Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 205: Alvarez v McGregor (Event Discussion) - FAQ's in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

McGregor via Decision
    Can anyone explain to me what Conors celebration was about? Looking at the right arm with the left imitating a phone? What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

McGregor via Decision
    that four punch combo at the end was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Can anyone explain to me what Conors celebration was about? Looking at the right arm with the left imitating a phone? What am I missing?

call it in? as in, it's done

or else I called it - as in a 2nd round knock out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Bit anticlimactic I have to say. I wanted to see a war like the Diaz fights. It was completely one sided, he looked like he was beating up one of the keyboard warriors from boards. Not sure where he goes from here. In other news myself and my father polished off the bulk of the goodies last night. Paying for it today. The back of the bowl has been peddle dashed fairly frequently. Worth every minute of it though! McGregor For Ever!!

I agree that a war would have been better entertainment but you can't call it a anti climax. McGregor just annihilated the world champion inside 2 rounds.
    After watching Khabib he will definitely give McGregor a run for his money. A record of 26-0. He's always bringing his opponents to the ground and just keeping them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Eatmore

Why don't more people kick Conor's leading leg? Seemed to be effective. Is it because they are open to a counter punch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Despite his cockiness, Conor is usually humble after the fights but that interview was embarrassing.

Despite his cockiness, Conor is usually humble after the fights but that interview was embarrassing.

I disagree. I thought that octagon interview was brilliant. I can see your point of view but think you should let him some lee way. He just achieved history. I bet he felt like a God.

He was very respectful toward Eddie in his interview with Megan Olivi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Alvarez via Submission
    He is a combat god.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,147 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

****ing super event from pretty much start to finish!

Woodley/Wonderboy is a fight of the year contender, McGregor did what was expected, though I did get my first round KO prediction wrong, disappointed I won't get to see cupcake in action any more but I doubt we have seen the last of her. A great fight between the Polish warrior women, Khabib on the pre lims dominating.

Loved every minute of it, don't think we will ever see a better card for excitement from start to finish.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Just watching the fight again, I think other fighters will have learned a bit from this fight. If Eddie had stuck to the leg kicks he would have given Conor more to think about.
    Not that the fight would have ended differently.

But if I was coming into a fight with Conor I'd be practicing leg kicks to keep him at distance

Also Eddie kept trying to slag Conor about having two coach's? I think Conors take down defense is ALOT better than people give him credit for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Eatmore wrote: »
    I disagree. I thought that octagon interview was brilliant. I can see your point of view but think you should let him some lee way. He just achieved history. I bet he felt like a God.

He was very respectful toward Eddie in his interview with Megan Olivi.

I dunno, I've been watching him for a while now and have heard him say some crazy things but that was the first time I actually cringed while listening to him. Don't get me wrong, I still like him and what he has achieved but I thought he could have handled that interview with Joe a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

McGregor via Decision
    Cyborg would eat the tail off misha

I'd say there's a long queue for that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Not sure if it's been up before but I noticed herb dean wasn't involved last night.. any particular reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,686 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Decision
    **** off Woodley and either give Maia a shot or rematch Wonderboy

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/797917814833090560

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

McGregor via Decision
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    **** off Woodley and either give Maia a shot or rematch Wonderboy

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/797917814833090560

I don't blame Woodley looking for the money fight but it's cringe. He orchestrated this beef from nothing just to link his name to conor. "What's up" I'll tell you what's up woody boy you and maia rolling around for 5 rounds.

Alvarez via Submission
    Shame he didnt get the W last night would give anything to see Maia on his back strangling him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

The Americans really think this lucky charm thing is an insult to the Irish don't they? Always makes me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

McGregor via Decision
    I don't mind Woodley but his whole thing about not respecting Thompson as a man was based on his view that Thompson went out of his way to engineer the fight.

And here he is, dropping in talk of a fight with McGregor at every opportunity.

Alvarez via Submission
    Card is on again now on BT Joanna fight on atm.

I dunno, I've been watching him for a while now and have heard him say some crazy things but that was the first time I actually cringed while listening to him. Don't get me wrong, I still like him and what he has achieved but I thought he could have handled that interview with Joe a bit better.

I guess we have different things that we cringe at then. I found the interview hilarious and brilliant showmanship (the crowd were super hyped with it) but I have found other stuff he has said to be completely cringe worthy.

To each their own!

• Advertisement

i think we can all say this and that about conor mcgregor because we have the luxury of objectivity, it's easy to judge that moment in real time from a sofa but foook me, can you honesty imagine how he felt, all the irish fans, the build up, the competitor, the location, the moment, the win.... and we're saying ah yeah cringe this and cringe dat.... I've seen lesser men walk away with bigger god complexes. fook whatever he said and how he said it post fight, park it to one side and give a countryman his dues, it was amazing and if you don't agree, at the risk of being banned, go to the I'm a celebrity thread!

P's I've watched the card 3 times today :) i'm hitting the whiskey.

i'm still teary eyed to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,200 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Decision
    Dave0301 wrote: »
    He made the mistake of trying to stand and trade with Conor and that was never going to end well for him. He admitted as much in his interviews after.
    That's where it went wrong, but it's not a mistake he made. He didn't consciously try and box with him, he was forced to after Conor stuffed his takedowns.
    And Woodley is awesome. I honestly don't get the hate that he receives, it baffles me. ****ing nice dude! However, as much as I like him he is very very beatable. My question is can any of the CURRENT welterweights beat him. Maia, I'm not sure. I would absolutely love to see that fight though. I would also like to see a rematch with Wonderboy.
    Given that Woodley didn't get a win last night, I think its fair to say that he is beatable by at least one current WW, Wonderboy.

eddie73 wrote: »
    Gotta say there was only one winner of the fight even before it started. Alverez couldnt wait to get into the ring and get it over with. Couldnt look at McGregor. Couldnt do anything. He was the very same as Aldo was before the fight
    Aldo does that before all his fights. Eddie may or may not, I'm not sure.
    But it's a big jump to say it played a factor.
    If he was in Conor's face, people would be saying it was too emotionally invested.
    Eatmore wrote: »
    Why don't more people kick Conor's leading leg? Seemed to be effective. Is it because they are open to a counter punch?
    He's a southpaw, which means they'd be throwing power legs kicks right into an easy check. Given McGregors reach advantage, and range control, they also be likely to come up slight short and catch their toes on his shin. An easy way to break your foot.
    ...he looked like he was beating up one of the keyboard warriors from boards.

102666.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

McGregor via KO/TKO
    fitzparker wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been up before but I noticed herb dean wasn't involved last night.. any particular reasons?

black lives matter

Alvarez via Submission
    Aldo's not happy

https://twitter.com/_EOW_/status/797941452147814400

• Registered Users Posts: 39,200 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Decision
    Corner Audio, credit to londonpups on reddit.

[Round 1]
    (after 1st knockdown)
    Kavanagh: patience conor.. patience!! get him to throw!!
    (when eddie tries to clinch)
    K: disengage!!
    Dillon: beautiful conor
    K: patience.. left to the body... (2nd knockdown) THERE YOU GO! beautiful!
    (conor has eddie on the ground)
    K: hips low conor! he's coming up on a single leg, be ready to sprawl!!! use your hips conor! control the leg to pass conor!!
    (when eddie is up)
    K: relax.. relax, left hook.
    K: teep!! disengage!!
    K: JAB HOOK! jab hook conor.
    (??): he's broken, conor.. broken. patience. left straight is there. left body kick! left straight!
    (10s left)
    K: get ready fellas! behind me!
    (Round 1 ends)

K: here you go... ice please. nice deep breath. beautiful conor. how'd you feel?
    Conor: (muffled) good
    K: great shots, keep the left hand on the counter. don't lean in - he's looking to counter with the big right hand yeah, so pop that jab, the teeps to the body are great. you're cutting him off. if you feel he's circling into the left high kick that's there too. okay? so let's keep that left hand for the counter. very nice, nice deep breaths. that's a warm-up round.
    (Big John comes over)
    BJ: great job, just make sure the fingers don't go to his eyes but great job

[Round 2]
    (first 20 s)
    Kavanagh: he's biting on the feints! you felt his shots already! they're nothing!
    K: nice.. (conor lands a straight left at about 30s) OOOOH take your time!!
    Dillon: conor he's broken! believe conor believe!!! you felt his best shots!!
    Someone Else: NOPE (i didn't understand this either..)
    (2nd minute)
    K: stay calm conor. jab is there. (conor lands a one two, eddie answers with the same) yes conor!
    (eddie clocks conor with a looping right)
    D: he's doing the same shot over and over!
    (conor knocks eddie down, they wrestle along the fence) Mixed Voices: TAKE YOUR TIME! here you go... positioning. keep that overhook. CHIN. positioning. that's it! (raise the? wrist to?) chin. elbows conor. keep that wrist. beautiful position. keep pulling that overhook, he can't shoot. very nice conor. humble now. have fun conor. great wrist control.
    Dillon: you've been there a million times conor. million times! he's broken conor, broken.
    (conor gets the KO).
    K: YES! YES! YES! TWO-time world champion.

Note: There are some mistakes in the above where the transcriber confused Owen and John
    I just pasted it as published, as I don't have the audio here to update

*tried to do eddie too, here are some Pre-Listening Notes:
    this was way harder because there was a girl/banshee screaming 'EDDDDIIIEEEEE' (or 'DADDDYYYYY') right from the get go.
    [edit: the human in question has been identified as eddie's wife. i apologize for calling her a banshee..]
    i'm not good with voices, so there are two main ones: a quieter man (Q) and a yeller (L). the yeller's words are all in CAPS.

[Round 1]
    (before the fight begins)
    Q: He's gotta have patience. He's gonna go right at him. He's gotta be careful.
    (fight begins, eddie lands his first leg kick)
    Q: Nice!
    Q: 73 on the knee!
    L: YEAH!
    Q: Move the head move the head! 73 on the knee! (this phrase is repeated) you're too much in front! 73 front too much! foot foot! that's it...
    Q:you're too much in front!!
    L: FOOT FOOT FOOT FOOT FOOT FOOT! 73! FOOT FOOT FOOT!! SEVENTY THRAAAAAY
    (eddie circles towards conor's left)
    Q: He's going the wrong way! The other way! 73 on the knee!! (eddie gets knocked down)
    Q: SEVENTY THRAAAAAAAAAY (73 shouted over and over)
    Someone: shout 73
    L: SEVENTY THREE EDDIE SEVENTY THREE
    (eddie shoots, mcG shrugs him off)
    Q: eddie chain! chin eddie chain!!
    L: CHAIN CHAIN CHAIN CHAIN CHAIN CHAIN!
    Q: chin down chin down!
    L: CHIN DOWN HANDS UP CHIN DOWN!
    (eddie trips)
    L: THAT'S NOT WORKING! HE'S GOTTA MAC IT!
    Q: stiff! stiff! mac!
    L: MAC MAC MAC MAC! MAAAC MAC!
    Q: eddie back eddie back!
    L: MAC MAC (eddie gets knocked down a second time, conor tries some g n p)
    L: EDDIE PUT HIM IN GUARD PUT HIM IN GUARD! USE THE CAGE USE THE CAGE! GET YOUR KNEES INSIDE! KNEES INSIDE! (eddie scrambles up)
    (eddie circles to conor’s left)
    L: THE OTHER WAY!!
    Q: Tell him 73.
    L: SEVENTY THREE!!
    Q: Eddie 73!! 73.
    (conor shrugs off eddie’s takedown and shoves him against the cage)
    Q: 73 eddie! 73 now!!!
    L: HE KEEPS GETTING COUNTERED… FOOT FOOT FOOT.
    Q: Eddie on the count of two! On the count of two!
    L: HE COULD CLINCH.
    Q: 73 now. Tell him 73.
    L: SEVENTY THREE!!! .. HE’S NOT GONNA DO IT. WE GOTTA CALL SOMETHING OUT. FOOT FOOT FOOT FOOT FOOT. (eddie trades with conor) NO…
    (eddie tries a right head kick)
    Q: eddie 73!
    L: HEADS UP! (eddie clocks conor with a right) FOLLOW UP WITH A SHOT!
    Q: Eddie blow eddie blow! Two-twenty six!!
    L: HANDS UP HANDS UP! 226 226! 73! 73!!! (banshee returns at this point)
    (Round 1 ends)

L: TAKE THE STOOL TAKE THE STOOL THE STOOL.. DO YOU WANT ICE
    Coach: I need you to stutter step before you go. Your speed is the same. Look at me son – I need you to get that shot on his punch. Make him punch and shoot. be ready to shoot. I want the head outside, (..) right hip and take his butt down. If you miss it, chain it.
    L: PUT HIM ON THE CAGE
    Coach: Listen. Look at me. I want you to think you’re gonna miss it, I want you to know you’re gonna miss it, then take the second shot.
    L: YOUR KICKS ARE WORKING GOOD TOO. YOUR KICKS ARE WORKING GOOD – LISTEN. YOU NEED TO MAC IT. HE’S THROWING HIS LEFT HAND OVER YOUR HAND YOU BETTER MAC IT.
    Someone Else: (softly) eddie eddie cung le..

[Round 2]
    Q: mac eddie mac! cam eddie cam!
    L: IT’S THE ONLY WAY HE THROWS. IF HE DOESN’T THROW HE DOESN’T COUNTER EDDIE.
    Q: 22 low.
    L: LOW 22 HARD! SUPER HARD!
    Q: Sprawl sprawl! Eddie 73 please eddie chain eddie chain (conor rocks eddie)
    Q: 22 22! Eddie do 26! 24! Eddie chain! Chain eddie chain!
    L: KEEP THROWING THAT TWENTY EDDIE TWENTY
    Q: twenty two… low twenty two super hard (conor places his hands behind back) !!! 73! Eddie (explode?? asspro 2??)
    L: EXPLODE 2 EXPLODE 2 EXPLODE 2
    Q: chest chest chest
    L: TWENTY TWO TWENTY TWO HARD!
    Q: Eddie 73!!
    L: THE CAGE! Eddie! C 73
    (eddie pushes conor against the cage and tries for a takedown)
    L: NICE! LOCK THE HANDS LOCK THE HANDS. BOUNCE EDDIE BOUNCE!
    Q: Bounce eddie bounce!
    L: HEAD POSITION HEAD POSITION! EDDIE WE GOTTA BUMP THE HEAD OUT!
    Q: Bounce eddie bounce!
    L: EDDIE GET THE HEAD OUTSIDE! HEAD OUTSIDE!!!
    Q: Head position!!
    L: EDDIE WORK THE HEAD OUTSIDE, HEAD OUTSIDE! FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!
    L: HE JUST CAN’T..
    Q: eddie move your feet!
    L: EDDIE YOU GOTTA MOVE YOUR FEET!
    Q: Don’t go outside again… low 73 eddie please listen low 73…
    (KO)

I think the obvious take away is how frantic Eddies corner was when that first takedown attempt was stuffed.
    They use codes to cue moves; 22, 73, mac and chain.
    Chain is obviously chain wrestle, as in to string a multiple takedowns together in series as Conor was stuffing the entry to the first.
    I think 22 is a single leg takedown, 73 could be another TD or a kick. But that's speculative and could be reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

McGregor via Decision
    Off the back of this, can we get Diaz v Alvarez PLEASE?

As for McGregor... he can do whatever the **** he wants. Hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Id say the interview with Joe was down to pure adrenaline and the fact he made history, he just said everything that came to mind.

Its like theres 3 different Conor personas leading up to and after fights;
    Trash talking Conor when the fight is made
    Mystic Mac in the build up
    Humble and respectful Conor shows up then when the fight is over when hes backstage doing interviews/pressers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Alvarez via Decision
    Just a small way to illustrate how McGregor is in the moment in comparison to his opponent. In the pat down/face vaseline stage before entering the octagon McGregor embraces his corner and goes casually through the pat down process(you have to admire the careful wiping of the feet, nobody rushes me!).

Alvarez turn and he walks in pumped up over to the pat down official and needs to be reminded to acknowledge his corner!. I always think its slightly chumpish to have to be reminded of that!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Decision
    Tinie wrote: »
    "Bruce Buffer was never my friend"
    Mellor wrote: »
    Ok, they fixed that
    Buffer you clown
    mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Wow, Buffer fcuked up. But a draw is fair I think, poor man looked like he was crapping himself!
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Buffer is done.
    Bruce just announced it wrong. Dumbass
    jcd5971 wrote: »
    Oh Bruce lol poor ****er
    gitzy16v wrote: »
    Right result but ffs a shambles on the biggest night in the ufc...no more Bruce get his bro Michael in
    Buffer cocked up the call of McGregor-Diaz 2. Mental.
    It's too late even for Bruce :P

I'm here to belatedly collect apologies for my man Bruce Buffer.

33xk7lv.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,012 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

McGregor via Decision
    4CGcz

I just love how looking back at it, just before that final winning combination - McGregor didn't even flinch at the Alvarez right hand. It just caught his nose, his positioning and subsequent unflinching at the Alvarez punch was judged to perfection just like the timing and precision of what he countered with.

Advertisement