Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

grogi wrote: »
    No way. To much customs trouble.
    Addresspal (an post) were going on about a US service before, seemed to be well into plans for it, heard nothing since.

ED E wrote: »
    True, but the bulk volume comes from mail carriers not couriers. If we take Amazon UK as the primary source (I suspect it is) then its Royal Mail or Amazon inhouse.
    I would think most amazon buyers use the £25 limit and get free delivery. I do agree that its likely that most post to PM is going via RM, and that parcelmotel would/could not exist at its current price and availability if it was not for RM's heavily subsidisded postal costs to NI. Not sure if that poster was just being pedantic and saying RM do not directly subsidise them, which of course is obvious.

Most couriers will not subsidise costs to NI and so I guess will charge around the same as posting to the republic, and so there is not much saving to be had. Some might use it for convenience though, or you still get the odd place who just have a blanket "UK only" policy, so you could not select to get it delivered here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,504 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Can we expect price increases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

That's inevitable

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

grogi wrote: »
    That's inevitable

I wouldn't be so sure. They will need to be careful with competition from ParcelWizard, AddressPal, etc. They certainly don't have the market to themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If AP would do lockers thered be great competition, current PO model can't compete for a large segment of society. My DU is open to 7PM yet AddPal uses the PO that closes at 5.30...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ED E wrote: »
    If AP would do lockers thered be great competition, current PO model can't compete for a large segment of society. My DU is open to 7PM yet AddPal uses the PO that closes at 5.30...

Yes, AP's services are simply not fit for purpose for modern society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭deezell

bk wrote: »
    Yes, AP's services are simply not fit for purpose for modern society.

Nightline and their offshoot PM we're such a success because they went after a market that other providers covered badly and expensively. I sold a good few heavyish bits years ago to the UK and it was only possible because of their affordable rates. Similarly their low cost rate for oversize on PM is a winner. If the new owners mess up they become a target for a start-up who are not looking to fleece customers. With a turnover of 50 million the sale price must have been many multiples of this. Always the problem with big takeovers is they take out the competition and can monopolise the service. Expect price rises disguised as new improved service offerings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Unusual delays with parcel motel this week, I've had checked in parcels and no deliveries to the motel since the middle of last week.

There are five parcels stacked up for delivery now.

Has similar issues with my work parcel motel account in the same timeframe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think they will stay the same short term, if there is any change straight off I would think there is more chance of it being a price decrease. AP are 3.75 and they might want to get publicity (not a lot less, thought they were still 3.50, but the increase did annoy some).

Down the line of course there would be increases eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Well whatever happens price wise I hope they establish an easy to use means of support for when users have issues. One that is actually policed with a timely turnaround.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Conchy

Bit of a strange question but I have a balance of 2.10 in my parcel motel, if I add my debit card before my next delivery will I be charged the full €3.95 or only €1.95?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Conchy wrote: »
    Bit of a strange question but I have a balance of 2.10 in my parcel motel, if I add my debit card before my next delivery will I be charged the full €3.95 or only €1.95?

You'll be charged the difference so €1.85 once the parcel is checked in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

looking to place order with argos uk and ship to PM

need uk phone number on the form - is there a phone number I can use for parcel motel? Or should I just stick in any old number and rely on email?

Apologies if this has been asked before - but with all due respect I'm not searching through 629 pages.

lawred2 wrote: »
    looking to place order with argos uk and ship to PM

need uk phone number on the form - is there a phone number I can use for parcel motel? Or should I just stick in any old number and rely on email?

Apologies if this has been asked before - but with all due respect I'm not searching through 629 pages.

A quick search for phone in this thread:
    deezell wrote:
    PM give this phone number to use.
    028 9084 8411
    As for losing the PM ID, try putting it in a different line of the address, say after ' McKinney rd'

• Advertisement

A quick search for phone in this thread:

cheers

for future ref - how do you search within thread?

Just above first post on the right 'Thread Tools' 'Search This Thread' and 'Rate this Thread'

that worked fine - cheers

nowtv box with 4 month kid's pass delivered for ?19

now to create an account with my mother in law's uk address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Are there big delays at the minute getting stuff from NI to locker? Delivery signed for in Antrim and no sign of it yet on the PM dashboard

statto25 wrote: »
    Are there big delays at the minute getting stuff from NI to locker? Delivery signed for in Antrim and no sign of it yet on the PM dashboard

When was it signed in? I haven't noticed any delays.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Normally only takes a few hours for me, had stuff arrive last week and was updated within 4 hours. I have something due to arrive today so will check it in a while and see.

When was it signed in? I haven't noticed any delays.

Ya it was signed for on Wednesday of last week

Ya it was signed for on Wednesday of last week

Something must be wrong then. Everything for me has been checked in the same day.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Normally only takes a few hours for me, had stuff arrive last week and was updated within 4 hours. I have something due to arrive today so will check it in a while and see.

It was signed for nearly a week ago. I have the signature here from Royal Mail on their tracking.

Something must be wrong then. Everything for me has been checked in the same day.

Balls anyway. I logged a support ticket. Does anyone from PM monitor this thread?

I had something marked as delivered by sender on Friday - PM have no notion about it. Having to get it resent.

I had something marked as delivered by sender on Friday - PM have no notion about it. Having to get it resent.

Are they covering the cost of it?

Are they covering the cost of it?

the sender is - it's possible however that the sender's courier ballsed up because he took a picture of some notice claiming that the facility would open again on Monday.

Parcel Motel are apparently manned 24/7 so they have no idea what notice the courier took a picture of.

it was an Argos courier.

the sender is - it's possible however that the sender's courier ballsed up because he took a picture of some notice claiming that the facility would open again on Monday.

Parcel Motel are apparently manned 24/7 so they have no idea what notice the courier took a picture of.

it was an Argos courier.

Mine is Ebay and Hermes/Royal Mail Tracked. I have a signature too but cant tell if it was PM or not.

Mine is Ebay and Hermes/Royal Mail Tracked. I have a signature too but cant tell if it was PM or not.

Hermes are a disaster... I would almost put my house on it that any breakdown in the delivery was down to Hermes...

Self employed lads earning buttons to race about the place delivering packages. These guys aren't professionals. That company is a joke.

I sink in my chair every time I realise that a sender for something I ordered is using Hermes..

At best slow - at worst - disappearing packages

• Advertisement

Hermes are a disaster... I would almost put my house on it that any breakdown in the delivery was down to Hermes...

Self employed lads earning buttons to race about the place delivering packages. These guys aren't professionals. That company is a joke.

I sink in my chair every time I realise that a sender for something I ordered is using Hermes..

At best slow - at worst - disappearing packages

Ah balls anyway. Its small value but its the hassle now getting this sorted that ticks me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Therock18

Delighted to find this thread, so informative! :)

I'm just after to signing up to PM because lately I've starting buying numerous items online through different sites and it will work out a lot cheaper. I've also recently turned down the opportunity of buying a number of items through eBay and Amazon as it stated 'UK Delivery only'... feel foolish now considering this service is on my doorstep.

I do have 2 quick question to ask: 1) It states on their site that it costs from €3.95 per stay for collecting and from €4.50 per stay for sending. So, for example, if I purchase an item from Advert.ie that dimension wise is within their 'Small Locker Size' am I correct in saying that the seller will pay €4.50 to send and I would pay €3.95 for collection therefore costing me a total of €8.45 for delivery? (NOTE: I am basing this on sending PM to another PM).

2) In terms of sending, it again states on their site that the cost to 'Send from a Parcel Motel to an address in Ireland/Northern Ireland' is €6.50 for small locker, €7.50 for medium locker and €8.50 for large locker. However, also stated on their site is that their 'New Address Delivery' starts from €7.95 for a parcel up to 41 ? 38 ? 64 cm and a maximum weight is 10 kg (i.e. Large Locker). Am i missing something obvious or does this not add up?

Thanks in advance!

Therock18 wrote: »
    Delighted to find this thread, so informative! :)

I'm just after to signing up to PM because lately I've starting buying numerous items online through different sites and it will work out a lot cheaper. I've also recently turned down the opportunity of buying a number of items through eBay and Amazon as it stated 'UK Delivery only'... feel foolish now considering this service is on my doorstep.

