Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday - no drink - acceptable now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

How about places Giving away Booze? like, buy a steak dinner, get 4 pints?

I was in a restaurant on good Friday a couple of years ago and they said they couldn't serve booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Nature Boy wrote: »
    I was in a restaurant on good Friday a couple of years ago and they said they couldn't serve booze.
    Woooooooooooooooooo!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

darkman2 wrote: »
    Yeah but Catholic or not you will notice a sharp run down in violence on Good Friday

Tell that to Jesus Christ Superstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It really is a double standard to prohibit alcohol based on religious reasons, but not to prohibit meat.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think it's good for us whether the catholic church say so or not.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

The pubs close for 2 days a year!!! get over it. I cant not believe the amount of threads that have been created over friday. seriously people if you cannot go one friday night without going out on the complete lash, you have a serious drink problem and should get yourselves over to PI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

The fact that the sale of alcohol is forbidden and abstinence from meat is expected on Good Friday are the only things that actually make the day stand out from any other day in the year... most people, including people who regard themselves as being religious, don't even know what Good Friday is about from a religious perspective... if we could go pub and what not as usual, then the religious celebration of Good Friday would slip into oblivion as people would just do what they would every other Friday and not even know when Good Friday was coming about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

derek27 wrote: »
    most people, including people who regard themselves as being religious, don't even know what Good Friday is about from a religious perspective...

:confused: What kind of clueless souls do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

Collie D wrote: »
    :confused: What kind of clueless souls do you know?

There's plenty of them out there... try asking 15 or 20 of your mates this evening what Good Friday is about exactly and see how many of them give you the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Personally i am endlessly amused by it. It's like when the coffee machine in work breaks and every freaks out.

It's one ****ing day but dammit it's close to the funniest one of the year!

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    Personally i am endlessly amused by it. It's like when the coffee machine in work breaks and every freaks out.

It's one ****ing day but dammit it's close to the funniest one of the year!

**** no. I could go one day without drinking...but if there's no coffee in work I'm downing tools until I've had my fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

The Law comes from a 1927 act but has been substituted in a 2000 act so the law has been updated recently (in terms of law) but remains the same, so i doubt the gov't will decide to change this anytime soon.

Personally i don't drink, but i do find it a bit ridiculous in a supposedly modern multi-cultural society that we have to shut all the pubs down on good friday and christmas, because they're religious holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It strikes me as funny that a lot of people on this thread:

a) have a prob with Roman Catholicism/Christianity
    b) choose to live in Ireland!

Hee hee - how dumb can you get? It's not like there is a shortage of other countries you could move to and Ryanair is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If people have an urge to drink that much, AA might in fact be a better place to go. Aside from the fact that posters moaning about pubs being closed are also likely to be the very ones who would be posting in a thread about "rip-off" pubs.

Personally it never bothered me and considering the debauchery of last weekend not necessarily a bad thing. Much as I have fallen over or asleep from drinking too much, I have never been able to see the attraction of just drinking for the sake of it. After all it ends up down the toilet one way or another. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

is_that_so wrote: »
    Personally it never bothered me and considering the debauchery of last weekend not necessarily a bad thing.

Bingo, and Saturday night in town will the same old bull****. People acting like they haven't seen a drink in years and falling around the place, fighting and ****ing in the streets.

Personally i can't avoid town but at the very least i will bring my camera!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

I have no issues with drink and can easily abstain for a day, week or month If I so wish. however, I have a major issue with the government telling me I cant go for a drink tomorrow night because the catholic church says so - im not even a practising catholic!
    Religion should not be ruling the country to this extent in this day and age. :mad: Many people are not catholics or even religious and yet are forced to obey these rules. If we cant drink surely restaurants and shops should not be allowed to sell meat either or is it just a coincidence that the church and government latched onto the alchohol bit only

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    The issue isn't that people can't go without it, it's that the pubs close for a Christian holiday in a supposedly secular state.

Yeah, we should open the boozers 'cause we're a secular state now. The Muslims must be pissed off not being able to get locked. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

however, I have a major issue with the government telling me I cant go for a drink tomorrow night because the catholic church says so - im not even a practising catholic!
    Religion should not be ruling the country to this extent in this day and age. :mad:

Did you discuss this "major issue" with your local politicians during the election campaign?

How exactly does religion rule this country? People living in Ireland fcuking moaning about the church all the time should maybe just sit back and realise how lucky they are to live here in a democracy compared with pretty much anywhere else - China, Middle East, Africa to name but a few regions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

derek27 wrote: »
    most people, including people who regard themselves as being religious, don't even know what Good Friday is about from a religious perspective... if we could go pub and what not as usual, then the religious celebration of Good Friday would slip into oblivion as people would just do what they would every other Friday and not even know when Good Friday was coming about.

Is it to celebrate jebus getting nailed?
    Out of sympathy we don't go out and get hammered in a pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

2 Days out of 365/366 i have no problem with it if anyone has a problem with it go to the offlicence thursday!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chilliwra

Does anyone know of any pubs/clubs that open after midnight in Dublin tomorrow? Have visitors for the weekend and they're basically just here for Good Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

My friend turned 18 on Good Friday last year. Didn't like that one bit.

Secular state my ass. People are just too afraid to tell their parents that they aren't the God-fearing church-goers they were raised to be.

I'm a prod anyway. I should be allowed. Work it like they do in Morocco - you can only sell drink to non-Muslims!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Macros42 wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with abstaining. I abstain regularly (as in I don't drink every night) but I do have a problem with the church telling me when I can't drink or what I can eat. Dinner on Friday will be a huge big **** off steak with a gallon of good wine. And that'll be after a nice fry for breakfast and some snacks during the day - take that black fast! :D

+1. Game pie containing six species (one of em now extinct):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Just wondering does anyone have a problem with not being able buy drink on Good Friday? I consider myself Catholic but think this is OTT. What do you think? Perhaps you think its good. Less thugs running around feulled on alcohol for one night?

I don't consider myself Catholic and think I should be able to buy drink when I like, just another silly rule made up by the church, just like the no eating meat on Friday. If God is the type of person that gives a **** about this kind of petty stuff send me to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Fùck it, I don't care about the drink factor in pubs of a Good Friday, just go to the off-license sometime today. I know I will.

What I hate about Good Friday is the fact that it's a national shutdown and there's nothing to do and nowhere to go. The Gardaì in my town have a tendency to slowly follow you if you're seen walking through the town after 10, which is another deterrent from going outside for a walk.

Ah well, I'll be enjoying debauchary tommorrow in me mate's flat with some beer, fags, and cards.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

topper75 wrote: »
    It strikes me as funny that a lot of people on this thread:

a) have a prob with Roman Catholicism/Christianity
    b) choose to live in Ireland!

Hee hee - how dumb can you get? It's not like there is a shortage of other countries you could move to and Ryanair is cheap.

Congratulations on completely missing the point.

a) I have no problem with them as long as they don't try to tell Me what to do.
    b) Ireland is a secular nation, which means if I don't want to listen to the RCC I shouldn't have to.

Seeing as I was born here, why should I have to move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭boardinwork

Just wondering does anyone have a problem with not being able buy drink on Good Friday? I consider myself Catholic but think this is OTT. What do you think? Perhaps you think its good. Less thugs running around feulled on alcohol for one night?

Ill be selling cans on the Canal opposite Portobello College.

Bud - €6
    Heineken - €6
    Dutch Gold - €5
    Linden Village Flaggins - €16

:cool:

Ill be selling cans on the Canal opposite Portobello College.

Bud - €6
    Heineken - €6
    Dutch Gold - €5
    Linden Village Flaggins - €16

:cool:

A more cunning business plan would be to announce this offer tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's the longest weekend of the year but everything of interest shuts down for the first day of it. Cannot do much for the impression that any tourists coming over for the weekend have of this country when they find everything shut due to some daft religious reasons once they get here.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    It's the longest weekend of the year but everything of interest shuts down for the first day of it. Cannot do much for the impression that any tourists coming over for the weekend have of this country when they find everything shut due to some daft religious reasons once they get here.

Who gives a toss about the tourists??? Why are people always worried about what the world thinks. If these tourists are only here to get pissed then we don't need them, let them shag off back to Newcastle.*

*No offence to Geordies, was just the first place I could think of that produced lasger-swilling, brainless Neanderthals

Advertisement