Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VR Headsets In Dunnes 29.99

Options
  • 13-03-2016 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Anyone get a look at these yet, was in childers road dunnes last nite, and staff were demoing these for customers, was in a rush, but had a quick look.
    They're called VR Vision, and build quality looks good.
    Might get them tonite.
    Any boardsie get a proper look...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Hi op, just wondering if you picked these up? Was tempted to get them yesterday but decided to wait for opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

I got one on ebay awhile back (about 20 euro) and it's a nice experiment. No where near the quality of the oculus rift but that is to be expected. Works best on phones with a large screen. I tried a 5 inch nexus 5 and a 5.5inch Xiaomi redmi note3 and obviously the 5.5inch was a better experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

whats the best android cinema app/video player for Vr sets ??. want to watch a full 3d movie on it

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Seen one of these yesterday. Had to double back because I thought I was seeing things! They had it on a mannequin and everything. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭✭banie01

PTH2009 wrote: »
    whats the best android cinema app/video player for Vr sets ??. want to watch a full 3d movie on it

I quite like Cardboard cinema. Free and lots of options to tweak to get a screen size/experience you like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Can you only watch content via an app? What about watching a movie from Kodi on it? Some repos will have 3D movie links. Would that work?
    Also are these compatible with most phones? I have a LG G3

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭breeno

Did anybody pick one of these up at all? Any thoughts etc? I'm tempted to pick one up to dip my toes in the vr world!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

breeno wrote: »
    Did anybody pick one of these up at all? Any thoughts etc? I'm tempted to pick one up to dip my toes in the vr world!

I picked a pair up, was curious like yourself only problem I found was no action button so that rules out a lot of games.

At €30 give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

No action button?! That means it's really just a 360 video viewer so. Or a VR headset to the degree that a 'hoverboard' hovers :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Anybody else tried these out?

I wonder, is there little rubber adhesive strips included in the box?

Sometimes these are needed to give some smartphones a lift off the hard plastic slide case, due to button placement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Anybody else tried these out?

I wonder, is there little rubber adhesive strips included in the box?

Sometimes these are needed to give some smartphones a lift off the hard plastic slide case, due to button placement

The one I bought off ebay (looks to be the same model) came with 3 padded foam stickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I picked one up. It has the rubber strips . no action buttons it. Couldn't find much decent vr content in the play store other than a demo/trailer for insidious 3. That was cool. Most everything else is rubbish. Might try watching a 3d movie on it.

I've picked one up. Have never experienced VR before, but have been mad interested. Hoping it works well

Can you watch 2d stuff on them? like Netflix

Can you watch 2d stuff on them? like Netflix

Not that I've seen. Netflix isn't optimised for a headset. The screen would have to be split in two to be visible through the two eye pieces properly.

There are some cool cinema apps though, that play back 2d content that you would have saved locally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I picked one up. It has the rubber strips . no action buttons it. Couldn't find much decent vr content in the play store other than a demo/trailer for insidious 3. That was cool. Most everything else is rubbish. Might try watching a 3d movie on it.

This is a good vr demo
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shakingearthdigital.vrsecardboard

Sisters and Chair in a room are decent
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.otherworld.Sisters
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RyanBousfield.AChairInARoom

This rollercoaster is ok
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fibrum.roallercoastervr

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tippguy2

crap

tippguy2 wrote: »
    crap

Fantastic contribution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

any one who purchased this give us a update?

how is it for just watching 360 video on youtube?

might get one just to mess round with not expecting much, was going to order google cardboard but may just get this to save shipping time.

Casshern88 wrote: »
    any one who purchased this give us a update?

how is it for just watching 360 video on youtube?

might get one just to mess round with not expecting much, was going to order google cardboard but may just get this to save shipping time.

It works relatively well. Head tracking isn't 1:1 but then again, that could be down to my phone.

There are some great 360 videos on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Was going to buy the new htc veve VR headset but the price is over 900 Euro. No thanks

I like virtual reality but phone battery's are not good enough for constant use. I bought a good cinema app but phone gets so hot when using it

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Was going to buy the new htc veve VR headset but the price is over 900 Euro. No thanks

I like virtual reality but phone battery's are not good enough for constant use. I bought a good cinema app but phone gets so hot when using it

I see Huawei are soon going to through their hat into the mix with a headset, but it will most likely work with their phones only.

I had the Huawei Ascent G7, and the screen is only 720P, so when i'm using the Dunnes headset, the picture is not very good, almost like it's smeared with vaseline!

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

i decide to go and buy an "I am cardboard" rather than this, seems to be get decent reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/v2-0-AM-CARDBOARD%C2%AE-CARDBOARD-KIT-Yellow/dp/B00YF601RW?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭corkie

Advertisement