Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Maps Stay - No further discussion on this

Options
  • 29-05-2008 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭

Since certain elements of the surfing community have decided that it was ok to post a moderators name and and private contact information despite it being clear that this was not welcome in the surfing threads and he has subsequently being threatened by members of the surfing community there is to be no further discussion about the removal of the surfing maps.

The map link stays and the recent arrivals to the site will find their accounts removed as result of this. So much for the surfer lifestyle - sounds like an unpleasant bunch to me.

Vex.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Just to add to that. The moderators photo and home address where posted along with references to a personal meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I would like to add that the surfers in question are an insular bunch of small-minded and selfish cowards and are in no way representative of the massive number of people who surf in Ireland, especially the fine bunch of people on the Surfing forum on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Vexorg wrote: »
    Since certain elements of the surfing community have decided that it was ok to post a moderators name and and private contact information despite it being clear that this was not welcome in the surfing threads and he has subsequently being threatened by members of the surfing community there is to be no further discussion about the removal of the surfing maps.

The map link stays and the recent arrivals to the site will find their accounts removed as result of this. So much for the surfer lifestyle - sounds like an unpleasant bunch to me.

Vex.

My hero!

*swoons*

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmmm and I thought surfers were a laid back bunch. Sounds like they acting like "the man" now !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Correct decision. Well done to all involved. :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Jesus, sounds like a bunch of whiney kids to me,
    Glad I don't surf!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Correct decision by boards, its clear they are supporting the growth of the sport and not the narrow-minded members that throw personal threats towards others across public forums for supporting other users spreading knowledge to the wider community.

Spread and spread alike ...
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=116418679035108261065.00044dd289371de607569&ll=52.231164,-9.779205&spn=0.478588,1.109619&t=h&z=10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

*I was gonna post this on the other thread before it was deleted. If admin deem it a continuation of the discussion please feel free to delete it.*

Well done lads. You have confirmed my long held suspicions that a lot of surfers are just a bunch of cliquey, spoilt tossers.

I come from a well-known surfing village and would not be in the least bit surprised if some, if not all, of the "locals" posting here turned out to be nothing more than blow-ins to the areas where they claim to be locals.

20-30 years ago many of the now well known places to surf in this country would have been considered secret. Its impossible to keep them secret for long. Its a natural progression.

Its a small world, lads and there is nothing you can do to stop people finding all your spots. Especially in this day and age.

You have done nothing to help your argument here over the past couple of days and I would now be inclined to post all of these spots on canoeing forums. Childish, yes. But what's good for the goose and all that...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Fantastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm not going to tar all surfers with the same brush as there seems to be a fair few who (although new to surfering) use Boards and seems fine. What I will say though is that I'm disgusted with how some people think they can bully others into doing what they want.

I intend to go on a spree of advertising secret spots in the next while ..... and an attention whore like me knows how to get info out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

A decission well made vex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I like surfing :(

Mind you, if I had to surf in cold Irish water I'd probably be grumpy too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

PSI wrote: »
    I like surfing :(

Mind you, if I had to surf in cold Irish water I'd probably be grumpy too

So, what is it that makes you grumpy then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

6th wrote: »
    I'm not going to tar all surfers with the same brush as there seems to be a fair few who (although new to surfering) use Boards and seems fine.

Well in fairness if you use the internet your a surfer!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Wow, you're right. Hang 10 dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Nice. I will be taking note of any "new arrivals", those who play nasty won't be having the opportunity to partake in the community here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

post it on kayaking forums? you mean you guys wouldn't like that?

oops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'd love to shove their boards up their posteriors.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I'd love to shove their boards up their posteriors.

:mad:

Ironically enough they are probably saying "They can shove their Boards up their posteriors" about us. :D

See what I did there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Yep, everyone here surfs on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

The irony isn't lost on me :)

Hard men that they are, they probably think they can follow through as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Is Vex's post a candidate for most thanked post? That should be a Boards award if it's not already.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Nah, I'd say Terry's post where he banned 6th got at least double that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Vex got vexed! :)

Good job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

humanji wrote: »
    Nah, I'd say Terry's post where he banned 6th got at least double that.

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Wow, what a bunch of incredibly immature, ignorant, elitist little prícks.

Hope DeV decides to hover the giant magnifying glass on their part of the map :)

Oh and

Lols

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

we should all put the links to the map in our sigs :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

May their secret spots be infested with kayakers/canoists and may their Denny's sausages give them the shytes...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Rb wrote: »
    Wow, what a bunch of incredibly immature, ignorant, elitist little prícks.

Hope DeV decides to hover the giant magnifying glass on their part of the map :)

Oh and

Lols

Thanks for the link but the placemarks have unfortunately been removed. If anyone managed to save them perhaps they could PM them to Beruthiel as per this post

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement