Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is there an eventual plan to link the New Ross Bypass to both the Waterford and Enniscorthy bypasses with motorway.

It all seems quite disjointed given how little distance there will be between the end of one and start of another.

There is a suspended Waterford-Glenmore N25 scheme which was to link the two bypasses with HQDC. You would then have continuous HQDC from Kilmeaden to east of New Ross which could be redesignated motorway.

There is also a plan to link the upgraded N30 west of Enniscorthy with the new N30 New Ross bypass. This scheme will be single carriageway (N30 Moneytucket to New Ross)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is there an eventual plan to link the New Ross Bypass to both the Waterford and Enniscorthy bypasses with motorway.

It all seems quite disjointed given how little distance there will be between the end of one and start of another.

The N30 volumes are pretty small and warrant little further upgrading. The Enniscorthy bypass links to the Moneytucker realignment from the early 2000s so North of Clonroche it will be all excellent road.

South towards Waterford bypass the N25 is not a bad route either from Glenmore and in my opinion doesn't warrant upgrading bar safety improvements. It was upgraded late 80s/early 90s and there's far more pressing routes need looking at first.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Is this not a 2+2 rather than a motorway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

marno21 wrote: »

There is a suspended Waterford-Glenmore N25 scheme which was to link the two bypasses with HQDC. You would then have continuous HQDC from Kilmeaden to east of New Ross which could be redesignated motorway.

There is also a plan to link the upgraded N30 west of Enniscorthy with the new N30 New Ross bypass. This scheme will be single carriageway (N30 Moneytucket to New Ross)

The N30 plan seems a little mad to me. It’s at max 15 miles between both HQDC schemes.

If proper upgrades were done eventually, it would give Waterford 2 routes to Dublin. No rush doing it as you say though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Is this not a 2+2 rather than a motorway?

Oh. Thought it HQDC at a minimum?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Oh. Thought it HQDC at a minimum?

New Ross bypass is HQDC west of the R733 junction (including bridge) and 2+2 east of the R733 junction

The N30 plan seems a little mad to me. It’s at max 15 miles between both HQDC schemes.

If proper upgrades were done eventually, it would give Waterford 2 routes to Dublin. No rush doing it as you say though.

The N80/N30 bypasses of Enniscorthy aren't HQDC and the realignment West of Enniscorthy is WS2 so may as well do the rest of the N30 as WS2 and have a decent standard consistant road

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

No part of the New Ross bypass will ever be redesignated motorway. Even if you could do the bridge, that would force pedestrians and cyclists to use the old road through the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

spacetweek wrote: »
    No part of the New Ross bypass will ever be redesignated motorway. Even if you could do the bridge, that would force pedestrians and cyclists to use the old road through the town.

But that is what happens in Waterford with the N25...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

I thought that pedestrians were not allowed on the new bridge even with its current designation?
    Did someone say that there isn't any pedestrian walkway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

josip wrote: »
    I thought that pedestrians were not allowed on the new bridge even with its current designation?
    Did someone say that there isn't any pedestrian walkway?

That's true. There are signs on the stretch of the N25 that includes the bridge saying that no cyclists or pedestrians are allowed, and there is no physical walkway on the bridge itself.

Which is where they should be.

Cyclists and pedestrians have no business on a dual carriageway with no facilities on them and that have no destinations such as properties or businesses along them. Put decent cycle lanes on the old N25

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Looking at the map, there are only a few bridges over the Slaney south of the N80/N11 junction - two in Enniscorthy itself, two minor roads, and the Ferrycarrig and Wexford Bridge. It would make sense to continue the N30 over the Slaney south of Enniscorthy to connect with the N11, and then onto the M11.

Are there any plans for this?

Edit: I see they are taking the N30 west of Enniscorthy. They could have taken it south, requiring only a few Kms and a new bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Video 2 of the progress. It was tweeted by Wexford County Council today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=102&v=1Qkn8LsNJmw

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Here's a few pics of the barrow crossing from the n25newross website 20/08/17IMAG7001_zpskw6wbpqr.jpg2IMAG7002_zpsbf9tcifb.jpg3IMAG7003_zps1jx3fsp3.jpg

m17 wrote: »
    Here's a few pics of the barrow crossing from the n25newross website 20/08/1723

I can see my house :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

josip wrote: »
    I can see my house :D

It's not even built yet and there's a squatter....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

how is the bridge going to stand on one leg ?

how is the bridge going to stand on one leg ?

_46196569_galapagosflamingo.jpg

• Advertisement

Pumping the concerte on the bridge deckIMAG6022_zpsg3zfnlav.jpg

The bridge deckIMAG6033_zpssyrreoyw.jpg

Good to see a compliant colour scheme during construction.
    I'd expect a purple hue to emerge halfway across the river

Inside one of the bridge piersIMAG6030_zpsaz97favp.jpgtop of the bridge deckIMAG6043_zpswkj1lk5m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Pumping the concerte on the bridge deck
    Anyone know why they're pumping concrete as opposed to using pre-cast?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

M17, are you heading down to New Ross now to photograph the next big project?

