Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Driver Insults Disabled Student

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

How is one persons unsubstantiated claim about something worthy of an article? How is this news? The Indo keeping up its rag credentials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

and second trying to take the driver's photo which the driver expected to be used to shame/defame him.

I know, would he have tried to get the driver's photo printed? Anyone would be pissed off at that.

Definitely would like to hear both sides of this story!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Fukuyama wrote: »
    I must live along some magical bus corridor... every Dublin Bus driver I encounter is grand. I don't expect some phoney customer-centric cheerfulness.

Me too. 9 times out of 10 they're polite and pleasant enough for their job's purpose. You get the odd ballix but it's definitely not the rule. I never really thought about the isolation of it as a job but you make a good point there. I'm quite a chatty person so just saying hello and goodbye to hundreds of people a day would probably get to me after a while.

Then again I'm a "work from home dad" now so the only person I speak to during the day is 2 years old and my reprieve comes when I collect a 6 year old. that hasn't got to me. Nope. Not at aaaaalllll. *sobs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭ceannair06

"Disabled" and yet he was "chased" across the road ?

Sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

ceannair06 wrote: »
    "Disabled" and yet he was "chased" across the road ?

Sure.

That's just ridiculous. Being disabled doesn't mean you can't run.

There are sprints in the Special Olympics ffs.

You wanna go and tell the association all those participants aren't disabled?

• Advertisement

That's just ridiculous. Being disabled doesn't mean you can't run.

There are sprints in the Special Olympics ffs.

You wanna go and tell the association all those participants aren't disabled?

Agree that the wording on the previous posters post was poor, my brother is disabled and swims competetively. But, and I'm not an expert, I wouldn't have thought muscular distrophy sufferers would be winning many races? I thought it was quite a severe thing that drained you of energy and left you with very little power in your muscles. Is that right? Off to Google for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Agree that the wording on the previous posters post was poor, my brother is disabled and swims competetively. But, and I'm not an expert, I wouldn't have thought muscular distrophy sufferers would be winning many races? I thought it was quite a severe thing that drained you of energy and left you with very little power in your muscles. Is that right? Off to Google for me.

From Web MD;
    wrote:
    some people with MD enjoy a normal life span with mild symptoms that progress very slowly; others experience swift and severe muscle weakness and wasting, dying in their late teens to early 20s.

For the record - I don't know much about this either! Depends on the individual case it would seem from my 20 second research... and as was said, the health condition of the driver chasing plays a part :)

• Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

I just don't see them providing the same level of service as I saw whilst in the UK.

Great to see smoking and music played on speakers not tolerated there. Direct intervention numerous times put an end to this. Too many times here in my experience, it's been left up to the passengers to say something.

You might be happy with "grand," but when I'm a paying customer I expect a little more.

I haven't seen anybody smoking on a bus in bloody years, I would say it's a very very rare occurrence these days tbh.

As for the speakers thing? Generally it tends to be upstairs, being played by piss ignorant teenagers(so it's invariably the ****test music) the driver is unlikely to hear it at the volume the passengers do. Doubt there's anything against it in the Dublin bus byelaws, so not an issue for the driver. Is fcukin annoying though.

From Web MD;

For the record - I don't know much about this either! Depends on the individual case it would seem from my 20 second research... and as was said, the health condition of the driver chasing plays a part :)

Jesus! I didn't know it could be fatal! That's awful.

I retract my previous statement about him escaping the driver being implausible. We're still only getting one side but it was unfair to imply it was that far fetched on those grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I just don't see them providing the same level of service as I saw whilst in the UK.

bit hard to when they aren't funded near enough to provide that level of service, or enough to even provide a service that dublin could justify (whatever that is)
    Great to see smoking and music played on speakers not tolerated there.

really? you must be thinking of a different uk.

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    Last week one of the drivers drove right passed the bus stop, stopped a few yards down the road to let 6 or so people off. I ran up to the bus thinking the driver had obviously forgotten to stop at the bus stop, to which he closed the doors in my face and drove off. Don't know how some of these drivers get away with this sort of carry on.

because technically they are under no obligation to let you on outside the bus stop. infact they probably aren't allowed to do it. if they do fair play to them but your not entitled to expect it

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

"I'll have a ****ing good look at this now, you smart ****"

:D

I would have broke up laughing if he said that to me in a big Dub accent. So funny!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I asked him if he could see the pass.

"He then asked me to give him the pass and he turned on a light in his cab and said "I'll have a f****** good look at it now, you smart c***."
    Sounds like the driver thought he was being a smart c*** when the person asked could he see the photo (small photo unknown distance away from the driver), and the driver called him up on it.

After looking at the photo, the driver let the person on.

When the person went to leave the bus, he took a photo of the driver. The driver took offence to this, and demanded that the person delete the photo. The driver then pursued the person demanding that the person deletes his photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    Last week one of the drivers drove right passed the bus stop, stopped a few yards down the road to let 6 or so people off. I ran up to the bus thinking the driver had obviously forgotten to stop at the bus stop, to which he closed the doors in my face and drove off.
    If the driver thinks that the bus is too full, they allow people off the bus in this manner to ensure that no more people get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You see junkies waving bits of corn flakes packets at bus drivers and getting on because the drivers does'nt have'nt the balls to stop them, then you get the odd driver who compensates by acting the the little dictator with someone that does'nt look like they cause them any trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Bambi wrote: »
    You see junkies waving bits of corn flakes packets at bus drivers and getting on because the drivers does'nt have'nt the balls to stop them, then you get the odd driver who compensates by acting the the little dictator with someone that does'nt look like they cause them any trouble

Ah now, addicts need their free transport to get the clinic for their free drugs....or the post office for their free money...or the doctors for their free healthcare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

When you use the pass you have to swipe it against the machine. I find it does not always work, it often goes red. Now I could see how that would be discomforting if this passenger had used the machine and it did not work. To get upset at the driver is silly. The driver has to operate a vehicle and prevent spoofers from getting on the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Panthro wrote: »
    Jesus wept. Student needs to build a bridge and get over it.
    Bus driver did what he's supposed to do, check the disability pass.
    If the student has a problem with that let him go n shyte.
    The driver was being a prick and need to be taken away from any public facing role.
    the_syco wrote: »
    If the driver thinks that the bus is too full, they allow people off the bus in this manner to ensure that no more people get on.
    They are also often ordered to bypass certain stops to save time but still have to stop and allow people off at those stops so they stop short of the stop or after the stop to allow people off the bus only.
    Bambi wrote: »
    I can't see such a cowardly prick trying that with one of the city's finest junkies!
    KingBrian2 wrote: »
    When you use the pass you have to swipe it against the machine. I find it does not always work, it often goes red. Now I could see how that would be discomforting if this passenger had used the machine and it did not work. To get upset at the driver is silly. The driver has to operate a vehicle and prevent spoofers from getting on the bus.
    It appears this student has not been chosen yet as one of the lucky few to be awarded one of the new PPS + free travel cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭Sand

because technically they are under no obligation to let you on outside the bus stop. infact they probably aren't allowed to do it. if they do fair play to them but your not entitled to expect it

He is entitled to expect the bus driver to stop at the bus stop. That's essentially his profession. Stopping at bus stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I agree with what he says that as a young person that loos physically normal, drivers act strange. Now I have the new card so it can't happen anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    The first part of the story I'd well believe. I have family with passes for "invisibly disabilities" and they've had the pass snatched out of thir hands and scrutinised. No problem with them examining it but it's the manner in which they've done it, and invented rules like "this doesn't have any photo on it! You'll need to show me photo ID too!" Which sounds like it's a reasonable rule but it's actually not a rule! There's no reason for a driver to demand that.

Where this lad lost me is where he has a disability that makes him extremely tired and wasting skeletal muscles but the bus driver couldn't catch him. Like really, that's is just not plausible.

Perhaps the bus driver is overweight and cannot run to far without getting out of breath or maybe he was afraid someone on the bus would drive off with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Dublin Bus drivers can sometimes be a bit abrupt. But it's tough, you have to balance between being helpful to passengers and keeping the bus on schedule as best you can, so I think this the reason for a lot of their brusqueness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

His union will be all over this like a hot rash and he will probably only get "reprimanded" with a weeks paid leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I'm in the same boat as this young chap, I have a free travel pass for a disability not immediately apparent (I'm only 22) and I have also had a hard time off Dublin bus employees about it.

I know like, 90% of their drivers/inspectors are fine no bother, but the 10% are a right pain.

