Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hellblade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Don't think so - I think I read that your arms start getting infected the more you die - if the infection reaches your head it's game over and you have to restart.

I also read some reviews that said they didn't die enough to trigger permadeath, so it might just be an issue for careless players and button mashers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd put money on it being a bluff or its so lenient it won't ever be an issue. Either way it's still an nice way to put a bit of player agency into the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

OK here is the actual answer based on PCGamesN's testing. No spoilers - just watch if you want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Boring, they should have just had permadeath in the game with an option to disable it.

On another note, how is the game? Didn't realize till today that it was also getting a PC release. Anyone play it, is it anygood?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Are you lost? She doesn't know where she's going.

Downloaded this before bed, can't wait to play some more later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

dudeeile wrote: »
    Are you lost? She doesn't know where she's going.

Downloaded this before bed, can't wait to play some more later.

From watching some YT reviews, yes, I think you're meant to be kept intentionally on edge, and that may include a feeling of being lost etc

Thinking of picking it up myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Gonna get it on PC I think. Will wait for a sale though. As amazing as it sounds, I'm being scabby with what I buy lately. I'll prob get it next year so :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've only played 45 mins or so, but when it says play with headphones - make sure you take that advice. It's very early days yet, but the sound design is this game's special something - that might come across as faint praise, but it's truly extraordinary. It's not just technically impressive - it lends the game an uncommonly uneasy, hostile atmosphere while also playing a major role in helping the player become engrossed in the protagonist's frame of mind. Outside Papa Sangre on mobile, I don't think I've come across a game that uses sound in such a fresh way - which, regardless of how the rest of the game plays out, is a pretty significant achievement.

The game looks and runs great on PC, by the way, if anyone's wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Every positive user review is graphics graphics graphics, sound sound sound, story story story. This is a red flag, especially with Ninja Theory (DmC). No ambitious, interesting, satisfying, repayable or challenging gameplay?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well DMC was terrible when it came to story but they very almost nailed the gameplay. It was the first game they made with actual mechanics rather than the absolute **** or their previous games so I'm hopeful they built upon it. However im not so hopeful of the story. Ive heard it's bad and clichnd the people praising it are the game reviewers who praise dumpster fires like heavy rain, beyond two souls and even DMC as having good writing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I find myself unable to play this game for long stretches at a time... and I mean that in a good way. The way the various elements combine to create this relentlessly oppressive atmosphere makes me feel genuinely uneasy playing the thing. The stretches between bosses thankfully seem to reflect this, and make for easily digestible 45 minute long stretches of play.

I'm impressed how everything comes together here. When people praise the sound or the visuals, it's not purely in a cold technical sense - they're part of a game with an uncommonly coherent, thematically motivated vision holding the various elements together. At first I wasn't entirely sold on the rather straightforward puzzling, especially the 'find the shape in the environment' ones. But they've taken on further depths as I've gone along. Not always mechanically - although there's a few clever 'a-ha' moments here and there as the game encourages you to toy around with perspective - but how certain puzzle-types double down on the game's portrayal of a character experiencing psychosis. This is one of gaming's most 'all-in' efforts to portray an unreliable protagonist - at it's best, captured through sound, visuals and gameplay working in harmony.

The combat is probably the least interesting part of the package, but still perfectly serviceable. It's nice and weighty, and includes a particularly satisfying dodge move that feels like a mix of Dark Souls and Gears of War. The enemy variety is limited so far, but a few - particularly a shield-wielding one and the bosses - do require some understanding of how everything works (and the game 100% lets you figure even the basics out for yourself). Even in the fighting, it should be stressed, the game's stunning sound design plays an important role - listening to the voices in your head are essential to avoid some unpleasant surprises, and indeed that adds an extra mechanical flourish to the brawls. It could do with a being more difficult for sure, though - 2+ hours in and only one boss has felt anything like a workout (and a light one at that).

The plot is straightforward mythical stuff, although the acting is excellent as it was in Enslaved. Ultimately, it's the games atmosphere and complex formal efforts at realising a character's state of mind that make this a significant and expressive attempt at interactive storytelling - it achieves the sort of things most other games couldn't be bothered even trying to attempt. It is a flawed but also engrossing and assured example of how to tell a story in a fresh way.

And once again: for the love of god play this with headphones!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

(mild spoilers)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They weren't lying when they strongly recommended headphones before it starts. The dialogue, whispers and ambience sounds incredible.

3 months after launch and the game is in profit, great news for game development.

They've just uploaded their final dev diary, number 30 in the series.

The video below has been made using screenshots and comments they have received from people who have played the game. If you haven't played this yet then just look at the positive reviews, couple that with the message they are selling and the way they have gone about getting this game to market and hopefully you see some reasons to pick it up.

With all the negatives doing the rounds in the games industry lately it's nice to grab some stuff that comes at it from another angle and actually turns a profit. They also donated over £60k to mental health, the proceeds from sales on World Mental Health Day.

Ninja Theory blog: http://www.ninjatheory.com/wp/?cat=1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

still waiting for this to be on sale lol

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

sweetie wrote: »
    still waiting for this to be on sale lol

Considering price, it was on sale from day 1 :)

€21 on PSN store until the 11th Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Between the nominations on the boards game awards, the devs contributions to mental health and my own thirst for story driven games these days, I might just have to get this even though I just started my 'no more games till after Christmas' rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Between the nominations on the boards game awards, the devs contributions to mental health and my own thirst for story driven games these days, I might just have to get this even though I just started my 'no more games till after Christmas' rule.

I had my own no more games until after Christmas rule going on. I broke it to buy this last night. Looking forward to getting stuck into this tonight.

I had my own no more games until after Christmas rule going on. I broke it to buy this last night. Looking forward to getting stuck into this tonight.

Let me know how you find it.

• Advertisement

Watched the accolades trailer and went to the store to buy it. Forgot I already had a fiver in my wallet, made it an even easier purchase. Really looking forward to this and will try my headphones which I never use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Let me know how you find it.

Played about an hour of this last night. I'll be playing in small digestible amounts on headphones as it feels quite intense. Amazing graphics and sound design is incredible. Glad I broke my no more games rule.

Playing it at the mo with headphones, Absolutely incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Zero, you have worse impulse control to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Not a great game to start when you're tired & drunk :pac:

Good audio design.
    Decent combat so far.

Wow, this was an intense, amazing and quite challenging game. Kudos to the developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Everyone recommending to play it with headphones. How does it play without? Was about to buy it today so i tried my headset and found the right ear to be broken and thus held off on buying it :pac::pac::pac:

Everyone recommending to play it with headphones. How does it play without? Was about to buy it today so i tried my headset and found the right ear to be broken and thus held off on buying it

I used both methods, twas fine without.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

I loved every minute of it.
    I upgraded from a slim to a Pro 3/4 through it.

I'm just waiting a bit longer to try to forget some of it for another play through

• Advertisement

Everyone recommending to play it with headphones. How does it play without? Was about to buy it today so i tried my headset and found the right ear to be broken and thus held off on buying it :pac::pac::pac:

I do think you’d miss something: still lots to like, but the sound is the game’s most interesting design choice. Headphones simulate ‘voices in your head’ in a way another sound system won’t, even a really good surround one.

There’s still a really interesting game in there regardless of the audio output, for sure, but man those whispering voices...

Advertisement