Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Irish Soup Kitchens"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,921 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Irish Soup Kitchens is noticeable by its absence from the Charities Regulatory Authority listing, and the Revenue's list of authorised Resident Charities.
    * http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/authorised-charities-resident.html
    * https://www.charitiesregulatoryauthority.ie/Website/CRA/CRAweb.nsf/page/index-en

If the annual accounts for the past two years are on the charity regulator website, please provide a link to these or a Charity registration number, because a search for "Irish Soup Kitchens" returns no results.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Charitable wrote: »
    The airing Soup Kitchen Centers was set up in October 2013.Tge first soup kitchen was meant to open on 80 west street in Drogheda Co Louth but the charity found a better facility on dolans corner Sunday's gate drogheda co Louth they spent 110,000 euros renovating the building to health and safety standards they have fully fitted kitchen witch is serving 2300 hot meals per week to the needy. We also hand out 300 to 500 food parcels a week with are mobile delivery service. We in January this year took over two units number 19-20 ushers quay in Dublin witch we are presently renovating and we hope to provide approx 6500 hot meals per week and approx 1000 food hampers per week we are also looking at a venue in Co Meath at this present moment and hoping to sign up soon for any person that is doubt about the Irish soup kitchens please ask any of our volunteers for there licence there I.D and also the information letter stating what we have achieved since setting up in October 2013. Anyone who would like to check with the charity regulator will see for fact that our application was made in 2014
    The charity regulator was set up by our government to make sure that all funds received from the public are spent in a correct manner by the charity. Please also note that the Irish Soup Kitchen annual accounts for the past two years are on the charity regulator system and are fully certified by chartered accounts if any body requires any further information please ring PM

From my enquiries to the Charities Regulator they've only received your application in October 2015.....so why the disparity between what you say & they say please?

And any reason, using October 2015, why, 7 months on, no determination on your charitable status has been made please?

Serious alarm bells going off based on this thread & my enquiries & indeed your post.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I've seen these collecting at the GPO and a few other places, usually they are dodgy lookin youngfellas with a fold up table and bucket....easy to pick up and leg it when the gardai clock them!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

Interestingly the The Irish Soup Kitchen is a company limited by guarantee (THE IRISH SOUP KITCHEN CENTRES LIMITED). Their 2015 B1 and financial statements were filled and are now up online. They too look fairly dodgy.

Income for 2015 of €67.5k. None of which is through fundraising. €52k is from the "sale of promotional pens" and the balance is from rental income (despite owning no buildings)...

Main asset is fixtures and fittings of cost of €43k.

No mention anywhere of CHY or CRA status.

No stock at year end despite most of income coming from the sale of pens.

Creditors note referring to monies owing to relation of company secretary, but no related party note.

Lot of typos.

Overall, pretty p*ss poor set of accounts, but they have been audited (brave auditor to sign clean audit report)!!!

Needless to say, I'd be staying away from this shower and recommending other do the same. Unfortunately have seen quite a few people donate (I mean, purchase a promotional pen) around Dublin.

Edit: Just looking at you mans post above

"
    Charitable wrote: »
    The airing Soup Kitchen Centers was set up in October 2013.Tge first soup kitchen was meant to open on 80 west street in Drogheda Co Louth but the charity found a better facility on dolans corner Sunday's gate drogheda co Louth they spent 110,000 euros renovating the building

That does not look very likely from the figures in the accounts.

And a further bummer - no adoption of FRS102 which was mandetory. Accounts still prepared under "financial reporting standards of the financial reporting council".

I really hope someone with authority looks into them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

I really hope someone with authority looks into them....

I dropped a quick note to the charities regulator to say that this crowd may merit a closer look.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

Everyone should help this worthwhile charity and hand a collector a tin of Campbells.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Glencree

Here's a great game... Google the Irish soup kitchens..... Get name of founder.

Mark o Neill.... Easy

Now google mark o Neill stroke society Ireland.

That's that answered.. .
    Moral of the story, donate time to charities... Not money

On Capel St. few weeks ago at the Spar Irish Soup Kitchens were collecting so I took a few snaps; the lady in question had no issue with me doing so; slightly disinterested as can be seen by one of the photos of her browsing her phone....

(Love her hat mind!)

Giving up. Can't U/L said photos. If anyone can let me know & I'll e-mail them to you please. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 drogheda spy 17

Hi Guys stay away from this The Irish Soup Kitchen Centres Limited i have done my research about who's behind it i would definitely not trust this charity the people who run this charity they do have an interesting pass this information is very accurate i have a read for your self, share this with friends and family make sure they keep away from this charity

Registered Address

Dolans Corner,
    Sunday's Gate,
    Drogheda,
    Co. Louth

the Irish Soup Kitchen Centres Limited was set up on Tuesday the 15th of October

to find story's about the soup kitchen CEO Mark O'Neill

Just google Mark O'Neill charity you will find a report from rte news about when he was part of the the Irish Stroke Foundation

to find story's about the soup kitchen director James Fitzgerald Former Superintendent Garda

Just google James Fitzgerald Former Superintendent Garda you find plenty of information

I dropped an email to the charities regulator to air the concerns about this very questionable-looking "charity" around 2 weeks ago, but still haven't had even an acknowledgement from them. :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Perhaps when they (the regulators) are out from under the cosh they might get around to checking out the Soup's credentials. Charities are a bit of a hot topic at the moment. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I wouldn't have thought this would be anything to do with the Charities Regulator. The Charities Regulator regulates charities. I don't see anything in its remit about investigating bodies which present as charities but aren't. Is this something they actually do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Has anyone tried calling DCC about about them collecting? Surely if they are 'selling pens' they need at least a hawkers license, which requires paper work and not available for all streets in Dublin? I cant imagine DCC being too happy if I decided to have a "bake sale" or 'sell pens' on Nassau St one day.

