Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Freezing Weather across Ireland (Friday 28th November onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Sleet/Snow shower here in Killybegs for the last ten minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

i will take you up on that and predict snow will have been recorded at knock airport before midnight:cool:

Typical Nacho, hogging all the snow again. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

hehe paddy1. if you behave i'll send some snow your way later on tonight:D

I'll try and be good so Nacho, but that may be a struggle..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Woo hoo! Keep the reports coming, good to have a member in that part of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭[P]*Deus_Alpha

Supercell wrote: »

google_earth.jpg

Is that glendalough estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Its going to be cold enough for snow, no issue there I think we all agree.

We live in Ireland. It rains when there are no clouds, in the summer, on a day where the forecasters say there is 0% chance of rain, when the rest of Europe is in drought.

I'm not worrying if there will be precipitation. Im off to get 400kilos of salt for the drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Thats great to see, Hopefully you,ll get the most out off this cold spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭WorriedSick

Hey Guys,

I'm no expert in weather but have a keen interest. I always love coming on here during winter and read the posts about snow. Just wondering if these charts can be compared to any other cold spells over the past few years or is there a possibility that we could be on the verge of something more like the spells of the 80s / 90s. I cant read weather charts so I rely on Met Eireann and you guys!! There are 2 spells that spring to mind, Christmas Day of 2004 and the second I think was Novemeber in 2005, how does the coming weekend comapre to these? The reason I ask is because here in Dublin we did quite well!!

Keep up the good work, Looking forward to a weekend of interesting and hopefully snowy weather!!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Just from glancing through some of the posts here you would get the impression there was a severe cold spell on the way. It will certainly be prolonged by our standards, but perhaps a little wasted so early in the season. I hope there wont be too much dissapointment if it doest quite deliver to expectations. :)
    I dont really want to say this and I hope Im wrong but I really feel this event will be only borderline cold enough for snow for most of us. Those of us high ground could do much better of course.
    The Western half of the country will get some of the coldest air between Sunday afternoon and Monday morning and any showers could be mostly of snow, even at low ground.
    Otherwise, in the Eastern half of the country, any showers will be mostly of wet snow or sleety rain with the coldest air not expected until Monday or Tuesday.
    Apart from a possible organised feature in the East on Sunday/Sunday Night I feel the most likely places to see the most showers will be the North Mayo coast and Donegal. Wexford and South Wicklow may also do well if the winds are just the right direction.
    This is just my interpretation of this mornings' model runs. Of course there is still time for all this to change one way or the other.:o

• Advertisement

NetWeather precip-type radar showing those showers over inland north and west as sleet now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Charts look cracker today with a lot more precip around especially Sunday into Monday.
    Still not sure about snow falling on coasts but a few miles inland should get a good covering.
    Good stuff all the same.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snow reported in knock airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Just from glancing through some of the posts here you would get the impression there was a severe cold spell on the way. It will certainly be prolonged by our standards, but perhaps a little wasted so early in the season. I hope there wont be too much dissapointment if it doest quite deliver to expectations. :)
    I dont really want to say this and I hope Im wrong but I really feel this event will be only borderline cold enough for snow for most of us. Those of us high ground could do much better of course.
    The Western half of the country will get some of the coldest air between Sunday afternoon and Monday morning and any showers could be mostly of snow, even at low ground.
    Otherwise, in the Eastern half of the country, any showers will be mostly of wet snow or sleety rain with the coldest air not expected until Monday or Tuesday.
    Apart from a possible organised feature in the East on Sunday/Sunday Night I feel the most likely places to see the most showers will be the North Mayo coast and Donegal. Wexford and South Wicklow may also do well if the winds are just the right direction.
    This is just my interpretation of this mornings' model runs. Of course there is still time for all this to change one way or the other.:o

Hello,

Dont judge each run as gospel, This mornings run is just one of may differant outputs. Yes things will change for good for bad , but thats the weather lol. Hope you get at least a foot of the white stuff

Gonzo wrote: »

Yes and it's down to 3c there already at 2pm!
    http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I was driving between Ballybofey and Letterkenny at lunchtime and the thermometer in the car was reading 3.5c.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Kippure wrote: »
    Hello , Im kippure, Im some what of a lurker here, and a snow addict.... i just read what pee,s are saying. You,ll find that the people on borads are sound as a euro....
    Hope you get your snow, i think we will all see snow over the next week or so.

All ready tempetures are dropping and dew points are coming close to zero to! Fun times and model watching ahead.

K.

Good to hear Kippure. Yep, I first saw the forum during the October cold spell. It does appear that we are in for very cold weather over the next few days.
    Does anybody know exactly what the One O' Clock broadcast stated regarding wintry precip chances in Ireland over the next few days.

I see that Knock is already recording recent snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Artfu1Dodger

rc28 wrote: »
    NetWeather precip-type radar showing those showers over inland north and west as sleet now.

These will probably turn to snow by the evening.
    1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gonzo wrote: »

already:eek:

it will be interesting to hear how much accumulated snow the likes of supercell and ch750536 will record over this cold period given the height at which they both live at.

Had a shower here a while ago with a few white fleks falling as it finished. Increasingly distrubed looking skies now, but little if any precipitation. 4.8c.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

If you believe enough the snow WILL come! BELIEVE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Shall we all hold hands and wiggle noses?

Would that be a bit you know..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is that glendalough estate?

'Tis indeed, do you live locally?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭[P]*Deus_Alpha

Supercell wrote: »
    'Tis indeed, do you live locally?

certainly do, at the bottom of the lane...just the Annamoe weather link caught my eye. Go on Annamoe! beautiful part of the country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Dp just dropped sub zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

certainly do, at the bottom of the lane...just the Annamoe weather link caught my eye. Go on Annamoe! beautiful part of the country!

Good stuff, hope you take some pics during the coming snow event (and post them up in the weather photo's forum!), I reckon Sunday could be pretty white for us.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Sun has gone now and dew is starting to form on cars already. Tis going to be frosty tonight. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Its looking quite cold then for the weekend.

However I'm not sure about precip chances.
    Sky News seem to suggest snow showers along coastal fringes for tomorrow, Friday.

Some interesting weather ahead though. :)

Welcome Snowaddict , i'd say your a bit of a hero on this site ;) , some (just a few) very big ego's on TWO , it's like a war zone there at times but lets face it some of them don't like us , as a total amateur i am very much looking forward to your contribution here in the future .

I also find it hard to believe that Brian is leaving that site , a bit like leaving the pram in the town park and running away ,( unless there is another pram on the other side of town :rolleyes: .)

Back on topic , just had a slight shower of rain/hailstones so hoping for something more 'wintery' in the next few nights:D:D:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Well another cold run. Hope we get lots of precip as anyting could happen over next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like western half of Ireland and most of Scotland is best places to be over next few days, thats where the coldest weather will be and most of the showers. Hopefully we'll get lucky in the east, most of England and Wales looks like there gonna miss out this time but things look better for eastern areas by Monday/Tuesday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement