Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Some interesting arrivals at the Garda Garage this evening.

3 (possibly more) Volvo V70 D5's in UK Markings, full Battenburg and Police markings which were taped over.
    One was originally registered in Peterborough in first half 2013.

They are probably factory spec Police cars so should be a welcome addition to the fleet.
    Seems like it spent quite a short period of service within the UK fleet, not sure why that would be the case.

More than likely for tangos or RSU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

POGAN wrote: »

Tangos are traffic units ya ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

3fullback wrote: »
    Tangos are traffic units ya ?

Yup they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Gotta be RSU. Sure, the 'tangos' do just fine with Hyundais...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

Some interesting arrivals at the Garda Garage this evening.

3 (possibly more) Volvo V70 D5's in UK Markings, full Battenburg and Police markings which were taped over.
    One was originally registered in Peterborough in first half 2013.

They are probably factory spec Police cars so should be a welcome addition to the fleet.
    Seems like it spent quite a short period of service within the UK fleet, not sure why that would be the case.

These? http://www.trusteddealers.co.uk/used-volvo/v70/d5/se/61219128

Sorry to disappoint those of you that were expecting to see the actual cars. I assume they are for RSU as well, just a pity they are not new but i suppose they are better than the RSU fleet becoming Hyundai's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

RSU have a couple of cars on trial atm, I presume these Volvo's are part of this. The RSU Volvo's are all 2008, so are nearing replacement age.

The have a yellow reg BMW X3, and a 3 Series estate as well atm that I know of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/14/new-volvo-v70-police-car-in-uk/
    One of the key benefits of the new police vehicle is its impressive payload of 724kg (modified from the 539kg for standard production) in the D5 diesel model. This, combined with a larger load space in the rear and a clever underfloor lockable storage area, ensures that the vehicle can safely transport all the equipment necessary for modern policing, including heavy firearms when the situation demands.

Its intelligent cabin design allows more leg and shoulder room and also provides optimum comfort for road policing officers who spend long hours in the driving seat, often wearing heavy and bulky body armour. The new Volvo V70 also benefits from a reduced turning circle (from 11.9m to 11.2m), improving manoeuvrability in the tightest of spaces.

Volvo will also present its new Swedish police V70 "Turnkey" solution – a car built and equipped in the Volvo factory to Swedish police specification. Volvo Special Vehicles is currently working with Fleet Managers to create a similar "Turnkey" solution for the UK police, which can produce a road policing car fitted out ready for service in around eight weeks.
    http://www.autoblog.com/photos/volvo-v70-uk-police-car/

infacteh wrote: »
    RSU have a couple of cars on trial atm, I presume these Volvo's are part of this. The RSU Volvo's are all 2008, so are nearing replacement age.

The have a yellow reg BMW X3, and a 3 Series estate as well atm that I know of

Yup they are trial I think they will go skoda anyway for them

BMW x5 cork has is doing all the mileage at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

D5 Volvos sound much more like it then Hyundais :D

Its a an awful shame Ford never fitted the D5 to a Mondeo :( (am I right in thinking the current V70 is based on the Mondeo :confused:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

kub wrote: »
    These? http://www.trusteddealers.co.uk/used-volvo/v70/d5/se/61219128

Sorry to disappoint those of you that were expecting to see the actual cars. I assume they are for RSU as well, just a pity they are not new but i suppose they are better than the RSU fleet becoming Hyundai's.

Yes thats the same model.

Wishful thinking here - but if the 3 (or more???) Volvos are on test - is there a chance that they MIGHT be considered for wider use then RSU.

Youd think if it was just a demonstration for RSU purchase - one would be sufficient for TESTING.

When 3 are present - that would make one wonder if more widespread testing is on the agenda????.

Regarding the been registered in early 2013 - would it be possible these are Volvo demonstrators - and thus have been on demonstration rather then cars actually bought be a Uk force????.

Id imagine that the ACTUAL cars PURCHASED - if it gets that far - would be new - but that these are demonstrator models.

Would be a very welcome addition to the fleet

I saw a 07 Vectra estate today with 'police-spec' double door mirrors so I presume they ordered 'proper' police spec back then.

D Trent wrote: »

I see Volvo offer free driver familiarity courses, so I suspect that is the reason there are 3 UK Volvos in the garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭flazio

what sort of condition would the 08 Volvos be in? Seen 1 or 2 on the motorway lately and they seem to be still well able to move at pace. Wonder would they be able for a transfer to tango duties.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    what sort of condition would the 08 Volvos be in? Seen 1 or 2 on the motorway lately and they seem to be still well able to move at pace. Wonder would they be able for a transfer to tango duties.

It is all down to mileage isn't it? As they are regional rather than divisional they must clock up more miles compared with normal patrol vehicles.

The Volvo's are guaranteed to 500k, IIRC. They were issued at different times, the ones in the SE for instance, were bought in 2008, let sit in the college for 4 years, while the warranty expired, and then issued in 2012. The rest of them would be between 200k-400k I'd imagine. I'm sure they'd stay with the RSU til end of life.

The Volvo's are guaranteed to 500k, IIRC. They were issued at different times, the ones in the SE for instance, were bought in 2008, let sit in the college for 4 years, while the warranty expired, and then issued in 2012. The rest of them would be between 200k-400k I'd imagine. I'm sure they'd stay with the RSU til end of life.

Sorry what ? Let the warranty expire ?? Huh ?

Sorry what ? Let the warranty expire ?? Huh ?

Yes, they were left parked up for 4 years, used occasionally for training, while some or all, of the warranty expired. I believe it's a 3 year warranty with Volvo.

By time there replaced they will nothing in them at this stage.

• Advertisement

Yes, they were left parked up for 4 years, used occasionally for training, while some or all, of the warranty expired. I believe it's a 3 year warranty with Volvo.

Why though ?

Why though ?

Well the plan for RSU expansion was all units up and running by 09 but with cutbacks didnt happen like that!!

Well the plan for RSU expansion was all units up and running by 09 but with cutbacks didnt happen like that!!

Ah right ! It wasn't that they wanted the warranty to run out ! Cheers POGAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭kooga

saw a traffic corps mondeo estate in cork today 132 D. it had two single exhaust pipes either end of the rear bumper. Any idea what spec?

kooga wrote: »
    saw a traffic corps mondeo estate in cork today 132 D. it had two single exhaust pipes either end of the rear bumper. Any idea what spec?

2.2 Diesel that's all I know

Yup it's there advance 2.2 diesels car they replaced the old 3l mondeos

Nice car and fast for what it is

Yup it's there advance 2.2 diesels car they replaced the old 3l mondeos

Nice car and fast for what it is

POGAN does that have the nightvision anpr? And if so where is it

POGAN does that have the nightvision anpr? And if so where is it

Depends on the division if it has anpr cork does on there's it's visable to see on the car

Looked at Ford website - have pic. of 'Titanium X Business edition' with twin pipes but not sure if lesser models have them

Petrol engines seem powerful and economical :confused: -
    The range-topping 2.0-litre EcoBoost SCTi is available with 240 PS and delivers fuel consumption of 36.7 mpg, reducing CO2 emissions by up to 20% when compared to previous engines. That means a considerable saving at the petrol pump. The new 1.6-litre EcoBoost engine is available with 160 PS and delivers fuel consumption of 44.1 mpg
    .......next-generation 2.0-litre Duratorq TDCi diesel and 2.0-litre Duratec engines..... (no figures)

Saw another transporter load of i30's at 4pm on the way to the depot today for marking up. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

thought they would have all sent out at this stage...

carzony wrote: »
    thought they would have all sent out at this stage...

No where close

Capri wrote: »
    Saw another transporter load of i30's at 4pm on the way to the depot today for marking up. ;)

Were they 142's ?

Are all i30s gone out the i30 tourer ? I think my eyes play tricks on me and I'm never too sure when I look at them !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭ratracer

Are there many marked I40's around? I've only seen the 30's on the roads around Galway and Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

@Kaiser D, not sure about the traffic cars, but the FIAT belongs to J District (Howth/Raheny/Clontarf)

Are all i30s gone out the i30 tourer ? I think my eyes play tricks on me and I'm never too sure when I look at them !

Yup all i30s and focus.... But never know what might turn up!!! Please god no more i30s on traffic

Yup all i30s and focus.... But never know what might turn up!!! Please god no more i30s on traffic

Ya no need to worry bout that POGAN one the lads in the depot said traffic are getting i20's anymore

Ya no need to worry bout that POGAN one the lads in the depot said traffic are getting i20's anymore

When you see i30s on traffic it raises questions

1) What do we want traffics role to be - what is its future

2) why not have a separate tender for traffic cars - when we can establish the answers to the first question - as that would obviously inform the sort of cars that would be needed for the role

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    @Kaiser D, not sure about the traffic cars, but the FIAT belongs to J District (Howth/Raheny/Clontarf)

I see. I thought they might have been out in force because of these "riots" kids have been causing lately around Howth, but then I noticed the focus' were traffic cars.

In the photo there is a Daybreak across the road. I'm sure we can all come to the conclusion that Tuesday nights in Howth is when Daybreak give out their hot deli leftovers for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

In the photo there is a Daybreak across the road. I'm sure we can all come to the conclusion that Tuesday nights in Howth is when Daybreak give out their hot deli leftovers for free

Or ya know, the cop shop is 50 yards away and there is very little parking

Old diesel wrote: »
    When you see i30s on traffic it raises questions

1) What do we want traffics role to be - what is its future

2) why not have a separate tender for traffic cars - when we can establish the answers to the first question - as that would obviously inform the sort of cars that would be needed for the role

They really go for cheapest no matter what

They really go for cheapest no matter what

I agree - but i30s for traffic (for me) raises wider questions about how exactly they see traffic.

I often wonder - how the Uk roads policing model would work over here IF YOU HAD THE PROPER TRAINING AND RESOURCES - and decent cars.

Are i30s even good enough for the regular now that i think about it - youd think a regular car would need to be something like a Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 140 ps - not a 1.6 diesel Hyundai.

Hope VAG start getting more enthusiasm about getting involved with tenders as they have something to suit most requirements - i should think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Old diesel wrote: »
    I agree - but i30s for traffic (for me) raises wider questions about how exactly they see traffic.

I often wonder - how the Uk roads policing model would work over here IF YOU HAD THE PROPER TRAINING AND RESOURCES - and decent cars.

Are i30s even good enough for the regular now that i think about it - youd think a regular car would need to be something like a Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 140 ps - not a 1.6 diesel Hyundai.

Hope VAG start getting more enthusiasm about getting involved with tenders as they have something to suit most requirements - i should think

i30s are not good for the regular at all. Terrible car tbh.

Were they even tested in the Driving School?

• Advertisement

TheNog wrote: »
    i30s are not good for the regular at all. Terrible car tbh.

Were they even tested in the Driving School?

I thought that might be the case :(

Youd think someone would test the cars out before buying them - to see their suitability for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Anyone know what state provided makes\models are the management (brass) driving for run arounds?

This thread http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057261297/1/#post91542648
    made me laugh at how oblivious the general public are at how bad a condition AGS fleet is atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I live there... That yaris must be hitting massive mileage figures by now.... its a 2003 reg lol.....

Hey Capri, why the rolls eyes 're the Subaru?

• Advertisement
Advertisement