One thing no one has raised is despite selling €52,000 worth of "pens", they have probably collected multiplies of that. They are collecting cash which has zero paper trail. I imagine with their locations and one of stands, they are easily in the mid six figures

The fact is your local Doctor is probably more likely to be audited from Revenue than your local charity. Charities just arent regulated. I read once that the best way to evade taxes in Ireland is a 'charity'. They arent properly audited or regulated and are a free for all.

Need to U/L photos re Irish Soup Kitchens from a recent collection on Capel St. Bit of a Tech Luddite so would appreciate a quick how to please folks? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I got chatting to a collector for Irish Soup Kitchens today (usual story, fold-up table and clipboard) and asked him was he being paid for collecting (as I've noticed himself and his colleagues around Dublin wear vests saying "Volunteer"). He insisted he was an unpaid volunteer which, frankly, I find very hard to believe having talked to him. Same with the other collectors, they just don't fit the profile, going by my experience.

I only asked him because I have really strong opinions on this subject- as someone who has actually collected for charity a lot as a volunteer it'd really wind me up if I found out someone was calling themselves one dishonestly. I'd like to think people would be more likely to donate to someone they know isn't getting paid.

There's something about this lot...they seem as bent as a three-bob note

JayRoc wrote: »
    He insisted he was an unpaid volunteer which, frankly, I find very hard to believe having talked to him. Same with the other collectors, they just don't fit the profile, going by my experience.

Yep, I'd have to say the same - a lot of their collectors who I see seem to fit more into the profile of folks who work casual, short-term, cash-in-hand jobs here. Quite a few young Brazilians out collecting for them (not that I can't imagine a Brazilian volunteering for charity, just that they tend to work casual jobs in Dublin).

I'd say this outfit has a lot of questions to answer, and if the right journalist takes a look into them I'd say there's a story in there somewhere.

Anyway of U/L'ing images from Desktop? Have a few interesting ones from a collector on Capel St. a few weeks ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Anyway of U/L'ing images from Desktop? Have a few interesting ones from a collector on Capel St. a few weeks ago....

Under the reply box you'll see 'Manage Attachments'. You can upload images from there.

blue_blue wrote: »
    Under the reply box you'll see 'Manage Attachments'. You can upload images from there.

Thanks. Tried it. 11 Photos to U/L. Tried but not one U/L'ed. Do I have to post all 11 1 by 1 & create 11 Posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

Thanks. Tried it. 11 Photos to U/L. Tried but not one U/L'ed. Do I have to post all 11 1 by 1 & create 11 Posts?

Easier solution. Go to http://imgur.com/ Drop your images onto that page, it'll automatically upload them and create an image post. Just copy the URL in the browser window.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I spotted a sign on a retail unit in Dublin 'Irish Soup Kitchen' coming soon.

Unit on the South Quays heading towards Heuston.

blue_blue wrote: »
    Easier solution. Go to http://imgur.com/ Drop your images onto that page, it'll automatically upload them and create an image post. Just copy the URL in the browser window.

Thanks. Here's the photos I took few weeks ago on Capel St.

Still no Chy No. but it is Irish Soup Kitchens Ltd.

http://imgur.com/a/SqwGw

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

YNrk9pW.jpg

nRPW5pL.jpg

KVsQ6yh.jpg

RudcnZQ.jpg

SMLtiRU.jpg

FAlU9k9.jpg

Is that figure 11 million?
    DgjQOfn.jpg

gqljZ8K.jpg

kqJZy3S.jpg

bP8PS6b.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ardfinnan House seems to be chockablock with dissolved companies.

Still no official notice that it's a charity, just that they have permission to sell their pens.
    Dodgy all round.

Is that Comic Sans on the Garda letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

A chief superintendent using comic sans is very very odd. Considering the letter header is a totally different font

F*cking hell, they're big pictures. :D

A chief superintendent using comic sans is very very odd. Considering the letter header is a totally different font

It looks like it was an email he printed off and had stamped by someone in the superintendents office?

€11, 200, 000 is the figure alright. Do we put it down to bravado or a typo or a chancer......another C****e job?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

€11, 200, 000 is the figure alright. Do we put it down to bravado or a typo or a chancer......another C****e job?

Considering their TOTAL turnover, since the company was incorporated, was €115,032 (€67,546 in year ended 31/12/15 and €47,486 in 13 month period since incorporation) I would love to know how they have funded giving away so much food....

The fact that they have gone to so much trouble to manipulate the rules (assuming their documentation is correct) in such a way which allows them to avoid getting any permit for fundraising, it extremely worrying. Which person that gives them their change realises they are buying a pen?

And what is this lottery business? Never saw that before and there is no mention of that in their Financial Statements anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭beanhead

Bought a ticket 15 mins ago from a door to door in Greystones and was curious, the 'volunteer' seemed to be maybe early 20s, possibly phillipino. Was wearing a ID lanyard around his neck and had some I guess questionable documentation. There was a woman's name on the licence the surname was O'Neil

The convo was about setting up a kitchen near BTs in town. I entered this raffle

Advertisement