Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Bands

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

mrgardener wrote: »
    I think the problem is that pub owners etc want cover bands that the punters can sing along to. Yet, personally, I would much prefer to watch an original band play original songs or at least put their own slant on covers. Waterford has produced O Emporer (selling well, gigging loads), King Kong Company, Solar Taxi etc.
    All original acts who have or will make a serious dent in the music industry IF they can get the right gigs and airplay.

I hear you, BUT you cant blame the pub owners too much. 90% of people in a pub dont want to hear original music. Come to think of it, I'd be surprised if most people would want to hear ANY band, covers or original. These things tend to come in cycles, so this could all change.

The bands you mentioned are all great to be sure, but to prove my point, on King Kong Companys facebook page, they said they're not playing any gigs.
    http://www.facebook.com/KingKongCompany
    Don't understand it myself, a band has to play live at some stage, but maybe they cant get the gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrgardener

To be fair, they're not a pub band!
    If a pubowner started to book original bands and promoted it properly, they would get the numbers. I'd imagine a lot of young original acts would play for less money if they could get their music out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Blueprint are the best band in the town bar none in my opinion.
    Butterfly band are in forum lounge tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Article about O Emperor in one of today's newspapers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

For something Different check out the Swamp Stompers, good for an ould swing dance>

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Swamp-Stompers/305450637156

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

Any decent Pop-punk or hardcore bands around Waterford? Always wanted to organize a gig down here since I'm studying here but never got around to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

neilk32 wrote: »
    Any decent Pop-punk or hardcore bands around Waterford? Always wanted to organize a gig down here since I'm studying here but never got around to it.

there are actually quite a few, unfortunately theres not many places to play unless a group of bands get together and draw a crowd. what sort of stuff do ya play?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

kkdela6 wrote: »
    there are actually quite a few, unfortunately theres not many places to play unless a group of bands get together and draw a crowd. what sort of stuff do ya play?

We just play our own stuff.

http://andersonmesa.bandcamp.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

anyone remember the Gemstones?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

Murphy's on the quay are doing original bands every week now. Ziconaut (New Wave Punk/Ska/Mod type thing) and Trousersnake (classic/glam rock) were there on Friday night. Decent crowd and a good night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mick111112

Trying to think of the name of the band that played on the roof of Phil grimes with Robert O 'Conor and Nial Hogan some years ago if anyone knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

mick111112 wrote: »
    Trying to think of the name of the band that played on the roof of Phil grimes with Robert O 'Conor and Nial Hogan some years ago if anyone knows.

Kodakid played on phil Grimes roof a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mick111112

Don't think it was kodakid , it was spraoi weekend and I think Rob O Conor was the singer, great weekend to get this thread going again hitting the town the next two nights looking forward to seeing a few bands

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Don't think it was kodakid , it was spraoi weekend and I think Rob O Conor was the singer, great weekend to get this thread going again hitting the town the next two nights looking forward to seeing a few bands

Kodakid played there spraoi 2012. There was probably others played there over the years.

Lots of good bands this year. Hopefully people get off their holes and go see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Lebowski played there and I could have sworn it was two years ago. They did their Beatles set. But obviously Rob O'Connor wasn't singing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Rob was a regular favourite of mine back in the Candlelight Sessions hey day, he did a thing with someone from Torann a couple of years back on the roof of Grimes' I am pretty sure....then again I am sure this happened a few times so could be mixing dates up!

Is that still going actually? Some great acts came through there, from Kevin Power as a bright eyed teenager to Neil White before politics and foreign talent like Jamie Lawson and the extremely unique "Kipper" :)

Some of Robs original stuff was quality

• Registered Users Posts: 42 funk junky

There are tons of great waterford bands still .top of my head koda kid, solar taxi, swamp stomps, oh emperor and great solo players. You just have to go out and see them. Murphy is still good for original stuff. And red kettle sessions are unreal. As much fun as anything that's been around town in the last ten years.

Nostalgia is great but we should support new ( or old) talent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You doing anything at the mo Damo?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 funk junky

kryogen wrote: »
    You doing anything at the mo Damo?

Couple of bits tipping just getting off the ground.who have we here. ? ☺

Advertisement