Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goals for 2016?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

3.29.59 in DCM.
    Enjoy every run I get to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

2014 injured for entire year,2015 did 3 races before breaking down again, 2016 feeling good at the min so hoping to do lots of Imra races and just get through the year injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Current goal that I'm working on is a sub-30 5k. (Current PB 37.07)

Would also love to run 5 miles in under an hour.

Goal race is to PB at the WMM 10k this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Had half a plan to do the ten round numbers in increasing order - starting with 400m indoor and working up to marathon. Have not committed to it yet. Would be an interesting experiment in moving up distance even if it took more than a year. ðŸ႒

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Current goal that I'm working on is a sub-30 5k. (Current PB 37.07)

Would also love to run 5 miles in under an hour.

Goal race is to PB at the WMM 10k this summer.

If you can get the first one you won't need to worry about the other two ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I'm aiming to run at least one mile every day in 2016.
    I don't know yet what distance(s) I'll target but whatever they are I want PB's (800m excepted).

I'm going to keep a log for the whole year. If at the end of the year it's still not for me I will at least have given it a good go.

I'm a lot fitter now than I was this time last year. I am to repeat this next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Wow, some seriously fit people posting here!

43, M - just started running last summer. Goals for 2016 are to get my 5K time closer to 20 minutes that it is to 30, and to stretch 5K out to 10K. Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Gomall

Spent 8 months injured in 2015.... Just back 10 days

Goals for 2016

Stay injury free

Round numbers... ;-)

Mile 5.15 / current 5.42
    5k 19:30
    10k 40 / current 43.22
    10 miles 70 ?
    1/2 M 1.35/ current 1.44
    M 3.20 / current 3.54 (injured after 18)
    50k 4hours / current 4.38

Edit - Beer mile sub 10 without chugging ! (This could be the most difficult one)

Chivito - can you set me a 400 & 800 target ? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Ron Gomall wrote: »
    Spent 8 months injured in 2015.... Just back 10 days

Goals for 2016

Stay injury free

Round numbers... ;-)

Mile 5.15 / current 5.42
    5k 19:30
    10k 40 / current 43.22
    10 miles 70 ?
    1/2 M 1.35/ current 1.44
    M 3.20 / current 3.54 (injured after 18)
    50k 4hours / current 4.38

Edit - Beer mile sub 10 without chugging ! (This could be the most difficult one)

Chivito - can you set me a 400 & 800 target ? Cheers

I can never understand why you persist with ultras. You've got incredible power and strength which is being wasted. Get attempting shorter distances from mile down and see if there is untapped talent there. Only then can you know what targets are realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

PaulieC wrote: »
    Get the mojo back

If you find it you might let me know where it's hiding?

Although I'm pretty sure I'll find it at the bottom of this box of celebrations.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

A new year so its time for new goals.

-Get back to injury free running(hopefully sooner than later)

-Start a log here(as soon as i have something worthwhile to log)

-PB over all distances
    current PB's
    5k 19:06
    10k 40:35
    5 mile 33:35
    Half Marathon 1:28:56
    Marathon 3:18:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

5k: sub-18

5m: sub-31

10k: sub-39

10m: sub-65

HM: sub-90

M: sub-3.10

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I can never understand why you persist with ultras. You've got incredible power and strength which is being wasted. Get attempting shorter distances from mile down and see if there is untapped talent there. Only then can you know what targets are realistic.

And you should be able to hit 68ish for 10 miles Ron. Based on other targets sub 70 should be the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Gomall

And you should be able to hit 68ish for 10 miles Ron. Based on other targets sub 70 should be the goal.

That's fair comment, will make it 68 - going for all the distances in 1 calendar year will make for an interesting training plan... Will continue my slow recovery miles for 2-3 more weeks and then get stuck in, I like the notion of getting stuck into the mile as a distance because I believe the assertion that you can't go fast and long without sorting your mile time out & although I'm not fast on the flat - I get a great kick out of flying down hills like a kid !

Fingers crossed that I tick most of that list off in CY 2016 (though the 50k might be Feb 2017).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Enduro

Ron Gomall wrote: »
    I get a great kick out of flying down hills like a kid !

You should join in with the other kids and try a few IMRA races then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

1. Stay Injury free
    2. Run Rotterdam
    3. Run Dublin
    4. Qualify for Boston! need 3.55 for 2017
    5. try get a few PBs along the way

Current PBs are
    5k 23.21 from June 2013
    5m 40.09 from 2011 I think!!
    10k 49.56 from June 2013
    10m 1.27.54 from Aug 2015(MP Run)
    Half Marathon 1:48:45 from March 2013
    Marathon 3.57.47 Dublin 2012

Plenty to work on there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 brenmur

2015 was a bit of write off with niggles and injuries. Strava tells me that I ran 769 miles. So for 2016 the primary goal, besides staying injury free, is to get the mileage over 1000.

First 2 race targets are the 10 milers in Dungaravan and Ballycotton. Getting my time closer to 2014 levels rather than 2015 would be a good:

Dungarvan: 2014 = 65:25; 2015 = 71:27;
    BallyC: 2014 = 64:50; 2015 = 70:13;

After that maybe target the half marathon in Cork, sub 1:30. Hopefully with consistent running a few PBs will be collared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

10k: 37:30
    5k: 18:10

It'll take a lot more work, but I'll be very disappointed if I don't hit those targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Sandwell wrote: »
    Sub-17 5k
    Sub-36 10k
    Sub-60 10 mile
    Sub 1:20 half-marathon
    Finish top 10 in a couple of IMRA races

A top ten in IMRA races... Basically, avoid Wednesday night races and cultivate races more than a 2 hour drive from Dublin? (edit - that sounded a bit harsh but I think I meant to say getting used to winning/doing well will cultivate doing well so strategically target the easier races at first)

I would like to get fit enough to go to the uphill only trial race for the Worlds with a chance of qualifying for the team.

Uphill only gives me a chance to use cross training (cycling in my case) to build strength and also somewhat nullifies the speed advantage everyone else may have over me in the European Up+Down trial race.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Peterx wrote: »
    A top ten in IMRA races... Basically, avoid Wednesday night races and cultivate races more than a 2 hour drive from Dublin? (edit - that sounded a bit harsh but I think I meant to say getting used to winning/doing well will cultivate doing well so strategically target the easier races at first)

I would like to get fit enough to go to the uphill only trial race for the Worlds with a chance of qualifying for the team.

Uphill only gives me a chance to use cross training (cycling in my case) to build strength and also somewhat nullifies the speed advantage everyone else may have over me in the European Up+Down trial race.

Nice target there. Best of luck with it.

That's actually really good advice. I've been running almost exclusively in the Leinster League and Winter League races which do tend to have fairly deep fields. I've been talking for quite some time about trying my hand at some of the championship races and other more navigationally challenging events. I really must make that happen this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Run 2:47 in Limerick. Did first run in two week last night as was sick. 4m at 9:30 pace so think I am on track now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

Right ... new year , same goals! (2015 didn't quite pan out as expected)

1. Try and stay injury free (2015 was a disaster!)
    2. Ballycotton 10 - no time in mind, just want to get back on the road
    3. Connemara full (sub 3:40)
    4. Dublin full (Sub 3:20) (current PB is 3:27)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

I am not in shape at all in this early and wet January and I probably won't be able to run as much as I wish until September, so conservative goals for me.

#1 get rid of left Achilles niggle and get no new injury
    #2 marathon PB in Cork in June (currently 2:59:17) I'd be very happy with 2:58:xx
    #3 marathon PB in Dublin in October, a more aggressive 2:54:xx
    #4 enjoy Connemara and Dingle marathons
    #5 a PB in either 10k or half-marathon
    #6 make the most of running in France on holidays early in the mornings

See you next year little post; good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

May as well stick something down, more self-pressure to actually succeed than stuck at back of mind.

Stay injury free.

Sub 20 5K, ideally close to 19:30. Mid 21's at the minute, but also been a while.

Sub 41 10K, have a few of them pencilled in over next few months.

make a few of the club teams in Road Champ's this year.

1500 miles or so, even though going by the s/s in 1000m challenge thread has me at prediction of 2227m which is 1000ish more than 2015 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Try and dedicate more time to running. Started jogging/running for the first time last spring. Done a 10k in june 51:27 and a 5k in august in 22:25. And then life got to busy. So i really want to try get back into it and firstly go under the 50min and hopefully lower. I had really improved from april -august. So heres hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Second half of 2015 was a bit of a disaster with injury, lack of motivation, yada yada yada so for 2016:

Main Goals
    1. Give sufficient time to S&C every week
    2. Avoid injury (hopefully helped by 1)
    3. Run half marathon in <1:59:59
    4. Run, finish and most importantly ENJOY DCM16

Secondary Goals
    5. Run more races - esp 5k and 10k
    6. Improve PB for 5k and 10k
    7. Run in new places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

So glad I posted my goals for 2016 in this thread. I had to go back and remind myself of them yesterday. I recently seen a half marathon advertised for nearby where I live and thought (stupidly) "Ah sure it's just over 2 10km's back to back, sure that's do-able. I might be slow, might have to take some walking breaks, but sure I could finish it!"

Was out for 10km yesterday morn and got some cop on (during my 1hr10mins). I am going to focus on my goals for 2016. If I can achieve them this year, I will be in a better place physically and mentally to consider tackling a half next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    2016 Goals

(In no particular order)

- maintain strength and conditioning gym routine; once a week generally and twice a week in early base building phase and post-season rest period

- I have a fair collection of county medals from the last 12 months and a middling collection of provincial. The national column however, is looking a bit sad and empty. I'd like to right this with team and individual medals so:

We have an outside team chance at the national masters xc in January
    We also have a good chance at the national masters road relays in April
    And the main goal is a national medal at the masters 1500. It was won in 4:56 (I think) this year but my goal is to run 4:50 (current 5:11)

- I'd also like to qualify for the Masters International XC from the Open in October. I was 4 places off, this year's selection. Hopefully can gain those four places, and some, by next October:cool:

That's it really for 2016. Any time goals are spread out over 2016-17. I'm not sure it's feasible to aim for PBs in all distances in one twelve month period but I'll be shooting for as many as possible on the Main Thing 10 Round Numbers Table in 2016

Best of everything to everyone with theirs!

Over the moon and actually started to cry (and shake!) when I saw the team results finally calculated on Athletics Ireland this morning. It was touch and go as each of us fell short on our overall placing prediction but we did it! A national medal (bronze club team) to start the year :) I'll do a race report on my log later, was far to fecked to even contemplate it yesterday.

First goal of the year achieved!(edit oops, forgot about the 19:44 5k)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

Better late then never I guess to add my goals, current pb in brackets.

5k - sub 20 (21:50)
    10k sub 45 (45:59)
    10 miles sub 75 (76:50)
    1/2 marathon sub 1:40 (1:41)
    Marathon sub 4 hours (4:35)

They seem realistic enough compared to my current pbs but for the life of my I can't seem to push onto these targets. Most importantly though I'd like to train consistently and not force these targets, I've the whole year to achieve them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lenihankevin

First goal done..first 5k race this wkd..23.24mins. Delighted.

Advertisement