Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Strava A/R Club

Options
  • 07-02-2013 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

I see over on the cycling forum they have a Strava club that looks pretty successful with nearly 300 members! :eek:

Do many people here use strava to upload their data? Do you find it useful. Advantages/Disadvantages compared to Garmin Connect?

I have been using it the last 7/8 months and i find it pretty useful. You get to see who runs routes similar to yourself while getting a bit of competitivness going with complete strangers (bit like here! :P) and keeps me a bit motivated on the training runs.

Would there be any interest in setting up a Boards.ie A/R club?

Wouldn't have to reveal usernames or anything but would be nice to see the boards members activity in one location for those who us it.

I'd set it up myself only I want to make sure first I won't be the only member! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

two members now lol:)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Aye i use it would be happy to be in a boards club too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i'm in the cycling boards strave group as i *gasp* do both:)

i'd be on for the running as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Great. Looks like we have approval so! I'll get it up later today and post a link here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I put up various runs on Strava, mostly when I'm running a race or in some other unusual location with loads of hills. Wouldn't put up all runs though as most of them are boring and would be worth the bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

somewhere else to log and track runs and stuff, maybe this could take over from the somewhat pointless daily mile which I also put stuff on :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Does anyone else find that their runs tend to get classed by Strava as rides and you have to manually change them most of the time? I'm sure I set it to have my default as being "run", but it rarely seems to do that despite everything regarding the Gamin being set correctly as "run".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

robinph wrote: »
    Does anyone else find that their runs tend to get classed by Strava as rides and you have to manually change them most of the time? I'm sure I set it to have my default as being "run", but it rarely seems to do that despite everything regarding the Gamin being set correctly as "run".
    Sometimes it automatically picks it up as a run. I think anything under 5k it clocks as a run, anything else as a ride. It's a tad annoying alright.

Boards AC strava club now set up.

May the battle of the segments begin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

blockic wrote: »

Mo Farah has even joined but gone under a pseudonym :)

• Advertisement

rom wrote: »
    Mo Farah has even joined but gone under a pseudonym :)

He sometimes like to shy away from doing the MoBot all the time and runs in disguise as a 6'2 skinny white guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

blockic wrote: »

Thanks for that, only getting around to playing with strava now. Like robinph can't see myself logging every run but I've setup a couple of segments for Marlay park that might be of interest to other users of the park. Would be good to have a competitive leaderboard over these segments
    1k Loop
    http://app.strava.com/segments/3843191

and 1 mile loop
    http://app.strava.com/segments/3844832

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Guys I only use Strava to keep track of my shoes mileage. Im wondering though, do you notice a big difference between mile splits between what comes up in Garmin connect and Strava?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

No - splits are pretty much the same on mine.

happygoose wrote: »
    No - splits are pretty much the same on mine.

That's strange, mine are completely mad some of the time.
    For example last night easy 5 miles

Garmin Connect Strava
    8.22 8.07
    8.18 7.51
    8.11 7.38
    8.24 6.53
    8.31 7.13

The splits given by Garmin connect are the same as my watch (FR110) and the moving time, average pace for the run and total distance are exactly the same for both Strava and Garmin connect. Cant figure it out at all!

There will be differences between the distance shown on the watch and then in various other applications that you load the Garmin data up to. Some applications will take the list of points that were recorded and calculate how far you travelled by doing a straight line in between each point, other applications will try and make a curved line between each point if you were going round a corner for instance, or they might draw a straight line average between points where you were actually running in a straight line but the recorded points vary either side of that line a bit.

All depends on the application as to how they decide to draw the lines between or around the points and calculate where you really went, and as they might be drawing different routes it will change when they think you completed each mile and your splits. You are probably seeing different total distance covered on each application?

That's strange, mine are completely mad some of the time.
    For example last night easy 5 miles

Garmin Connect Strava
    8.22 8.07
    8.18 7.51
    8.11 7.38
    8.24 6.53
    8.31 7.13

The splits given by Garmin connect are the same as my watch (FR110) and the moving time, average pace for the run and total distance are exactly the same for both Strava and Garmin connect. Cant figure it out at all!

Well that is a bigger variation than I'd expected to see, but were you running through tunnels or trees or tall buildings at the time? Could the signal have got lost and either Garmin or Strava is ignoring some data points?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just make sure you're not looking at Strava's GAP (Grade-Adjusted Pace) for your splits. That can show a huge variance in split times when your pace has been fairly solid.

robinph wrote: »
    Well that is a bigger variation than I'd expected to see, but were you running through tunnels or trees or tall buildings at the time? Could the signal have got lost and either Garmin or Strava is ignoring some data points?

Nah, its was a bog standard run along the Chapelizod road and through inchicore, no trees overhead or what have you. The split with the biggest difference was along a pancake flat stretch of road! Can get my head around it at all, Im certain its not a GAP issue either. Im wondering if its my watch to be honest, its had a couple of diva moments over the last week or so, but in saying that ive been noticing these differences for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Just joined up...

Don't post here much, just a reader/lurker.

I normally upload to both Strava and Garmin Connect.

I prefer Strava now for the more social/competitive element.

The Segment feature is excellent. Not many runners in my area, but I am part of a cycling club too, and there was been some heated battles for KOMs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Bumping this for the upcoming new year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

Use Strava a bit myself for tracking gear and for random motivation on runs...

Joined the club for the craic, not sure what happens now!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

just joined the boards strava group also

Been a while since I have been in the Boards Strava club but took a look today and it really is impressive when you have a few people in there. Leaderboard is great.

No surprises with who is at the top!

http://www.strava.com/clubs/boards-ac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

I was 3rd last week :cool: wuhoooo

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭fredo1664

I wanted something new to start my training for the Istanbul Marathon, so last week I joined Strava. Now I'm a proud member of the Boards club!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Just signed up. Don't know what it is or how to use it but i'll give it a go! I like the challenges.

Just signed up. Don't know what it is or how to use it but i'll give it a go! I like the challenges.

Good stuff. Just following ya now ;)

Love the new race feature as well where you can see people training with the same race goal.

Pity you can't seem to suggest to add races. Would be good to get Dublin on there!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭fredo1664

I've just suggested this feature on their website (can't post a link): https: //strava.zendesk.com /entries/51504930-Let-me-suggest-a-race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

fredo1664 wrote: »
    I've just suggested this feature on their website (can't post a link): https: //strava.zendesk.com /entries/51504930-Let-me-suggest-a-race

Good Idea.

Just gave the feature a thumbs up (a mee too!)...

Here is the proper link to it too...
    https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/51504930-Let-me-suggest-a-race

Advertisement