Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you prefer less Irish people in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Why aren't these people on the dole doing the jobs now? They deem themselves above being a cleaner or dishwasher, that's why. Lots of people on social welfare are probably better off on the scratcher than getting the kind of job they'd qualify for.

I'm a country with among the highest uptake in third level education there will always be opportunities for immigrants to work in lower end jobs.

There's a section of the community who would rather the dole than washing dishes for minimum wage, and then immigrants will come with no SW entitlement who will work these jobs as compared to their home countries it's a good opportunity.

Immigration is an inevitability, and in most cases it's a positive thing, I'd much rather an immigrant who is willing to work to keep themselves than an "native Irish" person who has their sights set on social welfare payments as a long term career.

We've also had an influx of some rather good looking DNA which is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dick Rimmington

there might be exceptions but as far as i know, you cant just come to ireland and get welfare payments straight away.

i was born in a different country to an irish parent and despite having citizenship and more ties to ireland than my 'home' country i was declined any sort of help upon returning here a few years ago.
    just to make it clear, i was in no way looking for handouts, i was willing and looking for any job, i just needed help until i got on my feet. staying/returning to the country i was born was not an option for reasons not relevant to this thread.
    thankfully i had family here who were very supportive by housing and feeding me as i, without a doubt, would have been homeless and begging for food on the streets.

so i am wondering how do immigrants who have no ties to ireland at all manage to get around the habitual residency condition and receive 'instant' payments? judging from my own experience i dont think it is possible but im open to corrections (i actually welcome them, im curious!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

Shenshen wrote: »
    So you think culture changing is a bad thing?

Mass immigration changing the fundamentals of culture in such a short space of time is not the same as indigenous culture changing by its own volition.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

AnGaelach wrote: »
    Mass immigration changing the fundamentals of culture in such a short space of time is not the same as indigenous culture changing by its own volition.

I'm not entirely convinced that net migration of 3100 people a year is mass immigration.

And I'm not sure that 15% non-native Irish really constitutes a threat to anybody's way of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Immigration is as old as human history and complaining that immigrants are going to destroy our native way of life is almost as old; have a read of "Bloody Foreigners" by Robert Winder - it's about immigration and the reaction to it in Britain throughout history, but a lot of it is just as valid when it comes to talking about Ireland - specifically non-colonial, economic immigrants.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bloody-Foreigners-Story-Immigration-Britain-ebook/dp/B0048BQR9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499272174&sr=8-1&keywords=bloody+foreigners+book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭brevity

I generally don't have a huge issue with foreigners. I work with quite a few and they are like most other people, just trying to get along. I dont know any that are pushing their culture on anyone.

The problem really is to ensure that people, both foreign and national, are aware of their responsibilities while living here. Yes, they have rights but nothing is free. They should be expected to give back to the country where possible.

I really don't like the idea of generational dolers...that would be my biggest concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Look at cities in the UK and see how disastrous multiculturalism has been for them.

I'm not entirely convinced that net migration of 3100 people a year is mass immigration.

You think that 18% of the country being non-Irish doesn't constitute mass migration?

What do you consider "mass migration" then, 50%? 60%? 80%?

You think that 18% of the country being non-Irish doesn't constitute mass migration?

What do you consider "mass migration" then, 50%? 60%? 80%?

There are currently a little over 15% non-native Irish living in Ireland. Those 15% includes Irish people born abroad with not Irish passport.
    I would start calling it mass immigration once you had an actual net immigration of 18% per year. Currently, you don't even have 1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I'd consider 50K+ people coming to this country in one year to be mass immigration.
    And I'm not sure that 15% non-native Irish really constitutes a threat to anybody's way of life.
    That 15% can vary significantly depending on what area you live in.
    You also have to take into account the speed at which this change occurs.

• Advertisement

I'd consider 50K+ people coming to this country in one year to be mass immigration.
    That 15% can vary significantly depending on what area you live in.
    You also have to take into account the speed at which this change occurs.

I'd consider 60k+ leaving to be quite a strong emmigration, and that would actually worry me a lot more.

There are currently a little over 15% non-native Irish living in Ireland. Those 15% includes Irish people born abroad with not Irish passport.

