Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Slow/dangerous driving.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Donutz wrote: »
    I'm neither a slow driver or a scary cat. I'd like to think I am a responsible driver though.

Are you clung to the arse of the person ahead of you doing 80% or less of the speed limit in ideal driving conditions? Not a very responsible driver if so.

Or are you leaving space for people who'd prefer to travel at normal speed to overtake you?

Do you just have a problem with people with sufficient power to effect a safe overtake?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Good viewing for anyone who thinks making progress is dangerous, all the videos on that channel are good if you have any interest in becoming a safer driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Most in here have little interest in being a safe driver, just interest in mud slinging at people who don't care for inconsiderate assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Good viewing for anyone who thinks making progress is dangerous, all the videos on that channel are good if you have any interest in becoming a safer driver

Turn down the volume on your device/computer before playing this!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I think people missing the point.

I never said I am flying 140km/h and of some "prick" doing 95km/h I get pissed off and over take them.

I drove to work 100km/h today and all traffic was moving well. No one is danger and you can stop crying "think of children" pc bull****.

Just because asshole doing 60-70km and ignoring build up behind and wasting everyone's time and making traffic jam, and I over taking him, does that make me an asshole too? If it does, grand, I am am asshole. Stay away from me. And you know what could you do to "stay away" from me? Driving at the speed limit, not under it!

If the point is 'people who think they know it all know fcuk all' then you and a lot of others on this thread are making it very well.

• Advertisement

If the point is 'people who think they know it all know fcuk all' then you and a lot of others on this thread are making it very well.

More dumb assumptions in that post. Someone overtaking a slow driver in a safe manner isn't dangerous. Quite the opposite. People refusing to overtake when it's safe to do so along with those who are causing the obstruction are the ones creating danger by making a backlog so that if there is an accident it will most likely end up being multi-vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The biggest problem is that after years of brainwashing that speed is dangerous many people don't understand that to be a competent driver you also have to consider other road users, and that means either driving at a speed that doesn't frustrate and annoy others or if you cannot drive at that speed then pulling in so that they can pass you and not be encumbered by your lack of speed.

Jayop wrote: »
    More dumb assumptions in that post. Someone overtaking a slow driver in a safe manner isn't dangerous. Quite the opposite. People refusing to overtake when it's safe to do so along with those who are causing the obstruction are the ones creating danger by making a backlog so that if there is an accident it will most likely end up being multi-vehicle.

So how do you get from safely overtaking to a multi vehicle collision? I'll tell you how. Due to the poor attitude of a minority of motorists that can't contend with the everyday drawbacks of motoring that occur every day of the week.

If you can't handle being held up by whatever may be on the road ahead, I don't care how good a driver you think you are, I'm not happy sharing the road with the likes of you.

If you can't handle being held up by whatever may be on the road ahead, I don't care how good a driver you think you are, I'm not happy sharing the road with the likes of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So how do you get from safely overtaking to a multi vehicle collision? I'll tell you how. Due to the poor attitude of a minority of motorists that can't contend with the everyday drawbacks of motoring that occur every day of the week.

I kind of find your username ironically fitting.

• Advertisement

I kind of find your username ironically fitting.

Should make it easier to remember what I said here the next time you start losing the rag on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think you have it wrong, in many cases a multi vehicle collision is caused by a poor driver panicking or emergency braking and due to insufficient following distance the cars behind the lead car telescope into a crash.
    Its not always the poor attitude of the person overtaking that's the problem.
    Having a car in front of me on a National road braking heavily in every corner and for oncoming traffic on straight stretches and then accelerating quite hard on other clear stretches tells me that the person driving that car is not that competent or observant.

Do you think I should slow down and keep myself in a position of danger behind that driver or should I perform an overtaking manoeuvre to put myself clear of that hazard?

Just to be clear I am not talking about tractors or other slow moving vehicles I am talking about other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I'm not happy sharing the road with the likes of you.

I would suggest you hand over your licence in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Whatever about oul' giffers driving like it's 1974, what really gets on my nerves is people deciding to drive "safely" by merging into 100 and even 120kph roads at 40mph. I'm sorry, but such people need to die.

Also, to the chap in the 161 Humungous Clitoris RXVTDCi BlueStreak on the South Ring at lunchtime today - take that thing away and set fire to it. Overtaking is much less like shaving your head with a cheesegrater when the car is fitted with an engine. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Someone overtaking a slow driver in a safe manner isn't dangerous...

Quite so. And the safest car to overtake in is a 400HP V8.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think you have it wrong, in many cases a multi vehicle collision is caused by a poor driver panicking or emergency braking and due to insufficient following distance the cars behind the lead car telescope into a crash.
    Its not always the poor attitude of the person overtaking that's the problem.
    Having a car in front of me on a National road braking heavily in every corner and for oncoming traffic on straight stretches and then accelerating quite hard on other clear stretches tells me that the person driving that car is not that competent or observant.

Do you think I should slow down and keep myself in a position of danger behind that driver or should I perform an overtaking manoeuvre to put myself clear of that hazard?

Just to be clear I am not talking about tractors or other slow moving vehicles I am talking about other cars.

You should overtake if safe to do so, or stay back out of harm's way if not. It's not rocket science lads, nobody likes being stuck behind someone who won't overtake the car in front of them, but them's the joys of motoring.

You should overtake if safe to do so, or stay back out of harm's way if not. It's not rocket science lads, nobody likes being stuck behind someone who won't overtake the car in front of them, but them's the joys of motoring.

Did I ever say differently before you decided I was some kind of maniac? I will overtake when it's safe and stay well back from the dopey old codgers who shouldn't be on the road driving slowly and erratically until I get the chance to do so.

That doesn't mean I don't think they should be taken off the road though. Once you get over the age of 70 you should have to do a shortened version of the driving test every two years to ensure your able to drive to a minimum standard.

My biggest peev on the road is easily tailgating followed closely by people overtaking in a dangerous manner. I can still complain about old flutes that are holding everyone else up because they can't drive properly any more.

Did I ever say differently before you decided I was some kind of maniac? I will overtake when it's safe and stay well back from the dopey old codgers who shouldn't be on the road driving slowly and erratically until I get the chance to do so.

That doesn't mean I don't think they should be taken off the road though. Once you get over the age of 70 you should have to do a shortened version of the driving test every two years to ensure your able to drive to a minimum standard.

My biggest peev on the road is easily tailgating followed closely by people overtaking in a dangerous manner. I can still complain about old flutes that are holding everyone else up because they can't drive properly any more.

As long as it doesn't affect your composure or your temperament you can give out about them all you want, but you'll all too often find that those with plenty to say about the driving standards of others would be well advised to focus a wee bit more on their own competence.

As long as it doesn't affect your composure or your temperament you can give out about them all you want, but you'll all too often find that those with plenty to say about the driving standards of others would be well advised to focus a wee bit more on their own competence.

Yet you with no negative information on me decided to accuse me of driving like a dangerous lunatic. You've made the same assumptions about others here.

I'm sure given your haste to rush to judgement your a picture of temperance behind the wheel. :rolleyes:

Oh the delicious irony.
    The graveyards are full of great drivers who know the roads and the limits of their vehicles and haven't time to be encumbered by other road users.

Plenty to say about other people's driving despite not knowing a thing about them. Clueless posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I honestly don't understand you at all. I think pretty much all of us who are against slow drivers and encourage overtaking saying the same thing which is default: overtake when it's safe.
    At this point I don't understand why you have your cherries in a twist and treating us like maniacs on the road.

I drove for 12 years, in Ireland 10++. I always had holy trio of tax, insurance and nct on all my cars. Never ever had driven uninsured car.
    I fix my cars when they break and not just when nct is up. I will come to my mechanic now and then just to do check up if something needs to be done and I just don't feel it yet.
    In all these years I have not had a single ticket or fine. Ever.
    The cars I owned in these years were in the range of temporary 70hp run around to 400hp skyline. I have a wide spectrum of different cars experience.
    And some how I am the scum of the earth to you, because I am not being part of "slow drivers" problem and expected to sit behind fecker doing 60-70 in 100 area and be part of dangerous traffic jam train.

At this point you are just trolling or you holding up to your on principals of stubbornness.

I honestly don't understand you at all. I think pretty much all of us who are against slow drivers and encourage overtaking saying the same thing which is default: overtake when it's safe.
    At this point I don't understand why you have your cherries in a twist and treating us like maniacs on the road.

I drove for 12 years, in Ireland 10++. I always had holy trio of tax, insurance and nct on all my cars. Never ever had driven uninsured car.
    I fix my cars when they break and not just when nct is up. I will come to my mechanic now and then just to do check up if something needs to be done and I just don't feel it yet.
    In all these years I have not had a single ticket or fine. Ever.
    The cars I owned in these years were in the range of temporary 70hp run around to 400hp skyline. I have a wide spectrum of different cars experience.
    And some how I am the scum of the earth to you, because I am not being part of "slow drivers" problem and expected to sit behind fecker doing 60-70 in 100 area and be part of dangerous traffic jam train.

At this point you are just trolling or you holding up to your on principals of stubbornness.

Same, driving in Ireland 12/13 years. Only once been involved in an accident that wasn't my fault, perfect no claims on my insurance, clean licence.

BUT I'M A MANIAC!

Yet you with no negative information on me decided to accuse me of driving like a dangerous lunatic. You've made the same assumptions about others here.

I'm sure given your haste to rush to judgement your a picture of temperance behind the wheel. :rolleyes:

Yeah, my only 'conclusion' is that their competence and attitude stink, going on what they've posted here. And it's not a hard conclusion to come to either.

Yeah, my only 'conclusion' is that their competence and attitude stink, going on what they've posted here. And it's not a hard conclusion to come to either.

By your own standards then you must come to the same conclusion about yourself.

By your own standards then you must come to the same conclusion about yourself.

I haven't claimed to be a great driver who sees the road as something littered with obstacles and hindrances that I must overcome to maintain my manly superior prowess.

I have only 25 years experience on the road, a lot of it covering 2-3000km a week, and I still have a lot to learn, as does everybody else.

I haven't claimed to be a great driver who sees the road as something littered with obstacles and hindrances that I must overcome to maintain my manly superior prowess.

I have only 25 years experience on the road, a lot of it covering 2-3000km a week, and I still have a lot to learn, as does everybody else.

You'd have got where you were going in 20 years if you had learned to overtake.

Nor has anyone else here that I've noticed. Perhaps you can point me to these strawman damning posts you must have read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭Allinall

Nor has anyone else here that I've noticed. Perhaps you can point me to these strawman damning posts you must have read.

Like the damaging post where you were called a MANIAC?

Allinall wrote: »
    Like the damaging post where you were called a MANIAC?

I was offended.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I work 10-12hours per day and on top of that 2 hours of driving. Needless to say I have very little social time. Me getting stuck extra 15minutes in road, because some asshole can't drive and have no respect to other road users is the difference between catching my misses still awake and at least have some chat with her before she passes out and finding her already a sleep and the next chance I will be able to speak with in person will be in 24 hours if I am lucky to find her not a sleep. I had weeks where the only form of interaction with a woman I live with is viber texting!
    So yeah, **** them, I already got limited time and i won't waste more time just because people are ignorant or crap at driving.
    You think you're the only one with wives and children? Cop on lad.

I pity the cars coming in the opposite direction when you encounter your next Tractor with a few cars behind it :(

Advertisement