Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The display on my S6 has gone (a car ran over it yet the screen itself is still intact) and I'm being quoted over 200euro to get it repaired. Anyone know of a cheaper option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

greendom wrote: »
    The display on my S6 has gone (a car ran over it yet the screen itself is still intact) and I'm being quoted over 200euro to get it repaired. Anyone know of a cheaper option ?

i got quoted a similat price in nutgrove for a screen that is not broken but dead...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Any disaster stories after Nougat update?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Zipppy wrote: »
    Any disaster stories after Nougat update?

No disasters for me, an odd one is that I can't seem to delete photos taken since the update was done.

Says it's removing them from the cloud and then a little message saying "Failed to delete"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

My S6 has died... it won't charge, tried different chargers, different cables, tried a system restore and nothing works :eek::(

Looks like I may have to get the S8 when it's released!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

I'm using an s6edge plus, don't see any firmware updates for it at present.

I would assume it's getting updated to 7.0 too, anyone else in same boat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Vahevala wrote: »
    My S6 has died... it won't charge, tried different chargers, different cables, tried a system restore and nothing works :eek::(

Looks like I may have to get the S8 when it's released!

I wouldn't write it off just yet, could be something relatively simple like the internal battery or something?

Also, it should still be under warranty, I believe you get two years warranty with them, though an open to correction.

I wouldn't write it off just yet, could be something relatively simple like the internal battery or something?

Also, it should still be under warranty, I believe you get two years warranty with them, though an open to correction.

I have sent it off today for repair. Warranty is up in September so luckily it happened now than later lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Sonics2k wrote:
    No disasters for me, an odd one is that I can't seem to delete photos taken since the update was done.

I've been postponing update....might give it a go tonight....fingers crossed
    what new features will I see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

My home button is not as responsive since I updated to the latest Android version

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

threein99 wrote: »
    My home button is not as responsive since I updated to the latest Android version

Same. And my fingerprint scanner isn't working.

I'm also getting frequent error messages for Accuweather and the Google Home app, though neither seems to actually have stopped working, despite the message stating that it had...

I'm also getting frequent error messages for Accuweather and the Google Home app, though neither seems to actually have stopped working, despite the message stating that it had...

Same. And my fingerprint scanner isn't working.

The right half of my home button is really unresponsive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Has anyone bothered to root and stick a ROM on this phone? I was playing with a Moto G the other day that I had put Cyanogenmod on (or similar, can't remember, but it was more or less vanilla Android), and you'd miss the look/feel of vanilla android.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Has anyone on pay as you go with Vodafone got the software update yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

keano25 wrote: »
    Has anyone on pay as you go with Vodafone got the software update yet?

I havent got it with meteor yet anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

dulpit wrote: »
    Has anyone bothered to root and stick a ROM on this phone? I was playing with a Moto G the other day that I had put Cyanogenmod on (or similar, can't remember, but it was more or less vanilla Android), and you'd miss the look/feel of vanilla android.

Yes I installed this one without much research because it seems to be the most popular by far. I can't compare it to stock cause I never really used the phone with stock firmware. All I say is that it runs well, no bugs or anything. I'm sure a nougat version of this rom will be along in due course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

dulpit wrote: »

Yehh i have used loads of roms I am Currently settled on the griffin rom its based on note 7 firmware and has been running my phone perfect For past six months or so. I use The multi user a lot.

There is a aokp rom available now Based on Android 7 it looks pretty stick android you may like it Check it out on xda.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Still waiting for the BTU version to be released.
    https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G920F/BTU/

Only half of my home button is working since I upgraded to Nougat. Tried downgrading to Marshmallow and it wouldn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 19,901 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Has anyone else noticed a problem with the invisible Save and Cancel buttons when setting an alarm in the Nougat update to the S6 Edge?
    S6%20E%20Clock%20b_zpsbodp4vgg.jpg

• Advertisement

Sometimes it feels that the more OS updates that they bring out for Android, the more bugs that it creates :(

Updated to 7.0. Used it for a couple of days. A number of bugs I noticed and couldn't be bothered to figure out how to fix them. My device won't show the fully charged green indicator for example. Also I don't like look of the of the settings and notification panel. Had backed up my old system and reverted to that. Think I'll stay with Marshmallow for now.

learn_more wrote: »
    Updated to 7.0. Used it for a couple of days. A number of bugs I noticed and couldn't be bothered to figure out how to fix them. My device won't show the fully charged green indicator for example. Also I don't like look of the of the settings and notification panel. Had backed up my old system and reverted to that. Think I'll stay with Marshmallow for now.

How did you downgrade back to Marshmellow ?

Just as well the Nougat update isn't available to me (bought the phone with 3) lol

I got my S6 back from repair, replaced the charging port & LCD (didn't notice anything with the LCD but what do I know! :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Currently have an s6 on 6.0.1, unrooted. 21 months old.

Overnight fast charging stopped working after using it with a non-samsung cable (i've used many non-samsung cables in the past).

The official Samsung cable i'm using has 1 of the 5 pins missing but it still fast charges my mates s7. Have yet to test another adaptive fast charger on my phone yet.

In Battery settings, the fast cable charging is set to on.

I've cleared the cache and rebooted in recovery mode as recommended on another site. No Joy!

Any other tips to try and get fast charging working again?
    Currently at 10% charge and it's saying 5hrs+ to full charge.

threein99 wrote: »
    How did you downgrade back to Marshmellow ?

Too complex to explain but its starts here https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s6/orig-development/twrp-t3080940. Allows you to restore the phone as it was with apps and settings intact.
    Vahevala wrote: »
    Just as well the Nougat update isn't available to me (bought the phone with 3) lol

I got my S6 back from repair, replaced the charging port & LCD (didn't notice anything with the LCD but what do I know! :eek:)

Could it be that It wasn't the LCD but the LED, which is the white light that appears under the recent's and back buttons when you touch them. They are connected to the charging port.
    Currently have an s6 on 6.0.1, unrooted. 21 months old.

Overnight fast charging stopped working after using it with a non-samsung cable (i've used many non-samsung cables in the past).

The official Samsung cable i'm using has 1 of the 5 pins missing but it still fast charges my mates s7. Have yet to test another adaptive fast charger on my phone yet.

In Battery settings, the fast cable charging is set to on.

I've cleared the cache and rebooted in recovery mode as recommended on another site. No Joy!

Any other tips to try and get fast charging working again?
    Currently at 10% charge and it's saying 5hrs+ to full charge.

Does regular charing work? If not the charging port on the phone itself may have become faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

learn_more wrote: »
    Does regular charing work? If not the charging port on the phone itself may have become faulty.

Yeah regular charging does work.

I took mine and gf's s6 into samsung repair store at lunch.

charge pin in phone is bent on both of them. her phone is covered with warranty as it's otherwise spotless. dodgy lead that we've both been using for the bin now!

Mine was not covered by warranty as there is some rust. £60 was going to be the fee to fix it however the won't touch it as i bought the phone in australia.

Not sure what to so. Might use phone as a trade in to upgrade to s7 or s8. can't get charge pin replaced by 3rd party shop for £60 but fix of breaking screen apparently.

Would bent port mean the fast charging doesn't work?

Yeah regular charging does work.

I took mine and gf's s6 into samsung repair store at lunch.

charge pin in phone is bent on both of them. her phone is covered with warranty as it's otherwise spotless. dodgy lead that we've both been using for the bin now!

Mine was not covered by warranty as there is some rust. £60 was going to be the fee to fix it however the won't touch it as i bought the phone in australia.

Not sure what to so. Might use phone as a trade in to upgrade to s7 or s8. can't get charge pin replaced by 3rd party shop for £60 but fix of breaking screen apparently.

Would bent port mean the fast charging doesn't work?

I replaced my charge port myself. The port itself cost 9 euro on adverts. I didn't break the screen but I could see how it could happen. I would have though it would be safe enough for a mobile phone shop technician to do it. It would depend on the person of course and if they have experience of performing the replacement on the same phone. I think it's standard procedure to alert customers of the risks. The screen cost over 150 to replace so if they broke it it wouldn't be a good for either of you. Don't know what you should do really, if you really want the S7 then maybe a trade in is an option but you might not get too much for it since it's faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Anyone seen the update on the G920FXX firmware yet ?

Phone locked to work so have to wait for the OTA update

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

you can check for your version here https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G920F/btu/
    I'm still waiting for the unlocked BTU version - samsung uk said last month it had been delayed https://twitter.com/SamsungUK/status/836204740870537217

Advertisement