Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oscarBravo's "infractions" and impartiality

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

perhaps you could give a detailed explaination of what infractions are, wand their appeal process, we cos we havn't had since they suddenly appeared last year.

Think of them as penalty points on your profile.

They expire after 10 days (I think).

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

DeVore wrote: »
    I think I'm going to outlaw complaints about infractions.

Perhaps hand out infractions for those complaints? :)

SteveC wrote: »
    Think of them as penalty points on your profile.

They expire after 10 days (I think).

So if a person recieves 5 infractions in a given week, that could merit an automatic siteban? Unless thats the way it is

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It takes 10, afaicr.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

So if a person recieves 5 infractions in a given week, that could merit an automatic siteban? Unless thats the way it is

It takes 10 infractions, and the automatic siteban only lasts 7 days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I don't know, I'm not a mod, I'm just repeating what I read about it. Did ye not get an instruction manual with the C&H.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,821 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

has anyone ever gotten 5 infractions in 10 days?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Overheal wrote: »
    has anyone ever gotten 5 infractions in 10 days?

Yes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

*runs in panting*

ok......

*inhales*

I'm back from the shop, and since we've cleared up the whole infraction thing and what they are, i'll empty my bag.

*bag is tipped upside down on table*

Ok, I have a tub of sour cream Pringles, Tayto premium crisps, some Phileas Fogg nachos and some microwave popcorn. I also managed to snare some chilli and garlic dip.

So, dig in folks!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Dude? Jelly beans?

Where are my jelly beans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I didn't ask him anything of the kind. oB was letting the poster know that I knew that he was guilty of re-registering to evade a forum ban four times, and warning him not to repeat the tactics that got him banned in the first place. I'm sorry I've offended you. I'll check with you in future before making any moderating decisions, k?

Not wanting to back seat mod, but re regging is an insta-ban offence, ne? Why not just hit the ban stick?

I'm not offended, i'd just like you to keep it in yer PM's, people dont be needing to see that thing in debates on europe.

Anyone any hunky dorys? Sour cream?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Sorry folks, Dev only had a tenner and insisted I brought back change.

He not let you keep the change? typical :pac:

Bambi wrote: »
    Not wanting to back seat mod, but re regging is an insta-ban offence, ne? Why not just hit the ban stick?
    It's a judgement call. There's the faintest possibility he might contribute something to the debate.
    I'm not offended, i'd just like you to keep it in yer PM's, people dont be needing to see that thing in debates on europe.
    Sometimes moderation is done in private, sometimes in public. That's a judgement call too.
    Anyone any hunky dorys? Sour cream?
    Jelly beans, dammit!

I had jellybeans yesterday, they were stupid mini ones though, more jelly foetuses you might say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I had jellybeans yesterday, they were stupid mini ones though, more jelly foetuses you might say

Mmm, jellied foetuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

or jellybabies maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

Having being reading the politics boards for a month or two now I would agree with slabmurphy, does seem to be an anything goes attitude towards posts about Shinners.
    btw nothing but respect for John Hume (taught in my old school, goes to the pub near my folks house, one of the few people that had the people of NI's interests really to heart) but seriously an infraction for calling him Uncle Tom :eek:

ps how come feedback threads always go so off topic, who mods the mods?

RDM_83 wrote: »

Whats it got to do with mods? Mods are just regular members outside of the forums they mod. Feedback is looked after by the admins.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

RDM_83 wrote: »

Batman?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

Exactly. People who continually re-register under different user names are scum. Old Mac has nothing but contempt for them.

Ban them all and let Mod sort them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Please call them purple nurples, that would be fantastic! And instead of thanks - call them "squodges". +1squodge

O'Morris wrote: »
    Exactly. People who continually re-register under different user names are scum. Old Mac has nothing but contempt for them.

Ban them all and let Mod sort them out!
    But where would you go now there's no INP website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I got an infraction from OB before for 'insulting behaviour' in reply to a poster for saying in an EU debate...

'Good grief, you haven't a clue' (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56236003#post56236003 )

and another for 'breach of forum charter' http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55492074#post55492074

Never got any from any other mod yet :D

And...what? You've had to have counselling? Girls won't go out with you? The value of your house has fallen?

I didn't realise infractions were so terribly upsetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

oscarBravo wrote: »
    And...what? You've had to have counselling? Girls won't go out with you? The value of your house has fallen?

I didn't realise infractions were so terribly upsetting.

Would you give yourself an infraction for that reply if it was in Politics forum? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

DeVore wrote: »
    infractions are warnings of unacceptible behaviour. I would have thought they have fairly clear labels. They are lesser rebukes then a ban and more obvious to the user then a post on a thread that they have just behaved unacceptibly.

They also will auto ban a user who accumulates 10 of them in a short (~days) space of time.

There is no appeals process because they simply dont have much of a consequence.

DeVore, the problems I see is that infractions are used in a very subjective fashion, they are given out in non-obvious cases, they are used like confetti in the politics forum and when accumulated they lead to a ban. oscarBravo in particular seems to relish giving them out, he uses them in a childlike manner and they are like his 'toy'. He enjoys giving them out, I have no doubt. I was the recipient of his so-called 'judgements' and there is little support from other mods. I think I got a forum banning from a mere 3 infractions or something on items that were very very subjective. For example, one post was something like 60 lines and he took umbrage(sp?) at the last line which he interpreted as warranting an infraction. Then, there was no information from him on when I would be allowed back on.

Its out of control if you ask me and I have no problem saying that publicly. My opinion would be that oscarBravo should be given a 'rest' from modding the politics forum, and I have no doubt that many would back that. On the one hand you could say having an active policeman in such a 'volatile' forum is a good thing and can help with 'libel issues', but on the other hand the 'strong arm' tactics poison the forum.

Redspider

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ahhh the politics of the politics forum. Never ceases to entertain!

Yore Ma Uncle Tom

Nah, doesnt have as nice a sound to it.

For the record, I didnt like Mike's crisps in the first place.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

gurramok wrote: »
    Would you give yourself an infraction for that reply if it was in Politics forum? :rolleyes:
    He's not in Politics now though, feedback is a bit more relaxed to avoid people getting themselves banned while protesting their bans etc.

This is an infraction, I'm not going to investigate them as they are slaps on the wrist and not of consequence per se.

For the record I think the Politics mods are fine.

DeV.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    Is this the Politics forum?
    redspider wrote: »
    oscarBravo in particular seems to relish giving them out, he uses them in a childlike manner and they are like his 'toy'. He enjoys giving them out, I have no doubt.
    Yup. It's the only thing that gets me through the day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement