Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Kodiaq?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Dozz

carsfan2 wrote: »
    The one thing I can never understand with these cars that are sold as 7 seaters is why do they not put 3 individual seats in the middle row or at least give this as an option instead of a bench? This car I would have thought would be wide enough to do this. I think the new Peugeot 5008 will have this which is great. The only other option is a people carrier which people increasingly don't want.
    Wide and all as the car feels it is not wide enough to accomodate 3 individual seats in the secong row.
    The model i looked at had isofix fittings on the front passenger seat but i imagine thats an extra

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Oh - don't get me started on that!
    I already have a mega thread going:
    Good *wide* family car

I've been looking for months for any cars with three proper seats in the back to replace our S-Max.

Although the Kodiaq has a bench I'm hoping it's wide enough to fit 3 comfortably in the back, unlike many other large cars. The new 5008 does look a better prospect though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

The days of MPVs are numbered and so buying such new might be risky business going forward. The MPVs' features will get amalgamated within the SUV concept and packaged as such.
    What Skoda is doing with the Kodiaq launch in Ireland is quite frankly shambolic. They did quite well on the build up but terribly ever since...

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭carsfan2

We had an s max before and replaced it when the kids were big enough not to need child seats as there is very little choice other than people carriers.
    I can't imagine that new Peugeot is going to be much wider than the skoda.
    I'm struggling to see the attraction of this skoda especially as I think the price will be high enough.
    Volkswagen have just shown the Tiguan all space which is a 7 seater and looks a lot better (at least to me).

We had an s max before and replaced it when the kids were big enough not to need child seats as there is very little choice other than people carriers.

You mean you got another S-Max?
    I'd be happy to do that too, but the new S-Max is expensive and I'm looking at alternatives.
    I can't imagine that new Peugeot is going to be much wider than the skoda.
    I'm struggling to see the attraction of this skoda especially as I think the price will be high enough.
    Volkswagen have just shown the Tiguan all space which is a 7 seater and looks a lot better (at least to me).

Pics of the 5008 show 3 individual seats in the back, so I'd say it will have more space.
    And isn't the 7-seat Tiguan just a stretched version of the current model? So won't be wide enough IMO. And if you think the price of the Kodiaq will be high, I would expect the 7-seat Tiguan to be even higher!

Skoda generally offers bigger cars and more kit for lower prices than equivalent VW models, so if they follow that pattern with the Kodiaq, it should be good value.

• Advertisement

The Kodiaq Roadshow:

See the new KODIAQ at your local ŠKODA Dealer

The email I got informing me of the schedule says "Before its highly anticipated launch in mid-March..."

Sorry to post again, but I realise now from that link that the Kodiaq model pages have been updated with more info:
    http://www.skoda.ie/models/kodiaq/pages/overview.aspx

I notice from the "Technology" section that the the 150ps 2.0TDI is only available as either a manual 4x4 or an auto-DSG. You can't get a manual 2WD, although that seems to be the case on the UK and Czech configurators too.

From seeing a few more pics, I've concluded why it doesn't look so good at times. Cosider the white examples - they look way less smart because of the large amount of black trim all around the bottom panels. The white stands out and makes the impression of a lot less car with an uninteresting profile. More like some of those jacked up "all road" estates.

But in the darker greys and black (try it in the 360deg visualizer) the lower panels blend in and the car has a much chunkier and attractive profile.
    Anyway I'll go look at it in the flesh tomorrow in Galway and hope it's a dark coloured one.

So I had a look at the LHD Kodiaq in Monaghans Galway.
    More misinformation BTW - the salesman said it was the only one in the country, but Skoda's own roadshow page clearly shows there are 4 of them according to the dealer schedule. And he had no clue still about when prices and specs are expected, despite what R.O.R reported last week. When I suggested to him about the Paddy's weekend launch, he said, "That's the first I've heard..." :rolleyes:

Anyway, it was a very high spec 4x4 DSG-auto with 19" wheels, leather seats and a few other things I know are likely optional on mid-range models (based on UK configurator). It looks good in the flesh and stands out - some of the photos make it appear less impressive, especially the lighter colours as I said yesterday. This one was silver and I think darker ones would look even more chunkier as they'll blend in the low level black trim. Styling is typical of other Skodas and some of the less daring VWs, so that's a matter of taste and it's down to everyone's own opinion. This car won't change that - but I personally think it's smart with clean lines.

Build quality inside is very good with lots of clever features typical of recent Skodas. Middle row leg room is not as much horizontally as a Superb, but it's still plenty and is helped in addition by the extra vertical space, which also means the transmission tunnel is less of an issue than the Superb's. 3rd row leg room is determined by the positioning of the sliding middle row, and is at least as much as in an S-Max.

The only real downer is that centre seat in the middle row bench. It really is a big compromise. I actually measured it to compare with the Superb. Overall the 3 seats (split 60/40) are 130cm wide in the Kodiaq and actually 2cm wider in the bench in the Superb! So I'd really need to sit my 3 kids in it (ages 12, 10, 7) to see if it's wide enough. Having tested a Superb last week, I was really hoping the Kodiaq would offer more space in the middle row... :(

And that's a possible deal breaker, as I'd definitely consider buying one if it offers a decent saving over a new S-Max. It looks from the pics of the forthcoming Peugeot 5008 with its 3 separate seats, that it might well trump the Kodiaq for space, and probably on design, style and flair too. We'll need to wait even longer for that though and to see how prices compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Gwynston wrote: »
    The only real downer is that centre seat in the middle row bench. It really is a big compromise. I actually measured it to compare with the Superb. Overall the 3 seats (split 60/40) are 130cm wide in the Kodiaq and actually 2cm wider in the bench in the Superb! So I'd really need to sit my 3 kids in it (ages 12, 10, 7) to see if it's wide enough. Having tested a Superb last week, I was really hoping the Kodiaq would offer more space in the middle row... :(

And that's a possible deal breaker, as I'd definitely consider buying one if it offers a decent saving over a new S-Max. It looks from the pics of the forthcoming Peugeot 5008 with its 3 separate seats, that it might well trump the Kodiaq for space, and probably on design, style and flair too. We'll need to wait even longer for that though and to see how prices compare.

It is funny that every dealer at the moment seems to be making the same mistake and putting in 2 and a 1/2 seats in there SUV's. I was excited about the Kodiaq and started this thread but after looking at the pics on Uk website and your review I will be leaving it where it is

I will continue to wait for the new model 5008 which looks to be the answer

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It is funny that every dealer at the moment seems to be making the same mistake and putting in 2 and a 1/2 seats in there SUV's. I was excited about the Kodiaq and started this thread but after looking at the pics on Uk website and your review I will be leaving it where it is

Yes, it's frustrating because the Kodiaq is big enough for 3 seats. Its exterior body is a good bit wider than the Superb, and the internal width across the front seats is also wider. But the Kodiaq is narrower across the back seats :confused:

Check out the dimension pics at the bottom of these pages:
    http://www.skoda.ie/models/kodiaq/pages/technology.aspx
    http://www.skoda.ie/models/new-superb-combi/technology/

And compare it to the current 5008 which has much smaller external dimensions, but the internal distance between the rear doors is 1cm wider than the Kodiaq! :eek: Not much, but they've still managed to fit 3 seats:
    http://www.peugeot.ie/range/find-your-vehicle/5008/technical-information.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,595 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I will continue to wait for the new model 5008 which looks to be the answer

I am in the exact same boat. Looking to change my verso and thought the Kodiaq would have 3 , or better than 2 and 1/2 in middle row. Deal breaker really. 5008 is looking nicer as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Quick google, might be wrong, Volvo xc90 1460 internal 2nd row, Skoda kodiaq 1510,can't be right from what you are saying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

sword1 wrote: »
    Quick google, might be wrong, Volvo xc90 1460 internal 2nd row, Skoda kodiaq 1510,can't be right from what you are saying

XC90s seats are actually really compact.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

For what its worth - Was in Laharts in Kilkenny today and was told price list would be available early Feb. LHD Kodiaq will be there next Weds and Thursday.

XC90s seats are actually really compact.
    Yeah - that's another very big car that can't fit 3 equal seats in the back... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Dozz wrote: »
    Went down to the Naas showroom and had a look. Its a high spec model and looks very good indeed. Lots of space inside and feels a bit wider than what I would be use to driving. Infotainment system looks and feels pretty slick too.
    The best bit was that i talked to 3 sales people and they all told me different stories.
    In relation to pricing 2 said to expect it at the end of the month the third said it will be out today at 530.
    2 guys said they cant even take deposits because of pricing but the third guy said they had 5 sold already.........
    I also got the impression that cash will be king before trade-is will be considered....
    Anyway lets see what the pricing is like come the end of the month or 530 this evening.....

Had the same experience in Sinotts Wicklow, 2 sales guys with completely different stories. One guy said the delay was due to Brexit and Skoda will be reducing prices. The other said when I read online it could start at 30k laughed and said probably starting about 37k

They really dont have a clue but what we do know is in the UK it starts at 21.5k the VW Tiguian in the UK starts 23.5k so the Kodiaq surely is going to start under 30k in Ireland for the 5 seat version :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Dozz

Is there any rough way to calculate the VRT at this stage if I was to look at buying one up the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Going to view this when it gets to Cork.
    I figure pricing will be on par with the Tiguan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Is there any rough way to calculate the VRT at this stage if I was to look at buying one up the north?

Just look up the CO2 rate for the engine for a very rough start. If it's a new car you're talking about you'll also have to add on VAT.

I reckon a 150 style would be around €42k here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

For some reason I was on YouTube and I looked at a LONG video on it - chatting to the designer etc.

It looks nice but iirc it's a Tiguan alternative not a Touareg. It looks nice but would I buy one?

Let me find the video.

Ok I heard about this car at weekend. Think it was radio and it mentioned it was going to be the Skoda version of the Touareg.

I have done a number of searchs but haven't seen anything to confirm or deny this. Has anyone seen much on these?

The Guvnor wrote: »
    For some reason I was on YouTube and I looked at a LONG video on it - chatting to the designer etc.

It looks nice but iirc it's a Tiguan alternative not a Touareg.

It was never said to be a Toureg alternative.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is there not a LWB Tiguan (at least in the USA)? Surely the Kodiaq is the Skoda version of this.

Except by the OP.:)
    vectra wrote: »
    It was never said to be a Toureg alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

sword1 wrote: »

Surprised at that alright. However, the xc90 has proper third row seats and a proper sized boot and is, overall, a much larger and more spacious car.

Is there not a LWB Tiguan (at least in the USA)? Surely the Kodiaq is the Skoda version of this.

No,
    One is coming.
    Late 17 early 18?
    Maybe R.O.R can shine some light on this?
    The Tiguan Allspace

Tiguan Allspace.

volkswagen-tiguan-lwb-spy-photos-05.jpg
    The Guvnor wrote: »
    Except by the OP.:)

Don't mind him. He is away with the fairies :D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No,
    One is coming.
    Late 17 early 18?
    Maybe R.O.R can shine some light on this?
    The Tiguan Allspace

Tiguan Allspace.

volkswagen-tiguan-lwb-spy-photos-05.jpg

I read it somewhere, but the Kodiaq is the LWB version.

Revue here.

Volkswagen has revealed that it will premiere the long wheel base version of the Tiguan at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit and that, in Europe anyway, it will be called the Tiguan Allspace.

The extended version of the Tiguan will be longer than the new Tiguan that premiered in Europe earlier this year and will seat up to seven people. Despite that, it should still be smaller than the new Atlas, which is the biggest VW ever offered in America, dontcha know.

Ko_048

For European readers, the Tiguan Allspace should be roughly the same size and shape as the Skodiaq. For American readers, it will a few inches shorter than the Ford Edge and a bit longer than the Kia Sorento.

Volkswagen has also announced that we North Americans will be the first to get the Tiguan LWB, followed by China, and then Europe.

:D:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

I had a look at one in Monaghans in Galway yesterday. Very impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Forgot to mention. Salesman mentioned to possibility of a 5 seat commercial Kodiaq like the Toureg because of the load space capacity, anyone else heard this?

Advertisement