Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Cardboard + clones: - Apps and Games + Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Sisters and Chair in a room are decent horror vr experiences

VRidge Lets Virtual Reality Fans Play Oculus Rift And SteamVR Games Using Google Cardboard

I don't have supporting laptop specs to make this work. Anyone try it out?

There is another alternative that does the same called TrinusVR.

Again probably needs a powerful graphics card for it to work.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Was excited about this until I seen ya need Windows 8 or 10. I'm still running 7

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Google io should be very very interesting next week regarding VR + project tango plus hopefully the merger of both into a new standalone Google VR headset, I cannot wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Was deciding between upgrading my moto G to a HTC One m8 and an LG G3 all day, and VR has pushed me to go with the 5.5" Quad HD LG G3 screen, the same phone VRKommando uses in headset reviews actually,

So I've ordered it along with the BOBOVR Z3 VR headset and bluetooth controller from amazon.

Hopefully I'll be joining the VR party very soon.

Thanks for the links Corkie, makes for a great resource for new users to Mobile VR.

Looking forward to sharing my experiences.

Doge wrote: »
    Was deciding between upgrading my moto G to a HTC One m8 and an LG G3 all day, and VR has pushed me to go with the 5.5" Quad HD LG G3 screen, the same phone VRKommando uses in headset reviews actually,

So I've ordered it along with the BOBOVR Z3 VR headset and bluetooth controller from amazon.

Hopefully I'll be joining the VR party very soon.

Thanks for the links Corkie, makes for a great resource for new users to Mobile VR.

Looking forward to sharing my experiences.

Surprised you didn't wait for Google I/O and what they are going to announce for AndroidVR.

Let me know what you think of the phone, on the lookout for an upgrade from my Xperia Z1.

corkie wrote: »
    Surprised you didn't wait for Google I/O and what they are going to announce for AndroidVR.

Let me know what you think of the phone, on the lookout for an upgrade from my Xperia Z1.

I wasn't even aware of Google I/O or Project Tango until I read this thread after ordering tbh! :o

No standalone headset announced at Google I/O

Daydream - "A reference design for developing VR apps. Focusing on the end to end users" Specific phones will have "Daydream ready" hardware that will allow users to have the best VR experience.

VR Mode - Android N features that allow phones to know when they are "Daydream ready." Updating Google Play to allow users to integrate VR seamlessly. Including IMAX films and games. YouTube, Photos, Google Maps, and the play store will be VR compatible.

Daydream controller - Google VR headset controller that allows users to use VR app and control other devices like Google Home.

The controller shown looked as a cool way to control VR.

So the bobvr z3 arrived today and maybe I was expecting too much, but I'm a little bit underhwlemed to be honest.

After trying an Oculus Rift DK2 in the 4d cinema place in Cork City, theres no comparison really, even though my phones screen has less screen door effect.

I find that the screen on these phone headsets is too far away and you just dont feel like you're "there".

It could also be the limited field of view.

If i focus the lenses so that they are perfectly clear the "frame" becomes very small so I find its better to increase the focus a tiny bit so that its not completely blurry.

I guess its unfair to compare it to a rift but I thought it would be more immersive, and on the Cedar Point VR Roller Coaster i thought i would feel height sickness and vertigo like one gets on the rift, but there was nothing and im prone to height sickness, my legs feel like jelly.

The most immersive apps i tried so far were Artic Journey and Silent Home.
    I need to try Sinster Edge next.

The cmoar vr cinema demo was pretty cool also but Im not sure if i would buy the app as i cant see myself using the headset to watch movies.

I have a pointy nose also so i dont find the headset that comfortable on the bridge of it.

• Advertisement

@Doge Sorry to hear your not enjoying your VR experience.

Remember you got me and others to get this headset.

I have also found the headset a bit pinchy on the nose.

I have played a few 3D movies on it, plus GOT and Legends of Tomorrow on it.

Haven't tried the Rift, where is that place in cork?

How is the phone working for you, I will probably put off updating until a phone comes available with N and "Daydream" support.

Another app that has support for the controller in game mode is VR Fantasy.

I have only played it a small bit, but will re visit.

Edit: -
    As mention by Doge : - VR Silent Home

Couldn't find "Arctic Journey" on the store

Haven't tried the Rift, where is that place in cork?

Its a few doors up from TK Maxx, next to the Outdoor Adventure Store.
    Its 4 euro for literally a few minutes long demo, but its worth trying it once as its a crazy experience.

It literally tricks your brain into thinking you are there and in the amusement swing demo you feel all the almost all the sensations from the motion that your body experinces on a ride like that in real life its that convincing!

But be prepared for a much less sharp image than your phone, as its a Development Kit 2 Model and kinda blurry.

You can read more about my experience here, be sure to go for that swing demo!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98763389#post98763389
    How is the phone working for you, I will probably put off updating until a phone comes available with N and "Daydream" support.

Its a grand phone for €240, went for th 3GB RAM / 32GB Model, bought it from a 3rd party seller on amazon, and its a hong kong model hence why its so cheap but it was brand new.

The G3 does overheat though, a lot of the time you're restricted to 80 or 90% scren brightness depending on how much the processor is being is being used, it got quite hot during one particular VR app, Silent Home i think.
    The quad HD screen tends to hog the battery also, but standby time is decent.

There has been 2 more generations of the LG G phones, now upto the G5 so its 2 years old at this stage, id say hold off and wait for a better deal in the future, something that is guaranteed an N update.

Couldn't find "Arctic Journey" on the store

Its one of the demos in the Google Cardboard app, its the right most icon next to videos i think. :)

Doge wrote: »
    Its a few doors up from TK Maxx, next to the Outdoor Adventure Store.
    Its 4 euro for literally a few minutes long demo, but its worth trying it once as its a crazy experience.

Its one of the demos in the Google Cardboard app, its the right most icon next to videos i think. :)

Probably pay a visit the next time i am in town.

Think I already visit that demo in cardboard app, animals featured in it i think.

Probably pay a visit the next time i am in town.

Think I already visit that demo in cardboard app, animals featured in it i think.

Yep, thats the one! One other thing youll notice with th Rift is that the headtracking is much smoother too, it feels very natural where as on my phone it was a bit jerky. The higher framerate helps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'm really enjoying it. Got the Bobovr 4 with the headphones built in. Only gripe is the LG G3's speaker port is on the bottom so I have to stetch the connector around it. Go Show is another cinema app with a terrible file explorer but pretty sweet 3d and the ability to move seats and adjust the screen size. UI is pretty rough though. I'm hoping a good cinema app that lets you cast movies to it from the computer without having to navigate with my face comes along.

The fulldive app has some good sitting in a private screen with Snoop Dog and friends watching silly videos.

Showed my folks the cinema app and they were amazed. Couldn't believe it was the phone's screen!

Was going to link to "Go Show" app mentioned above, but I tried the free version and is buggy as hell. Also that app has not been updated since 15 June 2015.

Already bought cmoar, which is better app and still been developed.

One of the features of it is been able to open media in it from a file manager/BubbleUPnP without having to rely on the in app file managers.

Even the free video players linked in the OP have that feature.

Tried the fulldive app also, but didn't like it's UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I like Cmaor too but it sometimes crashes after I navigate through my LAN to my files on my NAS. I really wish it could give me a KODI/Netflix UI for picking movies/tv shows. Scrolling through a few hundred movies only for it to crash is painful. Or again let me have a desktop app that can sync up to my phone and start the movie. That said Go Show is even worse with no network support at all. I just like being able to move seats and change screen size so it looks massive :)

I will have another look at "Go Show" tomorrow.

Cmoar is suppose to have picking seats as feature in an upcoming update.

I was testing if I could cast to my phone(with BubbleUPnP running) from my laptop but it always opens in MX player even when I have another app set as default.

I still can use BubbleUPnP to browse my media on my laptop (from my phone) and open in cmoar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    I got a Dunnes VR headset to give VR a go. So far I've downloaded-
    11:57- horror
    chair in a room- horror
    expeditions
    fulldrive
    incell vr
    radial-g infinity (racing)
    roller coaster
    sea world
    sisters- horror
    star wars
    titans of space (meant to be v. good)
    voxel fly
    vrbike
    within
    haven't looked at most of them yet

Any others that people recommend?
    I don't mind paying if it's worth it for an app/game.
    Thanks,
    Pa.

Cross Thread reply!
    Right lads got myself a VR headset and hand controller.

Bit of an impulse buy from Groupon.

My question is now what?

Any apps or recommendations to show off what it can do?
    No idea mate.

Here is the link to it

https://www.groupon.ie/deals/virtual-reality-headset
    Forgive the ignorance corkie, but I'm on a s6 edge plus. As i said, impulse buy . I've three days to return it, what you think?

First of all these cardboard clones retail for about €20, so your not getting a bargain the site would lead you to believe.

Don't have high exceptions from a device that is mainly just a gimmick.

That device and phone doesn't support "Daydream" apps etc. Only limited phones support that at present.

If you can get value out of it is up to you, there is very limited good quality apps for "Cardboard". If your into watching 3D Movies (plus you know how to source them).

I have mine since April and Hardly use it anymore except to watch the odd 3D movie.

Regards
    John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

is there are any good apps thar involve 2 vr sets?

is there any decent car driving apps? ive tried a few but they are too hard?

is there any apps that involve 2 vr headsets?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Is the BoboVr 4 still the best headset for the money? And has anyone tried using any of the bluetooth controllers?

Advertisement