Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Cork981

Came back to meteor after 2 years with Vodafone.

While Vodafone is a good network the small data allowances and high cost just wasn't worth it.

Getting good speed and coverage with meteor so far.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1786874810

3G speeds aren't bad either.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1786879344

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭theluke79

Three 3 AYCE 20/€
    Muckalee Ballyfoyle
    B593S22 and 2xLTE antenna
    (the mast is down due to upgrade)
    4G PLUs is coming!

DOWN 5.32
    UP: 6.11

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ACLFC7

theluke79 wrote: »
    Three 3 AYCE 20/€
    Muckalee Ballyfoyle
    B593S22 and 2xLTE antenna
    (the mast is down due to upgrade)
    4G PLUs is coming!

DOWN 5.32
    UP: 6.11

I'm pretty sure the B593s-22 doesn't support 4G+

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Just got 60down and 40up with 3's 4G. That download is the fastest I've ever gotten for sure!

Expecting a 4G+ compatible device soon so I'm really curious what the speeds will be like with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

I had my quickest speeds with standard 4G over the past few days.

Fast Three uplink with Speedtest on the left (Ballybofey) and fast Meteor downlink with TestMy on the right (Donegal town).

5768130808.pnghqVHnzjZO.ViIlOKRNJ.png

The Three speed test was done with a Huawei B593s-22 router on the Three network in Ballybofey (no antenna attached). For curiosity, I went a bit further and did an FTP test (host in Ireland) to check that uplink...

4Dntfrk.png

FTP download test was nothing special.

SpUrBrb.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Back to *normal* again

5794960002.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Check out my Ookla Speedtest result. What's your speed? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2385160561

Castlebar, three on 4g+

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭blacksasha

Hi Guys just a question, if i run Speedtest.net i get anything from 26mb down to 33mb down, but when i am dowloading a Movie (2gb) througn a download manager or a direct download, my download speed is anything from 2,7mb to 4.7mb. Could any of you Guys enlighten me on this?.

The speed test shows the speed in Megabit, whereas a file download manager shows the speed in Megabytes. There are 8 bits in a byte, so you need to multiply the download manger's reported speed by 8 to get the figure in Megabit.

For your reported speeds, 2.7MB/s x 8 = 21.6Mbps and 4.7MB/s x 8 = 37.6Mbps.

You can also see your current total download and upload speed in Mbps (Megabit) by opening the Windows Task manager in Windows 8.1 / 10. Press Shift + Ctrl + ESC to open the task manager, go into the performance tab and click Ethernet or WiFi down the left depending on how you're connected. The graph will show your throughput over the past minute with the current figures at the bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭blacksasha

Editorsean. Many many thanks for clarifying that for me, well done.

Up until I tested the Three network in Donegal town a few months ago, I was lucky get a double digit test result.

The fastest downlink results I've had to date with either Speedtest or TestMy were just below 70Mbps on the Meteor network, until this afternoon.

qnditQKWr.Gm4QXp85V.png

I was travelling with someone at the time, so didn't get a chance to retest with the Speedtest.net App before losing line of sight with the cell tower. Then again, I didn't expect to ever hit 100Mbps on the Three network.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

2491794175.png

Not sure how to post a picture here so that it shows up,, but I just got 141Mb on 3 Network in Dublin. A measly 6Mb upload however!! Apologies if it's the wrong post for this, I'm not sure.

To get the test result URL, go into the Results section of the Speedtest App, touch the test result and then touch the share icon that looks like '<'. Touch the 'Keep' app and this will provide the URL. Type this URL in your PC web browser and you'll get a page showing the test result with an option to get an image URL.

If you don't see the Keep app as an option, you'll need to install the Keep app or select another text editor app if you have one installed.

NikoTopps wrote: »
    Not sure how to post a picture here so that it shows up,, but I just got 141Mb on 3 Network in Dublin. A measly 6Mb upload however!! Apologies if it's the wrong post for this, I'm not sure.

Thanks to editorsean for the help. Here's result picture of the speedtest.

2567833881.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Thanks to editorsean for the help. Here's result picture of the speedtest.

2567833881.png

Upload is pretty good though?
    Do you mind me asking where in Dublin that was?Also, was that on 4G+?

The highest I seem to get is about 35Mb, although I've got a burst to 60mb on one or two occasions.

Upload is pretty good though?
    Do you mind me asking where in Dublin that was?Also, was that on 4G+?

The highest I seem to get is about 35Mb, although I've got a burst to 60mb on one or two occasions.

The upload is a drop by usual standards,, it's been 35Mb+ at times. It was 4G+,yes, one OnePlus 3 with 3. It was near Heuston. I think GPS in my phone is not work so well because it say that it is 50 mile away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The upload is a drop by usual standards,, it's been 35Mb+ at times. It was 4G+,yes, one OnePlus 3 with 3. It was near Heuston. I think GPS in my phone is not work so well because it say that it is 50 mile away too.

LTE CA (4G+) has been known to cause lower upload figures.

The speedtest app only does 50mi increments (50,100,150..) so ignore that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Nice one, Oneplus seems like the real deal alright. I'm on the P8, but thinking of upgrading to the P9 for 4g+, and other bits and pieces.
    Thanks for that.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    LTE CA (4G+) has been known to cause lower upload figures.
    Is there reason for that? Or is it just something which happen? I am not complaining by no mean but it seem so strange that download is so fast but upload is tiny in comparison.
    The speedtest app only does 50mi increments (50,100,150..) so ignore that.

OK, thanks.

Is there reason for that? Or is it just something which happen? I am not complaining by no mean but it seem so strange that download is so fast but upload is tiny in comparison.

Not that I've discovered yet but its commonly reported.

Three's performance has gone downhill in my area in the evenings over the past few weeks. Daytime performance remains about the same with speeds up to 40Mbps until about 4pm. I don't know of anyone with a proper Three broadband SIM to check for evening time comparison.

The following gives an idea compared to my DSL connection - YouTube 'Stats for Nerds' - Speedtest.net (Dublin server) - TestMy.net (UK server)

Three (4G with AYCE SIM):

lAtuP9l.png6003937004.png3cgsd6QaY.png

Digiweb (5120kbps DSL link):

CJTTEJW.png6003945018.png83xIKRvoT.png

Notice the speed difference between what YouTube is reporting and what Ookla Speedtest measured. I tried various videos on YouTube over the Three connection and they all played similarly, switching between 240p and 360p, so Three seems to have YouTube traffic heavily throttled when compared to what's already a poor Speedtest.net result over 4G.

I forgot about Meteor yesterday evening, so reran the tests with it over 3G. The Three network is much the same as above at the moment from my end.

WER0PUr.png6006421044.pngcalTWw1Lp.png

There seems to be less contention this evening on Meteor here as normally it dips to around 6Mbps here in the evenings. Either way, it's 10 times better than what Three is giving me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Interesting traffic shaping this evening on the Three network ~9:40pm - Compare these images to my above post:

sJmSARW.png6061723554.pngFkZDLuSU8.png

Ive been seeing slow HTTP/S traffic over the last 24hrs, everything else normal.

It seems to detect some sort of pattern when a YouTube video starts to know whether it releases the bandwidth.

For example, the screenshot on the left is after I started a video and manually selected 1080p @ 60. When I break the TCP connection so YouTube has to reconnect, it then streams at ~500Kbps, even after leaving it a minutes.

WtOLND6.pngck7HmDN.png

Once I refresh the page to give it a fresh start again, the bandwidth is unleashed again.

As Google photos shows uploaded video clips in a YouTube style interface, the same traffic prioritisation seems to apply also when playing or downloading a video in Google Photos.

The following graph from the Windows Task manager shows the 10-fold speed difference between running a speedtest on Ookla using Three's own server (test result on the right) and downloading a video from Google photos, which ramped up to about 40Mbps (tests about 9pm):

hOCIzo3.png6066547228.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Just switched to the Vodafone X plan today, 4G Speeds in Galway City.
    QLcMBhB.png

Advertisement