Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 6P

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

I'm the same as this guy.

"1 Shipment information received LONDON-HEATHROW - UK 00:00 "

When shall I expect the Dublin delivery?

I had that status as of Sunday. Mine arrived this morning.....

If yours updated to that today, I suspect it will be Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Much obliged.

This horrendously expensive phone better be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭JKGT

Have not had any issues and really enjoying the device coming from a nexus 5, and according to that report if it were software issue with the mic surely a lot more phones would be affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

My order I put in yesterday still shows as 'Processing'.

Imbalanced speakers, dodgy mic's, tinted screens, lifted/uneven back compartment, rear visor glass spontaneously cracking, paint defects out of the box......I'm really setting myself up for a big fail here.

Flaccus wrote: »

Imbalanced speakers, dodgy mic's, tinted screens, lifted/uneven back compartment, rear visor glass spontaneously cracking, paint defects out of the box......I'm really setting myself up for a big fail here.

Best thing is not to google/search for potential issues. I wouldn't be put off buying a 6P, seems like a great device. Only things that put me off is the 810 processor and the price.

I generally get a new flagship every year, and my attitude is that warranty will take care of anything that's wrong with it.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    Best thing is not to google/search for potential issues. I wouldn't be put off buying a 6P, seems like a great device. Only things that put me off is the 810 processor and the price.

I generally get a new flagship every year, and my attitude is that warranty will take care of anything that's wrong with it.

I've had so many this year already....M9 couldn't get on with camera (sold it), S6 Edge bubbles under the glass (replaced), S6 loose home button, replacement the same, then refunded. Before these I had an IP6, and had no build issues really but lack of file system was limiting and wanted to try android again. Before IP6 it was a Note 4 but the dac on the Snapdragon was terrible and made for poor headphone quality/volume plus the metal edges/frame was of poor quality. Before that a Z3 which had a faulty IPS panel, and before that an M8 with the loose volume rockers and camera which got scratched for no good reason.

Guess I'm too fussy. I hope I don't get unlucky with the 6P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I've had so many this year already....M9 couldn't get on with camera (sold it), S6 Edge bubbles under the glass (replaced), S6 loose home button, replacement the same, then refunded. Before these I had an IP6, and had no build issues really but lack of file system was limiting and wanted to try android again. Before IP6 it was a Note 4 but the dac on the Snapdragon was terrible and made for poor headphone quality/volume plus the metal edges/frame was of poor quality. Before that a Z3 which had a faulty IPS panel, and before that an M8 with the loose volume rockers and camera which got scratched for no good reason.

Guess I'm too fussy. I hope I don't get unlucky with the 6P.

You are certainly fussy. So am I :D I'd say the 6P will be going back too. So many issues reported with it.

Techmaster wrote: »
    You are certainly fussy. So am I :D I'd say the 6P will be going back too. So many issues reported with it.

You'll return it because other people have had issues? I dunno if that's fussy, or something else altogether :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

You'll return it because other people have had issues? I dunno if that's fussy, or something else altogether :D

No, I'm saying he will probably find a reason to return it, as there have been so many issues reported with the device.

What's your location?

I put my order in at 9pm last night, and my DHL status states that I should receive it by End of Day, Wednesday, November 24th.

• Advertisement

County Clare

Techmaster wrote: »
    No, I'm saying he will probably find a reason to return it, as there have been so many issues reported with the device.

Exactly. If I never read about the air bubbles trapped under the s6 edge I may never have found it and would never have returned it. No product is perfect but now that I have read about 5 or 6 issues on the 6P I think there is a good chance I will spot one :( I hope not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Are you happy with your 6P ? Any issues, defects etc..

Overall very happy with the device(coming from Note 4).
    Only one issue, sounds like the mic is dodgy, so I will ask for replacement tomorrow.

kave2 wrote: »
    Overall very happy with the device(coming from Note 4).
    Only one issue, sounds like the mic is dodgy, so I will ask for replacement tomorrow.

http://phandroid.com/2015/11/23/nexus-6p-microphone-issue/

Overly sensitive noise cancellation on the mic they say can make sound muffled and hoping for a software fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

http://phandroid.com/2015/11/23/nexus-6p-microphone-issue/

Overly sensitive noise cancellation on the mic they say can make sound muffled and hoping for a software fix.

Anyone manage to buy this handset on Motorola site? They have massive sale on later today but heard there are issues with non UK cards.

If you've got UK Card problems, get the Revolut app.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭listermint

irishchris wrote: »
    Anyone manage to buy this handset on Motorola site? They have massive sale on later today but heard there are issues with non UK cards.

You cant buy the 6P on the Motorola Site.... Is a Huawei phone!

So I am all setup with my new 6P and I have to say I am loving it. The build quality, the feel, the finger print scanner, the camera are all amazing. I was at U2 on Tuesday night and I only had the phone a few hours and the picture/video quality was amazing….

I bought one of the Speck CandyShell Grip Case so it actually makes the device a bit bulker. I was never a fan of having a case as it ruins the beautiful design of the device but after dropping my nexus 4 twice in the last 12 months and smashing the screen, I am taking no chances with this one. I am a little afraid of the big screen being more easily scratched just because there is more of it. Any invest in one of those screen protectors and if they are any good?

One thing I have been trying to figure out is disabling the pull down menu/settings when the phone is locked. I am all setup with my dropsync backups, fingerprint scanner and pass code to access the phone but what happens if I do lose my device? The ‘find my android’ via chrome works great but that’s no good if someone picks up your phone, pulls the settings screen down and clicks airplane mode which then disables all phone connectivity… Is there any way of fixing this?

This isn’t a problem just with the P6. I imagine all nexus deceives (if not all android phones) have the same issue/flaw…?

OmegaRed wrote: »
    So I am all setup with my new 6P and I have to say I am loving it. The build quality, the feel, the finger print scanner, the camera are all amazing. I was at U2 on Tuesday night and I only had the phone a few hours and the picture/video quality was amazing….

I bought one of the Speck CandyShell Grip Case so it actually makes the device a bit bulker. I was never a fan of having a case as it ruins the beautiful design of the device but after dropping my nexus 4 twice in the last 12 months and smashing the screen, I am taking no chances with this one. I am a little afraid of the big screen being more easily scratched just because there is more of it. Any invest in one of those screen protectors and if they are any good?

One thing I have been trying to figure out is disabling the pull down menu/settings when the phone is locked. I am all setup with my dropsync backups, fingerprint scanner and pass code to access the phone but what happens if I do lose my device? The ‘find my android’ via chrome works great but that’s no good if someone picks up your phone, pulls the settings screen down and clicks airplane mode which then disables all phone connectivity… Is there any way of fixing this?

This isn’t a problem just with the P6. I imagine all nexus deceives (if not all android phones) have the same issue/flaw…?

Didn't know that was an issue. Personally, if my S6 Edge+ is locked and i pull down the pulldown and try to toggle something, it won't work until i unlock with my fingerprint.

Didn't know that was an issue. Personally, if my S6 Edge+ is locked and i pull down the pulldown and try to toggle something, it won't work until i unlock with my fingerprint.

Well on my nexus 4 and now my 6P, when the phone is locked and I pull down the pulldown, I can toggle any of the settings available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Well on my nexus 4 and now my 6P, when the phone is locked and I pull down the pulldown, I can toggle any of the settings available.

You are absolutely right mate and I am in SHOCK!! Didn't even think that was possible! That's not good at all at all! I would have thought if one tried to toggle anything it should then force you to enter the code or unlock using your fingerprint!

Have you enabled a code on bootup as well?

Thanks,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    Have you enabled a code on bootup as well?
    M

Can you elaborate?

I was looking at the following: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=56644

and tried the app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nezdroid.lockscreenprotector but it doesn't seem to be working for me

Thats from the first reply and the poster makes a good point, not just around the use of the pull down menu:
    This should be a very basic functionality of any phone. WHats the use of lock and patterns and face recognition and all this bull**** when anyone can take your phone and just hold the power button, boot into recovery and factory reset...done its his device now..unless you go after tracing IMEI ..don't know where you will trace it..iPhone has password lock for power button...Android must provide it too..

Can you elaborate?

I was looking at the following: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=56644

and tried the app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nezdroid.lockscreenprotector but it doesn't seem to be working for me

Thats from the first reply and the poster makes a good point, not just around the use of the pull down menu:

When I intially set my Nexus 5X up I'm sure it asked me to set a PIN, the same PIN that I use to unlock my screen to be applied when the phone boots.

So now the first thing that happens when I turn on my phone is that I am asked for this PIN in order to boot into Android. Without this PIN it refuses to go any further.

Have you set this up mate?

Thanks,
    M

Nope, haven't set that up. Phone boots straight up when I power it on.

Is this the same as encrypting data? If not, any suggested steps?

Nope, haven't set that up. Phone boots straight up when I power it on.

Is this the same as encrypting data? If not, any suggested steps?

I don't think it's the same mate. There must be a way to set it up retrospectively?

Someone else might know more about it. Did you initially setup a PIN when you got the phone?

Thanks,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    I don't think it's the same mate. There must be a way to set it up retrospectively?

Someone else might know more about it. Did you initially setup a PIN when you got the phone?

Thanks,
    M

Yup, i have a pin set (along with fingerprint) but that only to unlock the phone. I get nothing at boot stage (like a bios password). I didn't even know that was a thing?

Yup, i have a pin set (along with fingerprint) but that only to unlock the phone. I get nothing at boot stage (like a bios password). I didn't even know that was a thing?

I definitely have it mate but I did set it up right at the beginning. I'm trying to find something about it online but nothing so far......

What I am now wondering is if it got stolen or lost would this PIN prevent anyone from using fastboot\recovery to wipe it fully etc?

Also, on that PIN request screen one can put a message like your name and an alternative phone number should it be found ;-)

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I think the boot security pin is related to device encryption. That option is in the Security section of the system menu.

Based on this, I think its already setup once you setup the phone:

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6172890?hl=en

Look at the section: Verify your ownership after factory reset and the 2nd point

• Advertisement

Right, after a bit of investigation, I think I have a workaround but only if you are on Marshmallow.

Problem: When phone is locked, airplane mode (and also cellar data) quick toggles available from pull down menu. This means that they can be turned off if your phone was stolen and you cannot remote wipe or track your phone using the 'find my phone' functionality.

Workaround: Activate System UI Tuner (here: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/17/turn-on-system-ui-tuner-in-android-6-0-preview-3/)

Once done, you can actually remove the airplane mode and cellar data quick toggles from the drop down. All System UI Tuner settings explained here: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-use-system-ui-tuner-make-your-android-marshmallow-device-smarter-1526077

I am hoping that the link I provide in my previous post above, also covers this from a root wipe as you need you google account password.

EDIT: Test: Location toggle also needs to be removed as turning this off means find my phone functionality also wont work

Advertisement