Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paganism and nazis

Options
  • 23-08-2005 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Heinrich Himmler was a fanatic paganist.
    Adolf Hitler was a (moderate) paganist.
    The German National Party (which gains more and more supporters) strongly refuses Christian faiths and praises German pagan believes.
    Skinheads wear pagan symbols on their marches.
    The music by neo- nazis are mainly about burning crosses and the coming back of Thor, the pagan God of thunder.
    (The reason why neo- nazis refuse Christianity is because the teachings of Christ tell that all human creatures are equal.)
    Joschka Fischer from the German Green Party said that paganism is one of today's biggest problem because it 'raises' skinheads.

Personally, I don't know much about this religious direction, but I heard a lot of hard criticisms and I'm curious of other opinions.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Thats a very braod kinda thing. Its like saying I have heard a lot of critiscisms about the church cuz of all the kiddie fiddlers, know what I mean?

What kind of hard criticisms did you hear, besides that some Nazis have chosen to be pagan? I'd be interested mainly to see what your view is, because it'd be hard to know what to base an answer on without that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

What you have there is a perversion of Asatru by those seeking to use it for their own racist agendas. Its been done with Christianity as well, by the same types (if not the same groups).

You can find a little info on this here:
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/asatru.htm

Most Asatruar reject discrimination in any and all forms, and have no time for those who hold racist views. I am aware that there are some that do, but you have racists belonging to every religion.

Hitler identified himself as a christian, and you can find numerous references to that here:
    http://atheism.about.com/library/quotes/bl_q_AHitler.htm

Himmler was, from all accounts, living in his own little world, and attempted to created something, incorporating elements from norse mythology, the authurian legends, and eastern practices as well. I'm not quite sure what you'd call it (though Dr Frankenstein may have a suggestion or two :D )

His activities were also mostly with the SS. He wanted to form them into some kind of Knightly order, and created his hodgepodge of beliefs to reinforce the attributes he wanted that order to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NeilJ

Most Asatruar reject discrimination in any and all forms, and have no time for those who hold racist views.

I'd go that bit further and say that most Asatruar hate these groups. As well as branding them with a deplorable ideology they have also caused serious hardship for true Asatruar in countries like germany where anti-nazi legislation has made it illegal for them to use many of the symbols they would traditionally associate with their faith as these symbols have been hijacked by the nazi-skinheads who try to hijack their beliefs.

Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Nazi ideology owes much to the Völkisch Romantic movement, and the Ásatrú revival owes somewhat to it, much as some other the revival forms of Paganism owe somewhat to other branches of the Romantic movement.

This fact alone though makes Naziism no closer to Paganism than it is to Keats' "Ode to a Nightingale".

It is true that the Third Reich made use of Pagan, particularly Ásatrú symbolism in their propaganda (swastikas, solar crosses, runes - particularly sigel which was used to create the monogram of the Schutzstaffel).

The also of course made much use of Christian symbolism, Christian ethics and scientific principles. That these were used in an utterly debased form is easy enough to demonstrate in our society - being one where most people are familiar enough with Christian sybolism, Christian ethics and scientific principals to see this. Even those with an anti-Christian bias can see the "Kirche" of Kinder, Kueche, Kirche as lacking any real Christian devotion and even those with an anti-scientific bias can see that the Darwinism behind "racial purity" was a perverted one, the political science behind "geo-politics" and lebensraum was self-deluding folly and that the experiments of the extermination camps were as pointless as they were unspeakably cruel. Not to mention the fact that the belief in the inferiority of the Jews led to the greatest scientific minds of the time fleeing Germany.

As such, only those who are desperate for mud to fling will accuse the Christians or scientists of being close to Naziism (not that one need look far for such people).

So. In what way did the Nazis make use of Paganism?

The primary way was merely as historians. They looked to the past of their supposed master-race, ignored the bits they didn't like (in particular that their ancestors didn't give a toss about so-called "racial purity" and inter-married with other peoples they came into contact with, most likely including Africans and other people the Nazis considered untermenschen - since any intelligent person who cares about the welfare of their tribe knows that "purity" is just another word for in-breeding). Coming from this past they took a few symbols and ideas that they deemed suitably Germanic to emphasise. Some of these were relatively recent, such as the Fraktur which dated from the reign of the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I and had only begun to die out when the Nazis revived it as a matter of policy, some dated back to Pagan times, and some had had a continuing history from the Pagan period into the Christian period.

It's worth noting that there wasn't a consistent historical view throughout the period of the Third Reich. Since their view on history was one of deliberate ommision and exageration it was a fragile and fluid thing. For example, the Fraktur script mentioned above proved difficult for those in Occupied Europe to read. Not only was the use of the script abandoned, but the history of it was re-written to declare it Judenlettern - in one memo in 1941 the script had suddenly changed from a proud part of the master race's culture to a Jewish plot to usurp the same. As George Orwell's 1984 would have it, the previous opinion went into the "memory hole".

The relationship of the Reich to other cultural artefacts of Germany's history was just as fraught and with the exceptions of those few symbols and concepts which held a central role in its ideology and self-image none were truly part-and-parcel with the Reich.

There is an inherent and unceasing struggle in the Nazi mind with the history of his nation. In placing the nation on a pedestal he cannot admit its feet of clay. Anything in the nation's history (and this being Naziism, that history goes back to the tribes the nation was founded by, or supposedly founded by, long before any such nation truly existed) that does not match with the Reich's ideals must be deleted from the view of history or blamed on a scapegoat such as the Jews.

Continuing this project, anything complicated must be made simple, all external sources of fortune must be made internal, all internal sources of misfortune most be made external.

The high points of the nation's cultural and scientific must be celebrated, but must be celebrated mindlessly - listen to Wagner, but don't listen too carefully, read Göthe, but don't read too attentively - can you imagine the fear that somehow they might find something in there plainly at odds with what they were doing and have to abandon yet another cultural hero while they worked out how they were going to blame the Jews for this one? They would uphold Leibniz's claim to calculus over Newtons but the man was too smart to be trusted entirely - and as for Euler, let the Swiss keep their claim to him until they've worked out just what it was he was doing in University in Berlin!