• Advertisement

M17, are you heading down to New Ross now to photograph the next big project?

You're dam right just finished doing the m17/m18 project as are so called tds couldn't be bothered starting the m20,I'll be down here bring you the best pics and updates as best as I can for the next two years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭swoofer

m17 perfect, I have retired so have you to keep me going for another 2 years. Great work and really appreciated.

I am hoping I will see M20 but....

Bridge progress update @ end of September 2017:

works-completed-Sept-2017.jpg

Plans for Q4 2017:
    BAM N25 wrote:
    Bridges on local roads
    • Accommodation underpasses
    • Structures Glenmore underpass
    • Earthworks: Drainage
    • Barrow Bridge: bridge deck.
    • Road Diversion – N25 Glenmore & local road tie-ins
    • Pavement
    • Landscaping

Seems to be motoring along well!

4no4UD6.jpg

3w3Fg6d.jpg

DfDF8l7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What's the one labelled "Push pull" next to the central P4 in the above image?

• Advertisement

JohnC. wrote: »
    What's the one labelled "Push pull" next to the central P4 in the above image?

Force is defined as the push or pull on object's compression and tension are the push and pull that help bridges to remain standing

The river barrowIMAG6093_zpsaa7adriq.jpg

^^^^^^ That wasn't taken yesterday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

marno21 wrote: »
    Bridge progress update @ end of September 2017:

works-completed-Sept-2017.jpg

Plans for Q4 2017:

Seems to be motoring along well!

Am I right in that 'push-pull' pylon in the middle is to damp out oscillation on the bridge?

Thanks spacetweek for your write up on www.irishmotorwayinfo.com cheers mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

that looks like a gigantic bridge.
    Its not going to be tolled is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

No toll. :-)

The wexford side of the barrow bridge 11/10/17IMAG6107_zpsl2y7tmg6.jpg

Each stretch of the bridge deck is manufactured in a fixed pre fabrication area behind the abutment,each new stretch is joined to the previously built and pushed by a hydraulic system, so that the bridge deck is sliding on the piers that are previously builthttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObvE4J4GOF8&sns=em

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

The wexford side of the barrow bridge 11/10/17IMAG6107_zpsl2y7tmg6.jpg

Are you getting all these pics from the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Enniscorthy-Ross-bypass-and-bridge-photos-videos-726109404156596/, or will you be going on a trip down south every now and again?

• Advertisement

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Are you getting all these pics from the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Enniscorthy-Ross-bypass-and-bridge-photos-videos-726109404156596/, or will you be going on a trip down south every now and again?

I'm also posting pics there as well after spending 33 months on the m17/ m18 project I'll be coming down here more often bringing you the best pics and updates as best as I can

Climbing formwork for concrete pouring at height with working platforms as vertical formwork support for those walls which due to their height cannot be poured at once,they suit construction of dams,towers,piers and pylonshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG7rpjU3XR8

Here's some pics of the barrow crossing form the n25 newross website September 17 IMAG8001_zpsucxbu9gz.jpg2IMAG8002_zpsy1kngmct.jpg3IMAG8003_zpsmybnckiq.jpg4IMAG8004_zpspzjfsieg.jpg5IMAG8005_zpsxq3nyg24.jpg6IMAG8006_zpstfdsqbls.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

38141934902_ac30508df9_b.jpg

37463484384_dc969440c6_b.jpg

38141934552_286fe0f517_b.jpg

37463484084_13c0901a80_b.jpg

37463483844_4267a0aa3b_b.jpg

38141933812_5bcf234519_b.jpg

38141934122_f68cfae76e_b.jpg

38141934152_a26fde4357_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If travelling westbound on N25 and come to Ballymacar, will I be able to join the by pass seamlessly towards Waterford or will this be a roundabout to get up on to the by pass? Same travelling eastbound ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

vicwatson wrote: »
    If travelling westbound on N25 and come to Ballymacar, will I be able to join the by pass seamlessly towards Waterford or will this be a roundabout to get up on to the by pass? Same travelling eastbound ?

At grade roundabouts at both ends - Corcorans Cross & Glenmore- and at Ballymacar.

vicwatson wrote: »

It is standard practice to end a fast road with a roundabout - a bit like a full stop. This occurs even though the planners know that the road will continue in the next phase of upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

It is standard practice to end a fast road with a roundabout - a bit like a full stop. This occurs even though the planners know that the road will continue in the next phase of upgrade.

The only place that i know of where that didn't happen was when the original section of the M18 stopped at Gort...they finished at a grade separated junction...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    The only place that i know of where that didn't happen was when the original section of the M18 stopped at Gort...they finished at a grade separated junction...;)

Been a few where roads ended with a lane drop before upgrades - M11 before Rathnew-Arklow for one, as did the original M4.

The N4 near motorway grade DC still does.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Been a few where roads ended with a lane drop before upgrades - M11 before Rathnew-Arklow for one, as did the original M4.

The N4 near motorway grade DC still does.

And did as it was gradually extended towards Athlone.

Why is this practice not adopted everywhere?

Advertisement