Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Bands

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Granger

Does anyone know the contact details for the band cassidy. They don't seem to have a website. Any help would be fantastic

thanks

john

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Jaysus the memories! Used to play at sleep then keep the gear in the bandflat upstairs when (John?) had it. Started off years before in a band flat down by what is now the grattan with shiver in the room opposite. Bands who were on the go when i was in waterford were cassidy, duped, resin, the heard. Loads more i'm sure but cant remember. Four doors down going back a bit farther, skunk (madness tribute), troubadour (huge with the teens back in the early 00's, remember playing teenage kicks in garter lane with them and shiver in 01 i think, great times!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

efla wrote: »
    Jaysus the memories! Used to play at sleep then keep the gear in the bandflat upstairs when (John?) had it. Started off years before in a band flat down by what is now the grattan with shiver in the room opposite. Bands who were on the go when i was in waterford were cassidy, duped, resin, the heard. Loads more i'm sure but cant remember. Four doors down going back a bit farther, skunk (madness tribute), troubadour (huge with the teens back in the early 00's, remember playing teenage kicks in garter lane with them and shiver in 01 i think, great times!).

Who did you play with back then efla?

And funny that you shuld mention Troubadour and the very next post mentions O Emperor. Fennessy, Ritchie and Savage are doing well for themselves since back then!

Yeah, these guys are something special if you ask me. The three lads I named above are playing together years and Phil and Alan are brilliant musicians in their own right so I'm not surprised that they're now making a name for themselves.

They're getting national airplay and coverage in magazines like Hot Press. Currently on a UK and Ireland tour. They played in Electric Avenue last Friday but I didn't go in the end. Hopefully their rise continues.

You didn't post my favourite song of theirs. Here's the YouTube of them performing on RTE2's 'When Under Ether'.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Who did you play with back then efla?

And funny that you shuld mention Troubadour and the very next post mentions O Emperor. Fennessy, Ritchie and Savage are doing well for themselves since back then!

Yeah, these guys are something special if you ask me. The three lads I named above are playing together years and Phil and Alan are brilliant musicians in their own right so I'm not surprised that they're now making a name for themselves.

They're getting national airplay and coverage in magazines like Hot Press. Currently on a UK and Ireland tour.

I dont believe it, i remember them well! Were they playing as saviours of space before this? That was the last time i talked to them. I played in ezra, we weren't out much. Played sleep at the kings, and a few stand alone gigs there too, wit, and the raven (which is now a strip bar)?? Played the forum with alex from ruby studios before he went on with cassidy (and stole some beer from shiver - they may have been playing as the real by then). Sav played drums for a few months with us which was an experience, he is excellent. Really miss the whole 'scene', had some great times... Is there anything like sleep anymore?

• Advertisement

I dont believe it, i remember them well! Were they playing as saviours of space before this? That was the last time i talked to them. I played in ezra, we weren't out much. Played sleep at the kings, and a few stand alone gigs there too, wit, and the raven (which is now a strip bar)?? Played the forum with alex from ruby studios before he went on with cassidy (and stole some beer from shiver - they may have been playing as the real by then). Sav played drums for a few months with us which was an experience, he is excellent. Really miss the whole 'scene', had some great times... Is there anything like sleep anymore?

Yeah they were Saviours of Space alright. Not too sure when they changed to O Emperor but they're flying now. They apparently headlined the New Bands Stage at Oxegen and all.

Jesus, I don't remember Ezra as a name but I know all the bands you're talking about and I'm pretty sure I was at that Teenage Kicks gig. I don't remember Sleep to be honest. What was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

I played in ezra, we weren't out much.

Not before we had a go in Sub City, eh Efla? :D

Sleep was an open session on monday nights at the kings. People would bring gear every week, then would play for the night in rotation, great fun. People could drift in and out, play for a while with others. The cassidy lads were there most nights, some of the shiver lads (keyboard player mostly i think) and a few of the other local heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Gorbachov ftw

ahhh anyone remember the back room sessions in paul flynns years back... fun times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Don't forget about Drohans...

Actually... maybe we should forget about Drohans.

• Advertisement

Chochese wrote: »
    Not before we had a go in Sub City, eh Efla? :D

No doubt :) Dont forget Mayo...! edit: they still owe me for that f**king p.a!!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Used to love Skunk when they were going strong!

Like The Remedees and The Waxies at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The Jam Tarts really need to update their material. A lot of bands become lazy and lose their place among the elite of top quality local bands. This is happening to them. The great reputation that they built for themselves, and have rested on for a good few years, is beginning to weaken.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

The last time i saw the jam tarts was some miserable monday night in ruby lounge. A mate of mine got engaged and the bones of 30 of us went out. We had the place to ourselves and i must say i thought they were very good. By the end of the night my constant roboting to every song infront of them started to wear thin with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Skidoo! What a band

btw, the Jam Tarts used to be one o my faves, but i saw them recently and they are still playing the same set they were playing last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

I love seen Paulie Kool. Always a bit of craic. And they give the minister some going in as well which is always a laugh.

Went to see O Emperor in Electric Avenue last Friday and they were amazing. I remember when Alan used to be in The Blaa's playing most Thursday nights in the Old Rouge. Come along way since then, all the lads have.

I really enjoy Shane Barry and the Distractions I think these are excellent. Something a little different.

Also there is a band called Solar Taxi, Ashling Brown is the singer, Not sure if thats the right band, but she has some voice.

The Jam Tarts really need to update their material. A lot of bands become lazy and lose their place among the elite of top quality local bands. This is happening to them. The great reputation that they built for themselves, and have rested on for a good few years, is beginning to weaken.

Yeah we were only talking about this at the weekend. Someone I know has gone to most of their gigs for a good while now but she actually said that she's getting bored with them because it's at the stage where she knows exactly what song they're going to be playing next. That seems incredibly lazy to me.

If this is the prevailing sentiment, I'd say we could see them changing it up in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

I know , I would still watch them and alot of their material is great but thet have been doing the same songs for years , like seriously they should really learn a load of new songs and start playing them !

I think for a local band thats great live Id have to go for Floyd Soul and The Wolf , couple of great original tracks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

I think for a local band thats great live Id have to go for Floyd Soul and The Wolf , couple of great original tracks!

Forgot these guys. Different as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Whatsthisabout

TBH I don't think the Jam Tarts are going to care about updating that set, they are still getting gigs with it and I’d say that’s all the really care about. The guys real interest is going to be in their far more creative original efforts like fighting spiders I am sure the Jam Tarts only serves to fund this for them everyone needs there bread and butter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

TBH I don't think the Jam Tarts are going to care about updating that set, they are still getting gigs with it and I’d say that’s all the really care about. The guys real interest is going to be in their far more creative original efforts like fighting spiders I am sure the Jam Tarts only serves to fund this for them everyone needs there bread and butter.

Yep, that's about the size of it. There are a fair few musicians funding their creative endeavours from these type of gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

So wheres the best bands playing tonight any one got list of where and who playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Saturday, 23 January 2010
    Revenge and John Daly. 8.00pm. Ruby's Nite Club
    Foo Fighters Tribute 8pm, Electric Avenue.
    The Revenge & John Daly 10pm, Ruby's
    Blue Print KazBar

AdMMM wrote: »
    Saturday, 23 January 2010
    Revenge and John Daly. 8.00pm. Ruby's Nite Club
    Foo Fighters Tribute 8pm, Electric Avenue.
    The Revenge & John Daly 10pm, Ruby's
    Blue Print KazBar

Nice 1 you wouldnt know whats on the hill by any chance? might start their. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Glyder are in Twister Vicks at 10:30 I think and Doozer are in Ned Kellys at 10.

Adyx wrote: »
    Glyder are in Twister Vicks at 10:30 I think and Doozer are in Ned Kellys at 10.

k thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

it is an awful pity, waterford has some serious bands that i guarantee if were located anywhere else would be doing very well. fighting spiders are fantastic, in my opinion are up there in the same quality as depeche mode and new order. shane barry and the distractions, o emperor, floyd soul and the wolf, ghetto amaretto, chimpanbee, dirty ten to one, kytte, the list goes on. it seems the only gigs bands can get in waterford are ones playing cover songs to drunk people in places like revolution or the kazbar and even these cover bands are fantastic. sals and murphys often have new up and coming bands on the weekends but alas people seem to shy away from these places. the waterford music scene has brilliant potential, if only there was the venues and people to support it

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

Skindraft, have a few old skindraft eps from a few years ago, listened to one recently still really good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Skindraft, have a few old skindraft eps from a few years ago, listened to one recently still really good

Have a Skindraft ep myself and saw them support Wexford band Soma State on their album launch. Really good band, as are the ones kkdela6 mentioned. It is a pity that there are so few venues left open to local original bands. I'd love to open somewhere like the Junction and put on bands. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrgardener

Adyx wrote: »
    Have a Skindraft ep myself and saw them support Wexford band Soma State on their album launch. Really good band, as are the ones kkdela6 mentioned. It is a pity that there are so few venues left open to local original bands. I'd love to open somewhere like the Junction and put on bands. :(

I think the problem is that pub owners etc want cover bands that the punters can sing along to. Yet, personally, I would much prefer to watch an original band play original songs or at least put their own slant on covers. Waterford has produced O Emporer (selling well, gigging loads), King Kong Company, Solar Taxi etc.
    All original acts who have or will make a serious dent in the music industry IF they can get the right gigs and airplay.

Advertisement