Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Firstime wrote: »
    Hi....Newbie here.

When do you have your first scan? We are waiting for Holles st to make contact .

We are new to this baby business so I just assumed it was 12 weeks. I don't want to ask anyone as its still all secret!

Hi Firstime, we are going private in the Rotunda and they offered us an early scan if we wanted as well as our 12/13 week scan. We had it yesterday and got to see the teeny tiny baby and see its heart flickering away. Once we decided on private we were directed to the relevant clinic and booked in our date. They booked the early scan and 13 week scan on the same phone call.

cinloom wrote: »
    hi all i am due start of may 16. Did anyone explain to you difference between semi private and public ?

Hi cincloom, we were also confused with public/private and semi. The main thing is cost, wait times, room when you are in the hospital for the birth and access to a consultant.

Public - no costs, long waits at appointments, see multiple consultants or choose to be midwife led, 8 people in the room when you are in hospital for the birth.

Semi-private - with the Rotunda there was 2 options consultant led was close to 2k or registrar (I think) led which was 1.2k. There is a team of consultants on the consultant led and you see any one when you go to appointments. There is 4 in the room when you are in the hospital for the birth.

Private - pick a consultant, s/he has a cost, varies per consultant from 2.5k to 4k. You see them at all appointments/scans. There is less of a wait at appointments (our first we waited for approx 20 minutes) and they aim to give you a private room if available.

That's what I could gather anyway. The Rotunda had a private/semi-private website with costs - http://rotundaprivate.ie/fees/. I'm sure whichever hospital you choose has one too. Maybe ask at reception when you call.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭cinloom

Kathy22 wrote: »
    Hi cincloom, we were also confused with public/private and semi. The main thing is cost, wait times, room when you are in the hospital for the birth and access to a consultant.

Public - no costs, long waits at appointments, see multiple consultants or choose to be midwife led, 8 people in the room when you are in hospital for the birth.

Semi-private - with the Rotunda there was 2 options consultant led was close to 2k or registrar (I think) led which was 1.2k. There is a team of consultants on the consultant led and you see any one when you go to appointments. There is 4 in the room when you are in the hospital for the birth.

Private - pick a consultant, s/he has a cost, varies per consultant from 2.5k to 4k. You see them at all appointments/scans. There is less of a wait at appointments (our first we waited for approx 20 minutes) and they aim to give you a private room if available.

That's what I could gather anyway. The Rotunda had a private/semi-private website with costs - http://rotundaprivate.ie/fees/. I'm sure whichever hospital you choose has one too. Maybe ask at reception when you call.

Thanks so much for all those information

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Kathy22 wrote: »

cincloom just to clarify something kathy said there ....unless things are vastly different in Dublin (!!) then in my experience you will Always have a private room for the actual BIRTH.
    It's the room you have after the birth (for the couple of nights you spend in there) that she's talking about either 8 or 4 or private.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

How are all ye ladies doing?
    Yesterday, for the first time in weeks, I felt somewhat human again. Still had the nausea, fatigue and sore boobs but a lot milder and I didn't spend the day longing for my bed!
    The relief was shortlived, all back with a bang this morning and to make matters worse I keep thinking today is Friday!

• Advertisement

I'm doing absolute sh1te teggars :-( :-(
    Every morning starts with talking to god on the big white telephone, followed by a day of my stomach turning at smells & sights of most foods. Have cravings for certain foods then eat them they're yock.
    Sick, miserable........sorry no joy to report here!

Oh Lucuma, sorry to hear that!
    It's freakin hard isn't it?!
    How far are you now? I just keep telling myself it has to get better soon. ....

hi all, I am good, had the 10 weeks scan yesterday with my doc and baby looks great. Nausea are in the afternoon/evening but people tell me to take some ginger so will give it a try this evening.
    People says that it will get better arounds 12 weeks so cant wait

I can't wait to have my first scan. I'm 8 weeks now so still have a couple of weeks to go.
    Cimloom I tried the ginger tea but I didn't really like it. Ginger ale is good to settle the stomach too.

i already did 4 scans as my obstetrician wanted to follow foetus growth to make sure everything was fine . it is great to see the development from a kidney beans to now you can see heads arm and legs.

• Advertisement

I'm 10w+4d and am anxiously awaiting the reprieve from nausea that usually comes around the 12 week mark as well!! On my dd the nausea disappeared at 10 weeks but this little bean is making Mama suffer for a bit longer.

On a positive note though it's FINALLY less than 1 week to my scan/booking appointment! It's next Wednesday and I'll be 11w+3d so assuming all is ok, 4 days after that I'll be able to tell everyone.

I've already told my parents, my sister found out by accident, and a few of my friends in work (lads!) guessed so I didn't bother denying it as it was just last weekend they said it so I thought feck it I'm nearly 10 weeks. But I can't wait to tell all and sundry and (hopefully) annouce it to the world.

Great you got all those scans cinloom, must be great. I had an early scan at 7 weeks (I paid for myself), had to be an internal as it was so early, gulp. Was good to see bean though.

Teggars I tried both ginger ale and ginger beer last night actually! I was kinda shocked on the ingredients list there's water, Sugar, a whole load of Es and then ''natural aroma of ginger' so there's no actual ginger in it?!? So how is it effective against nausea so, do you think it's just in our heads?

You've just reminded me I brought ginger tea bags to work but forgot to brew them, will make a cuppa now! I'm taking ginger capsules and sometimes the crystallised ginger sweets and have ginger nut biccies in my drawer in work ....next to a giant bottle of Gaviscon haha...took a swig earlier and am sure my (male) boss thought I was taking a sup from a hipflask/dodgy brown bottle!! .

Lucuma wrote: »

Teggars I tried both ginger ale and ginger beer last night actually! I was kinda shocked on the ingredients list there's water, Sugar, a whole load of Es and then ''natural aroma of ginger' so there's no actual ginger in it?!? So how is it effective against nausea so, do you think it's just in our heads?

LOL I reckon a lot of it is in my head. I tried ginger biscuits but couldn't stand them either. I'm finding fizzy drinks very appealing at the moment but trying hard not to give in to the temptation!
    I've been looking for ginger sweets but couldn't find any. Where did you get yours?

teggers5 wrote: »
    LOL I reckon a lot of it is in my head. I tried ginger biscuits but couldn't stand them either. I'm finding fizzy drinks very appealing at the moment but trying hard not to give in to the temptation!
    I've been looking for ginger sweets but couldn't find any. Where did you get yours?

I got them in a health food shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

I've been loitering around this thread for the last few weeks. This is my third pregnancy and hopefully first baby. Had a scan on Sunday, about 9 weeks along and all looking good so far. Looking forward to the 12 week scan and hopefully get over the anxiety and start enjoying it! Been feeling pretty rough for the last month nausea/retching/puking nothing seems to help but glad to have symptoms at the same time!

wuffly wrote: »
    I've been loitering around this thread for the last few weeks. This is my third pregnancy and hopefully first baby. Had a scan on Sunday, about 9 weeks along and all looking good so far. Looking forward to the 12 week scan and hopefully get over the anxiety and start enjoying it! Been feeling pretty rough for the last month nausea/retching/puking nothing seems to help but glad to have symptoms at the same time!

Congratulations!! I know it's no party is it, this first trimester :mad:

Definitely no party! Really struggling to hide it at work :eek:

yeah it is not easy to hide it at work especially when, like me, you cant close your trouser anymore

cinloom wrote: »
    yeah it is not easy to hide it at work especially when, like me, you cant close your trouser anymore

Oh I'm past that stage a few weeks ago! Have already packed all the pants away and am wearing leggings with dresses, skirts with stretchy waist bands and XXL tights etc.

Have to say it's easier being on no.2 as I have all these type of garments in my wardrobe already, they're the clothes I wore for nearly 1 year after having the first one while my post-baby belly receded! They'll do me now til it's time to invest in mat clothes/get my old ones back from the people I've leant them to

Congrats wuffly.. I'm about 9 weeks too. Counting down the days till the second trimester in the hope I'll feel better!