I do have 2 quick question to ask: 1) It states on their site that it costs from €3.95 per stay for collecting and from €4.50 per stay for sending. So, for example, if I purchase an item from Advert.ie that dimension wise is within their 'Small Locker Size' am I correct in saying that the seller will pay €4.50 to send and I would pay €3.95 for collection therefore costing me a total of €8.45 for delivery? (NOTE: I am basing this on sending PM to another PM).

2) In terms of sending, it again states on their site that the cost to 'Send from a Parcel Motel to an address in Ireland/Northern Ireland' is €6.50 for small locker, €7.50 for medium locker and €8.50 for large locker. However, also stated on their site is that their 'New Address Delivery' starts from €7.95 for a parcel up to 41 ? 38 ? 64 cm and a maximum weight is 10 kg (i.e. Large Locker). Am i missing something obvious or does this not add up?

Thanks in advance!

the sending is to allow you to send items through parcel motel..

The cost to have PM receive something for you and take it to your local collection centre is 3.95.

the sending is to allow you to send items through parcel motel..

The cost to have PM receive something for you and take it to your local collection centre is 3.95.
    Thanks for the reply!

Yes I realise the sending is to allow you to send items through parcel motel but if you are sending to physical address it's telling me €6.50-small locker, €7.50-medium locker, €8.50-large locker. Further down the page it's telling me 'Address Delivery' starts from €7.95?

Ok, so in relation to my example of buying from Adverts, postage would only be €3.95 in total.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I realise the sending is to allow you to send items through parcel motel but if you are sending to physical address it's telling me €6.50-small locker, €7.50-medium locker, €8.50-large locker. Further down the page it's telling me 'Address Delivery' starts from €7.95?

Ok, so in relation to my example of buying from Adverts, postage would only be €3.95 in total.

no - you still have to pay the sender whatever their delivery costs are (hopefully zero as with a lot of things with Amazon etc)

What you pay to PM for bringing the package down from Bellfawst (or their Dublin depot) is 3.95

Be interesting to see what Brexit does to our relationships with PM and Amazon..

no - you still have to pay the sender whatever their delivery costs are (hopefully zero as with a lot of things with Amazon etc)

What you pay to PM for bringing the package down from Bellfawst (or their Irish depot) is 3.95

Be interesting to see what Brexit does to our relationships with PM and Amazon..
    Ok, I have you now. Thanks for clearing that part up. :)

Agreed, very interesting to see what happens post Brexit.

I must apologise for the Irish depot bit..

Of course Belfast and Dublin are both Irish depots..

:D I got what you meant though... their N.Ireland and Rep. Ireland depots.

BTW any idea on the delivery to an address rates I mentioned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

:D I got what you meant though... their N.Ireland and Rep. Ireland depots.

BTW any idea on the delivery to an address rates I mentioned?

You can find the rates on the website.

But you should also look at parcel Wizard, similar idea as parcel motel but they deliver to your selected address or Collection point (store, petrol station, etc)

• Advertisement

nava wrote: »
    You can find the rates on the website.

But you should also look at parcel Wizard, similar idea as parcel motel but they deliver to your selected address or Collection point (store, petrol station, etc)
    Thanks for the link but I think you maybe misinterpret my previous posts. I have already been on the rates section but puzzled by the following:

AF1QipMHaqxaCT9jvHq-gewAU7h8qkoMpVYKKFijDt8K

I will for sure look into parcel Wizard, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Peesh89

Hi guys,
    Partner got an email from parcel motel saying the parcel has been held for inspection by customs?
    20 mins later got an email saying the usual "parcel has arrived at HQ... allow 24 ours for parcel to be delivered" etc

Still hasn't received text/email with PIN or anything and was over 24hrs, would it still be with customs even though we got the "parcel has arrived at HQ" mail?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Thanks for the link but maybe you misinterpret my previous point...
    Parcel Motel Snapshot

I will for sure look into parcel Wizard, cheers!

That parcel delivery is when you get a parcel you can get it deliver to you at that price.

The sending parcel is when you send a parcel to Ireland or UK, you drop it to your selected locker and they deliver it at prices below below, for Small, Medium or Large.

Send from a Parcel Motel to an address in Ireland/Northern Ireland €6.50 €7.50 €8.50
    Send from a Parcel Motel to the UK* €14.50 €15.50 €16.50

nava wrote: »
    That parcel delivery is when you get a parcel you can get it deliver to you at that price.

The sending parcel is when you send a parcel to Ireland or UK, you drop it to your selected locker and they deliver it at prices below below, for Small, Medium or Large.

Send from a Parcel Motel to an address in Ireland/Northern Ireland €6.50 €7.50 €8.50
    Send from a Parcel Motel to the UK* €14.50 €15.50 €16.50
    Thanks nava.

Ok, so if for example amazon sends me something, I can get it delivered to an address for the "from €7.95" price on top of the Amazon postage (if any)?!

If I send to an address in Ireland/Northern Ireland I will pay €6.50-small locker, €7.50-medium locker, €8.50-large locker?!

If I buy from someone with a Parcel Motel account and I want it delivered to an address I will have to pay for A) seller postage of €6.50-small locker, €7.50-medium locker, €8.50-large locker along with B) the "from €7.95" price for address delivery?!

Apologies if I making this more confusing than it needs to be put I just want to get each scenario straight in my own head for future reference. :)

Thanks nava.

Ok, so if for example amazon sends me something, I can get it delivered to an address for the "from €7.95" price on top of the Amazon postage (if any)?!

If I send to an address in Ireland/Northern Ireland I will pay €6.50-small locker, €7.50-medium locker, €8.50-large locker?!

If I buy from someone with a Parcel Motel account and I want it delivered to an address I will have to pay for A) seller postage of €6.50-small locker, €7.50-medium locker, €8.50-large locker along with B) the "from €7.95" price for address delivery?!

Apologies if I making this more confusing than it needs to be put I just want to get each scenario straight in my own head for future reference. :)

You are making this way too complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

No. You pay 3.95€ to ParcelMotel to have it delivered to your local locker. You also pay whatever the seller charges to deliver to Northern Ireland, but you pay that directly to the seller. The other charges only apply if you send something to somebody else in Ireland or in the UK.

• Advertisement

You are making this way too complicated.

I think you're probably right! :D

Not the first time I've been guilty of this, it just seems to be in my nature. I like knowing the ins and outs of possible scenarios so I fully understand and don't have to ask again in future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭40now

Quick question about buying from Northern Ireland, I've seen a tv for sale and I want to buy it, its obviously going to be way to big to fit into a locker, even if I pay the €21 extra to get PM to deliver it to my house, at least that is what I think it is, it's still a great bargain so here is my question.......is buying a tv from Northern Ireland or the UK in general a good idea? like will it be safe in transit and not be smashed when it arrives.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

40now wrote: »
    Quick question about buying from Northern Ireland, I've seen a tv for sale and I want to buy it, its obviously going to be way to big to fit into a locker, even if I pay the €21 extra to get PM to deliver it to my house, at least that is what I think it is, it's still a great bargain so here is my question.......is buying a tv from Northern Ireland or the UK in general a good idea? like will it be safe in transit and not be smashed when it arrives.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Just make sure you get the extended liability cover. ParcelMotel will only cover you for up to €100 if something goes wrong, but you can up the cover if you buy something expensive.

http://www.parcelmotel.com/extend-liability/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

I went with Richer Sounds from Belfast - not always the cheapest, but:

1. Usually a 5/6 year warranty attached
    2. Shipping cost to ROI around €10, nominal compared to "dimensional oversize" for a large telly.
    3. A one stage direct ship - felt more accountable to me and avoided considering paying extra for > €100 standard PM compo cover
    4. I'd hit them up for a quote on here anyway, see if they'll match (more likely for NI I'd say).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Something to note if buying a TV from Northern Ireland - if it has an in-built Freeview tuner, this will be useless in the Republic of Ireland (unless you're in a border area and can pick up Freeview signals). You'll have to buy a seperate Saorview box to pick up Irish terrestrial DAB TV.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement