Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Osteopaths - Yay or Nay!

• 12-09-2007 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi,

I injured my neck a while back & it has been getting progressively worse since then. I have ridiculous pain in it.. nearly all the time. It's getting to the point where I can't exercise at all.

I have had an MRI and X-Rays but they have showed up nothing. I went to the doc this week and she recommended I see an osteopath. Have any of you any experience with Osteopaths, are they any good etc. Sorry if this is the wrong forum, didn't know where else to put it!

Any experiences / thoughts welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

rcs wrote:
    Hi,

I injured my neck a while back & it has been getting progressively worse since then. I have ridiculous pain in it.. nearly all the time. It's getting to the point where I can't exercise at all.

I have had an MRI and X-Rays but they have showed up nothing. I went to the doc this week and she recommended I see an osteopath. Have any of you any experience with Osteopaths, are they any good etc. Sorry if this is the wrong forum, didn't know where else to put it!

Any experiences / thoughts welcome :)

Yay - see an osteopath myself on a irregular basis (also see a chiropractor regularly) the lady I see is very good but as with all health care professional sthat are not statutorily regulated (ie by the government) it is always a good idea to ask if that person is properly trained, registered with a professional body and to confirm locally if they are recommended. Might also be worth bringing your x-rays and EMGs to the osteopath too - good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

*note I have no connection with the service below other than that i used them.

I used Pembroke Osteopathic Clinic (016603635) cant remember the guys name but three sessions later I was better. Personally I thought the guy was talented. He told me the exact problem I had, how he was going to fix it, that I would need 2-3 sessions and that I would be sore after.

I would recommend highly.

I have also used The Castlewood clinic in rathmines for Physical Therapy and that was also really good. Dont have a number any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

well worth the money, they will treat the cause of the problem as opposed to the symptoms like most physio and ciro's.

I have use a good one in Ratgar PM if your interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Thank you for your replies. I just a couple more questions :)

What is it they do that is different from say a Physio / chiropractor?

&

What on average do they charge per visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 StarG

I would also second the recommendation for Pembroke Osteopathis Clinic. Cameron is the name of the guy there or Natasha. I have been to both and they have always sorted my problems out quickly. Natasha also combines accupuncture if necessary in her treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

rcs wrote:
    What is it they do that is different from say a Physio / chiropractor?

rcs it is probably best to compare all three; osteopaths, chiropractors and physiotherapists.

Originally osteopathy was a theory of disease and method of cure founded on the assumption that deformation of some part of the skeleton and consequent interference with the adjacent nerves and blood-vessels are the cause of most diseases, i.e. the body's well-being is dependent on the blood supply to the rest of the body

Chiropractic originally was a theory of disease and method of cure founded upon preventing mechanical disorders of the spine, and their consequent interference with the nervous system, the organs, glands and blood vessels supplied, and on general health, i.e. the body's well-being is dependent on the nerve supply to the rest of the body

Both professions enjoyed much success in these roles until the push in the last century by medicopharmeuceutical industry and the rush by both professions to cash in on the bonanza created by health care reimbursement for musculoskeletal problems.

There used to be chiropractic hospitals and mental institutions were people were successfully treated with chiropractic alone. Osteopathy and chiropractic enjoyed great succes during the flu pandemic of 1917-1918 with massively lowered death rates recored with both groups of patients versus those treated medically.

Today little separates the two professions from physiotherapy in the marketplace created by musculoskeletal disorders except for the fact that physiotherapy follows a traditional allopathic medical approach and many physios work in a medical setting.

The primary treatment objective of both osteopathy and physiotherapy is to remove bodily aches and pain.

Whilst some chiropractors concentrate on this as their primary objective many (about 50%) of chiropractors continue to focus on the function of the spine past pain and instead on the function, co-ordination and tone and their impact on whole body function and health. This has led to confusion with clients just looking their pain treated whilst the chiropractor is focusing on function past pain.

Training in different. In the UK both osteopathy and chiropractic are 5 year bachelors and masters degree courses. I assume this is the case for physiotherapy but I am not sure. In Ireland there is no course for chiropractic. For osteopathy it is a part time course I believe over a number of years and I understand physiotherapy is a three or four year course.

Whilst all osteopaths and chiropractors are trained in manipulation (in the case of osteopathy) and adjustments (in the case of chiropractic), physiotherapists are in general not and if so to a lesser degree.

Chiropractors are trained to take and interpret x-rays whereas osteopaths are trained only in their interpretation. For this reason, x-ray analysis is more widespread in chiropractic practice. Physiotherapists are not trained in either as far as I know.

Apart from manipulation, osteopaths use other physiotherapy techniques such as stretching, pressure and mobilization. Osteopaths are also trained in cranial osteopathy or cranio-sacral therapy, which is seldom used by chiropractors. In comparison to chiropractors, osteopaths tend to place more emphasis on soft tissue/muscle work and articulation/mobilisation of joints.

Neither chiropractor nor osteopaths in general are trained in therapy machines to the same levels as physiotherapists.

In Ireland anyone can call themselves a chiropractor or osteopath (and have done so do make sure they are qualified and a member of a recognised professional body) but as far as I know to call yourself a physiotherapist you must legally now be qualified and registered as such.

Can’t think of any other differences. As to whose best that is a minefield and it depends as much as what is wrong with you as the type of practitioner, your personal choice and recommendations.

rcs wrote:
    What on average do they charge per visit?

Not sure about physiotherapists since I haven't used one for years now but the chiropractor I see regularly (most weeks) worked out a fee structure for me that worked out to be around €25per adjustment with all re-exams inc regular EMGs free. Usually it was €40 per adjustment and €50 for re-exams. The osteopath lady I see on an irregular basis charges €50 per sesson. They are both worth every penny.

Advertisement