Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Cooking Club Week 10: Lamb doner kebabs with salad and sauces

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Chucked some on a pizza today - perfection!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made these today, both with lamb and chicken and they were amazing! We stuffed our faces :)
    I bought 2lbs of minced lamb and made two little loaves so we have the second one sliced and frozen for easy kebabs next time. Thanks Padraig Mor, we'll be having these regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Made this tonight, it was delicious. Made it with beef and pork mince with mini pittas.
    I put some franks sauce in with the red sauce, worked really well. Thanks op!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Kurumba wrote: »
    Made this tonight, it was delicious. Made it with beef and pork mince with mini pittas.
    I put some franks sauce in with the red sauce, worked really well. Thanks op!

Sweet baby Jesus! That looks savage

It was savage! I was a bit weary about the salad and stuff but it's really worth the effort to make it. The whole dish is fabulous. The pics look huge but the pittas were only the mini ones, I'm still stuffed.
    (I may or may not have also eaten the crispy bits of meat at either end of tomorrow's loaf :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Made the chicken ones tonight.

kebab_zps0gpsrjdi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Tried this on Sunday, but instead of punching down the mince, I threw an onion into the food processor, blitzed that to finely chopped, scooped it out into a muslin and squeezed out the juice, then put the dry onion back into the food processor with the lamb mince and spices and blitzed it all down to a kind of meat paste; put that into a loaf tin and packed it down hard and baked it off for a half-hour, then drained the fat, and tipped out the meat onto a tray that had been in the oven with the loaf tin and finished off the meat on that for another half-hour so all the sides were caramelised. You get a slightly tighter grain that way (you can also take the meat while it's resting, drop it back in the loaf tin and put some weight on it to tighten up the grain even more) and that lets you slice it thinner more easily.

The red sauce has me kicking myself for not figuring it out btw, so damn simple :D

Absolutely delicious btw, have to make it again this weekend :D

I think the chef from my work canteen used this recipe today! Was delicious if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Excellent recipe OP, went down a treat, a picture of it pre sauce..

Pzy97qal.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

I worked in a diner that made kebabs for a few years while in college.

For the lettuce mix, we used white cabbage, red cabbage and chopped lettuce

For the white sauce, we used buckets of mayo with fresh parsley and loads of chopped fresh garlic.

The red sauces were of two different types- tomatoe and onion and tomatoe and chilli.

I used to put the cabbage/lettuce mix on the bottom with garlic sauce and a bit of grated cheese and then pile the rest in and grated cheese on top.

I make chicken kebabs at home for the children and they love them, especially with cheese. But would use low fat cheese, low fat mayo and brown pitta. I add peppers and onions and mix that with a BBQ sauce and add the chicken. The contrast between the BBQ and garlic mayo is just yummy.

You can get batches of pitta bread that will just fall apart, I remember being stuck on kebabs on a night and nearly every pack had to be throw away.

When preparing the pitta bread, I cut it first , not the full lengtht on the pitta and pop it into the microwave or gentle toast it for a few seconds. I get a piece of kitchen roll to hold the hot pitta and open fully with tongs and stuff in lettuce immediately at the bottom so it naturally opens the whole pitta to fill up. It works for me, then did spend a few years doing it.

Must try mixing the two recipes together, great idea of how to prepare the meat and loved the comment about the pototoe peeler, real thinking there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

cassid wrote: »
    Must try mixing the two recipes together, great idea of how to prepare the meat and loved the comment about the pototoe peeler, real thinking there.

No, can't find it. What about the potato peeler? ;)

Made this again tonight. A great family favourite.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

No, can't find it. What about the potato peeler? ;)

Found it! :)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94706589&postcount=15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I tried the chicken version last night. Not as kebab like as I expected, but I really liked it and preferred it to the lamb (I'm not a great lamb eater). Suspect it will be equally scrummy in my salad today.

It's Kebab Night again here at Dizzy Towers, and once again I'm making both lamb and chicken :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

forgot to post up, made this last weekend for 6 adults (including my mother who had never before tried a kebab!!!? :eek: )and a toddler...

Doubled all ingredients, thought id have enough left for lunch next day or at least for a snack after the pub that night....whole lot devoured, not a bit left over, even the salad. Everybody loved it, great recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Finally got around to making these last night. I enjoyed them, but they were let down by the bread (store-bought pitta). The Mediterranean flatbreads that Aldi used to do would have done them a lot more justice. I know I could just make flatbreads to go with them, but it seems to kind of defeat the purpose of an otherwise lazy dinner.

11010000_10154049466207678_6043098834577642783_n.jpg?oh=2f3f5fe858f415f5ae9f64e5a4c1851b&oe=5643D639

11796462_10154049466002678_8130548074138254524_n.jpg?oh=0394f48f0dff03378b9cdaaa6414cb29&oe=565C3446

Made this again last night with beef and turkey mince. Raging i didn't get pics but will try with the leftovers tonight.
    In an effort to cut the calories I used low fat cottage cheese mashed up for the white sauce instead of mayo and yoghurt. It worked really well. Love this recipe and I had never had a kebab before!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Made this tonight with a lot of help from my girlfriend, who isn't usually a fan of kebabs. She's mad about it! Definitely one we'll make together again. Can't believe it's been 10 months since I last used this recipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

The highest honour: my pregnant wife approves.

1gnCLX8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Thinking ill make this again over the weekend....has anybody tracked down shop bought pittas or flatbreads that do the kebabs justice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Thinking ill make this again over the weekend....has anybody tracked down shop bought pittas or flatbreads that do the kebabs justice?

Somebody mentioned the other day on another thread that the Aldi-esque Mediterranean wrap is being sold in Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Feckin hell, if you saw the size of the kebab i'm after polishing, i'm an absolute glutton.

Great recipe Padraig Mor!

Had some friends over for dinner last Friday and made this again. First time doing the chicken along side and it was amazing. Struggled to find good wraps - Dunnes were out of the Mediterranean wraps - but made do with normal pittas.

Will do again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

I've been meaning to try this for a while.
    I got my lamb mince the other day but struggling for the onion and garlic powder. I've tried a few tesco/Dunne's/lidl and aldi.
    I've found onion salt and garlic granules tho. Will I be OK to use the onion salt, and just use no salt, and will the garlic granules be the same as powder or should I use a little more or less?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

.red. wrote: »
    I've been meaning to try this for a while.
    I got my lamb mince the other day but struggling for the onion and garlic powder. I've tried a few tesco/Dunne's/lidl and aldi.
    I've found onion salt and garlic granules tho. Will I be OK to use the onion salt, and just use no salt, and will the garlic granules be the same as powder or should I use a little more or less?
    Thanks.

Rock on with the onion salt I'd say, and a few pinches of garlic.

Rock on with the onion salt I'd say, and a few pinches of garlic.
    Thanks.
    Half a spoon of onion powder and a spoon of salt, what do ya reckon that would be with the onion salt? A spoon of it? 3/4 of a spoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

.red. wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Half a spoon of onion powder and a spoon of salt, what do ya reckon that would be with the onion salt? A spoon of it? 3/4 of a spoon?

I'd go with a spoon.

Tasty stuff alright. Didnt last too long.
    Thanks for the recipe.

• Advertisement

We had a kebab-fest here last night, this recipe x 4 for 8 people and as usual everyone was raving about it :)

Advertisement