Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hmmmm, my little one is 4 months and still feeding on demand. I couldnt say how many feeds she gets in a 24 hour period. Should I be counting feeds or tying to get a routine going?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hmmmm, my little one is 4 months and still feeding on demand. I couldnt say how many feeds she gets in a 24 hour period. Should I be counting feeds or tying to get a routine going?

If you jot down the times over a few days, you might find that there is a loose enough routine the baby is doing already.

I nearly lost my sh!t trying to introduce a routine one day - I got until midday and it all went out the window. :pac: Buuttt, after a couple of days of jotting down feeds and sleeps, I found out that the baby already did have a pattern of sorts so I planned my day loosely around that, and we winged it during the growth spurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

It's normal for a breastfed baby to feed on demand. No need really to try and get a routine going - 4 months is still very young.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Help please I am finding breastfeeding very tough. My daughter is almost 9 weeks. I also have a 22 month old who I breastfed for over eight months. When I was feeding her sister I was more driven by routine - id feed her every two hours regardless of whether she was looking for it or not. This generally meant she would wake every two to three hours for a feed at night. With my newborn I decided to just go by her and for a long time this was working for me. She basically fed all day. This was tough to manage with my older daughter but the payoff was I got a five hour or so stretch at night....until around a week ago. She now won't sleep unless there is a boob in her mouth. She falls asleep on me which means she hasn't brought wind up. She wakes up soon afterwards and is fussy - because of the wind - she either farts or burps which upsets her allot, then i feed her which calms her down, then she conks on the boob again. I can't sleep like this, I'm not comfortable co sleeping, but in any case she doesn't want to sleep beside me but literally on me :( she got her two month injections two days ago which has made things worse. I gave her calpol as she has had a temp, this brings down her temp but doesn't help with the sleep. I don't want to give a bottle at night because when I started weaning her sister by giving formula she soon had zero interest in breastfeeding. I think my feeding on demand has resulted in feeding being the only source of comfort for her. She won't take a soother. She is just coming out of a leap. Anyone have any advice? I'm soo tired which just means I'm not giving her or her sister my best :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

@detoxkid My little girl was like your baby for the first few months too. She'd fall asleep on me. Sometimes we'd successfully transfer her to her crib and sometimes she'd wake. This phase passed though and she got better at handling the wind at around 12 weeks. You're doing a great job and it must be tough with your 22m old. Can you read books to the toddler while you're feeding or get them to show you things while sitting beside you? No two babies are the same and it probably was just luck you had a first baby who slept initially. I'm not sure there is anything you can do to help your new baby sleep for longer at the moment. You could try transferring the baby to the crib/cot that has been heated by a hot water bottle or even trying to have your scent on a muslin cloth and have the baby transferred with this. I hope this phase passes for you soon and keep up the good work. I'll be in the same boat as you with two later on this year. There'll be similar age gap too so hoping I'll be able to cope at the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

bovril wrote: »
    @detoxkid My little girl was like your baby for the first few months too. She'd fall asleep on me. Sometimes we'd successfully transfer her to her crib and sometimes she'd wake. This phase passed though and she got better at handling the wind at around 12 weeks. You're doing a great job and it must be tough with your 22m old. Can you read books to the toddler while you're feeding or get them to show you things while sitting beside you? No two babies are the same and it probably was just luck you had a first baby who slept initially. I'm not sure there is anything you can do to help your new baby sleep for longer at the moment. You could try transferring the baby to the crib/cot that has been heated by a hot water bottle or even trying to have your scent on a muslin cloth and have the baby transferred with this. I hope this phase passes for you soon and keep up the good work. I'll be in the same boat as you with two later on this year. There'll be similar age gap too so hoping I'll be able to cope at the beginning.

