Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS in all its glory

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Salmotrutta

cojack101 wrote: »
    Just got diagnosed this week. 29/M. My opthamologist gave me the news. Said the MRI report said the lesions were are all in the place they would expect to find MS. She said the technicians report is very straight forward and clear cut.. so they won't be looking for any other cause of my ON. I have to wait until January 21st to see a neurologist.. and I need answers.

Can anyone please help. I can't find any statistics or solid information.

Do I have to go with injectable treatment or can I choose oral medication?

OK, first of all, don't panic. I know it's hard, but googling symptoms will only give you worst case scenarios. It is highly unlikely you will get all, indeed many, of the symptoms you read about. With the new medications and looking after your diet and fitness there is a very good chance you will live a pretty normal life. The medication depends on your MRI scans, and what you decide in consultation with your neuro. There is a growing movement towards skipping the first line drugs (interferons, injectables) and putting patients on the more effective drugs like Tysabri, Gilenya etc. You need to have that discussion with the neuro, but the priority is to get on some form of treatment as early as possible.
    I'm on Gilenya (oral) which is going well for me. Others are on Tysabri and wouldn't give it up for all the tea in China.

What % of people with MS end up with progressive-relapsing MS. Is it inevitable that I will need a wheel chair? How likely is it that in my 60's / 70's I'll still be able to walk, do wood work, paint, work in my garden. Are there any elderly people with MS that are mobile?

No, it is certainly not inevitable. There is every chance now that you will be able to do those things. Elderly people now with MS have had the condition for decades, during which they had no effective medications, so their progression is no indication of what yours will be, or anyone else currently diagnosed.

Does anyone have any statistics around age? What % of people lose their mobility in their 30's, 40's, 50's 60's 70's?

Everyone is different, and has a different disease progression. With the newer drugs and even better ones in development, you may never lose your mobility.
    It was discovered because I had ON, does that mean I am inevitably going to go blind in that eye? If so statistically how long from developing ON in 1 eye does it take you lose sight in that eye altogether.. 10 years, 20 years?

No, many people with ON never have a recurrence of ON. It is commonly the first symptom (I got it too), but your eyesight may return to completely normal.
    There seems to be 2 avenues of information online about MS. The first is: It's a manageable condition. The second is: loss of bowl control, extremely reduced mobility, massive reduction in quality of life. What happened to the manageable part? Is managing it just buying yourself a few more years until these symptoms hit you and you end up with the same mobility as Bernadette Forde or Marie Fleming?

Those people generally have primary progressive MS. You almost certainly have RRMS, given your ON. Basically long periods of remission interspersed with occasional relapses. Again, the newer drugs drastically reduce the number of relapses, indeed some posters on here have been relapse-free for years on Tysabri, for instance.

[QUOTE=cojack101;97407796I have seen this:

initialsymptoms.png

But these headings have a BIG spectrum.[/QUOTE]

MS can cause a huge variety of symptoms, but I believe that these statistics are already out of date. People diagnosed now will be on better treatment from the outset of their disease, and the numbers affected by these symptoms are certain to decline as relapses become fewer and less often.

I'm currently reading Overcoming MS by Professor George Jelinek - it might be more encouraging for you than google searches that bring up a lot of worst case scenarios. He presents a lot of evidence and statistics that might answer some of your questions above, but more importantly shows that you can live a full and normal life with MS (he has it himself and is relapse free for over 10 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Blinder

I was referred to neuro in Kerry but I hear this could take a very long time.

Contact the neuro office about a week or 2 after they received the referral and ask how long the waiting list is.

my left eye doesn't see as well it's blurred...

Just pop along to your optician and get that checked. It might be completely unrelated.

So it's only now that I've started to worry a little. Haven't told my husband a single thing, just don't see the point of both of us worrying if it's nothing...but it's lonely.
    You should talk to your husband. Stress can cause some of your symptoms and sharing the burden and talking should help

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I have taken your advice and went to see about my eye, the optician couldn't see me before Thursday so I just went to my GP instead and she has sent an urgent referral to neuro now. MS was mentioned a few times by herself but it's all a bit of a blur now. I can feel a part of me trying to convince me that it's in my head, until a pang of random pain or numbness hits me. Only hope urgent means weeks rather than months...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd let the GP know you are willing to accept a cancellation with the neuro. Hard not to, but try not to cross bridges.

Wondering if anyone can shed a bit of light on optic neuritis for me, I went to GP Tuesday (loss of vision left eye, field of vision reduced slightly same eye, she said eyes were healthy), should have asked more questions but always the way, the questions pop-up on way home and also I was a bit shook by the MS/urgent referral etc.
    So basically I have had reduced vision in my left eye since last Friday, no pain, slight discomfort at times. Yesterday afternoon (Wednesday) I was struck by pain in my head all around the same eye, paracetamol took edge of pain but didn't get rid of it until sometime this morning. Now, no pain, still vision loss.
    Can this be how ON presents? When (If) do I need to do something about it? Or is it something that is likely to resolve itself?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It could be ON but it could also be other things. If you have given an urgent referral, you should get to the neuro faster. You can't do much to treat ON, sometimes a neuro might give steroids. Painkillers such as paracetamol won't touch neuropathic pain, if that's what you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I had optic neuritis. No pain but when I closed my good eye I could only see shadows and shapes in the affected eye. It was like turning the lights down. One test that was done in the hospital was to have me look at a red square with my bad eye. It looked grey.
    If I looked at a window i could see the shape of the window but it was black instead of being bright. Same with spotlights in the ceiling.

GP referred me straight to the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cojack101

My ON (right eye) was a blurred spot in the middle, that got bigger and bigger until I eventually couldn't see my hand in front of my face lighting my cigarette. I also had trouble seeing red. The Royal Victoria admitted me for 5 days for IV steroids. They said it would have went down itself but the steroids would speed up the process, and it did.

5 weeks on still not 100% on colours or definition but a massive improvement. Could take 9 months according to the ophthalmologist.

Food was good, staff were friendly.. And with the no smoking anywhere on site policy you get to play James Bond a lot. :-)

If you want to go in, triage is quick - but the wait to see a doctor can be 4 hours. Triage nurse told me to go off to star bucks for an hour and come back.. which was nice. Its a comfortable and friendly A&E. Didn't see one junkie. Alot of old people and tradesmen who have had accidents. No food so don't go in hungry. Closes at 8pm.

Wondering if anyone can shed a bit of light on optic neuritis for me, I went to GP Tuesday (loss of vision left eye, field of vision reduced slightly same eye, she said eyes were healthy), should have asked more questions but always the way, the questions pop-up on way home and also I was a bit shook by the MS/urgent referral etc.
    So basically I have had reduced vision in my left eye since last Friday, no pain, slight discomfort at times. Yesterday afternoon (Wednesday) I was struck by pain in my head all around the same eye, paracetamol took edge of pain but didn't get rid of it until sometime this morning. Now, no pain, still vision loss.
    Can this be how ON presents? When (If) do I need to do something about it? Or is it something that is likely to resolve itself?

I think it's unusual to have ON without some pain. Certainly when I had it it was like severe eye strain. Colour perception was very poor, and bright lights hurt, I ended up wearing sunglasses in the office til I got it seen and found out what it was. Steroids definitely helped it clear up quicker, so try to get seen as soon as you can. If you have health insurance or can afford to go private I'd ask your GP if they can refer you to a private neuro, you might get an appointment a lot quicker. Getting seen quickly helped take a lot of stress off for me. I highly recommend going private if you can. You can always ask to be referred to the public system again afterwards.

I think it's unusual to have ON without some pain. Certainly when I had it it was like severe eye strain. Colour perception was very poor, and bright lights hurt, I ended up wearing sunglasses in the office til I got it seen and found out what it was. Steroids definitely helped it clear up quicker, so try to get seen as soon as you can. If you have health insurance or can afford to go private I'd ask your GP if they can refer you to a private neuro, you might get an appointment a lot quicker. Getting seen quickly helped take a lot of stress off for me. I highly recommend going private if you can. You can always ask to be referred to the public system again afterwards.

I could probably stretch to consultant's fee for appointment privately (no health insurance), but I presume they wouldn't be able to tell me all that much without MRI or others, don't know the cost for them but I'm sure they don't come cheap!
    One minute I'm certain it's not MS, how could it be, my symptoms are quite mild considering, the next I'm sure that it is, when the symptoms come back with a bang! Patience is the only answer, I know, and this constant search for answers everywhere is rather pointless even though I can't help it it seems...

• Advertisement

I could probably stretch to consultant's fee for appointment privately (no health insurance), but I presume they wouldn't be able to tell me all that much without MRI or others, don't know the cost for them but I'm sure they don't come cheap!

Personally I wouldn't go paying for a private consultation without having the MRI done first. It MRI could cost up to €500 but you need a referral for it, and a neurologist will know the scans to order.

Try to sit tight. Do you know what neurology clinic your gp has sent the referral to. If so, try phoning them next week and see are you in the system and if they have a date for your appointment yet. If not, don't worry, as it takes a few weeks for your case to be reviewed, so just phone back the week later. Once you have a date, I bet you will feel better as its the waiting that is hard.

Hope you opened up to your hubby, and have a shoulder to lean on.

also, even when you get to see nuero, you will probably be sent for MRI and/or lumbar puncture and/orother tests before anything is diagnosed/ ruled out so don't depend on getting any answers on the day of your appointment.
    spend the time between now and then figuring out what you want to tell him about, what you want to ask. Write this down so its not going round and round in your head.
    On the day of the appointment bring your hubby or a friend. Someone that knows the questions that you want to ask, so they can prompt you about them if something slips your mind.

for now, try to relax and breathe. I know it's easier said than done but otherwise your will make yourself ill with stress.