Haven't got that far yet but definitely at the chubbier end of my wardrobe! Generally wear loose stuff at work so hopefully can hide it for as long as possible. I have no idea how they are going to react as my boss loves to remind me 'if you don't need someone for that long you don't need them':eek: standard mat leave her is 45 days (calendar days so about 6 weeks)

• Advertisement

Huge congrats Wuffly. Hopefully we all start to feel a little better in the next few weeks. 1st trimester almost over :)

Haven't got that far yet but definitely at the chubbier end of my wardrobe! Generally wear loose stuff at work so hopefully can hide it for as long as possible. I have no idea how they are going to react as my boss loves to remind me 'if you don't need someone for that long you don't need them':eek: standard mat leave her is 45 days (calendar days so about 6 weeks)

Are you in the States? It's 26 weeks in Ireland!

Are you in the States? It's 26 weeks in Ireland!

No, I'm in Dubai. I'm not really sure how its going to go. My OH is starting a business at the moment and doing some contract work so our income is a bit all over the place. I would be hoping to be able to take some unpaid leave but I don't know if they will be open to it and how the finances will be! The longer I can hold out telling them the more of an idea I will have of what we can manage. Then there is childcare dilemma...! We haven't even really discussed it ourselves as we don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves.

Wow can't imagine having to go back to work after 6 weeks. I work with some colleagues in NA and there leave is so small compared to our in Ireland. Makes me very grateful. Best of luck wuffly, I'm sure you guys will figure out a plan!

I am self employed and I went back to work when dd was 10 weeks Wuffly, it went fine. You gotta do what you gotta do! I think it has made dd very independent and she never makes strange with people, she's very sociable

Thanks Lucuma, good to know, I will have annual leave built up so hopefully I can at least bring it up to 10 weeks. I guess I would just like to be able to take more time if I feel I need it and childcare would be an issue as we don't want a nanny and nursery would be out of the budget if the business isn't drawing enough in. OH would be great but it I don't think the business and stay at home parent would work. We'll just have to see how it goes. At the minute I'm just hoping to not get fired! The law is a bit woolly here to say the least. I work in oil and gas and there have been lay offs all over the place which we have managed to avoid so far, so it would be easy for them to just let me go. My boss doesn't cope well without someone to run to for info I've never had a holiday/weekend where I haven't been contacted for something. In saying that they have done a lot to keep me in the company since i joined in terms of salary and promotion so I am hoping they still feel like that! Its crossed our minds to just feck off home :) Overthink a situation much lol!!

I am lucky enought to be able to take the 6 months maternity leaves. But yesterday my husband realize that the childcare cost are very high and was wondering how we will be able to afford it . Anyway we will sort that out later ... lot of people manage it so why wouldnt we ? :-)

Does anyone have their appointment with hospital sorted ? My doc told me she would take care of that but still have no news .
    I will be 12 weeks this week end. Cant wait to have this stage over

I had my first appointment yesterday, saw the baby, bawled my eyes out (early scan doesn't count coz it doesn't look like a baby then!) everything is rosey in the garden and my dates have been brought forward so I'm 12 weeks today !!! The first trimester is OVER !!!!!!!!!!! Yip-a-dee-do-da, Yip-a-dee-yay

I had my first appointment yesterday, saw the baby, bawled my eyes out (early scan doesn't count coz it doesn't look like a baby then!) everything is rosey in the garden and my dates have been brought forward so I'm 12 weeks today !!! The first trimester is OVER !!!!!!!!!!! Yip-a-dee-do-da, Yip-a-dee-yay

Delighted for you Lucuma! How many weeks did you think you were?
    I'm hoping they'll tell me I'm further along too but I have a feeling it's wishful thinking on my part!

• Advertisement

teggers5 wrote: »
    Delighted for you Lucuma! How many weeks did you think you were?
    I'm hoping they'll tell me I'm further along too but I have a feeling it's wishful thinking on my part!

I went in there 11w + 3d, I came out of there 11w +6d :P:P:P
    So thought I had to wait til Sunday to tell people but have spent the morning telling people!!!!

Advertisement