Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea trout fishing tips/help

Options
  • 31-07-2014 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

Iv been up my local river lately and have seen some big sea trout in it an have tryed to catch them with a friend and no look.

Does anyone know whas best way to fish for them and when is best time if the day?

Any help ne great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

Seller159 wrote: »
    Iv been up my local river lately and have seen some big sea trout in it an have tryed to catch them with a friend and no look.

Does anyone know whas best way to fish for them and when is best time if the day?

Any help ne great thanks

Fly fishing at night in low water is the best time to fish for seatrout, they are weary fish and will be spooked easily so you have to be very quiet when fishing for them
    Spinning is another good way in high water mepps been one of the better lures
    We badly need some rain to freshen up the rivers tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

realrebel wrote: »
    Fly fishing at night in low water is the best time to fish for seatrout, they are weary fish and will be spooked easily so you have to be very quiet when fishing for them
    Spinning is another good way in high water mepps been one of the better lures
    We badly need some rain to freshen up the rivers tho

What time of day is best for spinning with meps ? Anytime. Or just evenings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jd6210

I am looking to get cracking with a bit of spinning this weekend, think there might b a bit of rain on the way, what mepps would you suggest. What are the best rivers/ pools in Wicklow??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

night time is the best time for sea trout.I fly fish myself but if you dont buy some maggots in a tackle shop. there great bait for sea trout.

Size 2 or 3 mepps is best either plain silver or silver and blue spots
    You need the river coming off a flood they won't take any lure in this low water I say it be very hard anyway
    I fish the south west so not sure of any rivers up that way

• Advertisement

night time is the best time for sea trout.I fly fish myself but if you dont buy some maggots in a tackle shop. there great bait for sea trout.

Iv tried worms on a float but no look at all I haven't tried at night but would maggots be best at night time for them? On a float or ledger rig ?

Size 2 or 3 mepps is best either plain silver or silver and blue spots
    You need the river coming off a flood they won't take any lure in this low water I say it be very hard anyway
    I fish the south west so not sure of any rivers up that way

I haven't tried for them on spinners yet tbh iv only tired for brown trout and caught a few. But I was up the river a diffrent day with a friend and he was fishing with worm and he spotted the sea trout but no look to catch one so I'm gonna give it a try to day possible after work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Keep in mind when fishing with maggots for sea trout there is a good chance that will be deep hooked and need to be killed
    My advice would be not to use maggots for game fish
    It is usually banned on most rivers and rightly so..
    Iv tried worms on a float but no look at all I haven't tried at night but would maggots be best at night time for them? On a float or ledger rig ?

fisherking wrote: »
    Keep in mind when fishing with maggots for sea trout there is a good chance that will be deep hooked and need to be killed
    My advice would be not to use maggots for game fish
    It is usually banned on most rivers and rightly so..

I sure will keep that in mind as id like to return the fish save as possible if i can so ill just have to strike and set the hook as soon as i get a bite to try stop that from happen

Is the dargle open for fishing??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

The use of maggots to deliberately target trout is very much frowned upon and they should not be used as bait.
    I sure will keep that in mind as id like to return the fish save as possible if i can so ill just have to strike and set the hook as soon as i get a bite to try stop that from happen

If you genuinely want to return fish alive (or at least do so selectively, which is fair enough) then don't use maggots. Maggots are banned on many waters because of the way trout take the bait ; they simply suck them straight in and by the time you detect the bite it's too late, the maggots have been swallowed and the fish will be deep hooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

jd6210 wrote: »
    Is the dargle open for fishing??

No, it is closed for works.

EmptyTree wrote: »
    The use of maggots to deliberately target trout is very much frowned upon and they should not be used as bait.

If you genuinely want to return fish alive (or at least do so selectively, which is fair enough) then don't use maggots. Maggots are banned on many waters because of the way trout take the bait ; they simply suck them straight in and by the time you detect the bite it's too late, the maggots have been swallowed and the fish will be deep hooked.

Ok so maggot is bad idea if I'm returning them . So ill have to spin for them is the best option ?

No, it is closed for works.

Yeah there working on it ATM and recking it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ok so maggot is bad idea if I'm returning them . So ill have to spin for them is the best option ?

Try for them on the fly. Great sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

QUOTE]

frowned upon by who??? a generation of people who think that just because they fly fish they are better than those who bait fish, this no bait attitude really annoys me I like to bait fish I return just as many fish as any one I this year I have caught 35 sea trout and kept 2, why should me and my like be frowned upon!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

stretchaq wrote: »
    frowned upon by who??? a generation of people who think that just because they fly fish they are better than those who bait fish, this no bait attitude really annoys me I like to bait fish I return just as many fish as any one I this year I have caught 35 sea trout and kept 2, why should me and my like be frowned upon!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

If you care to read my post again you'll see that I specify the use of maggots - I don't at any point refer to the use of any other bait. I have used worm myself in the past (and will do so again no doubt). My current method of choice is spinning. In fact, I have never fly fished, although it is something I very much want to try. So I'm sure you and your like are grand ;)

If you care to read my post again you'll see that I specify the use of maggots - I don't at any point refer to the use of any other bait. I have used worm myself in the past (and will do so again no doubt). My current method of choice is spinning. In fact, I have never fly fished, although it is something I very much want to try. So I'm sure you and your like are grand ;)

In small deep rivers with little flow it is difficult to fly fish for sea trout. you will find plenty of people who fish with the fly and maggots at the same time. using a large fly like a teal blue and silver and maybe 2 or 3 maggots with a floating fly line. this is a great method to use at night. i haven't done it in a couple of years as i fish another river now that fly only is permitted.I very rarely deep hooked a fish with maggots.I have also deep hooked sea trout on a bare fly. I have nothing against people who bait fish and i think some fly fishermen have there head stuck up there arse and think there the gods of the river : ). fishing is a great pastime and each to there own where it is permitted of course.

Thanks all for the help I will be giving it a try this week and since there has been nice rain I might get a good chance :) will keep people upto date if anyone would like to know and if catch one will put a pic up thanks an wish me luck

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

In small deep rivers with little flow it is difficult to fly fish for sea trout. you will find plenty of people who fish with the fly and maggots at the same time. using a large fly like a teal blue and silver and maybe 2 or 3 maggots with a floating fly line. this is a great method to use at night. i haven't done it in a couple of years as i fish another river now that fly only is permitted.I very rarely deep hooked a fish with maggots.I have also deep hooked sea trout on a bare fly. I have nothing against people who bait fish and i think some fly fishermen have there head stuck up there arse and think there the gods of the river : ). fishing is a great pastime and each to there own where it is permitted of course.

Great response.... Fair play..

• Advertisement

Went up to local river today were seen the sea trout last time was up there and I caught a fish not sure if is a salmon or trout can anyone tell me

I think my self it looks to salmon but not 100%

Pic below

Thanks

Went up to local river today were seen the sea trout last time was up there and I caught a fish not sure if is a salmon or trout can anyone tell me

I think my self it looks to salmon but not 100%

Pic below

Thanks

its a sea trout. what did you catch it on after?

its a sea trout. what did you catch it on after?

Cheers for that. I got it on a mep spinner 1st cast hit it with a good bang.

Cheers for that. I got it on a mep spinner 1st cast hit it with a good bang.

Fair play ur best chance is the first few casts catch them by surprise
    Did u get them in the low water?

If u don't mind me asking wat river was this on? Is it ok to spin after cutting two of the treble hooks off a mepp and grinding down the barb??

Fair play ur best chance is the first few casts catch them by surprise
    Did u get them in the low water?

Thanks man. Yeah I got him on 1st cast wasn't a bad scrap from him :). No was in high water not to high but usally it's very Low the water but because of the rain it went up a good since last time .

Also got few brownies :) not the biggest but still nice and lovely colours here's pic of one them.

jd6210 wrote: »
    If u don't mind me asking wat river was this on? Is it ok to spin after cutting two of the treble hooks off a mepp and grinding down the barb??

Hi there, I'd rather not say the river it is as like to keep it from being over fished . You can just grind down the barbs is grand. It's the barb that harms the fish more so than the hooks with out the barbs.

I trust all the sea trout anglers are in possession of the appropriate license?

Not trying to be funny or smart about it but if you get caught without one you could be in bother.

I am anyway!

• Advertisement

Try for them on the fly. Great sport.

I would love to but I don't have fly rod anymore an tbh not to sure how to fly fish never really gave it a try and I trade my fly rod in here a while back but the guy i sent it to kept it and never reply back to me or send me what we we're suppose to trade :(

Advertisement