Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

yellow hen wrote: »
    I have those and lanolin wtc and the pain between feeds us fine. As I said I've no cracking or chapping or bleeding. It's just that when she does feed, the bites me to bits.

hi Yellow hen, is you're baby sticking her tongue forward when nursing. she should have her tongue and upper gum around nipple, not the lower gum. Also when she latches on gently pull on her chin to be sure her lip is curled out.

I'd also recommend finding a local breastfeeding support group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

YH - PM'd you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi all,
    This is probably going to sound like the post of a crazy person but I just want some opinions please!
    I have a week old baby, and it's my second.I breastfed briefly with the first but she was also bottle fed for dehydration soon after birth, so I gave up the breastfeeding quite quickly (due my own medical issues shortly after the birth too)
    Anyway no.2 is here and I am exclusively breastfeeding for now.It all seems good, she's latching fine and drinking away, plenty of wet and dirty nappies.
    My 'problem' is this....how do I get her to sleep without feeding?
    I know this sounds crazy, and I'm not trying to impose a sleep or feed schedule on a newborn here or do sleep training at this point.I just want to know what others do when their newborn is tired and needs to fall asleep?I admit I'm beginning to fall into the habit of feeding her when she's tired mostly because she frantically looks for it and won"t accept a soother or anything else. But my nipples are getting sore, it doesn't always make her sleep and tbh, I also have a toddler.Also I feel she eats, then falls asleep, and wakes up chock full of wind later, which can result in a lot of crying.
    I know as a second time mum, this should seem obvious to me, but the thing is that first time I was in hospital for a couple of weeks after the birth, and when I got home,I hadn't a clue and was a bit traumatised and we endured hours of crying every evening due to reflux.So I haven't really got anything 'normal' to compare to.
    Has anyone any tips to help a sleepy newborn settle without feeding all the time??

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

I'm so glad things are a little better. At least with the shields you can heal and you are not in horrific pain. What a disgrace that they let you leave the hospital without seeing a LC. I hope you are able to get some good advice from one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

BusyIzzy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    This is probably going to sound like the post of a crazy person but I just want some opinions please!
    I have a week old baby, and it's my second.I breastfed briefly with the first but she was also bottle fed for dehydration soon after birth, so I gave up the breastfeeding quite quickly (due my own medical issues shortly after the birth too)
    Anyway no.2 is here and I am exclusively breastfeeding for now.It all seems good, she's latching fine and drinking away, plenty of wet and dirty nappies.
    My 'problem' is this....how do I get her to sleep without feeding?
    I know this sounds crazy, and I'm not trying to impose a sleep or feed schedule on a newborn here or do sleep training at this point.I just want to know what others do when their newborn is tired and needs to fall asleep?I admit I'm beginning to fall into the habit of feeding her when she's tired mostly because she frantically looks for it and won"t accept a soother or anything else. But my nipples are getting sore, it doesn't always make her sleep and tbh, I also have a toddler.Also I feel she eats, then falls asleep, and wakes up chock full of wind later, which can result in a lot of crying.
    I know as a second time mum, this should seem obvious to me, but the thing is that first time I was in hospital for a couple of weeks after the birth, and when I got home,I hadn't a clue and was a bit traumatised and we endured hours of crying every evening due to reflux.So I haven't really got anything 'normal' to compare to.
    Has anyone any tips to help a sleepy newborn settle without feeding all the time??

So happy for you that it's going well this time around, you must be delighted.

I wouldn't worry about the feeding to sleep becoming a 'bad' habit - instead look at it as a very handy tool when you need it.

For the times when you don't want to feed to sleep for whatever reason, have you thought of trying a sling? They let baba cuddle up to you, and if you're busy with the toddler, the activity rocks them to sleep. And if you need to you can always pop the nipple out without disturbing either whatever you're doing with toddler or taking baby out of carrier.

If your nipples are getting sore that's a different thing and Lansinoh or multimam compresses might help. I found alternating nipples to help too, to give one a break, but be careful with this as it can reduce supply if one nipple isn't fed on for hours.

• Advertisement

Feeding to sleep is normal. Breastmilk makes babies sleepy - it is designed that way! It's a good thing, not a bad thing. It is the easiest way to get a baby to sleep because it provides them with nourishment, comfort and security. I still bf my toddler to sleep.

Definitely consider investing in a sling since you have a toddler - that way your baby can feed and sleep and you have your hands free!

Also, giving a soother wouldn't be recommended - it can interfere with supply as you can miss hungry cues when they have a soother.

I also fed my baby to sleep. By about 4 months my husband had his own technique for putting her asleep so it wasn't always me putting her to sleep. I don't really see any downside of feeding to sleep. I used to worry about wind until my aunt pointed out that a baby with wind wouldn't be sleeping.

I also used a soother - but only after a few weeks when supply was established. It took ages to get her to take it but when she did I sometimes used it to get her down for day time sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I also fed my baby to sleep. By about 4 months my husband had his own technique for putting her asleep so it wasn't always me putting her to sleep.

Sorry to go a bit off topic here - but could you share your husbands technique? I'm currently the only one who can put our 5 mnth old down to sleep because she likes to nurse to sleep. Thanks

Ok that's great thanks.My first little one is a good sleeper, but had silent reflux.Because of that, the link between bottle and sleep was no good, we had to hold her up after feeds so she could never really sleep straight after a bottle.So she learned how to sleep herself quite soon.I was just afraid that I'd start a habit that I couldn't stop with this one.Also she doesn't actually always go to sleep after a feed, as I said I can end up in a cycle of feeding her to sleep, then she lies down and has wind or reflux, has to be taken up again, wants more milk, and so on.I'm beginning to kind of see a pattern though, that seems to happen in the afternoons when shes been awake a while, so at least I can expect it. I do have a sling also, just holding off using it for a few days because still recovering from the birth and my back and stomach muscles are a bit weak and sore.
    Thanks for the help, it's such a learning process.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

Hi

I'm looking for some advice as I've reached a point where I'm considering throwing in the towel and switching to bottle feeding. I've been breast feeding for 3.5 weeks now but my baby is constantly hungry. For example since 4am this morning I've fed him every hour or so, for maybe 20-30 minutes each time, each time he gets sleepy and stops feeding by himself so I think he's full but it's not long before he starts crying for more. For his night feeds he is the other extreme, I'll try to feed him and it may take up to two hours for him to feed for just 20 minutes. He'll feed for may be 2 or 3 minutes then fall asleep or come off the breast like he is full, I try to rouse him with tickles, removing his babygro etc. By the time I manage to feed him and put him back in his cot my husband is getting up for work exhausted while I'll only another hour or two of sleep before our baby looks for more.

I have spoken to my GP and friends who have breastfed and all I get is the standard answer of "it's very tough for the first few weeks but it's worth it" or that it's a growth spurt. I've reached a point where I'm questioning if it is as I'm so tired that there's moments where I'm not enjoying my little baby, every time I hold him it's for a feed, the minute he finishes I put him down or my husband takes him to give me a break. I'm going to try and get through this week breastfeeding but if it doesn't improve I may just give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Hi

I'm looking for some advice as I've reached a point where I'm considering throwing in the towel and switching to bottle feeding. I've been breast feeding for 3.5 weeks now but my baby is constantly hungry. For example since 4am this morning I've fed him every hour or so, for maybe 20-30 minutes each time, each time he gets sleepy and stops feeding by himself so I think he's full but it's not long before he starts crying for more. For his night feeds he is the other extreme, I'll try to feed him and it may take up to two hours for him to feed for just 20 minutes. He'll feed for may be 2 or 3 minutes then fall asleep or come off the breast like he is full, I try to rouse him with tickles, removing his babygro etc. By the time I manage to feed him and put him back in his cot my husband is getting up for work exhausted while I'll only another hour or two of sleep before our baby looks for more.

I have spoken to my GP and friends who have breastfed and all I get is the standard answer of "it's very tough for the first few weeks but it's worth it" or that it's a growth spurt. I've reached a point where I'm questioning if it is as I'm so tired that there's moments where I'm not enjoying my little baby, every time I hold him it's for a feed, the minute he finishes I put him down or my husband takes him to give me a break. I'm going to try and get through this week breastfeeding but if it doesn't improve I may just give up.

It's very normal for the first few weeks to do nothing but feed, and feed and feed some more. Your little one is establishing your supply by feeding all the time. Nature is just great! And your friends are right... It could well be a growth spurt- there's one around 3 weeks I think. Have you got older kids that need your attention- if so, that is tough, and don't be afraid to ask people for help with them, or to send them to minder, off with grandparents, dad, friends- anyone at all. Don't worry about house work, it'll all be still there whenever someone gets around to it. Any help you have, ask them to make dinners for the freezer. You should make sure you've a comfy seat, with plenty snacks/drinks close at hand, and sit and enjoy your baby.
    After the first six weeks, it does settle down a bit- my second boy is 4 months, and feeds every three hours or so during the day, and he's super efficient, it only takes him 5 min or so. Formula seems easier now, but washing, sterilising bottles and making them up is quite time consuming!
    Well done, and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Hi

Hollymartins sounds like you are doing great. Congrats on your little one.
    Have you contacted cuidiu or la leche league they are amazing for support and advice. You can just ring one of the BF counsellors from cuidiu and if they don't answer then ring the next one on the list. They are there to help. Or if you could get out to one of the meetings and meet other mums I always found that good to know other people are going through similar things. And get some tips maybe on how to survive the first few weeks.

For night time if baby falls asleep would you just let him sleep and then when he wakes feed him. If he was full term and is gaining weight nicely and has lots of wet and dirty nappies then I think just let him sleep at night until he wakes to feed.

I found the first 4-6 weeks tough. Try and have food in the fridge prepared (get hubby it family to help here) cause you just don't have time to prepare and cook meals. I used to get hubby to drop up brekkie before he left even if I ate it cold at least I had a meal when I got up. Flask of tea too. Best of luck but sounds like you are doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I know it's easy to say rather than do, but never give up on a bad day. For the first 6 weeks it feels like all you do is feed and as much as you love that newborn you get resentful of being a cow, for the sake of another word!

But then that passes and suddenly there's this switch, they feed quicker, go for longer between feeds and you suddenly get smiles and movements back to make up for all of this work.

If this is your first just put your feet up and work through it. Box sets and snacks. And if you do keep going you'll look back in a few weeks and forget how hard it was!

I breastfed both of mine for 18 months and it was the best thing I could do for them, yes, it meant more work for me in those early days but once it was established I valued that time when they needed just me. All I hear now is my 2 year old saying "I do it myself!"

Sorry to go a bit off topic here - but could you share your husbands technique? I'm currently the only one who can put our 5 mnth old down to sleep because she likes to nurse to sleep. Thanks

I had to ask him because I hadn't a clue and he hasn't a clue what he did at that age either. She is 2.5 years now and you really do forget all this stuff. I do remember he was really determined and I would sit on my hands if she was fussy for a while with him.

Hi

Hollymartins I feel exactly the same and I'm only ten days at it.I just let her wake herself at night but it's driving me nuts otherwise.

I know it's not much help, but I just wanted you to know you're not the only one feeling this way.I contacted Cuidiu today and hope to get some help from them but I feel like I'm hanging on by my fingernails every other hour of the day.

Hi

I've definitely been there. For the first few weeks I thought I was an absolute martyr for breastfeeding. I thought people feeding older babies and toddlers were absolutely cracked to martyr themselves for so long. I used to sit feeding and googling the benefits of breastfeeding to keep me going. By week 6 I was convinced I hated motherhood, I had reached my limit. Then by week 8 I was telling friends that I'd feed for a year. In the end I fed her for 18 months.

I think nobody really tells you before hand that the first couple of months are ALL about feeding. It's all you do. And it's what your baby needs most at this point from you - comfort and food, all wrapped up in one. It's also easy to start to think bottle feeding would solve everything but, from what I can see, nobody would describe their first 6 weeks as a mother enjoyable! It's really hard anyway and if you weren't sat there feeding them, you'd be sat there holding them anyway. Tiny babies are exhausting. Apparently, there first smile around 6 weeks is strategically planned so Parents don't give up on them altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

Thank you for all the advice :) When a baby gets through the first 6-8 weeks and their feeds become more efficient how do you know that they're actually full? I mean my guy may only feed for a 5 minutes before popping off the breast but I know that's not enough to fill him so I try to get him to have more. Is it just a case of tracking his nappies and if he's still producing plenty then he's getting enough food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

You might want to make sure you're winding the baby. Sometimes, they can think they're full if they have air in their tummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

How do you know it's not enough to fill him though? They'll let you know if they're still hungry! My one year old will unlatch and I think he's done, then he'll turn back just as I've fixed myself up and start again, so you don't ever know for definite that they've had enough. Once you're feeding on demand though that isn't an issue once they're growing/having dirty nappies, as they can "top up" whenever they want.

Thank you for all the advice :) When a baby gets through the first 6-8 weeks and their feeds become more efficient how do you know that they're actually full? I mean my guy may only feed for a 5 minutes before popping off the breast but I know that's not enough to fill him so I try to get him to have more. Is it just a case of tracking his nappies and if he's still producing plenty then he's getting enough food?

You just follow your baby's lead by feeding on demand. Some babies also feed very quickly while other babies take their time and have longer feeding sessions. There's no one size fits all when it comes to breastfeeding. Just track his nappies and you'll know if he's getting enough! Also, trust your body. Your body already grew your baby inside you. It is also able to provide the nutrition in the right amounts for your baby. Just let your baby have unrestricted boob access and he'll get enough. If suddenly he starts feeding around the clock, it's because of a growth spurt, not that you don't have enough milk.

