Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lucozade sport

Options
  • 06-06-2005 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭

hows it goin lads and lassies,

just wondering what your thoughts are on lucozade sport.I hit the gym as much as i can and because of this, i feel knackered alot of the time.So i've been drinking a bottle of this stuff everytime after i finish the workout.The question i'm askin is wether it really is any good or should i put my 2 euro's a day towards something more effective!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers in advance

dan :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Drink plenty of water throughout the day, maybe with some Ribena or MiWadi for taste. Water is the best thing for rehydration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

if you are doing weights you would be better off making your own drink with glucose and maltodextrin (and protein) in it. This will prevent catabolism and raise your growth hormone levels.
    searching this forum should yield a more precise recipe, according to your weight and training intensity.
    Don;t make the mistake i did for ages and treat glucose or maltodextrin as if they had a denisty of 1g/1ml when calculating how much to put in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Lucozade sport and isotonic drinks do make a difference and there is very strong evidence for this. Where it matters is when you sweat a lot and become salt depleted. Isotonic drinks cause rapid salt and fluid replacement.

I consume loads of isotonic drinks here in texas when cycling during the daytime. Its 33C with 90% humidity and I cycle hard. I sweat like a pig and if I don't drink isotonic drinks, I get the shakes from salt depletion. A good regimen unless you are really going hardcore is 1 part isotonic with 2 parts water and drink before you get thirsty. I drink up to 4L/day when out cycling here. The sweat literally pours out of me.....

The glucose in the lucozade actually speeds up the salt absorption in the gut so it is superior to plain old isotonic liquid with no glucose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

pwd wrote:
    if you are doing weights you would be better off making your own drink with glucose and maltodextrin (and protein) in it. This will prevent catabolism and raise your growth hormone levels.
    searching this forum should yield a more precise recipe, according to your weight and training intensity.
    Don;t make the mistake i did for ages and treat glucose or maltodextrin as if they had a denisty of 1g/1ml when calculating how much to put in :)

...... :confused: ......so many big words.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

cheers lads and girls.....great tips...i think i'll keep up with the lucozade sport anyway..

happy gymin

dan :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Alternatively get a pint of water, add a tea spoon of sugar and a pinch of salt, and you have an isotonic drink. The ratio's aren't as exact as an off the shelf drink, but much better value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Honey is good too, might even be better than sugar...

gillo wrote:
    Alternatively get a pint of water, add a tea spoon of sugar and a pinch of salt, and you have an isotonic drink. The ratio's aren't as exact as an off the shelf drink, but much better value for money.
    its valid and works nearly as well. Just don't be tempted to use too much salt or you'll puke. Honey would not be better than sugar as it is the glucose that causes the rapid salt absorption - honey has more fructose.....

Remember lucozade sport/isotonic replaces lost salt as well as fluid and ONLY works if you do a lot of sweating - otherwise all you will notice is the sugar buzz, which you could equally get from orange juice.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Isn't sugar sucrose though?

its cleaved to release glucose.... glucose powder and salt though is much better than using sucrose..... Whats matters is getting the formula right and you can get that off the internet. Too strong and you puke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Isn't Lucozade Sport available in power form?

Never dilute Lucozade sport with water - it dilutes the sweetener and tastes terrible. Lucozade Sport also contains aspartame (NutraSweet) which receives a lot of bad press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

OFDM wrote:
    Lucozade Sport also contains aspartame (NutraSweet) which receives a lot of bad press.
    I belive alot of that was proven to be bull****. I could be wrong.

the issue of nutrasweet and aspartame has been proven completely untrue. It is in fact very safe. the investigations into this after the issue arose was so thorough that they even dispelled previous weak associations. (aspartame was very weakly linked with increasing certain cancer types by a small amount - this was completely dispelled after the recent investigation).

I can provide citations for non-believers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

DrIndy wrote:
    the issue of nutrasweet and aspartame has been proven completely untrue. It is in fact very safe.
    Sorry for dragging up the old post but it appears you're right.
    Found a few links that confirm that aspartame is safe for consumption except for those with a rare genentic disease called Phenylketonuria.

"People get far less aspartic acid, phenylalanine and methanol from aspartame than from normal consumption of natural foods" - says it all when it comes to the scaremongers.

http://www.food.gov.uk/safereating/additivesbranch/sweeteners/55174
    http://www.greenfacts.org/aspartame/aspartame.htm#99
    http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/qa-adf9.html

The arguments against aspartame seem to use a lot of big words and illogical arguments such as:
    "No long term studies have been performed to evaluate the physiological effects of this substance, yet the public is lead to believe it is absolutely safe" from here.

No long term studies have been performed on the consumption of dihydrogen monoxide, so does that make it unsafe? That particular article also goes on to claim government conspiracies and cover-ups. Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

but excess consumption of dihydrogen monoxide can cause death!!

particularily dangerous when inhaled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

boots are selling lucozade sport in powder form for around 7 or 8 euro. There's enough in it to make around 15 500ml bottles. i think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

lucozade sport should be diluted in 1 pint of water. Fact.

no, but drunk separately alternated with 1 pint of water if needed. If you sweat a LOT, then drinking mostly lucozade sport is ok, but its better to save your money and alternate.

You can also get the formula off Google and make your own, just as good - or buy another brand of isotonic sports drink as it all works the same way but is a lot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nathan

i find lucozade sport to be 1 of the best for rehydration,much more effective than water.i usually alternate between that and gatorade but find lucozade sport to be the best of the bunch having tried nearly all of them over the years.If your using it every sesssion it does get a bit pricy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I never use lucozade sport, but last year i was hill climbing up to 700metres half way up i ran out of steam as it were ! And i took about 30Cl of it and my god it was like inserting new batteries into me, It is mighty stuff i never use it only in circumstances like that, I see people drinking it regulary like cola it must be giving them huge energy but wouldn't this then transfer into calories and thus into flab ?

Regards netwhizkid

no, isotonic drinks only confer a benefit if you become salt and fluid depleted such as any exercise where you sweat A LOT - drinking it liberally or without sweating a lot does nothing as your kidneys just pump the fluid out.

Advertisement