Thanks for the reply Bovril. I've tried heating the mattress and the blanket and she is not fooled. She screama the house down and wakes everyone invluding the neighbours (probably ;) ) I'm heartened to hear that your los started sleeping and winding a bit better at 12 weeks. Sleep makes all the difference. Congrats on your own news. It is tough at the beginning managing two but gets way way easier as time goes on. In the beginning it was all about managing how my toddler was dealing with things and so apart from the constant feeding baby rarely got a look in! Reading does work well, also feeding her on the ground beside my toddler so she felt more part of things. I grab baby and my water, she grabs her baby doll and beaker of water ;) i anyway best of luck And thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Hello!
    I'm pregnant with my second baby due May. I'm 100% going to breastfeed this time but I have a few questions if anyone can help.

Should I buy a breast pump?
    How long will my milk last for bottle feeding at night?
    Should I not bottle feed at night?
    Can I swap between formula and breast milk easy enough?
    And iv heard horror stories about boobs going to s*it after breastfeeding,so should I use my good boob or my bad boob haha.

Thanks for reading,looking forward to the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

ja1986 wrote: »

there's a breasfeeding support thread in newborn and toddlers section :) they're very helpful over there and you'll get all experienced Mothers and not just pregnant ladies there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Hello!
    I'm pregnant with my second baby due May. I'm 100% going to breastfeed this time but I have a few questions if anyone can help.

And iv heard horror stories about boobs going to s*it after breastfeeding,so should I use my good boob or my bad boob haha.

I see no harm in having a pump. I used to express in the afternoon and put it in the fridge for the late night feeds and it lasted fine.
    I mixed and matched formula and breast milk - I was never going to do full on breast feeding though for a number of reasons.
    Your boobs could go to bits after feeding, or after pregnancy or just due to getting older. If their appearance bothers you enough you can always get something done about that at a later date if you want to.
    Babooshka wrote: »
    there's a breasfeeding support thread in newborn and toddlers section :) they're very helpful over there and you'll get all experienced Mothers and not just pregnant ladies there!

If you're looking for good practical real life experience and advice that it certainly the best place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

ja1986 wrote:

I'd personally hold off for the first while. It's not recommend to express in the first 6 weeks as it can affect supply and it's probably better to research types of pumps when you know how often you are going to express.
    Expressed milk in the fridge can last for a few days. You can freeze it too and it will last longer. It can be defrosted easily.
    I only breastfed day and night. If you start bottle feeding at night your body will stop producing milk to meet those feeds. There are people who successfully combine feed so they can advise better.

Milk is produced by your body on a demand basis. If you replace certain feeds with formula your body will stop producing milk at those times. You can't say for example use formula for 3-4 feeds some days and next day breastfeed at those times. As I said I never combined formula and breastfeeding so I can't give examples of how it actually works. You'll also need to use both boobs for feeding. It would be rare you'd only use one. Definitely post your questions on the bf support thread mentioned above. Also try and get to a pre natal class on breastfeeding if your hospital runs one.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies ,will try and move post over there.thanks so much x

Thanks for the info that's interesting about the night feed and supply. What if I fall asleep doing it!! Is there any mod online here that can tell me how to move this thread? Thank you x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Thanks for the info that's interesting about the night feed and supply. What if I fall asleep doing it!! Is there any mod online here that can tell me how to move this thread? Thank you x

Welcome! I can't advise re:combo feeding, because I've never done it. as already mentioned, be aware that your body produces milk on a supply and demand basis, so it could affect your production. If there's a breastfeeding preparation class in your area, I'd highly recommend doing one, or even find a breastfeeding support group and go along before baby arrives- there'll be plenty people there who can tell you what to expect, so you're prepared for "normal" breastfeeding behaviour! Not that there's not plenty advice here, but it will be of benefit to you to have a support structure in place!
    As regards the pump, bottles, steriliser etc- I wouldn't bother until you know what you're going to do. I have a press full of bottles that Are basically unused, and a steriliser that has never come out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I found the pump really handy, even if to relieve fullness if the baby has overslept, or if you want to nip out for more than a few hours without the baby.
    Everyone is different, and I expressed from quite early on, and it had no adverse affect on my supply. And himself took the boob/bottle... whatever was going with no problems switching in between the two. A decent pump is expensive though, you can rent pumps at the start to see how you get on.

Definitely get yourself to an antenatal breastfeeding class! And try to read up as much as you can before the arrival of the baby. You will be doing a lot of trial & error/learning on the job as you go! And sometimes a lot of the advice you hear only really makes sense when you're actually feeding.
    Your PHN will have a breastfeeding support group that meets every few weeks, it's nice to meet other breastfeeding mamas in the same area.

Regarding sleeping, you probably won't fall asleep - esp in the early days when you need to burp the critters after (though breastfed babies generally need less burping) Great info on co-sleeping here: http://cosleeping.nd.edu/

My boobs still look pretty good through their two years of breastfeeding! The only thing that has changed, my nipples are more or less permanently erect.
    Age, pregnancy, weight, size and other genetic factors are probably more of a concern.

Two websites which are great are:
    http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/
    www.kellymom.com

Best of luck!

Hello!

Don't buy a pump unless you actually need one at a later stage. You shouldn't pump anyway prior to 6 weeks unless medically necessary until your supply is established.

The website Kellymom has lots of good info regarding expressed milk and how to store it correctly in the fridge, etc.

You shouldn't bottle feed at night, to be honest, because unless you then pump in place of that feed at that time in the middle of the night, your breasts will stop producing milk for that feed. Breastfeeding works on a supply and demand basis.

No, you cannot swap between formula and breastfeeding "easy enough" - if you give formula for a while and then try to go back to breastfeeding, you will probably encounter problems.

Breasts change because of pregnancy, not breastfeeding.

The first 6 weeks are hard going and you will be feeding 24/7 but 6 weeks is a short time and once you get over that 6 weeks, it'll be so easy. Go to a good breastfeeding antenatal class, get the name of a lactation consultant in your area, read a breastfeeding book (7 natural laws of breastfeeding is good) and that'll help give you some good preparation for the times ahead. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi all,
    I am still going with the BF'ing 5 months on, which is a great personal achievement for me, but unfortunately I got an infection (mastitis) in one boob over Easter and am still on penicillin for it. I think it's more or less gone now, but my milk production seems to be down - I have noticed that it takes longer for baby to get the milk to flow - sometimes I don't feel the 'let-down' at all, like I used to - and also my boobs aren't leaking at all - something that they did constantly before the infection.

The thing is, I am not sure if it's because of the mastitis or because she may not need as much now and it's naturally reducing?

When I had the mastitis, I continued to feed from that boob as much as possible, as advised by the doc, so I don't know why my supply seems less...

- have any of you had experience with mastitis and did it affect your supply?

thanks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

If baby is still having lots of wet nappies and seems content I wont worry about it.

My 5 months, my boobs had stopped leaking and I no longer got the let down feeling (thank god, I hated that feeling).

Plus your baby is 5 months old, so this the start of them beginning to feed a little less as you will be introducing solids soon.

I really need to wean my 23 month old. I remember reading somewhere about a book then everyone recommend, I think it was a Dr. Jay???? Does anyone know what I am talking about??

L is a boob monster and we have been talking about it with him for months. When I him tell that there will be no "this" soon, as he is a big boy, he goes mental, shaking his head and screeching (he refused to say the word "no"). So he knows what I mean.

Distraction doesn't work, he gets very angry pulling at my top and hitting me if I say no. I really want a gentle approach, I don't this to be stressful on either of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Dr Jay Gordon? I know he does a night weaning method not sure about weaning fully though... Good luck with it :) my two weaned v easily but were a bit younger at 15 months (well one weaned on a bout of tonsilitis in hospital. Not a good idea).

cyning wrote: »
    Dr Jay Gordon? I know he does a night weaning method not sure about weaning fully though... Good luck with it :) my two weaned v easily but were a bit younger at 15 months (well one weaned on a bout of tonsilitis in hospital. Not a good idea).

that's him. :) We night weaned a few months ago, that was easy enough.

he has tonsillitis a few weeks ago and he fed more! A friends little boy weaned when he Foot and Mouth. Mine fed more then he had Foot and Mouth.