I had a pass for seven years after an accident left me with balance issues and I can tell you 99% of drivers would not even want to see my pass. Once they even got a hint of it being produced they'd look straight ahead and nod or grunt. Very few would say 'Grand' or 'Thanks' or eyeball the pass. I often stood there holding the pass for the driver to then get pissed off and say 'Yeah, okay!' aggressively. Which is cool, I get it but what that then leds to is that most people would then flash their pass for two to three seconds and then slowly walk on. Thousands of journeys I would do that.

However, the problem with that is that now and again you would come across the biggest tosser going and once you'd show the pass and walk on they would then make an unholy show of you in front of the whole bus by pulling down their hatch and calling you back and complaining that you never fully showed them your pass and lecture you that you can't just flash the pass that you must wait for until the driver has examined it. Had one guy come up the stairs after me and just bit my tongue as he stood there ranting.

Tbh, I think they do it as they get a hunch you have used a fake pass and they want the glory of catching you. That's the vibe I always got of those guys. I never felt that they were about how the pass was shown at all. I think they resort to that argument when they have presented with a legitimate pass. I should have complained about one guy once who made me take my pass out of the cover and told me that I should't have it in it's clear plastic cover. As I walked to my seat, and the bus took off again, another passenger said 'Pay no attention to him, he's spoiling for a fight' and I smiled and said 'Sure Dublin Bus gave me the plastic holder' and all of a sudden the bus braked hard and as I hadn't sat down, I fell backwards, grabbed the rail and just about pulled myself back up and driver says: "What did you just say to me?!" I didn't even have to say anything as the other passenger (guy was about 70 odd) starts roaring at him that I never said anything. He just drove on as if nothing had happened and as I was getting off I told him I would be reporting him and he said do what you like. Never did though as was bogged down with other stuff at the time.

Anyway, that was the old passes and they were nothing but trouble. The newer ones that you can scan sound a lot better. People should have more privacy that way for a start. I always felt self conscious flashing my pass. Think many people do. They shouldn't of course but it's human nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Was told to 'f**k off' by one driver and called a 'prick' by another as I got off the bus, was just minding my own business on both occasions and had no prior exchange with them, they sum up everything about that miserable chip-on-it's-shoulder city.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,241 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

In fairness the bus driver thought the student was a chancer and a smart@rse with a with a bus pass. He wasn't. However the way the bus driver reacted reacted escalated things. Bit of a non-story in my view. Yon don't need to "flash the pass" anymore you can just scan it. That tired student won't be flashing for a while on public transport! :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Jesus Christ can people not just stand up for themselves anymore before whinging to social media and looking for likes.

Take the pass back, call the driver a prick and sit down. If he goes further than that hes ****ed.

OH me, me, me. **** off you as well you attention seeking whore.

• Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

I've, in my experience have generally only had good interaction with Dublin bus drivers. Once, I had one chastise me (I was smoking just before I got on the bus) and paid a school boy fair, I was told that I owed more, said no, I'm going to school "you were smoking, you must be over 16,its x amount"(I was an auld looking 15 in fairness, funny now that I'm 31 with a beard I'm regularly mistaken for 24-26...) whipped out my school boy card and heard a load of grumbling about" ffs, little scum bag smoking at his age"

Still laugh to me self about it to this day, and still see him fairly regularly, he always gives me the quare eye as well.

The majority of them are sound, there was a long haired ginger French guy that used to drive on the 41 routes a few years back, a great character, great craic no matter what. Once seen him kick the dashboard after overloading the bus on a Friday evening into town(to shut the overlead buzzer up) , because he didn't want to leave anyone at the bus stops. An absolute gent, anyone that has come across him would surely remember him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

KingBrian2 wrote: »

Actually thats the new travel pass. But a lot of people are still using the old ones.

I work with people with disabilities. I regular board buses as a companion. The vast majority are fine. They just do their job. Some are really friendly. Some are sour dour drivers.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

waaaaaaaaaa

Stand up for yourself and stop looking to get offended at every turn. He was obviously having a bad day, get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

moneymad wrote: »
    waaaaaaaaaa

Stand up for yourself and stop looking to get offended at every turn. He was obviously having a bad day, get over it.

I dont know if it happened that way or not but if it did, are you seriously excusing chasing and threatening the passenger?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement