Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday - no drink - acceptable now?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Collie D wrote: »
    Who gives a toss about the tourists??? Why are people always worried about what the world thinks. If these tourists are only here to get pissed then we don't need them,

I think you'll find that we do need the tourists.

What do you suggest tourists do tomorow evening then that does not involve drink then?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

They ban drink, but don't ban meat. It's a religious holiday but you (I) have to work. Kind of sending mixed messages there.

Not to mention the non-christian residents and tourists.

You can say "surely you can live without drink for one day" or "it'll be good for everyone to take a break". But I'm pretty sure it'd be good for everyone to not eat meat for a day as well. It'd be good for everyone to respect the right of non-christians not to have arbitrary archaic rules forced down their throat for a day as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

robinph wrote: »
    I think you'll find that we do need the tourists.

What do you suggest tourists do tomorow evening then that does not involve drink then?

The same thing as the rest of us. Not all tourists are here to get pissed...I really despair about people who seem to think they can't have a good time without getting rat-arsed. I'm not preaching because I enjoy a good session myself but I'm not going to cry about one day without it. If I'm that pushed, I'll get some cans and have a party or a poker-night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

PauloMN wrote: »

How exactly does religion rule this country?

Well, you can't buy booze on good friday, for one thing.

People in london actually laugh when I tell them about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

i think it's unfair to say if you can't go 1 day without drink you have problems etc.

If it was Good Tuesday I wouldn't mind, but Friday is one of the most popular nights to go for a drink and unwind after a week in work. It's not like I need the drink, but I'd rather go out than sit in and watch Pat Kenny.

While I'll just go the cinema instead, I don't think the restriction should be in place. If you're catholic don't drink don't drink if you like, but give everybody the option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Ireland isn't the only country that has alcohol bans. Thailand bans alcohol on election days and on the King and Queens birthdays every year. It's just one day you are not allowed go to the pub, you WILL NOT die as a result. If you need alcohol that badly buy in the offie on the way home from work tonight.

Cheers,
    sombaht

P.S. Yes I will be drinking tomorrow night, there are 4 bottles of Westmalle waiting for me at home right now :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Everyone has the option to drink tomorrow or not. What's the problem? Some inability to get to the off-license today?

Like I said, how many people took this "major issue" (not my words) up with the election candidates?

Big fuss over nothing. 2 days of the year FFS. Anyway, it's the laws of the state, not the Catholic Church that prohibits the sale of alcohol tomorrow.

sombaht wrote: »
    It's just one day you are not allowed go to the pub, you WILL NOT die as a result.

People, please get this concept into your heads: This is not about not being able to drink for a day. This is about being told by our government that we cannot do something that is perfectly legal every other day of the year because of a religious holiday that most people seem to freely admit they do not understand.

If it were the use of candles and not the purchase of alcohol that were banned I would have equal problem with it. As I don't want to be forced by the government to follow someone else's religious practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

People don't just go the pub for the want/need of alcohol!!

As I don't want to be forced by the government to follow someone else's religious practices.

Well unfortunately the law of the land states that pubs will close on Good Friday. You really only have 3 choices:
    1) Put up with it
    2) Lobby your politicians to change the law (you did request this last time they came canvasing, yeah?)
    3) Move to a country where the pubs open on a Good Friday.

People really are making a mountain out of a molehill on this one!:rolleyes:

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Fremen wrote: »
    Well, you can't buy booze on good friday, for one thing.

People in london actually laugh when I tell them about this.

And why should we give a **** about what people in London think? Are they the be-all and end-all when it comes to the laws of the land?

Don't forget that people in London also laughed at our smoking ban, and our plastic bag tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

How are so many people missing the point even though it has been stated here multiple times? Obviously nobody will die from a day without the local being open - the problem is the reason why they are closed. Good Friday should not be any different to any other Friday just because of the church's influence! I suppose contraception being limited by the church back in the day also didn't bother you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

MickeyD wrote: »
    How are so many people missing the point even though it has been stated here multiple times? Obviously nobody will die from a day without the local being open - the problem is the reason why they are closed. Good Friday should not be any different to any other Friday just because of the church's influence! I suppose contraception being limited by the church back in the day also didn't bother you.

Or people not being allowed to divorce to escape loveless marriages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

If they're going to continue with the ban on alcohol sales they should at least change the name to Okay Friday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Collie D wrote: »
    The same thing as the rest of us. Not all tourists are here to get pissed...I really despair about people who seem to think they can't have a good time without getting rat-arsed. I'm not preaching because I enjoy a good session myself but I'm not going to cry about one day without it. If I'm that pushed, I'll get some cans and have a party or a poker-night.

I'm not suggesting that all tourists are here to get pissed, but you will struggle to find anything open entertainment wise tomorrow evening which leave them with the option of siting in the residents bar, or going to the cinema. Buying some cans in the off license and going to a house party is not an option either although that is what most of the population will likely be doing.

I'm sure there are plenty of non-drink related things that can be done an any other night of the year but due to the pubs being shut that has the knock on effect of everything else being shut as well on Good Friday.

2) Lobby your politicians to change the law (you did request this last time they came canvasing, yeah?)

If the vinter's association can't get it changed I doubt I could :P

If the vinter's association can't get it changed I doubt I could :P

Why not? Laws have been changed on the sale of contraceptives. Laws have been changed on divorce. Whay can't the law change on pubs remaining open on GF?

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Do pubs have to close due to the 'sale' of alcohol? Can the pubs technically stay open without 'selling' booze?
    If so, why don't pubs get around this loophole.
    Maybe some kind of 'tab' system in place, where customers get their beers noted on a card, and the tabs have to be paid off in full after midnight.
    Or the customers could have paid for 'booze vouchers' the day previous, then just exchange them for booze on the day...

Why not? Laws have been changed on the sale of contraceptives. Laws have been changed on divorce. Whay can't the law change on pubs remaining open on GF?

I think you might have misunderstood what I was saying. I recognise laws can be changed and have been. But I also recognise that there is an established, powerful lobby that (I would think, after all everyone likes more money right?) would be in favour of the change and yet the change still hasn't happened. So in comparing my influence to theirs I have determined my chance of changing the law is much smaller than theirs. And since their success in changing the law has been zero, mine would be less than zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Ireland isn't the only country that has alcohol bans. Thailand bans alcohol on election days and on the King and Queens birthdays every year.

Note: These are days that are important to every Thai person. Not just 92% of the population, of whom only about 10% actually have anything to do with a church, but allow the others to also call themselves "Catholic".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

I'll be down my local supermarket buying alcohol tonight. Don't have any plans for tomorrow and may not even touch a drop. But I want to know that I can drink if I want rather than having the church dictate that I can't

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

eve wrote: »
    I'll be down my local supermarket buying alcohol tonight. Don't have any plans for tomorrow and may not even touch a drop. But I want to know that I can drink if I want rather than having the church dictate that I can't

This is what makes me laugh, and no disrespect to your good self. Its almost for spite that many people have the same view. A bit silly when you think about it.

I wouldnt call it a church thing either, the church dont make the laws of the land anymore!

Some people religious or otherwise, make the sacrifice of not drinking on GF for spiritual reasons.

Funny hows these threads recycle themselves every year. And each year its less compelling to make a point about it.

Note: These are days that are important to every Thai person.

Exactly, and they don't make a song and dance about not being able to buy beers or whinge about why are these days different to any other day. They just get on with it, mai bpen rai!:)

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

faceman wrote: »
    I wouldnt call it a church thing either, the church dont make the laws of the land anymore!
    Can you deny that the laws that are currently in place were put in place
    when the church pretty much did?
    Some people religious or otherwise, make the sacrifice of not drinking on GF for spiritual reasons.
    Why should those who are not spiritual or of a similar religious nature to you
    have your beliefs imposed and forced on them? Should it not be a case
    where if you choose to follow a particular set of beliefs you do so and if
    you don't you are not force fed them?
    Funny hows these threads recycle themselves every year. And each year its less compelling to make a point about it.
    The only thing that's less compelling each year is the reason to continue
    with this archaic practice for either misguided religious or 'traditional' reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I always make a point of overdoing it on good friday, check out the offo's after work closes today. Queues streaching out doors car parks packed. The people panic and have to buy drink because if you decided to drink tomorrow and didnt have it bought you would be fooked. Ive got a bottle of dark rum and a bottle of yager at home but im going to stop in the offo and get a crate (should be fun to cycle home with a crate))

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Can you deny that the laws that are currently in place were put in place
    when the church pretty much did?

Nope, dont deny that. But they dont make the laws anymore, therefore the government can undo it at anytime.
    wrote:

Nobody is forcing anything on anyone here. There is nothing to stop anyone on consumping alcohol on GF. What do you mean by your comment above in bold? I havent oppressed or imposed my views on anyone here! (yet! ;)) Nor have i stated what my religion or lack of is!
    wrote:
    with this archaic practice for either misguided religious or 'traditional' reasons.

I dont know, we have a massive problem with alcohol abuse in ireland unfortunately. It has a dramatic impact on the health service. Smoking was the same (and still is to some degree) but the government imposed a smoking ban which has started to have positive effects.

For people who don't give a f*ck about the Church/law/whatever there seem to be a lot of people here determined to get drunk just to "piss off" the Church. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

TBH I think all it does is fuel our "right" to outrage. I could agree with you on the principle of it but it impinges on me far too little to be bothered by it all.
    It's not as if a fundamental right is being infringed. And if it does upset you and others here, run for election and get it changed.

But Saturday will come , people will be hungover, the world will not have ended and we'll mothball this thread till next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Exactly, and they don't make a song and dance about not being able to buy beers or whinge about why are these days different to any other day

You're missing the point again. The reason I can't buy alcohol tomorrow is because of someone else's beliefs being rammed down the throat of our lawmakers, who haven't got the balls to drag "little old Catholic Ireland" into the middle of the 20th century, let alone the 21st.

To me, tomorrow is just any other day. It is completely unimportant to me. It happens to be the first Friday in a long while on which I'm not working late.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't consider myself a Catholic in a million years but nor do I have this major hatred or chip on my shoulder about the religion.

Question for all the people saying "I can't tolerate the Church saying why can't I have a driink". Are you working tomorrow or have you got a day off because of the Holy Day...same applies for Monday. :cool:

Advertisement