: medium
    Render Quaility:low

Draw Distance : 21
    Detail Distance : 10
    Traffic Denisty: 33
    Shadow Density : 0
    First thing the game seemed perfectly playable with a frame rate that felt like high 20's low 30's.

I then turned render quality to highest and detail distance to 100 and it stayed much the same however I did notice 2 moments of frame rate slow down where I'm guessing it dropped to high teens low twentys for a second or two.

Also I noticed turning up the resolution made the shadow dithering effect much better. Dithering is still noticable in the distance but up close the shadows look much better.

Vsync does not seem to be working for but it did not bother me as much as other games do when vsync is not enabled.

Also the game has bad aliasing even at 1920x1200 and even with the blur filter on. As I already mentioned the game uses deferred shading which does not support anti-aliasing under DX9. I'm considering playing this on 40" HD TV at 1080i so aliasing will not be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I decided to buy the game today, my day has been like something out of a national lampoons movie. I'm at breaking point it just keeps getting worse. I finally got home and started installing the game only to be confronted with 4 crc errors during loading. This game better work or I'm going to castrate someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Installing Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 on my 64bit version of XP, so that I can install it. Will keep ye updated.
    Wow, I'm noticing a serious increase with 8.12 Ati driver, 10+fps, seriously. Somebody else please try it and prove me right.
    Will do.

/edit
    The Server 03 update worked. Now installing GTA4.

It looks ****ing class! But But it keeps crashing. :mad:

My settings are,

1280 x 1024

Texquality: High
    Rederdeatil: high

View distance 32
    Deatil distance 58
    Vehicle density 41
    shadow density 6

839/1013

I have a core 2 duo E6600
    4gb ram
    HD 4850 1gb

It really looks good, the shadows are a bit dodgey.

How do I find out my frame rate?

I already have the latest ati drivers installed them today.

68442.JPG
    System is in the sig. Running Win XP 64bit SP2.

Video 1280*1024 (75Hz)

Texture Quality: High
    Render Quality: High

View Distance: 50
    Detail Distance: 70
    Vehicle Density: 51
    Shadow Density: 10

Runs smoothly Graphical "dot" errors sometimes on the screen. Catalyst errors keep coming up. Clicking OK, and then alt-tabbing gets me back into the game.

Due to the right arm in a cast in a sling, I play L#[S instead of ADWS :D

/edit
    Dang. Got a RESC10 error, then it crashed. Seems the cause is that I only have Net 2.0 installed, and that I need Net 3.5

Other than the random crashes it's a very cool game. The xbox controller is 10 times better than the playstation. On the playstation this game was mediocare, it's finally home where it belongs on the PC. :D

I like the way it switches on screen help depending on which controller your using K/M or xbox. The cars are very controllable with the keyboard muse too, just like the other GTAs but your can still get accurate control with the joypad.

It's pisses all over the playstation version, the graphics are way better.

I've been playing this the last week without a single crash (about 14hrs done) maybe its a dual core thing
    ScumLord wrote: »
    How do I find out my frame rate?

Use Fraps .............or what I use is the on screen display of ATI Tray Tools as it gives other info as well like percentage gpu load, clock speeds, memory used by process & fan speed etc. Good overclockijng utility also, it allows you create profiles games for for fanspeeds, overclocks etc. Also it contains all settings in Catalyst Control Panel so you can just install the driver on its own. I can install a new driver and keep my overclock and fan settings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Patch OUT

grab it HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

ScumLord wrote: »
    Other than the random crashes it's a very cool game. The xbox controller is 10 times better than the playstation. On the playstation this game was mediocare, it's finally home where it belongs on the PC. :D

I like the way it switches on screen help depending on which controller your using K/M or xbox. The cars are very controllable with the keyboard muse too, just like the other GTAs but your can still get accurate control with the joypad.

It's pisses all over the playstation version, the graphics are way better.

Never quite understood the argument that a game is better on one console then the other because of the controller. On a proper sitting of the same game, for me (I own both consoles), the experience is the same. Often I find myself preferring the PS3 controller for 2 reasons, one being that I'm used to it being it's the same one as years gone by, and the second being that the controller is lighter, so it doesn't feel like I'm holding a controller.

As for it being better on PC.. rubbish. The final experience may be so, but I didn't have to deal with a buggy piece of code that constantly crashed a €1000+ computer system. Plus, on my PS3/360 I could play it on a comfy sofa on a 40" 1080p Samsung 6series tv set... not in a computer chair in front of a 20" monitor (albeit nice... not quite as nice as the tv set!).

I would be all for the PC GTA4 if it worked, and was beneficial. Previous GTA's on PC were perfect because of the ability to make mods for online gaming (buggy, but it was fun!) but now r* has a tangible online system that works and is as fun. The mods that come from GTA will probably stink up the place and try to shoehorn features into a system that doesn't want them there, or just try to tell more story that doesn't need to be told.

Ranty post, I apologise... but really, the PC version in no way compares to the console one if you have it crashing and have to revert to a console controller anyway to interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Just started the game there and GFWL prompted me to download the patch.

Auvers wrote: »
    Patch OUT

grab it HERE

I've uploaded it to rapidshare as that link is painfully slow

http://rapidshare.com/files/172962813/GTA_IV_Patch.cab

Not seeing any advantage with the patch, and i'd nearly swear its worse.

This driver breaks the game for me, I now get a the camera rotating around me instead of staying behind me as I walk and I get A and B button prompts instead of enter and esc. Its unplayable, gotta find my saves now and reinstall :mad:

Anyone know where the gamesaves are stored?

Never quite understood the argument that a game is better on one console then the other because of the controller. On a proper sitting of the same game, for me (I own both consoles), the experience is the same. Often I find myself preferring the PS3 controller for 2 reasons, one being that I'm used to it being it's the same one as years gone by, and the second being that the controller is lighter, so it doesn't feel like I'm holding a controller.

As for it being better on PC.. rubbish. The final experience may be so, but I didn't have to deal with a buggy piece of code that constantly crashed a €1000+ computer system. Plus, on my PS3/360 I could play it on a comfy sofa on a 40" 1080p Samsung 6series tv set... not in a computer chair in front of a 20" monitor (albeit nice... not quite as nice as the tv set!).

I would be all for the PC GTA4 if it worked, and was beneficial. Previous GTA's on PC were perfect because of the ability to make mods for online gaming (buggy, but it was fun!) but now r* has a tangible online system that works and is as fun. The mods that come from GTA will probably stink up the place and try to shoehorn features into a system that doesn't want them there, or just try to tell more story that doesn't need to be told.

Ranty post, I apologise... but really, the PC version in no way compares to the console one if you have it crashing and have to revert to a console controller anyway to interface.
    I'm not reverting to any controller I'm using both keyboard and mouse and xbox controller all I said was it's cool how you can switch between the two. I hated the playstation controller, when I had a friends ps3 it was too small in my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I can't see much improvement with the patch. So much for that anyway, still buggy as hell.

Ok, got it sorted, had to unplug my Wingman, didn't realise it was plugged in, Whew, now I can test patch

• Advertisement

I've uploaded it to rapidshare as that link is painfully slow

http://rapidshare.com/files/172962813/GTA_IV_Patch.cab
    Any info what the patch does?

Advertisement