Why you're quoting the CIA on it when the Census has said the country is 82% Irish is beyond me.
    I would start calling it mass immigration once you had an actual net immigration of 18% per year. Currently, you don't even have 1%.

The migration into Germany in 2015 was considered mass migration and it accounted for 1.2%

You're saying Germany didn't have any mass migration then? And you'd only constitute it as mass migration if there was 14.65 million people entering in a year?

You're being contrarian for the sake of being contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

there might be exceptions but as far as i know, you cant just come to ireland and get welfare payments straight away.

i was born in a different country to an irish parent and despite having citizenship and more ties to ireland than my 'home' country i was declined any sort of help upon returning here a few years ago.
    just to make it clear, i was in no way looking for handouts, i was willing and looking for any job, i just needed help until i got on my feet. staying/returning to the country i was born was not an option for reasons not relevant to this thread.
    thankfully i had family here who were very supportive by housing and feeding me as i, without a doubt, would have been homeless and begging for food on the streets.

so i am wondering how do immigrants who have no ties to ireland at all manage to get around the habitual residency condition and receive 'instant' payments? judging from my own experience i dont think it is possible but im open to corrections (i actually welcome them, im curious!)

Usually by using the race card

Why you're quoting the CIA on it when the Census has said the country is 82% Irish is beyond me.

The migration into Germany in 2015 was considered mass migration and it accounted for 1.2%

You're saying Germany didn't have any mass migration then? And you'd only constitute it as mass migration if there was 14.65 million people entering in a year?

You're being contrarian for the sake of being contrary.

I would not have called it mass immigration, no. I would have called it, and still call it, and refugee crisis.
    Germany has had net immigration of between 1 - 3% for the last number of years. The numbers were not the problem. The fact that the people arrived destitute, exhausted and traumatised was the problem.

Thanks for pointing me to the census - I usually avoid it, as the numbers are presented in a very awkward way, but interestingly it states that the number of non-nationals living in Ireland is in fact 11.6%, down from 12.2% from the previous census.
    Though they do go on to say that this is most likely down to an increase in dual citizenship.
    Still, CIA got it quite wrong indeed.

They do confirm my previous assertion that the empolyment number among non-national are quite a bit stronger than among nationals :

Non-Irish nationals have traditionally had a higher labour
    force participation rate than their Irish counterparts,
    and while remaining strong at 73.9 per cent in 2016, it
    has fallen marginally from 74.2 per cent in 2011. The
    equivalent figure in 2006 was 75.7 per cent. The
    comparable rate for Irish nationals was 59.5 per cent
    in 2016, (down from 60.1% and 60.9% in 2011 and 2006
    respectively).

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/newsevents/documents/census2016summaryresultspart2/Chapter_5_Nationality.pdf

I would not have called it mass immigration, no. I would have called it, and still call it, and refugee crisis.
    Germany has had net immigration of between 1 - 3% for the last number of years. The numbers were not the problem. The fact that the people arrived destitute, exhausted and traumatised was the problem.

Thanks for pointing me to the census - I usually avoid it, as the numbers are presented in a very awkward way, but interestingly it states that the number of non-nationals living in Ireland is in fact 11.6%, down from 12.2% from the previous census.
    Though they do go on to say that this is most likely down to an increase in dual citizenship.
    Still, CIA got it quite wrong indeed.

They do confirm my previous assertion that the empolyment number among non-national are quite a bit stronger than among nationals :

Non-Irish nationals have traditionally had a higher labour
    force participation rate than their Irish counterparts,
    and while remaining strong at 73.9 per cent in 2016, it
    has fallen marginally from 74.2 per cent in 2011. The
    equivalent figure in 2006 was 75.7 per cent. The
    comparable rate for Irish nationals was 59.5 per cent
    in 2016, (down from 60.1% and 60.9% in 2011 and 2006
    respectively).

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/newsevents/documents/census2016summaryresultspart2/Chapter_5_Nationality.pdf

Hows it a refugee crisis when
    1: Mainly all men, women left behind to fight
    2: The majority are not from Syria but other countries not at conflict

In fairness its Germany's fault that Europe is having this problem. Merkel invited them & now its gotten out of control she hopes Italy will stop the flow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

11.6%. There's no need to make sh*t up.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/newsevents/documents/pressreleases/2017/prCensussummarypart1.pdf
    Census 2016 results show that Ireland’s population stood at 4,761,865 in April 2016, an increase of
    173,613 (3.8%) since April 2011. The total number of non-Irish nationals fell slightly to 535,475, or 11.6%
    of the population, the first decline since the introduction of this question in 2002, while the number of
    people with dual-Irish nationality has increased by 48,879 to 104,784 people since April 2011.

We've actually become more Irish since the last census. I'm sure the OP is delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

dav3 wrote: »

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/newsevents/documents/pressreleases/2017/prCensussummarypart1.pdf

We've actually become more Irish since the last census. I'm sure the OP is delighted.

You think the lads sleeping ten to a room in the city centre all filled out their census forms?

You think the lads sleeping ten to a room in the city centre all filled out their census forms?

What lads? What reason have they got for not filling it out?

Are we saying we're not using the census and cso figures and we're going back to making up sh*t? That's fine with me.

Ireland is 99% Irish, some bloke on the internet told me.

I would not have called it mass immigration, no.

Well, you're simply wrong. It's been called mass migration by the vast majority of people, we even had NGOs tell us it was the largest movement of people since ww2.

And yet somehow it isn't mass migration.
    Shenshen wrote:

Handing them citizenship doesn't mean they aren't from somewhere else. If you want to look at the numbers themselves, you'll notice it is 82% Irish. The rest are naturalised foreigners.

Fudging the numbers (since over 100,000 people didn't put any ethnicity) to make it seem like it's more Irish than it isn't is dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The census is a load of bollocks if that is true.

If people are telling me they're less immigrants in the country now then 2011 they are either.

a. blind
    b. stupid
    c. don't live in Ireland

• Advertisement

That's right lads, let's ignore the census. Sure Peter Sutherland and George Soros probably typed it all up themselves, amirite?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That's right lads, let's ignore the census. Sure Peter Sutherland and George Soros probably typed it all up themselves, amirite?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:what a load of nonsense.

Some of us live in a real world.

If the census told you to jump off the bridge would you? You would ya.:rolleyes:

It 100 times more difficult to get rented accommodation in Cork and Dublin now then it was in 2011. Health services are under far more pressure, roads are getting busier. But ya everyone is leaving:pac::pac:

I'm using the numbers from the census.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/population/2017/Chapter_6_Ethnicity_and_irish_travellers.pdf

White Irish: 3,854,226 (+0.8)
    Total: 4,689,921 (+3.6)

That's 82.1%.

OK people lets play a little game called spot the Syrian refugee kinda like wheres Wally

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Do you live in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Same as with the natives on benefits and in social housing and have never worked a day in their lives. They're financed out of the taxes the others pay.

Please stop referring to this ****e every single response "but here the Irish draw the dole." We will deal with this eventually. People are trying to address the foreseeable problem. Not the one we have already.

Migrant crime in Germany rose by 50% last year but sure they will come here to work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

So even though they're not all refugees and in most cases refugees are in the minority, you still call it a refugee crisis.
    But you won't call it a mass migration, even though it's millions of people immigrating. :confused:
    No the numbers were the problem, if these migrants were all highly skilled German speakers, it would still have caused problems due to their sheer numbers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Yes we all know what Dublin was like, but dont you want to see change. Less non Irish people on benefits, council housing, HSE is better for the people who are working here & paying taxes. Sooner or later somethings going to break & the Irish economy will end up like Greece, Merkel & the EU wont come running to help.

Why does it make a difference if the person on social welfare is Irish or not. I want to see fewer people on social welfare. That right, "fewer people on social welfare" is how "less people on benefits" should actually be written.

People migrate to Ireland for jobs, by in large, they don't migrate to scam "benefits". I find your use of the term "benefits" interesting. Do you read the Daily Mail?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Help!!!! wrote: »
    What about the ones that are on benefits & social housing & have never worked a day in Ireland?

Here's a challenge: what % of the live register are foreign born. Now what % of them have never worked a day in Ireland. Can you find me that data?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement