Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

greyhound waste

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Greyhound are the pits.
    -We only started our wheelie bin account in May. On Tuesday, our green bin was not collected. So we called to see why. We were told that Greyhound were no longer collecting wheelie bins in our area as it is a bag collection area. We weren't notified or warned of this in any way.
    -The next day we got a call from sales/cancellation department asking us why we were cancelling, he was hoping to get us to change our mind. It wasn't our choice to stop using wheelie bins, we were forced to do so
    -Yesterday a greyhound truck emptied all 3 bins into the one truck. Is there not separate trucks for the different bins? It seemed to me that it was pointless recycling if they were just going to put everything in the one truck
    -We asked the binman could he remove the bins as we no longer had use for them. He said (jokingly) that we should give them to the neighbourhood kids for halloween. I doubt these bins will actually be collected at all.

Overall, service was fairly abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Delta2113 wrote: »
    1. No Annual Charge
    2. No weight Limits
    3. No Excess Weight Charge
    4. Easy Monthly Payments of €12.50 which is the lowest price in the Dublin waste market.

1-4 above direct from letter sent out - so yes €12.50 per month in total.

This is Waiver customers only.

For 2015 it will be €15.50 per month or you can pay a reduced rate of €175 per year -saving €11.

Is this good?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bray Head

I've been with Greyhound on and off for a while. The only other option is City Bin. Their service was far superior but they suggested a 100% price increase on us (we generate a lot of waste) so we went back to Greyhound.

Greyhound's service is dire but here's a few tips:

-Pay them once off by credit card at the start of the year. This way they can't keep taking direct debits from you when you cancel
    -When something goes wrong call up and insist to speak to a supervisor. Essentially challenge them to hang up on you. They'll blink.
    -Supervisors seem to have the power to actually do anything. There are a lot of people answering phones who seem unable to get anything done.
    -We had uncollected bins for a while. If you insist long and hard enough they will give you credit for the period they were uncollected. See point on supervisor.
    -Put it in writing to info greyhound.ie as well. I once got a problem sorted that way.
    -Always cite your account number.

It's a pain, but for us it's a lot, lot cheaper so I put up with it.

For 2015 it will be €15.50 per month or you can pay a reduced rate of €175 per year -saving €11.

Is this good?

Got it for €160 in the end i.e. €13.33 per month.

I have heard some people getting the bins for €12 per month. Anybody else hear of this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I have heard some people getting the bins for €12 per month. Anybody else hear of this?

We're with city bin, and generate a lot of waste.

We're 12.50 per month, no weight restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We have no monthly charge, just pay per lift. I spent 60 on black bin and 20 on green year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I got Greyhound down to €13 per month , no weight restrictions and no annual charge. My neighbours pay Greyhound €10 a month but that's because they moved to City Bins and this was the offer to return.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Karen23 wrote: »
    I got Greyhound down to €13 per month , no weight restrictions and no annual charge. My neighbours pay Greyhound €10 a month but that's because they moved to City Bins and this was the offer to return.

How did you get it down to €13, where you going to leave? What area are you in, I'm in Tallaght but City bins don't service the area. I'm on the €15.50 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

nava wrote: »
    How did you get it down to €13, where you going to leave? What area are you in, I'm in Tallaght but City bins don't service the area. I'm on the €15.50 per month.

How did you get this deal please? Did you just ring up?

I'm also in South Dublin CC area, and pay annual charge + pay per lift and by weight.

The Greyhound website is absolutely dire. Gives no information at all on their charges, you have to submit for a quote! Does that mean that there are different charges for different people or what. Madness.

But where I am the service is very good Touch Wood.

• Advertisement

How did you get this deal please? Did you just ring up?

I'm also in South Dublin CC area, and pay annual charge + pay per lift and by weight.

The Greyhound website is absolutely dire. Gives no information at all on their charges, you have to submit for a quote! Does that mean that there are different charges for different people or what. Madness.

But where I am the service is very good Touch Wood.

Are you with Greyhound already? if you threaten to leave they will probably offer you some deal to stay. Try to get it as low as the €13 or at least the €15.50. Also ask for refund on the remaining on the annual fee or free month.

I sent for a quote on the website, they came back with the €15.50 per month for the 3 bins, no annual fees and no weight charges.

Are you with Greyhound already? if you threaten to leave they will probably offer you some deal to stay. Try to get it as low as the €13 or at least the €15.50. Also ask for refund on the remaining on the annual fee or free month.

I sent for a quote on the website, they came back with the €15.50 per month for the 3 bins, no annual fees and no weight charges.

Cheers for the reply. Yes I am with GH already.

I don't recall ever being offered a deal without an annual charge and pay by weight/lift.

I suppose I could threaten to leave and get the monthly deal, but I'm a lazy procrastinator. They love people like me!

Anyway the thread has given me a few ideas anyway and lots of food for thought.

I do find the GH website very bad. Thorntons just says it as it is. They are an option for me soon if GH doesn't match them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Karen23 wrote: »

I rang up and told them I wanted to cancel. Said I was disgusted that I was being punished for staying with Greyhound because all my neighbours had left and went with City Bins and were being offered great deals to come back. They said 15.50 was the best they could offer me but I said my neighbours got the €10 deal and I was cancelling unless I got the same. Eventually they came down to €13 a month and refunded me the annual service charge I'd already paid and agreed to review it in a couple of months. I was happy with that so I accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

We're with city bin, and generate a lot of waste.

We're 12.50 per month, no weight restrictions.

All going to change in 2016 when it will be pay by weight nationwide. Was due to happen apparently in July 2015 but the little problem of an election and the IW fiasco also under Alan Kelly and Labour means that it's long fingered by 12 months.

Greyhound will make sure that they have everybody on a nice juicy annual administration charge or whatever they like to call it just in case you hardly put your bins out to try and save and they don't weigh much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Anyone finding that the website for greyhound waste looks like it was hacked?
    http://greyhound.ie/calendar-search.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Anyone finding that the website for greyhound waste looks like it was hacked?
    http://greyhound.ie/calendar-search.php

Maybe they are outsourcing? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Greyhound new service charge 3.25 per week or 140.00 per year
    35c kg Black bin
    23c kg Brown bin
    0c Green bin
    Anybody else get this email.
    Anybody know City bin charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭VB

Didn't get anything from greyhound yet. Any word on what they are doing if you prepaid for the year already?

VB wrote: »
    Didn't get anything from greyhound yet. Any word on what they are doing if you prepaid for the year already?

Someone asked on their Facebook, their reply was "Any service charge you had paid will be refunded back to your account on a pro rata basis when these new plans begin. so if you paid for the year and you have 2 months left that 2 months worth of credit gets put back on your account."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Someone asked on their Facebook, their reply was "Any service charge you had paid will be refunded back to your account on a pro rata basis when these new plans begin. so if you paid for the year and you have 2 months left that 2 months worth of credit gets put back on your account."

This has all the appearances of one massive rip-off,and perhaps indicative of what may happen should our Water Infrastructure fall into the hands of these "Entrepreneurs"

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    This has all the appearances of one massive rip-off,and perhaps indicative of what may happen should our Water Infrastructure fall into the hands of these "Entrepreneurs"

Where is the rip off if you get credit for unused months? And, there is no indication of Irish Water going this way at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

AlekSmart wrote: »

Nobody was ever going to buy IW even if it was offered for sale (which it wasn't going to be). Mass non payment and no ability to disconnect = worst investment possible

Where is the rip off if you get credit for unused months? And, there is no indication of Irish Water going this way at all.

Just to note, I pay E60 annual charge, and pay by weight for Black and Brown bins at the minute.

Black bin goes out about twice or three times a year, no nappies here! and the Brown bin every month in Summer because of vegetation clippings etc.

NOW, I have to pay E140 per annum whether I like it or not + pay by weight.

Rip off is right.

All the waste providers are more or less the same now. So much for competition. And I'm not talking about saving a tenner a year, I am not bothered by such a small saving. So there we are again.

Private enterprise can do what it likes.

And the previous poster is correct. IW if it ever gets off the ground will do exactly the same.

The illegal dumping in laneways and other spots is an epidemic at the minute, it can only get worse. Which costs the Council litter sections a fortune to clean up, and the LPT is whittled away.

You could not make this up.

Just to note, I pay E60 annual charge, and pay by weight for Black and Brown bins at the minute.

Black bin goes out about twice or three times a year, no nappies here! and the Brown bin every month in Summer because of vegetation clippings etc.

NOW, I have to pay E140 per annum whether I like it or not + pay by weight.

Rip off is right.

All the waste providers are more or less the same now. So much for competition. And I'm not talking about saving a tenner a year, I am not bothered by such a small saving. So there we are again.

Private enterprise can do what it likes.

And the previous poster is correct. IW if it ever gets off the ground will do exactly the same.

The illegal dumping in laneways and other spots is an epidemic at the minute, it can only get worse. Which costs the Council litter sections a fortune to clean up, and the LPT is whittled away.

You could not make this up.

Fine, but the point was in relation to the refund of fees paid to date.

Fine, but the point was in relation to the refund of fees paid to date.

This is what came in the email to me re charges. Note that I can opt for an annual charge, but I reckon that will be 140 anyway. I doubt anyone will get through to their call centre until after 1 July to find out how much the annual charge is, so it will be implicitly understood that I have opted for the weekly charge!

We are aware that in the past you have preferred to pay your service charge annually. This option is still available but our priority is to make sure your bin continues to be collected and as a result we will move your account to the weekly option below. If in the coming weeks and months you decide that you wish to move onto an annual service charge all you need to do is contact us and we will change your plan immediately.

Following the changeover, any unused service amount from your current price plan will be credited back to your account on the 1st of July due to the change in your service dates. The new weekly service charge above will be deducted from your account balance starting from the 1st of July 2016.

Clear as mud...
    And next year the weekly charge will be anything they like.

Clear enough actually.

Clear enough actually.

In general, but no word about how much the annual charge would be if I opted for that instead of a weekly charge.

Both will be the same IMV. But they could have said that. 140 in one lump or top up the account as you go along to cover the weekly charge + lift charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭guil

In general, but no word about how much the annual charge would be if I opted for that instead of a weekly charge.

Both will be the same IMV. But they could have said that. 140 in one lump or top up the account as you go along to cover the weekly charge + lift charges.
    Greyhound is €3.25 service charge per week I think. There's a thread about it in bargain alerts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's not. Your unused half of 2016 will become account credit

Advertisement