Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most horrific horror films...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

I watched Saw 2.

Absolutely no ****ing sense did it make.

Not a bad film all in all, but damn, just a whole lot of stupidness thrown in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

A Serbian Film is very nasty. I enjoyed it. I liked Martyrs as well. Wasn't mad about The Human Centipede series. Too stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Daddy's Little Girl is an exceptionally brutal Australian revenge movie, there are some unbelievably harsh scenes

That flick is depraved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Trouble Every Day is another great piece of extreme French cinema.

Fairly underrated imo. Guess it's too arty for the horror crowd and too horrific for the art crowd. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭DvB

That flick is depraved!

The barb wire scene I found particularly messed up... how I watched this to the end is beyond me.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Out of morbid curiosity I read the wikipedia entry for "Serbian Film."

Christ, even reading the plot gave me troubled dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭droidman123

Watched the green inferno last night.its an eli Roth movie in the genre of cannibal holocost,not as gritty,but a great movie all the same. By total coincidence,I watched another eli Roth movie a few nights ago,knock knock,not a bad film but it confirmed my beliefs that keanu Reeves is one of the hammiest actors I have ever seen.

Pet Sematary, that damn black cat still scares me nearly 25 years after I first seen it.

the undead toddler / child coming out under the bed with a scalpel slicing yer man's achilles tendon - terrified me aged about 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭droidman123

I love horror movies and have seen tons,mainstream,french,Belgium,Japanese,Korean,a lot of them excellent,but I have yet to see one as good as the master of all horror movies.....the excorcist.I seen this in the cinema and it had a huge impact on me at the time,admittantly I was only about 14 at the time.I seen it a few times since and still think it's the best horror movie ever made.martyrs,although a different horror genre,maybe a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

A-Trak wrote: »

It took a very sick mind to come up with that one. It almost feels like it might be illegal when you are watching that certain implied scene :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Frontiere(s) is another good French extreme horror film.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Noroi: The Curse is one of my favourites

In the truest meaning of horror, it's all about a dawning realization as you figure out just how messed up what's going on is

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Pet Sematary, that damn black cat still scares me nearly 25 years after I first seen it.

Actually this for me too, I watched it late at night when I was about 12 maybe and properly did a number on me. I don't usually care for horror films as they don't scare me outside of maybe a jump scare but if I could get another film like that it I'd love to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

A-Trak wrote: »

I also did this.

Jesus...

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

A Serbian Film is pretty bad alright. But it's a masterpiece compared to The Human Centipede III: Full Sequence. As far as horrific horror goes, The Poughkeepsie Tapes had that certain something (I call it the Texas Chain Saw factor).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

The Maniac remake with Eljiah Wood of all people is really good, filmed POV and is very violent. Has a bit of a Drive feel to it in terms of style.

Men Behind the Sun is a classic extreme gore film.

Supposedly a true account of the treatment of Chinese prisoners in Japanese POW camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There's nothing "true" about 'Men Behind the Sun', other than the fact that Unit 731 existed.

It's simply an exploitation film masquerading as something else. "Entertaining" for what it is.

It's like saying 'Cannibal Ferox' is a factual account of tribes in South America.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Threads (1984) - very harrowing film.
    Cannibal Holocaust (1980) - pretty gross

I agree on Threads, pretty disturbing, particularly if you watched it when it was released, when nuclear war was a real possibility, or at least it felt like it was. I have to say though, Sheffield looked so grim in that film, there was hardly any need for nukes to make it a horror show.

For.me though, far and away the scariest film I've seen is The Day After, also about a nuclear holocaust. Apparently, this movie was part of the reason for Reagan deciding to make friends with the Soviets, so depressed was he after watching it. Available in full on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Tony EH wrote: »
    There's nothing "true" about 'Men Behind the Sun', other than the fact that Unit 731 existed.

It's simply an exploitation film masquerading as something else. "Entertaining" for what it is.

It's like saying 'Cannibal Ferox' is a factual account of tribes in South America.

Some of the depictions in the movie are based on fact and are what actually was carried out by the Japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Thought the original Last house on the left was pretty disturbing,
    I believe it was the first appearance of certain F .Kruger

• Advertisement

Trust me i didn't buy the DVD because of an interest in history!

Some of the depictions in the movie are based on fact and are what actually was carried out by the Japanese.

That's what i thought too, i must dig out the dvd see what it says on the cover

jh79 wrote: »
    That's what i thought too, i must dig out the dvd see what it says on the cover

Just go to Wikipedia and look up unit 731.

I read a lot about it in my younger days and what's shown in Men Behind The Sun only scratches the surface of their atrocities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The uncut version of A Serbian Film was was pretty shocking - just went places films don't normally go! Not really 'horror' as such though, just depraved.

Human Centipede 2 is an incredibly unsettling film as well and far superior to the first which is a load of crap in my opinion. Haven't seen the third film but hear it's dreadful.

Inside and Martyrs are both great - they actually remade Martyrs now as well, not sure if it's out yet though.

Murder Set Pieces is a good one too.

I've read a couple of good books on Unit 731 in my time and while there's details of some awful experiments and indeed the Japanese treated the Chinese prisoners with a chilling disdain (they called them "wood"), there's nothing in Mou's film that represents anything factual.

For instance, the scene where the "doctor" freeze's a woman's arms, so he can scrape off her skin, leave her bare skeletal arms? That's sheer nonsense. A great setup for a good special effect, but absolute bunkum nonetheless and while there were actual frostbite experiments carried out, nothing of scientific value to anybody, least of all the Japanese, would be yielded with such silliness.

Neither would throwing a live cat into a horde of "starving" rats, which Ishii does in the film. Although stories of the cat's death are false the rats were later set on fire for real in a truly barbaric scene. There's no point to those scenes, other than to illicit a response of disgust. A very staple of the exploitation genre.

Probably, the only thing shown in Mou's picture that comes close to reality is the decompression chamber scene.

'Men Behind the Sun' is an exploitation film. Nothing more.

jh79 wrote: »
    Trust me i didn't buy the DVD because of an interest in history!

Nobody would by any film to enhance their interest in history. :D

I've read a couple of good books on Unit 731 in my time and while there's details of some awful experiments and indeed the Japanese treated the Chinese prisoners with a chilling disdain (they called them "wood"), there's nothing in Mou's film that represents anything factual.

For instance, the scene where the "doctor" freeze's a woman's arms, so he can scrape off her skin, leave her bare skeletal arms? That's sheer nonsense. A great setup for a good special effect, but absolute bunkum nonetheless and while there were actual frostbite experiments carried out, nothing of scientific value to anybody, least of all the Japanese, would be yielded with such silliness.

Neither would throwing a live cat into a horde of "starving" rats, which Ishii does in the film. Although stories of the cat's death are false the rats were later set on fire for real in a truly barbaric scene. There's no point to those scenes, other than to illicit a response of disgust. A very staple of the exploitation genre.

Probably, the only thing shown in Mou's picture that comes close to reality is the decompression chamber scene.

'Men Behind the Sun' is an exploitation film. Nothing more.

I never said it was anything other than an exploitation film though?

I just said that parts of it were based on what actually occured.

Sorry BC, this is an old conversation for me. It just pushes my buttons. :D

On the subject of unit 731 and horrific horror movies I'd recommend Andrey Iskanovs magnum opus, Philosophy of a Knife.

Clocking in at over 4 hours run time its a real tour de force of a movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Watched "Daddy's little girl," over the past few days. While certainly gory, I didn't find it at all horrific. No real suspense or terror.

I did however also watch "It follows." One of the best horror films I've seen in years. Highly recommended.

Advertisement