I am starting to think my mother is right and he will still be feeding when he is in college LOL :D:D

I am leaving him for 2 nights for the first time next week, I am hoping this is the start (thought that a few weeks ago too )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

My son is almost one and still feeds 5+ times a day, countless times at night! He eats loads too, and takes proper big milk feeds, not always just for comfort. My mother in law asked is he still feeding and that it's only once a day now yes?...ha, no! I can't imagine him even dropping feeds any time soon never mind weaning at the rate he's going.

Still feeding here! We're over the 1.5 year mark now, total boob monster! It's a godsend when my toddler is feeling unwell and doesn't want to eat solid food. At least I know there's plenty of nutrition in boob milk :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm re-joining this thread! I breastfed my first child for 11 months. Now I have a 3 week old and breastfeeding is going so well! It hasn't hurt at all (I had badly cracked nipples the first time) and she's putting on plenty of weight (it was complicated for my son to begin with).
    The only issue we have is that she is very windy and spits up a lot. (I never needed a bib for my son, we use several a day now!)
    Does anyone have experience of a windy breastfed baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Congrats Ivy. Could it be a fast letdown? I found on my first that my letdown was very fast and he used to spit up a lot. I'm not sure what I did about it. Probably by the time I realised he'd grown out of it but look up kellymom for tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Congrats Ivy. Could it be a fast letdown? I found on my first that my letdown was very fast and he used to spit up a lot. I'm not sure what I did about it. Probably by the time I realised he'd grown out of it but look up kellymom for tips
    Thanks. I think that might be it, because she has a very fast sucking rhythm. I'll have to look up ways to slow it down because it's not just something I can slow down automatically! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think hand expressing the first little bit before latching helps and feeding on demand which you're probably doing anyway. On my son I was trying to establish a 3 hour routine (yah right!) so by the time he latched he was ravenous and it definitely made it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

I am wondering is it possible to overfeed a breastfed baby? My boy is two weeks old, he's gained plenty of weight but he has become very windy in the last few days and following a feed this morning he threw up all his milk :( He hasn't had a dirty nappy all weekend (although plenty of wet ones) I feed him every three-four hours during the night and in the morning but then my breasts become so sore and heavy, from what I presume is engorgement, that I increased the frequency of his afternoon/evening feeds to help ease my discomfort.

I thought he was feeding so much due to the 14 day growth spurt but I don't like to think that his stomach is so full and I'm forcing him to take more. In the first week I was conscious of keeping him awake while he fed but now I'm wondering if he falls asleep while feeding should I just leave him be? Any advice would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

It's not possible to overfeed if you are feeding on demand. My first was an exorcist style puker, after every feed until she was 6 months. No issues with wind etc she just spit up a lot

There's a growth spurt around this time and perhaps baby took in more than needed but I wouldn't worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Girls, I need your advice. I'm sitting in my hospital bed with my nearly 2 day old daughter and I'm breastfeeding her. My supply is plentiful and when my milk comes in, it'll be fantastic but my daughter has a habit of biting on my nipple. Her latch is great but it's just aggressive. I'm using lanolin, compresses, colostrum and letting the air get to my nipples but the pain at feeding time is excruciating. Is there anything I can do? I hand expressed this eve and fed her by syringe and although she took it, it didn't give her the same satisfaction and I still had to offer boob :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I know people say if the latch is correct it shouldn't be painful but with both of mine it was for the first few weeks, with my second I had fed my first for 16 months prior so even that didn't help.

Definitely get the latch checked if you're still in hospital, I wouldn't hand express, I found it made the problem worse. It's also day 2 when baby will feed non stop and your nipples will feel it. I'd continue as you're doing, congrats

Advertisement