Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something to aid in recovery?

Options
  • 20-08-2014 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

Hi this is my first time posting here, I was hoping someone can recommend a supplement to help me with recovery.

I was 150kg around Xmas time so I upped the exercise(Weights and cardio) and now im down to 113kg.

The thing is my body is ALWAYS tired.
    Generally do 4 days a week in the gym usually 2days on 1day off then 2 days again then 2 days off.
    Someone at the gym said I should try some supplements, maybe something with amino acids in it before I start to work out and a shake for recovery. But I am cluless with all that stuff so I was hoping someone could recommend something either from the above mentioned or something different.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Hi this is my first time posting here, I was hoping someone can recommend a supplement to help me with recovery.

I was 150kg around Xmas time so I upped the exercise(Weights and cardio) and now im down to 113kg.

The thing is my body is ALWAYS tired.
    Generally do 4 days a week in the gym usually 2days on 1day off then 2 days again then 2 days off.
    Someone at the gym said I should try some supplements, maybe something with amino acids in it before I start to work out and a shake for recovery. But I am cluless with all that stuff so I was hoping someone could recommend something either from the above mentioned or something different.
    Thanks in advance.

Well done on massive weight loss.

Are you sleeping well, drinking enough water, resting well in general?

Have you adequate essential fats, protein and micro nutrients in your diet? Enough salt?

People report that protein and carbs after training works well. I generally have a large fruit salad with greek yoghurt and various seeds. Whey is a quick easy way of getting protein in.

You have to eat well to exercise well.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

ford2600 wrote: »
    Well done on massive weight loss.

Are you sleeping well, drinking enough water, resting well in general?

Have you adequate essential fats, protein and micro nutrients in your diet? Enough salt?

People report that protein and carbs after training works well. I generally have a large fruit salad with greek yoghurt and various seeds. Whey is a quick easy way of getting protein in.

You have to eat well to exercise well.

Thank you.
    Sleeping well not so much have a 2 year old and dont get a lot of sleep I generally get 6half hours sleep a night, tried napping just never been a napper..
    I eat quite well eat about 1900 calories a day and 95% of that is really healthy. Dont know what macro nutrients are.
    There are so many of them whey powders that I don't know what to pick?
    Drink plenty of water now well over 2litres a day.
    I do try to get as much rest as I can

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Food and sleep works. In the absence of lots of food or lots of rest (which seems to be your deal given huge weight loss and toddler) you are always going to be tired. Any supplement or powder is going to have a minimal effect unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,104 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

37 kilos in 30ish weeks is pretty good doing. Good work and you should be applauded.
    But it also equates to a large deficit over a long period of time, im not surprised that you are tired. I would have predicted that you were eating around that amount based on the fact that you must be running a 1000+ cal deficit.

You have a few options.
    Keep going like you are. As you get lighter the deficit will decrease making it easier.
    Eat a bit more on workout days. Say 2200 on your 4 gym days. This is fine.
    Eat a bit more at the weekend. Take 1 day were to eat a normal amount of food, say 2800-3000 cals. Still eat well, don't resort to junk. The goal is to load up on energy.

Mu preference would be for option 3, but do what ever appeals to you personally.

Advertisement