Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Laptops!

Options
  • 01-05-2007 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

apparently these are new, searching for site feedback...

http://calemet.co.uk/products.php?category=11&page=1

Delivery charges are high and western union transfer only
    Destination 0-1kg 1-3kg 3-10kg 10-50kg 50-100kg
    DHL/UPS (European Union) €47.00 €48.00 €55.00 €67.00 €95.00
    DHL/UPS (USA & Canada) €47.00 €48.00 €55.00 €67.00 €95.00
    DHL/UPS (Rest of the world) €51.00 €53.00 €58.00 €71.00 €99.00
    FedEx (USA & Canada) €43.00 €45.00 €49.00 €59.00 €79.00
    EMS (All of the world) €39.00 €39.00 €39.00 €47.00 €59.00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

from same site a 32 inch lcd for only €248 free shipping
    http://calemet.co.uk/items.php?id=27671230

and a 42 inch samsung plasma for €449 free delivery
    http://calemet.co.uk/items.php?id=7954509

if its too good to be true...

scam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Yeah i think that is all too good to be true and western union money transfer this is defo a scam site...

and a .co.uk for a non-uk resident with an address in new york

Skud wrote:
    apparently these are new, searching for site feedback...

http://calemet.co.uk/products.php?category=11&page=1

Delivery charges are high and western union transfer only

Hmm its a bit fishy. Their domain was only regitered last month.

I would be wary of these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

i feel the same way... don't think you can offer a macbook for cheaper than apple... but usually ppl are on the ball here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Love the added touches of live webcams in Offices in UK and their warehouse in Soeul....smells fishy alright...allow credit card payments for UK residents supposedly...theirs a UK address given on the contact us page too..its a bit weird this one...

• Advertisement

and a contact number... anyone gonna give it a ring? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

they have certainly put in the effort with the website but i still say its a scam

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have heard something about these guys before, avoid

Not in English but tells you a bit more, Palestine!!!!

http://www.minhembio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155115

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭rgfuller

If you google "calemet uk" you get a "This site may harm your computer warning" : I would steer well clear.

http://www.google.ie/support/bin/answer.py?answer=45449&topic=360&hl=en&sa=X&oi=malwarewarninglink&resnum=1&ct=help

http://www.londononline.co.uk/area/Trafalgar_Road_SE10/

that link clears it up ^^

Calemet.co.uk Address:
    Calemet Inc.
    121 Trafalgar Rd
    London, SE10 9TY, UK

Tel: +44 20-8123-2212
    Fax: +44 20-8123-2211

vs

M E T - Rx Seminars
    Physiotherapists (Hospitals & Medical Establishments) based in the Trafalgar Roadarea of London
    Tel: 020 82692266
    Address: 121 Trafalgar Road London SE10 9TY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If it appears too good to be true then it is.

Avoid like the plague

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

These guys are on the go again, they set up as www.starkdigital.co.uk around christmas, seemingly caught out alot of people, had the same office webcam and all, well at least they let you see them robbing you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I looked at one of their webcam jpegs, where there was a logo on it "jobs.ac.uk"

If you make your way to the site....................

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/info/webcam/

Perhaps these people have got two jobs, in identically furnished and peopled offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

Tel: +44 20-8123-2212
    Fax: +44 20-8123-2211

Even the phone number looks dodgy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭jc7

I sent them an email yesterday asking them to drop the 59euro delivery charge to Ireland.......done! That's great customer relations for you.

Or, if you like you could check out these sites;
    digiequip
    digitaldale
    digitalsys

This list goes on....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I contacted jobs.ac.uk to let them know that their webcam photo had been hijacked. They've tried emails and telephoning, neither meeting with any response. They came up with another web address for this shower.

http://inteh.co.uk:80/cameras.php (Probably on jc7's endless list somewhere.)

The original Calemet Manchester sales office (or Jobs.Ac.Uk's real Coventry webcam) now appears to have moved to London!

yep i wanted to warn the lads in london who's address they are using, but I couldn't find an email address anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

balls, was hoping this was for real. in the market for a mac laptop. If a legit business could offer products at those prices they would clean up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭jc7

This is where I saw the list of different sites......here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Jesus they went to a fair bit of trouble to set up those sites though, didn't they? Scammy bastards...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

the testimonials are the best lol
    I needed a laptop and so I went to my Dad for help. He told me that Calemet.co.uk was the ONLY place to go. He said that he wouldnt trust anyone else. I got my computer 3 days before I expected it, and it is a dream. This was THE very best purchase experience I have ever had. My Dad was right, Calemet is the ONLY place to go. This is the only place I recommend now to everyone I know. Thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

LOL just looked at the properties of the staff picture and it ends with "tigerpeople2.gif" Google image that and see what you get.

tigerpeople2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

While on the subject of dodgy websites, anyone come across this one before www.fewto.com??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

There's always something dodgy about big websites who have an @hotmail.com email address...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ShowUsYourXbox

Just rang one the uk number on their site. I got an asnwering machine after a few rings "This is Company Name here, if you are looking for Calemet, this is not the right number. Otherwise please leave a message after the tone"

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

inode wrote:
    the testimonials are the best lol

Brilliant, "I got my laptop 3 days before I ordered it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 iami

I have posted the following on another website before I read this post.

I have tried to order several cameras from the website www.calemet.co.uk which I learned about by advertising on eBay.
    Although this website offers payment Visa-Master-American Express etc-credit cards, no matter what information you enter, you are finally requested to send money via WesternUnion to

The payment must be sent on the name of our sales manager Mr. Andris Saldavs.

Address: 121 Trafalgar Rd
    City: London

I called the number +44 20-8123-2212 in "contact us" and I spoke to a guy who said he had nothing to do with Calemet Inc. He said he receives many calls from frustrated customers and already emailed Calemet Inc to correct what he said was a mistake but never received a reply and people continued to call him. I asked if he ever thought he became a victim of a fraud and contacted the police. He denied so I did several frustrating calla from the Czech Republic to Greenwich Police station 020 8853 1212 where two policemen (women) refused to open a case because they said that a) no crime has happened, b) I was phoning from outside the UK and should go to local police, and other blah-blah-blah.
    I contacted the supervising website to report to shut down this website and they said they cant do anything about such fraudulent websites. I contacted www.nic.uk and made a search for calemet.co.uk with the following result:
    Name servers: ns1.palestine-dns.org and ns2.palestine-dns.org and a New York address
    111 EAST 48TH ST
    NEW YORK 10017
    United States

I checked about palestine-dns.org on www.nic.com with the result:
    Created On:15-Dec-2006 16:29:58 UTC
    Expiration Date:15-Dec-2007 16:29:58 UTC
    Registrant ID NLC-2504504-4
    Registrant Name:Said Mahmod
    Registrant Organization:Said Mahmod inc.
    Registrant Street1:Gavi-ayesh 34 21
    Registrant Street2:Gavi-ayesh 34 21
    Registrant Street3:
    Registrant City:Reeayad
    Registrant State/Province:Reeayad
    Registrant Postal Code:7849343
    Registrant Country:PW
    Registrant Phone:+96.485743234
    Registrant Phone Ext.:1111
    Registrant FAX:+96.485743234
    Registrant FAX Ext.:
    Registrant Email:abdulla@abdulla.cc
    Admin ID NLC-2504504-1
    Admin Name:Said Mahmod
    Admin Organization:Said Mahmod inc.
    Admin Street1:Gavi-ayesh 34 21
    Admin Street2:Gavi-ayesh 34 21
    Admin Street3:
    Admin City:Reeayad
    Admin State/Province:Reeayad
    Admin Postal Code:7849343
    Admin Country:PW
    Admin Phone:+96.485743234
    Admin Phone Ext.:1111
    Admin FAX:+96.485743234
    Admin Email:abdulla@abdulla.cc
    Tech ID NLC-2504504-2
    Tech Name:Said Mahmod
    Tech Organization:Said Mahmod inc.
    Tech Street1:Gavi-ayesh 34 21
    Tech Street2:Gavi-ayesh 34 21
    Tech City:Reeayad
    Tech State/Province:Reeayad
    Tech Postal Code:7849343
    Tech Country:PW
    Tech Phone:+96.485743234
    Tech Phone Ext.:1111
    Tech FAX:+96.485743234
    Tech Email:abdulla@abdulla.cc
    Name Server:NS1.PALESTINE-DNS.ORG
    Name Server:NS2.PALESTINE-DNS.ORG

I became very alerted and called the Greeenwich police again. They were not interested at all even to send an officer to Trafalgar Rd. to check wheather the company existed there and simply hung up. So I checked again on www.met.police.uk and called the Confidential Anti Terrorist Hotline 0800 789 321. I reported what has happened and what were the results of my investigation and after me 5 minutes talking to the guy he said that they knew about Calemet Inc. and were already looking into it. So I wrote off my money understanding I became a victime of a fraud but finally relieved that I was not alone and that it was something really big.
    Now 3 weeks later I have checked what happened to the www.calemet.co.uk website and was very, very much suprised that it still existed, and that it has been updated with new information and that one can still order from them (obviously only beeing asked to transfer money via Western Union). So I called again the Anti Terrorist Hotline and this time another guy did not know about the website and put me off by saying that I have been duped by one of thousands of websites and should contact the Czech police. I have explained that the crime happened in the UK because I ordered from an address in the UK and not in the Czech Republic but he said I must go to the police station where the crime happend. He also told me that he will not further investigate the case, ignored that his colleague was interested in before and confirmed that the ATH are investigating. To me this case looks very very sad. It looks like anyone can register a website, dupe customers who send money via Western Union to a London address without the police beeing interested in if a victim reports it.
    ´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´
    end of posting

Now reflecting what you guys wrote I understand that it is really easy to register such a fradulent website and catch innocent customers (like I was). What is really shocking is the way that the Metropolitan police is treating a person reporting a crime. After having spent hours on the phone trying to express myself and as a result beeing put off by the police where several times they just hang up the phone I have found more information on your website. I ask myself what the helpdesk of the Metropolitan police is for if they don't control the basic rules of decency and that is not to just to put the phone down if a victim is calling. This time it was only about money but the next time it could be big **** heading to UK. Probably one has to introduce himself as Bin L. or George W. to gain respect?

(Sorry for my English - I am an alien but really thinking to settle down in UK and open some scam site co.uk to improve my earnings. Anyone will provide an adress and phonenumber and receive the Western Union payments - for 5% comission - just kidding). I hope that I have not provoked the police to send the special squad to invade me or Bin Laden in the Czech Republic...

Now all jokes aside: have you realized how professional these webpages are done? Many of honest websites could take a leaf out of this book. What is shocking that none of the responsible bodies (eBay, nic, police) is shutting down these websites and the police is simpy ignoring if you report it. This is very suspicious and I wish Bin L. and George W. could bang these websites instead of innocent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The police get more mention in your post than calemet do so i have to ask the question - Is your gripe with calemet or the English police. If its the latter you should be addressing the matter elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ThadeusNZ

Well only wish I had found this board before I sent them my money!! Same story as iami above - sent western union transfer because they don't accept credit cards from outside of the UK - or so the story goes. :mad:

I did some digging beforehand but not enough and was simply too trusting. Have found out the following since though:
    • They run calemet.co.uk and a mirror of it at inteh.co.uk and probably others
    • They have nicked a vast majority of the code for these sites and possibly others from tigerdirect.com which I believe is a legitimate US-based site (I have rung them and told them about the scam)
    I am in NZ and therefore unable to do much more about it except spread the word and be more cautious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

ThadeusNZ wrote:
    Well only wish I had found this board before I sent them my money!! Same story as iami above - sent western union transfer because they don't accept credit cards from outside of the UK - or so the story goes. :mad:

I did some digging beforehand but not enough and was simply too trusting. Have found out the following since though:
    • They run calemet.co.uk and a mirror of it at inteh.co.uk and probably others
    • They have nicked a vast majority of the code for these sites and possibly others from tigerdirect.com which I believe is a legitimate US-based site (I have rung them and told them about the scam)
    I am in NZ and therefore unable to do much more about it except spread the word and be more cautious.

Did nobody teach you how to proceed with caution on the web? I have strict rules of either meeting face to face or using a credit card.

Advertisement