I think it's unusual to have ON without some pain.
    I think like everything else with this disease nothing is back or white.
    I had ON which manifested as double vision , no pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Do I have to go with injectable treatment or can I choose oral medication?

is that a question of choice in ireland?

my neurologist told me he is not aware of any oral medication being released in ireland. i'm from germany, and just a couple month after i came here, oral medication apparently became available in germany.... argh. i'm stuck with betaferon injections.

murfilein wrote: »

my neurologist told me he is not aware of any oral medication being released in ireland. i'm from germany, and just a couple month after i came here, oral medication apparently became available in germany.... argh. i'm stuck with betaferon injections.

Oral medication IS available in Ireland - Gilenya (fingolimod) is a daily tablet and is more effective, according to the science, than betaferon. It is paid for on the LTI scheme. Your neuro should know this. Possibly they are reluctant to offer it, as it is a second line treatment, unlike the injectables, but more and more neuros are recognising that going straight to a more effective drug is better for patients. Read up on Gilenya and inform yourself about the benefits vs side effects etc, and then push your neuro about it. They may have a good reason for not offering it to you, but they should at least know about it and be able to explain why they are not considering it for you.

Oral medication IS available in Ireland - Gilenya (fingolimod) is a daily tablet and is more effective, according to the science, than betaferon. It is paid for on the LTI scheme. Your neuro should know this. Possibly they are reluctant to offer it, as it is a second line treatment, unlike the injectables, but more and more neuros are recognising that going straight to a more effective drug is better for patients. Read up on Gilenya and inform yourself about the benefits vs side effects etc, and then push your neuro about it. They may have a good reason for not offering it to you, but they should at least know about it and be able to explain why they are not considering it for you.

oh i remember my neurologist in germany talking about gilenya, but she said thats an "escalation" medicament. not sure what exactly that means though.

i will look it up and talk to my irish neurologist about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

murfilein wrote: »

I'm starting Gilenya in the coming weeks, they're putting me on second line treatment as I was too progressed for the daily injectables.

They should at least be honest with you and tell you what types of treatment there are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

When I was diagnosed first I was only offered the first line of treatments. When they didn't work I was offered tysabri or Gilenya.

In Ireland to be eligible for the second line of treatment you have to have shown progression while on first line.
    They can't prescribe it until then so won't offer it as if first line works, a patient isn't eligible.

ash23 wrote: »
    When I was diagnosed first I was only offered the first line of treatments. When they didn't work I was offered tysabri or Gilenya.

In Ireland to be eligible for the second line of treatment you have to have shown progression while on first line.
    They can't prescribe it until then so won't offer it as if first line works, a patient isn't eligible.

But they skipped straight to Gilenya with me, as they reckoned 1st line would be a waste of time. So it really is a case by case basis.

I'm still waiting to start meds, does anyone know if I'm ok to get my flu jab? I usually get one because I have chronic asthma, but just want to make sure it's I'm not going to interfere with starting the meds.

I'm still waiting to start meds, does anyone know if I'm ok to get my flu jab? I usually get one because I have chronic asthma, but just want to make sure it's I'm not going to interfere with starting the meds.

i got mine a couple days ago the doctor said as long as i dont have fever i'm fine with the injection.

• Advertisement

I'm into the Mater on Thursday to take my first dose of Gilenya. I'm actually quite nervous.

I'm into the Mater on Thursday to take my first dose of Gilenya. I'm actually quite nervous.

You'll be absolutely fine. In fact, bring a book or ipad, you'll be bored stiff most of the time. Get to know the Gilenya nurse, and note any questions you want to ask beforehand so you remember them on the day. Welcome to the Gilenya club!

Welcome to the Gilenya club!

Ha, thanks! I've been so focused on getting treatment started that I hadn't much thought beyond it. Like after Thursday, that's the rest of my life. Just seems daunting....

Life will go on, and after a while other than taking the tablet every day you'll pretty much forget about it hopefully. I'm on it a year and a bit, not one issue since, thankfully. Your MS nurse may forget to send a reminder but do remember to get your regular bloods done and MRI followup.

Best of luck!

So I took some advice given to me on here, and after receiving the letter from neurology for my "priority" referral, I phoned the hospital (Tralee) to have an idea of the waiting list in my case: 9 to 12 months!! Even my GP sounded slightly shocked when I told her. (2 to 3 years apparently for non priority referrals!)
    So I have taken the decision, along with my husband, who is very supportive (although going a bit mad on the googling I must say!) to phone for a private consult, which is €140. I know the neuro probably won't be able to tell me an awful lot, but I need something to happen. MRIs are €200 after that per section, but we said we'd cross that bridge when we get there. We spent more than that on our car this year getting ready for nct as my husband said, trust him to compare me to his motor ;)

Sound like a good plan littlemissfixit. And tell hubby to stop googling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

So my left knee is acting up, don't know if its MS or what.

Sometimes it's not MS, we still get our MS + whatever else life throws at us. How is it "playing up?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Swollen, can bend or straighten it. Left hips aching too but that might just be from limping. Perfect timing really, I've got an interview on Wednesday about getting disability.

Advertisement