Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fisticuffs.

Options
  • 12-11-2006 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

You're not missing anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You haven't committed suicide either, I bet that's a once in a lifetime experience too.

Fighting is dumb

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you better not diss samurai jack mother****er

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Fighting is dumb.

On the other hand it would be nice to know one's physical capabilities.

Fighting is without doubt, part of every single human being's ( if not every creature's) natural defense system. Some obiously embrace this more than others and tend to fight regularly and for no particular reason, your burger story for example. This is stupid.

As for missing out. Well, you are missing out, but missing out on something bad. So you're sort of not missing out...

You could always take up boxing or cage fighting, or something.
    A fight that isn't fuelled by madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

So, have you ever been in a fight? details.....?

T.Sc.
    havin worked as a bar man for ages i had to get into the middle of a lot of fights, one asshole broke my nose once while i was saving him from getting his ass kicked, so then i had to be pulled off him cause i was intent on kickin the tar out of him, simple answer slap yourself hard on the nose, poke yourself in the eye and get someone to give you a ballshot if you don't like it don't get in a fight cause your missing nothing.

ps why do so many irish men fight like bloody punch and judy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

ps why do so many irish men fight like bloody punch and judy

What they beat each other with strings of sausages !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Chicks mightn't admit it but they get all warm and tingly when they see a man fight. Of course the fight has to be for a valid reason( ie defending someones honour or righting a wrong) or else its just thuggery

Sit any girl down on a sofa and make them watch Fight Club and watch the results. Pighead guarantees that when the films over they will have flushed cheeks and when they walk across the room they will leave a glistening trail behind them much like a snail would on a cold winters morn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

POTW! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Owh, Pighead. Thats disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'll fight ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I broke some bloke's jaw in first year, 20 odd years ago. Haven't so much as thrown a punch since, but hten I don't drink a lot and I hate pubs and nightclubs so I'm probably low risk.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Pighead wrote:
    Chicks mightn't admit it but they get all warm and tingly when they see a man fight. Of course the fight has to be for a valid reason( ie defending someones honour or righting a wrong) or else its just thuggery

Sit any girl down on a sofa and make them watch Fight Club and watch the results. Pighead guarantees that when the films over they will have flushed cheeks and when they walk across the room they will leave a glistening trail behind them much like a snail would on a cold winters morn.

Depends on which man. If it's Pighead's woman and Pighead's taking a thumping, will Pighead's woman still have the warm and tingly feeling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

So firstly allow me to clear up that i'm not a scumbag and that I in no way condone voilence etc... but still, in my drunken walk home i thought it was a valid argument. Am i missing out in a fundamental life experience? Engaging in some form of physical conflict with a counterpart?

When i mean i have'nt fought anyone i mean i havent been in a fight, ever... not even in the school playground. I have always seemed to be able to talk my way out of such situations.

So, have you ever been in a fight? details.....?

Never? Not once in your 12 odd years of school, and I dont know how many years of drinking, that you never came across one gob****e who either provoked you or hit you? I was watching Bernard Dunne last night and thought jaysus, hes a true schoolyard or outside the pub brawler with the moves on him :D

I was down in Cavan on the tear last night and I tell you, whilst in Dublin you are more likely to be a victim of robbery, and more people get stabbed or shot, in the country you are god knows how many times more likely to get into a fight with some knobend who has been drinking since before midday, they are simply more violent, alcoholic ignorant people. In a Dublin club if you bump into a guy, even a skanger, 99% of the time its a pat on the back and no worries bud. In the country, if someone bumps into YOU theyll treat it as a severe sleight on their person, ****ing ****. In a club in Dublin, if you are on the floor dancing up to some bird and her man comes in, he usually puts his arm around her to signify "sorry shes taken" and its all good, fair play. The play in the country is you dance up to a bird and you get a push to the chest from her man, and if you are drunk enough you retaliate (thankfully I was grand so I said **** it, I cant be arsed with a brawl tonight im here for a laugh). Honestly, last night me and my friend were involved in maybe 5 near rows with ignorant pricks with too much in them. Most nights in Dublin we wouldnt be involved in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

people from 'the country' are generally grand to other people from 'the country', we're just not all that fond of dubs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Depends on which man. If it's Pighead's woman and Pighead's taking a thumping, will Pighead's woman still have the warm and tingly feeling?
    Depends what day it is. If its today we're talking about, then yes, yes she would. We're probably talking screaming orgasms here as she watches my once handsome face get mashed and bloodied by her brutal hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Fights out side training: 1
    Fights as part of training: many.

All of them were never fun, im not the fighting type and the few time I have had to get myself out of a fight situation I have done the wise thing and walked/run away. Many people will say its cowardly but take up a martial art for a few years (~12) and you can learn how much fun a fight is(not) and all about your physical capabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Mordeth wrote:
    people from 'the country' are generally grand to other people from 'the country', we're just not all that fond of dubs :)

Thats odd, as the last time i was down in the space of an hour (around 10:30 to 11:30) i saw no less than 4 brawls between big red faced rope-armed boyos have to be broken up by the bouncers. They hate outsiders, locals and everyone else ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Some drunken idiot calling you mother a whore (or whatever) doesn't really hurt (especially considering the source) ...a broken nose or some missing teeth on the other hand hurt like hell.

Also consider the risk of inflicting some serious damage. Fellow human beings aren't that sturdily buildt really and one wrong swing can handicap for life or even kill.

Never been in a fight and have every intention of keeping it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Da Bounca wrote:
    On the other hand it would be nice to know one's physical capabilities.
    Unless you're trained to the point where you'll almost always get into the right state of mind in such an event there's a lot of randomness to how fights go in any case.

I've been attacked a few times and would say that how I acquitted myself in each varied considerably from doing very badly, doing very well, and getting out of it by sheer blind luck (literally, I had my eyes closed in panic).

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote:
    Depends what day it is. If its today we're talking about, then yes, yes she would. We're probably talking screaming orgasms here as she watches my once handsome face get mashed and bloodied by her brutal hero.

Pighead's woman has a very srtrange understanding of the word "foreplay". "Oh, hurt me!" she maoned, "No, one second thoughts, hurt Pighead"...

Did Pighead just refer to himself in the first person...?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Did Pighead just refer to himself in the first person...?

That must be the most common sentence on boards!

He does do it every now and again, you know!

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    That must be the most common sentence on boards!

He does do it every now and again, you know!
    Dear God... is nothing sacred any more...?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I got in a bitch fight in 6th class. There was hair-pulling and slapping. She started it, I just had to protect myself. It hurt and I cried for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I absolutely loath fighting and if theres one about to break out, you'll usually find me trying to talk it down. That said, I've been in a fair few fights over the years. Its always a case where I'm defending myself though, having tried to talk it down at first and finding a fist thrown my way I naturally, and understandably, had to defend myself.

Knackers seem to want to "start" on me over absolutely anything!Seriously! One night, I had some little scumbag approach me as I was outside a club waiting for a taxi and "start" on me over my haircut! I couldn't believe it, he was there asking was I a homo (though I've never considered any of my haircuts to be stereotypically homosexual, though I'm straight myself), which I replied "No, but if I was, how would it be your problem?". Well, knackers don't like things that they've to think about it seems, so the little shíte tried to loaf me.
    In that case though, there were more of my friends with me than his friends with him (there was about 7 of us and only 3 of them, one who wanted nothing to do with it), so I explained in my calmest voice that if he tried that again, himself and his friends might not be so lucky as to not get a reaction and that they'd be best off leaving immediately. Hailed a taxi for them and told them to get into it, which they promptly did and the little knacker turns around on the back seat as they're pulling away and gives me the finger!Was quite funny at the time.

Another time a guy "started" on me over a top I was wearing, some knackers seem to want to just fight me because (as they have said) I'm a "poshie", one time they kicked it off over the brand of cigarettes I was smoking...the list is endless. I don't think I've ever been "started on"/confronted by anyone I'd consider a decent member of society though, if theres a confrontation with them (as there occasionally has been) its always been talked over.

The most recent was when I was attacked about two weeks ago, after trying to talk down a fight with these two knackers who wanted a fight for absolutely no reason, literally, one of them pounced on me. Held my own for a while but was soon outnumbered(their "buds" arrived), then they tried to crack a few bottles on my head but failed followed by them whipping out their knives. In that situation I did the sensible thing and ran. I think the fact that they were carrying knives was enough to prove to myself that I was in no way at fault, that they were just out looking for trouble.

So, theres a few stories for ya The Scientist :) Theres no point in going into ones that turned into proper fights really.

Again, I absolutely loath fighting and find it completely unnecessary although I will defend myself when I have to, some people are just violent I guess and won't listen to common sense. You're missing out on absolutely nothing by not being involved in them though I think you've just been lucky so far as to avoid a single one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Last Night whilst queing at at my local fast food establishment in my native Cork City i witnessed a one on one brawl on the street.

Hillbillies by any chance? I saw one there Halloween night, its funny to see for a few seconds then thats about it.

Iv only been in one playground fight, but that was stupid kids stuff. At this age, fighting is just a senseless thing. I wouldnt even argue with strangers(unless its a match, but not to a stage where fighting occurs). OP, your not missing out on aything, unless your desperate to do it. A local lad ws in court a few weeks ago chrged for manslaughter. He hit another guy who fell to the ground. His head hit the ground upon impact. when he got home, he died due to the blow on the head...its a dangerous thing. Sure look at Club Anabell's case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Some people are just jinxed. I lived in the city center of Dublin for 22 years and never once had any trouble walking around on a weekend night. However my friend (and his brother) who lives nearby seems to walk into trouble almost every time he's out. It must be a vibe the knackers pick up on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

PiE wrote:
    It must be a vibe the knackers pick up on.

Maybe so! But for quite a time I was going to the gym a lot, was quite built (though I still am to an extent, but not nearly as) and yet these scrawny little shíts seemed to want to have a go whenever they could!
    And I don't fear knackers, so its not like they're picking that up (in the same way animals do)! Perhaps they just see the clothes I wear or something and presume I came from a good background and are therefore less likely to be half decent at defending myself...I don't know...If it is some "vibe", I wish there was a spray or something to get rid of it because its seriously annoying me at this stage :mad:

That said, its not often I'm involved in a fight. Before that one two weeks ago, it was a long time since there'd been a confrontation that I wasn't able to talk down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

In primary school a guy was wrecking my head for about a week, tried a few times to get him to stop actin the maggot but of course it only made him worse. Ended up grabbin his head and smashing it against a stoney wall. We didn't see him for a week, but he didn't even whisper at me from then on. Didn't feel bad as I was about 10 at the time, it was probably a little OTT but at least i've never been in a bad fight since :D

Advertisement