In all of this madness the Pagan past was used, but like all of Germany's history it was used held by fingertips, and at arm's length.

At the highest echelons of the Reich there was disagreement about just how useful this part of Germany's past was in any case. Himmler had a fascination with it, Goebbels saw it as a useful source of theatre and hence of propaganda value, Hitler was fonder of Christianity as a source of propaganda and outright opposed to an actual revival of Paganism writing "It seems to me that nothing would be more foolish than to reestablish the worshipof Odin. Our old mythology had ceased to be viable when
    Christianity implanted itself. Nothing dies unless it is moribund."

How did the Ásatrúars themselves fair? They were forbidden from using the swastika as a symbol - the Nazis making their theft of it complete, Ludwig Fahrenkrog was forbidden to hold public meetings, and Ernst Wachler died in Auschwitz. Magic-workers similarly suffered, including Friedrich Bernhard Marby (whose work with runes was to be influencial on Ásatrúars and others) who was sent first to Weltzheim and was interned in Dachau when it was liberated.

Neo-nazis have attempted to make a similar use of Paganism, again focussing particularly on Ásatrú, but also looking elsewhere. In doing this they face both the difficulty that the Third Reich had with the same use of Paganism, and also that they need to cover the way the Reich they glorify treated the pioneers of the Ásatrú revival. It leads to in-fighting amongst the far-right in itself, since they find themselves at odds with those who tie their fascism to a perverse version of Christianity. Further in-fighting happens because the fact that the wider Pagan community tends towards more liberal or even radical views (by no means does this hold for all Pagans - we have conservatives in our midst as well, but the current demographics are such that people on the liberal or radical end of the political spectrum are somewhat more common amongst Pagans than within the general population). This can lead to the frankly bizarre arguments amongst them where the same Pagan path is held in one sentence to be an expression of some "racial virtue" or other and in the next to be a bunch of Communists and "race-traitors".

Really, anything that leads to in-fighting within the far-right can only be a good thing. Unfortunately the uneducated outside of the far-right can sometimes believe the neo-nazi propaganda and be fooled into thinking there is any real basis to the claims the make on Ásatrúar symbols and other aspects of Pagan culture and practice. It's painful to be associated with such scum, and since some people will never value what a mere cursory glance at the Pagan community could so them over what excites their love of sensation and scandal the association will probably remain in some people's minds for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Many soccer players were Nazis. Indeed, neo-nazis in Europe are often known to like soccer. Himmler liked soccer and while Hitler didn't really mention it, he didn't not mention it either, if you get my meaning.

So, basically, soccer is evil. Who's with me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes I agree soccer is evil the way those that excel at it are worshipped,
    all the acts of volience done by soccer people and at scoccer events.

Yep, I'm pretty sure Heinrich Himmler was a fanatic soccerist and Adolf Hitler was a (moderate) soccerist.

I don't know much about soccer, but it all seems a tad dodgy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

I don't know much about soccer, but it all seems a tad dodgy to me.

Agreed.
    I don't know much about paganism, but it all seems a tad dodgy to me.

Seems to be mainly people from the aristocracy, rich professionals.

What do you think of Aleister Crowley?..or Marquis De Sade, were they pagans?

Sorry Average Joe, you've managed to walk the line between disingenious and stupid so well that I can't tell if you're taking the piss or not and am not sure how to respond.

Well, as a pagan, which you claim to be, do you partake in ritualised sex?
    This is part of your religion, isn't it?

I'm not negative about sexuality, but there seems to be underlying motives
    for those who want to become pagans.

What do you think of ritual abuse in paganism, is that a christian conspiracy or anti-pagan agenda by the christian fundamentalists?

Bare in mind, i don't follow any religion, at all, so you are welcome to attack
    me for being stupid, rather than what religion i practice.

I believe in being a good person, and knowing the difference between right
    and wrong, that is enough for me.
    I can be evil if i want to be, but that is the weaker option, for weak-minded people.

I'm in no way saying that you're involved for any sinister purposes, but i've
    met alot of people who are morally corrupt, talk about their twisted
    sexual fantasies and interest in paganism for that sole purpose.

The people seemed to be from rich backgrounds, and work in well paid jobs,
    or not at all, because they're so rich, they don't have to.

I don't like any religion, at all.

• Advertisement

First off average Joe I don't think your stupid just ill informed.

I would suggest you read some of the stickies at the top of the forum
    esp the what is paganism thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

It's certainly true many of the top brass in the 3rd Reich were pagans or subverted paganism to their own ends. But there's nothing new there. Western society has used Christianity as an excuse to slaughter and subjugate peoples throughout the world, not a very Christian way of behaving.

Anybody can hijack religious elements to reinforce their own world view, generally people who do this have no respect for religion (or other people) and do not deserve to be taken seriously. It's unfortunate that there are many guilible and maleable people in the world who are willing to listen to religious/philosophical nonsense hence creating the opportunity for the rise of evil butcherers such as Hitler, Constantine, Saledin, Lenin, Pol Pot, Mao etc.

First off average Joe I don't think your stupid just ill informed.

How ill informed? that ritualised sex is not part of being a pagan?
    That is not true???
    Anybody can hijack religious elements to reinforce their own world view, generally people who do this have no respect for religion (or other people) and do not deserve to be taken seriously. It's unfortunate that there are many guilible and maleable people in the world who are willing to listen to religious/philosophical nonsense hence creating the opportunity for the rise of evil butcherers such as Hitler, Constantine, Saledin, Lenin, Pol Pot, Mao etc.

We could probably add Bush to the list too.

Average Joe what do you mean by the term Pagan ?
    It is a very wide term for a while lot of people and thier spiritual paths.

Since the original topic was mostly directed towards asatru, I'll answer your questions from an asatruars perspective.

In my case, no, I do not take part in any ritual sex, nor is it a part of my beliefs.
    I'm not negative about sexuality, but there seems to be underlying motives for those who want to become pagans.

Anyone who decides to change from the belief system they were raised in is going to have their own motives for doing it.

If what you know of another system comes from "Well, everyone knows that ..." or whatever the local tabloids are printing is likely in for something of a shock.

Anyone expecting paganism to be all about running through the woods naked at night is going to be disappointed at the least :D
    What do you think of ritual abuse in paganism, is that a christian conspiracy or anti-pagan agenda by the christian fundamentalists?

First, what do you refer to when you say ritual abuse?

I'm not aware of any stories that bore out under examination where there was any kind of ritual abuse.

Some christian fundamentalists are quite famous for their attacks on .. well, just about everyone really. Everyone has their own agenda.
    Bare in mind, i don't follow any religion, at all, so you are welcome to attack me for being stupid, rather than what religion i practice.

I think that you have been misinformed about things, but that doesn't mean you're stupid.
    I believe in being a good person, and knowing the difference between right and wrong, that is enough for me.
    I can be evil if i want to be, but that is the weaker option, for weak-minded people.

Ah, but the nature of good and evil is a whole other thread.

If I kill someone, wouldn't you deem that an evil act?

If I kill a mass murdering dictator, freeing a population from tyrany, that would be good, right?

The act is the same. Is it good or evil?
    I'm in no way saying that you're involved for any sinister purposes, but i've met alot of people who are morally corrupt, talk about their twisted sexual fantasies and interest in paganism for that sole purpose.

If anyone is interested in paganism solely as an opportunity to have sex, they're going to be very disappointed :D

As an aside, what gives you the right to judge someone else as "morally corrupt"? Please don't take this as a personal attack, its not meant that way. Morality is by definition a personal thing. Everyone has their own standards of right and wrong. Would an evangelical christian consider you to be morally corrupt because you don't follow their definition of right and wrong?
    The people seemed to be from rich backgrounds, and work in well paid jobs, or not at all, because they're so rich, they don't have to.

If they're that well off then I'm sure there are ... more readily available alternatives for them to indulge in what they choose to.

I can't say that I'm overly fond of organised religion myself. History is littered with examples of religions being used to divide and slaughter.

At the same time, I know a number of people with a very strong personal faith. I may not share that, but I can still respect it, and them.

Now, I had this written out before, but the browser died on me, so the other stuff I have I will post in a separate post. They're some stuff I've come across over the years that may help you understand a little more of asatru, rather than paganism in general.

Bare in mind, i don't follow any religion, at all, so you are welcome to attack
    me for being stupid, rather than what religion i practice.
    Sorry about that, I just wanted to push you a tiny bit because the references to the de Sade and Crowley made me suspect it might be a troll, and I just wanted to push it enough to catch you out if you were.
    A bit mean, but I'd rather spend my time answering honest questions than amusing trolls, so I wanted to be sure.

Crowley is in many ways a very great man. He was also bit of a pervert by many accounts. But then Lloyd George shagging his secretary on a regular basis didn't stop him bringing his country through WWI. Anyway I won't go into in what ways he was a great man and in what ways he was a tad dodgy because Thaed and I will just end up arguing about it (we argue about Crowley a lot) and going off-topic.

Whether Crowley could be considered a Pagan or not depends on where you draw the lines, and on just what conflicting information you choose to believe about him. He certainly has influenced some Pagan paths (though there are people of other faiths, Christians, Buddhists and some who came to Hindu from a Western background in particular, that he has influenced also). At the same time many Pagans are quite vociferous in distancing themselves from him. There is further confusion in some wordings in some groups' liturgies being based on Crowley, especially since they tend to borrow the poetry but not the meaning (in particular the wording of the Wiccan Rede is based on lines from Crowley with very different meaning, taking the poetry and applying it's meter and choice of vocabulary to something that was previously expressed in less elegant prose).

Whatever degree Crowley is linked to Paganism though, it's not as clear cut as "Crowley was a Pagan" and it's not a clearly negative thing given the mixed nature of his own character.

De Sade on the other hand had no link to Paganism. If anything he could be labeled a Satanist, though even that was without any seriousness and of the variety that mocks the predominant religion out of the crasser desire for rebellion. If De Sade was a Pagan, I'm the Pope!
    It's not part of most Pagan paths.

There is a place for ritualised sex in Wicca. But that is most often both ritualised and stylised - you place a knife into a cup as a symbol of the process that leads to reproduction and hence to the natural world continuing to function.
    I'm not negative about sexuality, but there seems to be underlying motives
    for those who want to become pagans.
    Yeah, you get them. They're in for a bit of disappointment when they don't see any action other than a knife being put into a cup! Really, they're into more disappointment than that most of the time as you can spot the little lecherous gits a mile away.
    1. There is no evidence of there being any ritual abuse of a Pagan nature.
    2. There is very, very little evidence of the type of alleged Satanic abuse that gets associated with Paganism in the propaganda of certain bigots.
    3. There is some evidence of abusers using ritualised elements in their abuse, these are most often either Christian or deliberately anti-Christian - just because that's what they grew up with and what acts as triggers in their minds. They are not engaging in a religious practice, they are using artefacts of religion as props in violent practices.
    4. There is considerable evidence of bigots engaging in a concerted attempt to use allegations of ritual abuse as a means of slandering certain religions, in particular some Pagan religions (this is nothing new, the Jews had these allegations made against them for centuries, the Christians had these allegations made against them in Rome up until the conversion of Constantine, and even after that there were allegations that some Christians were engaging in such behaviour for some time after - really it's just the same crap that gets said about whoever you want to pick on at the time).
    I believe in being a good person, and knowing the difference between right
    and wrong, that is enough for me.
    That's enough of a philosophy to stop people from ripping each others heads off, and as long as you aren't inclined to rip people's heads off I'm happy for you to believe whatever you want :)
    I'm in no way saying that you're involved for any sinister purposes, but i've
    met alot of people who are morally corrupt, talk about their twisted
    sexual fantasies and interest in paganism for that sole purpose.
    I've met people like that, but not amongst the actual Pagan community.

I have met egotisitical, lecherous, creepy and self-absorbed **** in the Pagan community. You get them everywhere.
    The people seemed to be from rich backgrounds, and work in well paid jobs,
    or not at all, because they're so rich, they don't have to.
    Rich Pagans! Do you have their addresses, I can think of some Pagan charities that could do with donations :)

Seriously though, Pagans work. If they don't work for a living they should still get off their asses and do something useful with their time.
    Not everyone in this world needs to religious practice to be fulfilled. Not everyone in this world is called by any Gods.

Here are the pieces I mentioned previously:

If you've any questions, feel free to ask, and I'll answer as best I can.

- - - - -

Here stand I -- alone if necessary -- for the things that I believe.

(1) I believe that the Aesir and the Vanir are living Deities who
    came out of Ginnungagap before the beginning of time, and have ruled
    the Nine Worlds since then, and will rule them until Ragnarock --
    whether or not humans believe in them.

(2) I believe that the Aesir and the Vanir are inherently good, and
    that they always support good and oppose evil, and that they always
    want all humans to do what is right.

(3) I believe that the Aesir and the Vanir foster and value the
    individuality of each person, and that each person should be proud of
    what he or she inherently is -- and that people should never look
    down on others, or themselves, for what they inherently are.

(4) I believe that Faith in the Aesir and the Vanir constitutes the
    Religion of Asatru, which is separate from and not connected to any
    other religious faith (although it ray be superficially similar in
    some respects), and that Asatru is my religion and my only religion.

(5) I believe that, as an adherent of Asatru I have a personal
    relationship with each and all of the Aesir and the Vanir,
    individually and collectively-- that Frigg and Odinn inspire me, that
    Tyr and Zisa guide me, that Sif and Thorr protect me, and that Freyja
    and Freyr provide for me -- and that all of the Gods and Goddesses
    are my friends.

(6) I believe that every human on earth can and may have a similar
    personal relationship with all of the Aesir and the Vanir
    individually and collectively, and has as much right as I do to be an
    adherent of Asatru, if he or she so chooses, and that Asatru is
    freely open to anyone who wants to accept it -- regardless of gender,
    race, color. ethnicity, national origin, language, sexual
    orientation, or other divisive criteria -- and that no individual or
    group of individuals has the right to try to deny Asatru anyone, or
    to try to force it onto anyone.

(7) I believe that religious beliefs should always be of free choice,
    and that each person who chooses to adhere to Asatru should interpret
    it according to his or her own ideas, and that no individual or group
    of individuals ever has the right to try to make a person adhere to
    any religious ideas or beliefs against that person's will, or to try
    to harm those who do not agree with them, for any reason.

(8) I believe that the Asatru Religion, guided by the great Gods of
    Asgard, provides the best Way of Life for all who choose to follow
    it, and that the Asatru Way of Life esteems: courage, honor,
    hospitality, independence (and liberty), individuality (with self-
    reliance and self-responsibility), industriousness (and
    perseverance), justice (including an innate sense of fairness and
    respect for others), loyalty (to family, friends, and the society of
    which one is a part), truthfulness, and a willingness to stand up for
    and do what is right.

(9) I believe that when I die my Spirit will live on in Asgard, if I
    have earned it, in the company of all of the Aesir and the Vanir --so
    help me Tyr and Zisa.

- - - - -

NINE NOBLE VIRTUES OF ASATRU

COURAGE
    By facing life's struggles with courage, we constantly extend our
    capabilities. Without courage, nothing else can be done!

TRUTH
    Blind faith has no place in Asatru. No pie-in-the-sky; we must act in this
    world as we see it and as it really is rather than calmly wait for the next.

HONOR
    We must be true to what we are, and we insist on acting with nobility rather
    than baseness. Our standards must be banners held high in our hearts.

FIDELITY
    We stand true to our faith and our values. Loyalty is the basis for all
    enduring human activity, and we hold it in the highest esteem.

HOSPITALITY
    The isolation and loneliness of modern life is not necessary. The
    willingness
    to share what one has with ones' fellows, especially travelers,is a vital
    part of our way of life.

DISCIPLINE
    We hold to the discipline necessary to fulfill our purpose. We stand willing
    to exercise the self-control and steadfastness necessary in these difficult
    times.

INDUSTRIOUSNESS
    Let us dare to be all that we can be! Let us take risks and taste the
    richness of life. Passivity is for sheep. We refuse to be mere spectators
    in life.

SELF-RELIANCE
    We depend on our own strength and character to achieve our goals. We seek
    only the freedom necessary to our quest, whatever it may be.

PERSEVERANCE
    We hold to our path until its completion and are not ashamed to be strong.
    The cult of the anti-hero will find no support in us, and the gods we follow
    are not for the weak.

- - - - -

The Aesirian Code of Nine

1) The Code is to Honor---
    Honor yourself with truth and fairness. Your word is your bond,
    give your word power by adhering to it. Honor your family and
    friends with reverence and respect. Honor your love and the
    way above all else. Honor is the mark of strength and nobility.
    2) The Code is to Protect---
    Protect with savagery your blood and kin. Let no one or nothing
    violate your love or way. Let there always be inequity in defense.
    Always protect thrice as fiercely as one is attacked.
    Protection is the mark of a warrior spirit.
    3) The Code is to Flourish---
    Prosperity and growth are key tothe survival of the way.
    Such is the mark of intelligence.
    4) The Code is Knowledge---
    Knowledge is power. Seek ever to expand the mind. Never
    stagnate, for knowledge is a gift from the gods.
    5) The Code is Change---
    Adapting and changing are important for growth and survival.
    That which cannot adapt or change is doomed to perish.
    Change is the mark of insight.
    6) The Code of Fairness---
    Pay all debts, pull your own weight, always hear and consider
    all sides. Treat all others with equity and fairness
    Expect the same.
    7) The Code is Balance---
    Remember the Law of balance; All that which you do or wish for,
    good or ill, shall return to you one day. Strive for the good.
    8) The Code is Control---
    Never loose control to anger or be baited by hostility.
    Never strike a woman unless your life hangs in the balance.
    Never violate the weak or innocent. Never tolerate those who do.
    Control is the mark of a disciplined mind,
    a sign of the greatest of warriors.
    9) The Code is Conflict---
    Those who follow the way must know the art of combat, weapons
    and vengeance. War is part of the path.
    Always be prepared for hostility. It is a destiny woven into the
    fibers of our people. Keep body, mind and training up all
    times. Have no remorse in the savagery of conflict.
    Win, prevail and Survive.
    Danish, circa 1075 runic era (825 common era)

- - - - -

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

How ill informed? that ritualised sex is not part of being a pagan?
    That is not true???

Define "ritualised sex". Since, the christian view towards sex is fairly ritualised as it is .....

Further, define "ritual abuse", since the remarks about De Sade raise a few suspicions in my minds eye as to what interpretation you have of paganism. I suspect you've gotten quite a few wildly unrelated subjects and mashed them together having met someone who just so happened to be interested in all of them and taken their word as gospel. To quote Bill Hicks, "Beliefs are neat. Cherish them, but don't share them like they're the truth".

If I kill someone, wouldn't you deem that an evil act?

Depends on why you killed the person.
    For example, if you murdered someone for abusing your child,
    i'd shake your hand, and view it as real justice being served to the victim.

Victims of this abuse are given a life sentence of haunting memories,
    while the abuser gets an inferior sentence behind bars, and eventually released to do it all again.

If the law decided to lock you away, i'd fight for your release.

"Why shouldn't a rapist be allowed a second chance"?? some morons say,
    like some forgiving preacher.

Because, they re-offend, perfect example is Robert Howard, a convicted
    murderer and rapist, allowed to walk the streets and destroy peoples lives,
    for 40 years.
    Its a classic case of how the so-called justice system doesn't work.

How many other individuals like Howard are walking the streets??

If somebody killed punk scum like him, i'd have no problem with that.
    If I kill a mass murdering dictator, freeing a population from tyrany, that would be good, right?

If you were truly concerned for the well being of a population under a dictatorship
    regime, and your true motive for killing the dictator was to free these people from oppression.
    Yes, i would think that is good.

But i'm not gonna get dragged into a debate on whether George Bush and Tony Blair
    were right to remove Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq.(not saying you are)

We don't really know why there is a military presence in Iraq, most analysts
    say its economic, and i happen to agree with that viewpoint.
    It certainly wasn't to liberate the population.
    As an aside, what gives you the right to judge someone else as "morally corrupt"?
    Please don't take this as a personal attack, its not meant that way. Morality is by definition a personal thing. Everyone has their own standards of right and wrong. Would an evangelical christian consider you to be morally corrupt because you don't follow their definition of right and wrong?

It was just an opinion.

Briefly, 1 "pagan" guy was talking to me in a bar, known him for couple of
    years, but we're not friends.

Wasn't really listening to him, he was rambling on about celtic mythology,
    and how this new religion he'd got into had changed his life.

At some point, i just heard "..and she started to turn to green" and he laughed, and i said "who turned green"? i was genuinely intrigued.

"..the high priestess"

"right" i said, with a smirk, he continued to describe the "beltane festival"
    that took place at some stone circle.

You might say he was trying to get my attention, but i could tell he
    was seriously convinced this woman turned green.

Apart from that, he's a manipulative compulsive liar, gambler and welfare cheat, dabbled in drug dealing for a while, psychology, and now he claims to be a pagan.

He talked about the "mother earth" and how important the environment is.
    I don't disagree with how important the earth is, but i still think he's full
    of sh!t, and i dump my rubbish on the "mother earth" like everyone else :p

Another girl, who claimed to be a pagan, also said she was a dominatrix
    part time for fun/money at weekends, while working in a bank during the week.
    Always talking about her collection of books on magic spells..

had suicidal tendencies..actually, she was back home from london, after a nervous breakdown.
    she is a crazy b..i mean witch.

anyway, along with a few others, most of them seemed a bit delusional,
    suffering from mental problems.

it just left me with a bad impression of paganism.

Admittedly, i looked upon paganism, and most religion in general as being full of deceitful wacko-perverts.
    Maybe thats the mirror-perception of TV and Tabloid press..but not completely.

Although its never been proven that child killers have been inspired by some religious literature or pornography to commit their crimes.

I quote from an article about The Moors murder Inquiry:

Glasgow-born Brady was a quiet, brooding stock clerk who admired the Nazis and was heavily influenced by the writings of Nietzsche and the Marquis de Sade.

They knew this from his book collection.
    He clearly had an interest in torture, and got enjoyment out of making children suffer.

Whats this to do with paganism? ..nothing really, but i think there are alot of weak-minded people out there who could get involved with these covens and become easily brainwashed.

De Sade was inheritantly worthless, and contributed nothing good
    to the world as far as i'm concerned.
    Yet there are some idiots who say he was misunderstood, yah, like they knew him personally. :rolleyes:
    1. There is no evidence of there being any ritual abuse of a Pagan nature.
    2. There is very, very little evidence of the type of alleged Satanic abuse that gets associated with Paganism in the propaganda of certain bigots.
    3. There is some evidence of abusers using ritualised elements in their abuse, these are most often either Christian or deliberately anti-Christian - just because that's what they grew up with and what acts as triggers in their minds. They are not engaging in a religious practice, they are using artefacts of religion as props in violent practices.
    4. There is considerable evidence of bigots engaging in a concerted attempt to use allegations of ritual abuse as a means of slandering certain religions, in particular some Pagan religions (this is nothing new, the Jews had these allegations made against them for centuries, the Christians had these allegations made against them in Rome up until the conversion of Constantine, and even after that there were allegations that some Christians were engaging in such behaviour for some time after - really it's just the same crap that gets said about whoever you want to pick on at the time).

Here is a link to an article i read on witchvox.com which mentions
    the abuse among some pagans.
    This is why i asked the question.

http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=auvic&c=words&id=9218
    Define "ritualised sex". Since, the christian view towards sex is fairly ritualised as it is .....

Further, define "ritual abuse", since the remarks about De Sade raise a few suspicions in my minds eye as to what interpretation you have of paganism. I suspect you've gotten quite a few wildly unrelated subjects and mashed them together having met someone who just so happened to be interested in all of them and taken their word as gospel. To quote Bill Hicks, "Beliefs are neat. Cherish them, but don't share them like they're the truth".

Trish and Sarah Bland were from an Anglo-Irish protestant landed gentry family from County Laois in the Irish Republic and owned a mansion and a 400 acre estate valued at 1million + before it was sold off to pay debts for legal fees incurred in Sarah's case.

22 year-old Sarah , who is a student and lives in England , was regularly subjected to satanic ritual abuse by a relative and a group of six upper class devil worshippers for two years from the age of four . The devil worshippers used hypnosis on Sarah and they laid her on a large table which was surrounded by lit candles and they then abused and raped her.

That is what i mean by ritual abuse.
    more clarity of what the words mean, can be found below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritual
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abuse
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex

Thats the best i can do, lemming :p

I don't think i'll respond anymore to this thread, as i don't know enough
    about paganism..don't want to either.

But i found the comments and text on ASATRU by hairyheretic very helpful and interesting.
    I didn't realise there were different types of paganism.

In short, you've talked to people whom you acknolwedge as being complete tosspots (compulsive liars, gamblers, etc) and then seem to think that because they claim to have an interest in 'X' or 'Y' as well, that means that paganism is attributed to these people? To quote yourself regarding the guy in the bar, that viewpoint is "full of sh*t". Not to mention utterly, utterly farcical and hypocritical to the extreme.

Lets see .... some guy likes abusing children sexually, enjoys gardening and football. So ... by your logic, everyone who enjoys gardening and football is also a child molester. Give me a break!!! :rolleyes:

If you try to point out that the above analogy is absurd, you'll be resting my case for me, thank you very much.

As for the very very tragic case of that 27 year old Sarah, there was nothing ritualistic about it. It was nothing other than child abuse. And I wouldn't let her accusers off by claiming some sort of religious connatations to cloud that fact. The fact that the perpetrators were of a certain social class means nothing. THe fact that they "claimed" to be satanists means nothing. THe fact that they prayed upon, and repeatedly raped, a defenseless child has everything to do with it. As for it being ritualistic? There's no more ritual in that then there is some father going home drunk every saturday night and beating his child with his belt.

You've taken a whole load of pre-conceived half-arsed notions (I'm being generous calling them half-arsed) of several COMPLETELY unrelated subjects and mashed them altogether. Satanism, social class structure, rape, child molestation, BDSM, paganism, idiots in bars who are compulsive liars, etc and mixed them all up into this 2 + 2 = 5000000029477.38482444 answer. All I'm waiting for now is the "little green men" bit to be thrown into the mix to provide the icing on this very very farcical view.

For the record, I am neither athiest, pagan or christian. I'm somewhere between pagan and christian I would suspect.

Incidentally, what's your stance on catholic church related child abuse? Another wacky religion? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You're right, i agree with everything you just said.You're obviously better educated than i am.
    What do you know about me?

i re-read what i said in first post, because i think i offended you somehow.
    what was it?
    the social class part, it was that, wasn't it?

just out of curiosity, before this thread is closed, can you tell me if you're
    protestant or catholic?
    I suspect you're protestant, or atleast from a rich background, and in a well paid job.
    possibly you're latent homosexual, i sense alot of aggression from you, but maybe that is because you feel insulted by my logic.

i wasn't stirring up any trouble at all, until you responded with the clearly..antagonistic reply requesting for definitions, of "ritual abuse" and "ritualised sex" when you obviously know what it means..

you've a habit of making alot of assumptions about people, and i suggest you try and get out more, you know, socialise, get to know people *listen*
    instead of always listening to yourself, which i know you probably love doing.

my knowledge of paganism is distorted by the tv and media coverage, as i already said, but you probably didn't take the time to acknowledge that.

you clearly know more about it all than i do about ritual abuse, you must be really proud of yourself.lol

you're my hero

almost forgot, i was brought up a catholic, but i always hated going to church since i was a kid, because i used to see all the snobby upper class hypocrites sit up at the front of the church like they were "the chosen ones"

and when they got outside, they would look down at me, like i was nothing but dirt because of the under privileged neighbourhood i came from.

you remind me of those people.

i'll repeat one last time, I don't like any religion, at all.
    got the message, lemming?

your last question about RC abuse, is disingenuous, and another attempt to flame me with any possible response, but i'm not entertaining you this time.

i re-read what i said in first post, because i think i offended you somehow.
    what was it?
    the social class part, it was that, wasn't it?

Yes it was. But not because of any sort of class struggle, but because the point has absolutely nothing to do with anything other than circumstance, ie. complete and utter b*llocks. Allow me to impress the point home upon you. Some guy commits a series of murders. At the trial it's remarked that he was also wearing a pair of Nike runners. And the point is? ..... What? Anyone wearing Nike runners must be a serial killer? Absurd? Of course it is!

This is also called "the Chewbacca defense", courtesy of South park. I shall refer to it as such from this point on.

just out of curiousity, before this thread is closed, can you tell me if you're
    protestant or catholic?
    I suspect you're protestant, and from a rich background, and in a well
    paid job.
    possibly you're latent homosexual, i sense alot of aggression from you, but maybe that is because you feel insulted by my comments.

My religion is quite frankly none of your f*cking business. All I'll say is that you are very, very wide of the mark with your assumptions. Not to mention that you're also showing yourself up as a bigot.
    i wasn't stirring up any trouble at all, until you responded with the clearly..antagonistic reply requesting for definitions, of "ritual abuse" and "ritualised sex" when you obviously know what it means..

I asked you for clarification because I suspected from several comments that you made, that you had grasped the wrong end of the stick and had taken onboard some funny misconceptions and half-cocked ideas, most likely through no fault of your own.

Sadly I'm going to readjust that in light of all your comments to the fact that you have freely admitted to knowing that you are by no means equipped to form any sort of reasonable view yet continue to state quite proudly that you have no desire to know and will continue to peddle these absolutely absurd notions to the world.

you've a habit of making alot of assumptions about people, and i suggest you try and get out more, you know, socialise, get to know people *listen*
    instead of always listening to yourself, which i know you probably love doing.

Irony, thy name is Average Joe.
    Mind you don't blind yourself looking in the mirror. That reflection's going to be awfully strong .....

Depends on why you killed the person.

Pretty much. My own oppinion is that an act is not necessarily good or evil, but the motivations for performing it could be.

Of course, some acts may be harder to justify than others.
    For example, if you murdered someone for abusing your child,
    i'd shake your hand, and view it as real justice being served to the victim.

Its a form of justice.
    Victims of this abuse are given a life sentence of haunting memories,
    while the abuser gets an inferior sentence behind bars, and eventually released to do it all again.

I've no idea what percentage of criminals reoffend, so I don't know how right your statement is. Certainly there are some serial abusers, but I don't know that every one would.
    If the law decided to lock you away, i'd fight for your release.

Part of asatru is the concept of personal responsibility. You make your choices and act accordingly, but you have to be prepared for the consequences of those actions, good or bad.
    "Why shouldn't a rapist be allowed a second chance"?? some morons say,
    like some forgiving preacher.

You go out to a club, have a few drinks, hit it off with someone and spend the night together. The following morning they feel you got them drunk and took advantage of them, and accuse you of rape. Medical tests show that the two of you had sex, so now its your word against theirs.

Life is not black and white. It comes in all shades of grey.
    Because, they re-offend, perfect example is Robert Howard, a convicted
    murderer and rapist, allowed to walk the streets and destroy peoples lives,
    for 40 years.
    Its a classic case of how the so-called justice system doesn't work.

How many other individuals like Howard are walking the streets??

I don't know. One incident does not mean a failure of the system. I could counter by asking how many people innocent of crime have been locked away?
    If you were truly concerned for the well being of a population under a dictatorship regime, and your true motive for killing the dictator was to free these people from oppression.
    Yes, i would think that is good.

But my act was exactly the same. The deliberate taking of another human life.
    But i'm not gonna get dragged into a debate on whether George Bush and Tony Blair
    were right to remove Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq.(not saying you are)

I wasn't. It just seemed a fairly clear way to illustrate my point.
    Briefly, 1 "pagan" guy was talking to me in a bar, known him for couple of
    years, but we're not friends.

And from your own desription of him, he doesn't exactly sound like the most reliable source.
    "right" i said, with a smirk, he continued to describe the "beltane festival"
    that took place at some stone circle.

Not my belief system I'm afraid, so I can't comment on what may or may not have gone on.
    Apart from that, he's a manipulative compulsive liar, gambler and welfare cheat, dabbled in drug dealing for a while, psychology, and now he claims to be a pagan.

As I said, fom your description he doesn't sound like the best source to get information from.
    Another girl, who claimed to be a pagan, also said she was a dominatrix
    part time for fun/money at weekends, while working in a bank during the week.

Um .. fair enough.
    Always talking about her collection of books on magic spells..

From the way you describe them, I would have my doubts about how serious they were. My oppinion is that they sound more like dabblers and wannabes, claiming to be pagan because its fashionable, and perhaps enhancing the stories in an effort to impress.
    anyway, along with a few others, most of them seemed a bit delusional,
    suffering from mental problems.

it just left me with a bad impression of paganism.

Given what you've said, a negative view isn't really that surprising.
    Admittedly, i looked upon paganism, and most religion in general as being full of deceitful wacko-perverts.
    Maybe thats the mirror-perception of TV and Tabloid press..but not completely.

You can only base your views on what you've seen and heard. If the sources are poor, it stands to reason your views of it would be too. I have to say though, my experiences would be the complete opposite.
    Although its never been proven that child killers have been inspired by some religious literature or pornography to commit their crimes.

I quote from an article about The Moors murder Inquiry:

Glasgow-born Brady was a quiet, brooding stock clerk who admired the Nazis and was heavily influenced by the writings of Nietzsche and the Marquis de Sade.

They knew this from his book collection.

The problem with something like that is there is a tendancy amongst a lot of news reports to sensationalise things. "If it bleeds, it leads."
    He clearly had an interest in torture, and got enjoyment out of making children suffer.

But is it known what was behind it though, what turned him into what he was?
    Whats this to do with paganism? ..nothing really, but i think there are alot of weak-minded people out there who could get involved with these covens and become easily brainwashed.

To my knowledge, covens don't go around brainwashing people. I think TV is probably responsible for a lot more brainwashing that anything else :)
    De Sade was inheritantly worthless, and contributed nothing good
    to the world as far as i'm concerned.
    Yet there are some idiots who say he was misunderstood, yah, like they knew him personally. :rolleyes:

Well, the fact they're still reprinting his books after a few hundred years must mean there's some degree of interest in him. I remember reading some on him back when I was in my teens, but he never held any real interest for me.
    Here is a link to an article i read on witchvox.com which mentions
    the abuse among some pagans.
    This is why i asked the question.

Its not an incident I'm familiar with, but it's certainly possible. There will be predators amongst every belief syste, people and walk of life.
    Trish and Sarah Bland were from an Anglo-Irish protestant landed gentry family from County Laois in the Irish Republic and owned a mansion and a 400 acre estate valued at 1million + before it was sold off to pay debts for legal fees incurred in Sarah's case.

22 year-old Sarah , who is a student and lives in England , was regularly subjected to satanic ritual abuse by a relative and a group of six upper class devil worshippers for two years from the age of four . The devil worshippers used hypnosis on Sarah and they laid her on a large table which was surrounded by lit candles and they then abused and raped her.

That is what i mean by ritual abuse.

Certainly nasty. I tend to be a bit wary of stories where hypnosis comes into it. I've read a number of incidents where false memories ended up coming up as a result of things like that.

And as Lemming said, claiming that they were satanists would certainly help muddy things up around the issue.
    I don't think i'll respond anymore to this thread, as i don't know enough
    about paganism..don't want to either.

Thats certainly your choice, but given the rather poor examples you've encountered so far, you might want to talk to some of the others here, and see if perhaps you don't come away with a more balanced view.
    But i found the comments and text on ASATRU by hairyheretic very helpful and interesting.
    I didn't realise there were different types of paganism.

There are a variety of different types. Some share similarities, but I wouldn't feel knowledgable enough about any of the others to talk in other than very general terms.

My religion is quite frankly none of your f*cking business. All I'll say is that you are very, very wide of the mark with your assumptions. Not to mention that you're also showing yourself up as a bigot.

i was winding you up, as in previous post too.
    Sadly I'm going to readjust that in light of all your comments to the fact that you have freely admitted to knowing that you are by no means equipped to form any sort of reasonable view yet continue to state quite proudly that you have no desire to know and will continue to peddle these absolutely absurd notions to the world.

i'm now a peddler of anti-pagan propaganda? ffs
    Irony, thy name is Average Joe.
    Mind you don't blind yourself looking in the mirror. That reflection's going to be awfully strong .....

look, i'm not being funny, but 99% of the time, i'm usually right about everything.don't argue with me.
    Certainly nasty. I tend to be a bit wary of stories where hypnosis comes into it. I've read a number of incidents where false memories ended up coming up as a result of things like that.

if you read that article, you'll notice how the author discusses how many paganists dismiss victims claims of abuse.
    But if the same claims came from a victim of a catholic priest, would you be as quick to dismiss it?

that article, was what i read first, before i asked if crowley and de sade were pagans.

all i'm saying is, keep an open mind.

I was just looking for similar articles, and i came across this:
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/15/1087244909614.html

its about a paedophile who abused young boys under the guise of pagan rituals.
    maybe something like that could happen to others, you just don't know for certain.

also, i'm sorry if i offended any genuine pagans here.
    i honestly don't really know enough about it, and am in no position
    to judge any of you.
    feel a bit of a fool actually.

if you read that article, you'll notice how the author discusses how many paganists dismiss victims claims of abuse.

I didn't dismiss the claim, only said that I would be wary because of the hypnosis part. That means I would want to read more than a tabloid before making any kind of judgement on the story.
    But if the same claims came from a victim of a catholic priest, would you be as quick to dismiss it?

I'd want to see what evidence there was, regardless of who the alledged abuser was.

As for that news story you posted, that sounds like someone thinking "Paganism is all about candles and chanting. If I do that, maybe I can convince this kids this isn't wrong". I don't believe the article said he was pagan, simply that be tried to hide his activities under a pagan guise.

i was winding you up, as in previous post too.

so you freely admit to trolling? In fact you began trolling for no reason. Even after my initial post which gave a fairly reasonable question.
    i'm now a peddler of anti-pagan propaganda? ffs

No. I implied that you'd happily sit down the pub with your mates spouting the sh*te (and it IS sh*te) there that you've been writing here and claiming it was 100% fact.
    look, i'm not being funny, but 99% of the time, i'm usually right about everything.don't argue with me.

yawwwwwwwwwwwn

I'm not dismissing anything. I'm questioning motive. People are people regardless, and religion is used by all sorts to justify the unjustifiable by people who are using that religion as a 'guise with which to wield power and influence. To claim that this abuse is indicitive of a religion is disengenious and very false.

As hairyheretic said, I'd be looking at all the facts surrounding a given case before spouting some sort of stereotyped-mass-hysteria routine.
    all i'm saying is, keep an open mind.

Keep an open mind? Aha hahahahahahahaaaa

Now THAT was a superb troll.

feel a bit of a fool actually.
    Well because you said that I'm not going to completely filk your previous posts, but I'll say a few things.

Firstly, I know I deliberately pushed your buttons a tad earlier as I said, but that was a moderator action to attempt to determine whether or not you were a troll. As a rule personal abuse is not allowed. Also to anyone who knows Lemming calling him a "latent" anything makes you look more foolish than you may realise.

Mentioning Brady's reading habits means nothing, given that none of the material in question was Pagan. If it did include some Pagan material that would still not be conclusive (and certainly his reading Nietzche is far from conclusive evidence that he had any understanding of Nietzche. Nietzche is notoriously easy to deliberately misread so as to justify whatever you choose to do). Please keep your examples to something at least vaguely relevant.

Mentioning the case of Sarah Bland is not relevant even if we believe every aspect of her story (I've only a passing familiarity with the case so I'm not in a position to say if I do or not) the abuse took place under the guise of Satanic ritual, not Pagan. Settians can just about be classified as both Satanists and Pagans at the same time, other Satanists cannot. The claims are not relevant to Paganism (I will say that the only serious Satanists I've met are of the Salvador LaVey variety, and most would be quite sympathetic with what you had to say about killing someone who had abused your child despite our society considering that killing a crime).

BDSM is also irrelevant. Please keep bad-mouthing the BSDM community to the sex and sexuality forum because I don't want to be defending it here where it's off topic.

Don't believe compulsive liars.

I am aware of the claims by "Mike" and frankly I am prepared to believe them, they refer to cases of abuse committed against adults by rather Svengali-like creeps using the trappings of Pagan ritual and of people abusing the trust that is formed within Pagan working groups. It's still in the realms of the unproven, but yes I'm prepared to believe that creeps have done this.

I don't think Pagans have been responsible for the kind of abuses we know have been committed by Catholic priests. Not because I think we're any better than they are, but because we don't have the same social structures which put priests into a position of trust and authority over children that can be abused. In any case, those abuses are a fault of the priests who committed the crime, the bishops that harboured such criminals and were accomplaces after the fact, a hierarchy that empowered them to do so, and a criminal justice system that turned a blind eye - they are not a fault of Catholicism (or any other branch of Christianity) itself, and the same would be true if there were Pagans committing similar crimes.

Weak-minded people are not welcome in covens. They'd make crap Witches and we have no need or desire to swell our numbers by recruiting people into covens. Weak-minded people will be politely but firmly told to go away by any real coven.

Covens don't brainwash, because someone who is brainwashed is going to be feck all use as a witch. A witch thinks for him- or herself. A witch does what has to be done. A simpering fool hanging on the every word of a High Priest or High Priestess is not a witch.

Now there are so-called "covens" out there that can be a bit dodgy. This is one of the reason for some covens becoming more visible, we look after our own and we don't want creeps preying on our community, and we'll make concerns about a group known. The Advanced Bonewits’ Cult Danger Evaluation Frame which was developped by a Pagan to evaluate the potential for harm a group poses and is now used by NRM researchers outside of the Pagan community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

Talliesin wrote:
    I will say that the only serious Satanists I've met are of the Salvador LaVey variety...
    *Psssst!*

Anton Szandor LaVey. ;)

• Advertisement

Sapien wrote:
    *Psssst!*

Anton Szandor LaVey. ;)
    You are correct of course, but hey I'm a Pagan, not a Satanist, I'm allowed to get his name wrong :)

Advertisement