• Advertisement

My milk seems to have fully come in the the last two days and my baby is gulping.She had terrible wind last night (I could hear the milk gurgling into her tummy as she drank and she spluttered a bit during the first few mouthfuls) Is there any way to get her to slow down a bit and reduce the wind? Since she's so small still, obviously there will be some wind but if I can help it more during a feed, I'd like to

You might have a fast let down - perhaps if you try just before a feed to hand express a little off and then offer the boob? That might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Yes it sounds like the letdown. I have this still with my 6 month old, sometimes the letdown is very strong and causes her to gulp air or splutter. Can you feel the letdown i.e. the milk starting to flow? If so, you could maybe unlatch for a few seconds and let it soak into a cloth, then latch baby on again when the letdown is subsiding. That seems to work for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

hi all does anyone know if the breastfeeding clinic in limerick maternity on tuesdays is just for newborns or any age? i've a 3 month old

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

Hi all,
    My baby is just over a month old. I'm ebf and so far it's going well.
    Ive been feeding on demand up to now but I really want to start spacing out feeds and trying to establish some kind of routine or at least have a couple of hours between feeds so I can just start to feel more like me again.
    Sometimes it get 4hours...sometimes baby wants back on after 15 minutes since lst feed ended...it can be exhausting.
    My milk is well established i have really good supply and baby is piling the weight on so basically my Q is has anyone worked out a scheduled feeding plan or how l By should I be trying for between feeds.
    Thinking of starting on 2 hours minimum and going from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

guideanna wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Ive been feeding on demand up to now but I really want to start spacing out feeds and trying to establish some kind of routine or at least have a couple of hours between feeds so I can just start to feel more like me again.
    Sometimes it get 4hours...sometimes baby wants back on after 15 minutes since lst feed ended...it can be exhausting.
    My milk is well established i have really good supply and baby is piling the weight on so basically my Q is has anyone worked out a scheduled feeding plan or how l By should I be trying for between feeds.

I know it can be hard but your baby is still very young. I think the best thing would be to continue feeding on demand as you are. Eventually as your baby gets older, he/she will settle into a routine of their own. Even at that though, it will change often as they grow and needs change. For example, around the 2 month mark my daughter fed every 2 hours, apart from early evening when it was every hour. Then she'd settle after that. When she got older, she moved to feeding every 3 hours or so.
    It is tiring but if possible, try not to get caught up in routines. It really works best when it's led by baby. If you start restricting feeds your baby may just get upset and that will be more tiring on you. Would you consider expressing and having someone give a bottle to give you some relief?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

dorito92 wrote: »
    hi all does anyone know if the breastfeeding clinic in limerick maternity on tuesdays is just for newborns or any age? i've a 3 month old

Any age :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

guideanna wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a four month old, and I still feed on demand. I know you might like to establish a routine, but I'd be inclined to follow baby's lead. Things do start to even out after 6 weeks or so, and you'll see little patterns emerge.
    Today I fed at 6.30am (ish- I'm always a bit hazy with the night feed times!!), 10.45 am, 2.30pm, 4.30pm, 5.30pm and 8.30pm. There'll be one more feed now before bed. There's been extra night feeds lately (I think because of the 4mth developmental leap), but Prior to that, he was sleeping 10pm to 5am.
    This is my second baby, and I know the other one was roughly 3 hrly.
    The first 6 weeks are intense, but that does settle. I know in this house, when he wants to feed, I would try and hold off- I couldn't listen to the racket!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Guidanna

My advice is to accept the regular feeds rather than fight them. Sleep when you can, eat when you can. Eventually you will get out for some me time when he is a little older. Find some box sets and some nice food that's easy to nibble on. It's tough but it's time you'll never get back either. My toddler is so active now, you'd never know he was glued to me for his first 4 months!

A BF support group is good because u can get out and about and meet people similar to you and also continue feeding there. Same with a baby massage group or similar.

One tip I've just remembered though is if baby has just had a good feed they may go for a sleep in the buggy giving you time for a walk / sit on a bench / go for a coffee xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Stretching out feeds is just a "nicer" way of saying let baby go hungry for a while imo. My son is 12.5 months, 1 year old, and still feeds 20 mins after a feed sometimes, other times he goes 4 hours, other rare times he might go 6-7 without. Your baby is still very little and dependant on just milk, I wouldn't be trying to set definite feeding times, it will only be stressful on you both.

Advertisement