Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night

Options
  • 05-09-2012 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭

Time for me to start a log to motivate myself, keep a track of my training and also to set some goals both short term and long term. I'm not very good at sticking to plans so I figure if I'm writing it down I might stand a chance.

About me:

Mid 30's - been back running (stop/start due to injuries) three years and still on a steep learning curve. I picked up an injury a few weeks ago while training for the 10 mile so pulled out of the Frank Duffy and Half- Marathon so need a different approach so as not to have this year go down the pan.

Have hopefully sorted out some of injury issues by getting gait analysis done and now being in proper runners. But need to work more on stretching and core strength.

PBs:
    5k 20:11 (Racepix 2011)
    5m 34:05 (race series 2012)
    10k 41:26 (race series 2012)
    10m 76:05 (training 2012 - it does count doesn't it!!)
    Half Marathon 1:40:02 (race series 2010)

Short term goals (to end 2012)
    5k Sub 20 – no race targeted yet but looking at some time in October/Very early November

10k Sub 40– provisionally targeting the 13th October to take on this one.

2013 targets:
    5k – sub 19
    5m – sub 32
    10k – sub 39
    10m – sub 65
    Half marathon – sub 90

Training Plan:
    Going to follow Hal Higdon 10k intermediate programme.

Any advice etc, etc greatly appreciated on the way

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

First Run over -

3miles in 24:35.. First run in two weeks and first in new runners with insoles. Was wary going out but felt good (done lots of stretching too) and no pain so all good.

Now to read up on core strength exercises and sensible eating..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck Tom, similiar enough goals myself for next year. Be following your progress with interest.

3.5 miles - 30:04... although I reserve the right to edit this later :D Reckon my nike+ was acting the mick and it was closer to 4 miles. Have only moved the nike+ onto new runners so could need recalibration.

Run felt good - loads of stretching before and after and no pain or injuries so happy days..

5 mile in 41:15 - comfortable run until mile 4 when instep started hurting. Bad idea to go out without my new insoles :(... Getting stabbing pains in my instep on and off today so hope no damage done.. might need a visit to the physio before long..

Back on Track!

3 Mile - 24:21 (Pace 8:07) - Tough morning for a run - dark, rain blowing into my face and it was a Monday but spent most of yesterday evening icing my foot and it done the trick:).

Felt good this morning and no pain in the foot so hopefully ice and proper support are doing the trick... Really needed a good run this morning as was starting to feel fed up with carrying injuries so am feeling motivated and back on track today..

• Advertisement

Tueday - Done my 60 mins crossing training by playing 5 a side football.

This morning: 4 miles in 33:10 so 8:17 pace - happy enought with that.

Few aches and pains but just putting that down to getting used to new runners and insoles.

Am wary of the interval training - Plan calls for 8 X 400 intervals for tomorrow - will have to play it by ear..

6 X 400 intervals
    Lap 1 1:15
    Lap 2 1:16
    Lap 3 1:18
    Lap 4 1:21
    Lap 5 1:22
    Lap 6 1:22

Had intended to do 8 x 400 but ran out of light - someone had been in to cut the grass on the pitch and moved all the small goals onto the track so was afraid of lamping myself on a goal post when it got dark. :(

On the plus side, felt great and was running comfortably even if first three laps were way too quick. No pain or aches so insoles are bedding in nicely..

6 mile 48:15 so 8:03 - Really enjoyed this - actually too much so as was a bit too fast for a LSR but feeling good.. :)

3 Mile in 22:55 (7:41 pace) - bit quick tonight but felt good so happy to push on a bit..

Cracking morning to go for a run - first proper autumn morning :)

5 mile in 39:49 (Pace 7:56) happy with that and felt good all the way around.

Total mileage Sept so far: 36.5 mile

• Advertisement

3 mile run - 23:30 (7:50 pace)

Good enjoyable run - bitter cold though

Sept total 39.5 miles.

First time doing a tempo run this morning - think it went ok but then again i could be doing it arseways. Had a half an hour so broke it down into slow first, quick middle, and slow recovery finishing 10 minutes.

Worked out at:

10mins - 1.24 miles (roughly 8 min pace)
    10mins - 1.45 miles ( 6:54 pace)
    10mins - 1.31 miles ( 7:38 pace)

probably need to be going quicker for middle section but not bad for first attempt at tempo:)

A day behind schedule done my LSR this morning as was feeling sore and lazy yesterday.

Anyhows.. 6miles in 49:00 exactly (8:10 pace) checked watch at 3 mile and was 24:30 so fairly even pace - enjoyed the run and it even stayed dry.. Just have to make up the day - was in the plan to do 3 mile today - might do that this evening if I feel ok to get back on schedule..

Sept total: 49.5miles

Still trying to catch up on day behind esp when I went back to bed after looking out the window at the monsoon coming down this morning..:(

Still went out this evening for 3 mile run - really tough into a headwin and rain driving at me - slow pace of 8:30 but not bothered on such a crap night.

Will have to get out in morning for 5.5 mile run now!!

Sept 52.5miles

5.5 mile run in 49:10 (8:01 pace) - cracking evening for running.

Calf felt tight and sore from about 4 mile mark so will have to keep an eye on it..

Sept total: 58 mile

4.06 mile in 32:10 (7:56 pace) - good run and no niggles :)

All the over the place this weekend - couldn't get out yesterday so decided I would make up the intervals early next week and get the long run in this morning. Didn't leave the house till close to 8 am and after two miles was starving. Left my ipod at home because of the rain so pace was all over the place too.. got to 3.5 mile in 27 mins - way too fast, turned around and was running into a gale with driving rain. Made a conscious effort to slow down but finished the 7 mile in 53:45. Was like a drowned rat but at least I got out and there was no niggles even with the fast pace.

Sept total: 69 miles - doesn't seem like much esp compared to some of the miles people here put in but am happy with it and feel like I am getting somewhere.

Have 3 weeks before Clane 10km where I will have a stab at a sub 40..

3 miles 22:05 (7:21 pace) - bit quicker than planned this evening but lovely night and felt good so threw in a couple of strides..

5.55 mile run in 43:52 (pace 7:54)

4 mile in 30:05 (7:31 pace) - happy enough with run tonight picked a nice flat course and picked up the pace as the wind was at my back and it was a manky night out.

Oct to date: 12.55 miles

• Advertisement

8 * 400m (all between 1:18 and 1:25)

Done 1 * 400m cool down between each

So 4 mile in total :)

Oct to date: 16:55

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Runonewon

Good consistent running Tom,you should be in good shape for Clane,Keep it up.

Went out this evening for my LSR - this morning was a rare lie in opportunity so took it with both hands :D

8 mile - 64mins so (8:00 flat)

24:55 Oct to date and best week's training yet!!

6 mile in 47:54 (7:59 pace) - bit of a struggle this morning due to tiredness but happy to get out and do the session. Missed my 3 mile recovery on Monday as I was down with a stomach bug. Done 60 mins cross-training on Tuesday.

What an arse of a week - got a second stomach bug (or maybe just a relapse of the first one!!) :mad:

Anyway missed my planned session on Thursday. Attempted intervals on Friday but got sick after finishing 1st 400metres so crawled back to the car...

Got out yesterday for 4 mile @ 7.50 pace
    This evening 7 mile @ 8:02 pace (56:16)

Hopefully won't pay for crap week in Clane on Sunday...

OCT to date: 41.55miles

Tuesday- 60 mins cross training..

This morning 3 miles @ 7.50 pace..

Have registered for 10k on Sunday so no going back now - getting a bit nervous at this stage - hopefully I have done enough to break 40mins:)

Friday 3 mile @ 7.30 pace

All set now for 10k tomorrow:)

Race Day

Well it finally came around and wow did it all go arseways fairly much straight away..

Excuse 1 - I've never run at this time before and while I had my usual hearty healthy breakfast - it was in retrospect at 7.30 am owing to an over exuberrant toddler - only had brown bread, bag of sweets and banana's between breakfast and race... really bad move..

Excuse 2 - Bad positioning - spent 1st Km working my way through the field, then when I had settled in to a proper pace i realised that it was just myself and 2 other lads chasing the main leading pack. The other two guys dropped off fairly quickly and was left running on my own for 5.5kms around twisty roads where i had no idea whether I was gaining or dropping backk further - stop watch stopped at 25mins (didn't realise it till I got to the 7km mark) At 7km mark started getting stomach cramps and seriously considered quitting but kept going. Eventually caught up to two runners from the main group after the 8km mark and tagged on to them till the finish line not caring about time anymore - finishing was the only objective.

Didn't even bother looking at the time I was so disgusted with myself - my wife informed me I was well under 42mins but thats all she knew:mad:

Licked my wounds for a while and then gorged on the lovely goodies in the parish centre and drove home. Checked the times on the internet (up impressively quick too) - 41:06 - not within an asses roar of breaking 40 but on the upside is a new PB by 20 seconds so will take that:)

First time I have had a bad day running a race but will take the positives out of the day, learn a few lessons and it will stand to me.

Will have a crack at a sub 20 5k which I know is in me before the end of the year..

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Best of luck, will follow your progress with interest...

• Advertisement

First day back out since 10k race - have decided to start on 5km Hal higdion intermediate plan to take out sub 20 before the end of the year. Have no race in mind yet but will play that one by ear.

Have come to the conclusion that my struggles with a sub 40 10k come down to two things - not enough interval/tempo training and not enough mileage so am going to focus on those two things between now and the end of the year.

Anyhow 3 mile today in 21:46 so 7:15 pace.. nice to be back and running :)

Advertisement