Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free mobile roaming in EU and beyond

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Heading to Spain Tuesday I'm on meteor free calls texts landlines 15gb

Do I just use my phone as if I'm at home or is there anything I need to set up cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

torrevieja wrote: »

Do I just use my phone as if I'm at home or is there anything I need to set up cheers

just work away as normal. You can text balance roam to 50104 to check remaining data

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

You may need to enable data roaming in settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You may need to enable data roaming in settings.
    Anyone with mvno is used to that but I forgot lot of people wouldn't think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭dodzy

Bring your suncream. It's fecking roasting over here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭garyskeepers

im with virgin mobile,, and free roaming actually means. 5.5 gig per month.. for someone who travels a lot, thats a very small "fair usage" policy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

im with virgin mobile,, and free roaming actually means. 5.5 gig per month.. for someone who travels a lot, thats a very small "fair usage" policy
    How much did 5.5 gigs cost you last month?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The rules as laid down by brussels are there to cover an average europeans two week hollier each year or casual border crossings that continentals make. You're an edge case and should be using local SIMs if you're away that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Virgin Mobile is the wrong network for someone who travels a lot.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I use less then 1.5GB per month in both Ireland and during lots of travelling.

Perfectly fine for whatsapp, imessage, email, Google Maps, general browsing, even some Spotify.

Obviously not designed for lots of video, Youtube, Netflix, etc. But then mobile broadband isn't really well designed for such high rate date services. That is what fixed Broadband/wifi is for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

There's some sync issue with Google Drive at the moment on my PC and it ended up using **** loads of data while tethering.

I'm with Eir on this plan: https://business.eir.ie/product/sim-only-plan/

I got a data warning that I used 80% and then 100% of my 15GB allowance (even though it says "unlimited" data on the link above).

I also got a letter recently saying that the plan is going from €20 ex vat to €25 ex vat but will then allow 20GB of data. The 6.3GB data for roaming will stay the same even though the domestic data is changing. Once the allowance has been used while roaming, you pay €2 for a daily limit of 100MB in the UK (not sure about EU), but if you go over this, each MB is €0.99!! That sounds very high? I thought they limited that kind of pricing years ago?

The offer I'm on sounds very ambiguous. They say unlimited data and they also say PLUS 1GB data roaming, but the guy on the phone said the 1GB is taken from your allowance too.

Since I used my 15GB, and actually have used 17.5GB, I decided I better opt for their 10GB add on just to get me through the rest of the month, however I don't get any DATA roaming with this plus I still have to pay for the 2.5GB I went over, it's not being taken from the 10GB.

The link above states different pricing (€20 and €25), different data (15GB and unlimited) and different roaming (plus 1GB data roaming (UK, EU & USA) and 1GB data roaming (USA))

It's all over the place, I wonder could one argue they had been misled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭corks finest

bk wrote: »

I use less then 1.5GB per month in both Ireland and during lots of travelling.

Perfectly fine for whatsapp, imessage, email, Google Maps, general browsing, even some Spotify.

Obviously not designed for lots of video, Youtube, Netflix, etc. But then mobile broadband isn't really well designed for such high rate date services. That is what fixed Broadband/wifi is for.
    Download Google maps for offline use,update it every few weeks,

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Regarding the out of bundle costs that does sound strange. There's a definite rule under regulations on their OOB costs in Europe (includes UK), the ones you are reflecting seem more likely to be the domestic charges (which are high for all operators). Maybe if that is their OOB charge in Ireland it can now be the one in Europe?

If you have a roaming bundle, it's usually marked separately from the domestic, you should be able to check the status of bundle balances with the messages: balance data and balance roam to 50104, at least I can but I'm consumer not on a business tariff...

Anyway, you seem to have used your domestic balance, not your roaming balance. They are quite clear on the link and screenshot you provided that it's 15GB domestic...

My guess is that your roaming bundle which was previously UK, EU and USA (UK = EU, so pointless even to note separate) is now just a USA bundle, or will be.

The 10GB add on maybe you should check with their customer service if it includes a roaming allowance, my understanding was that every bundle has to be include some EU roaming allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks a lot for the reply. I noticed on my last bill that I have actually started paying the €25+ vat a month already, it's noted on my bill that a 5GB add on is included. One CS rep said that you get separate notifications for each one. He needs to check a few things and call me back, but I would have thought that the 10gb add on would have included roaming too.

Seems to be very messed up with them though, they have all sorts displayed on the link above and then they are messing up with my bill too and the data warnings.

I might just switch to Virgin Media though, this sounds like the best bill plan deal right now:
    Hi and welcome to Virgin Mobile Chat, I'm Brian. How can I help you today?

C at 12:24, Jun 27:
    Hi Brian, can you please tell me is this plan Sim only?
    https://www.virginmedia.ie/mobile/offerdetails/
    I mean, 30 day

Brian at 12:25, Jun 27:
    All our SIM only plans are 30 day/monthly contracts. :)

C at 12:27, Jun 27:
    it says "buy now and get plan for €15/pm" though, so you don't need to get into 12/18/24 month contract for it?
    Virgin Mobile Unlimited€25 Unlimited call minutes Unlimited Texts Unlimited GB data EU Roaming Included Buy now and get plan for €15pm for 6 months Price per month€25

Brian at 12:29, Jun 27:
    That's correct, the discount is for 6 months, but you are free to leave it at any point by either transferring your number to a different provider or giving us 30 days cancellation notice. :)

C at 12:30, Jun 27:
    and this includes 5.5gb of EU roaming?

Brian at 12:30, Jun 27:
    Exactly you would have 5.5GB data roaming in the EU, as well as all calls and texts. :)

C at 12:31, Jun 27:
    that's not bad, thanks a lot, I'll definitely consider switching soon Thanks for your help!

Advertisement