Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fas sound engineering course

Options
  • 27-06-2006 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭

hey anyone here doing the course starting july 17th?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Spiritofeden

Hi
    Where did you see the info on that course?
    Is it just dublin do you know?
    J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 oneRoom

Hi Guys,
    There is a Media Engineering course in the Galway Technical Institute that features Sound Engineering & Production in addition to Radio Programme Production.

Next Term Starts in September, So its not too late to apply :)
    More info at www.gti.ie where you can apply.

Regards,
    OneRoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

its actually in tralee bud!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Anything closer to Offaly at all?

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I wont be there this year but almost certainly will be there next year, To my knowlege the majority of the course is in the jam factory studio ballyheighe.

Iv recorded out there twice for free now cause it gives experiance to the course people so its handy out. Good luck with the course man, who knows i might be seeing u somtime.

• Advertisement

thanks bud, just did my first week, im loving it so far! the jam factory is excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

How did this go? Is it running again? couldnt find any info about it? Course duration? Cost? etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

If it's in Tralee I think one of the tutors may well be Dennis Lovett. He was manager of Sun Studio's in Temple Bar and is a great guy.

Yeah dennis really knows his stuff! Great guy for sure

My course started on the 17th of july,ends around may/june.Course is free,in fact your paid to do it (it's fas of course) you have to do an interview,only 18people are taken on for the year,around 150 applied for this last year so you gotta be lucky i guess.The course is in tralee,no where else in ireland with fas,you work between a proper recording studio owned by the lead singer of reamonn,the jam factory, and the tralee fas centre itself,i'd recommend it as it's a very good course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I'm delighted to hear that something like this has become available in Ireland. It's pretty amazing really. I trained in a similar kind of set up about 10-12 years ago in Scandinavia, it was brilliant. It's taken us time but at least we have it now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jimmythebollox

I'm pretty sure that the FAS sound engineering course in Tralee doesn't begin until october 10th. Has anybody here applied, and if so, have you heard anything about when the interviews begin?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭nillox

i was nearly finished the course in popphill studio in kildare when i heard about the fas course, wish i took the fas course, i woulda saved 5000euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

What was the feedback on this btw? I nearly signed up this in its first year. Was trying to find a job after doing my Mus Tech course and thought it could have been a good way to get industry experience and make contacts for work. Curious to know what I missed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

Great course. I did it the year before last. Denis Lovette is a sound man to be sure. Getting paid to do a course in the beauty of Ballyheigue that costs thousands in cruddy Dublin is a big plus! Same city and guilds qualification which is pretty handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Gumbyman wrote: »
    Same city and guilds qualification which is pretty handy.

yeah, if you run out of jacks roll

they keep changing the starting date for this. thought it was in January, so was gonna do it next next year but now its in may....im most likely gonna be doin it. anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Seanie M wrote: »
    Anything closer to Offaly at all?

Seanie.

Seanie,
    There's a new course in Athlone IT combining Recording and Musical Instrument making.

Not may, march from what i hear, my dad was the assistand manager of fas so i heard is straight from the horses mouth. They have to buy in a load of new equipment and there changing the course dramaticly to include more sound enginering for buildings and stuff(like how to design a room without mssive echo for hotels and the like).

All i say is i cant friggen wait for this to start so i can quit my job. Michael guineys is NOT fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jamtheman

hey mikel de guiney - irelands leading brand! nice! anyways i rang up the other day and the guy on the fone was so sound!!!:) but he didnt really know much!!!he told me to call back in a month to check on how things wer going!!! im praying i get it!!!i wonder are the interviews hard to get past!!! is there many pplz applying??

• Advertisement

yea apparently the interviews are hard alright cause its the only sound engineering course that fas does in the country, also theres only like 20 places. I was given the advice of not just saying you want to work with music but all types of sound or else you mightnt get considered.

ouch 20 places!!:mad:!! hopefully i get picked thanks for the tip, ill keep that in mind!:D!!! if it starts in march then it wont be long until the interviews!!!:eek::confused:

Id say so, that is if it doesnt get knocked back again. This course was originally meant to start in febuary like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

There's plenty of options aside from FAS that don't cost the earth either. Coliste Dulaigh or whatever it's called, Bray institute in further Education, Bally Fermot etc.
    Some of which will take you further that a City & Guilds. Two of them do a Higher National Diploma, which has a higher points value than the Level 3 City and Guilds. From this you can Jump to a Degree course in it's final Year.

A degree in Sound Engineering! Who'd uh Thunk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Interesting, in my opinion Producing/Engineering has relatively little that can be taught and therefore learned, that can make you 'good' as a Producer/Sound engineer.

The only stuff you can learn in College, from what I've seen in Ireland so far is enough to get you into the 'Stadium', but no more.

You've still to find the starting line , which direction round the track the race is........... and don't even think about the race itself!

i had an interview for this course the other day and it was horrible. they gave me a weeks notice to drop everything i was doing in cork and move to tralee. i know its not hard but it was really sudden and out of the way.
    plus the ppl doing the interview were rude as ****. talking down to me and rolling their eyes at me for saying i wanted to get a qualification instead of having a job. definatly wasnt my fault cuz im quite the polite guy.
    meh, doesnt bother me much. gonna do the course in mallow instead.

Well that was the problem with my interview aswell, i said i would like to eventually get a masters in sound engineering and dennis'es jaw dropped. Apparently that was the wrong answer to give :( . O well still hoping to get it but i dunno now, that answer coulda destroyed my chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Patricide wrote: »
    Well that was the problem with my interview aswell, i said i would like to eventually get a masters in sound engineering and dennis'es jaw dropped. Apparently that was the wrong answer to give :( . O well still hoping to get it but i dunno now, that answer coulda destroyed my chances.

Chin up man, you never know how these things turn out ;)

As an aside, I don't know of any masters courses in sound engineering in Ireland... UL, Trinity, Maynooth and a few others offer masters in music technology alright but thats a completely kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Seanie,
    There's a new course in Athlone IT combining Recording and Musical Instrument making.

yeah, my friend knows the tutors... they aren't really sure what will be going on.. with course content ..

• Advertisement

got a place!!! gota find a place ta stay now!!

Advertisement