Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renua’s radical plan to abolish loads of taxes and the TV licence

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Give taxis and haulage companies access to green diesel and the rest of us on higher tax fuel.

Or get rid of the silly green diesel, and give them increased tax credits based on what they spend on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

NIMAN wrote: »
    Of course it will make people pay attention, if you make it sound like a magical world where abolishing road tax only adds 2c to a litre of fuel.

This would get anyone's attention, except that its nonsense, the figures don't make sense. Not even close.

Most people will realise that's a load of crap but even at 20 cent a litre I think most people would accept it.

Its a fair system and think you'd be suprised by how many people would be happy to loose another annual bill to worry about.

It could also be pushed by the greens to get people to use public transport and cycle to work so they could claim they once again saved the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Give taxis and haulage companies access to green diesel and the rest of us on higher tax fuel.

There's already separate tax rates for commercials. I say leave that as it is, and go one better by giving commercial operators the choice to stay on that or pay on their fuel, whichever is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This thread /forum probably isn't representative given all the excitement about the notion of driving big engined petrol cars at the weekend or doing feck all mileage with no motor tax.

For many people who have been priced out of buying /renting somewhere close to work or where public transport is impractical or non-existent, and who spend a fortune on fuel as a result (plus the additional wear and tear costs and consumables) this would probably cost significantly more if the maths were done right by the party implementing it... Never going to happen!

Incidentally, what do ye think would happen to all those big engined cars btw? They'd shoot up in price of course reducing the "savings" rather significantly I'd imagine.

Yea imagine a system were the more you use the roads the more you pay to maintain them absolute lunacy at its finest.

The current system has pushed many a person into diesel wrongly you now have people driving diesel who do about ten miles a week you had people spending thousands on car loans to save a few hundred a year on tax.

Petrols would no doubt increase in value as demand would go up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Sure - different tax regimes favour different cars. I bought a 2.0 diesel in January 2008, and the tax changes lamped thousands off the value of it within 6 months. Them's the breaks.

Our current system is beyond stupid. If we changed to something sensible, some people would gain and some would lose. But we'd end up with a sensible system, and that would be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Incidentally, what do ye think would happen to all those big engined cars btw? They'd shoot up in price of course reducing the "savings" rather significantly I'd imagine.

Nonsense.

The ones left (there aren't many......) just wouldn't be exported anymore and people would actually be able to 'sell' them.

You can't win sometimes with people. This proposed system would be by far the lesser of two evils, even taking into account the individuals who do a lot of driving or live close to borders etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's a basket case party, this in the only policy they have come out with that I agree on, everything else is away with the fairies.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

This is bollox,the sums don't add up and if the right sums were applied then you'd have giant petrol stations in Jonesbrough shipping fuel by the tanker.

The TV licence should be added to the property tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

This is bollox,the sums don't add up and if the right sums were applied then you'd have giant petrol stations in Jonesbrough shipping fuel by the tanker.

The TV licence should be added to the property tax.

If the difference was sub 20% there would be no benefit in travelling across the border unless you lived about 10 miles from the border. With the chance of the UK leaving the EU it does get a little interesting though, their currency will depreciate like a stone :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Most people will realise that's a load of crap but even at 20 cent a litre I think most people would accept it.

Its a fair system and think you'd be suprised by how many people would be happy to loose another annual bill to worry about.

It could also be pushed by the greens to get people to use public transport and cycle to work so they could claim they once again saved the environment.

The greens are long gone. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

It'd be bad for owners who've paid out big vat/vrt for new cars. New car sales would slow, and the overall tax yield from the sector might reduce.

p.s. Interestingly the guy on the radio said 40% of the total road tax yield was spent on costs!

Why would new car sales slow? I don't think with an economy growing at 4% this year and predicted to grow higher next year would cause sales to slow significantly because fuel prices increased.

Having worked in the industry myself this whole "buying a new car to save on tax" argument doesn't have a strong grounding.

I think the people that were going to buy brand new cars will just continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

If the difference was sub 20% there would be no benefit in travelling across the border unless you lived about 10 miles from the border. With the chance of the UK leaving the EU it does get a little interesting though, their currency will depreciate like a stone :D

It creates a huge incentive to smuggle, there is no reason to deliberately create that.
    Also some reg fee for cars would still exist and come the next downturn you'd have motor tax back.

NIMAN wrote: »
    The greens are long gone. ;)

I just meant it as a phrase for those that push environmental issues ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It will never happen :) I cant remember the last time the government did anything to help out every single motorist.
    I also cant see massive engined cars being driven around as most of the country would still be used to small engines diesels.

bear1 wrote: »
    It will never happen :) I cant remember the last time the government did anything to help out every single motorist.
    I also cant see massive engined cars being driven around as most of the country would still be used to small engines diesels.

Mini Cooper with supercharged 572-inch Chevy crate engine FTW. 1.6 on de logbook biy, m'kay luv ya buh-bye! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

No thanks. I bought my car for the sole reason of the low road tax. If you want to drive a 2 litre fast car then pay for the privilege.

Thank god these clowns have zero chance of getting into power

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

350z will finally start making a bit of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭creedp

It creates a huge incentive to smuggle, there is no reason to deliberately create that.
    Also some reg fee for cars would still exist and come the next downturn you'd have motor tax back.

Motor tax was abolished once already .. yet its still there .. and will always be there in one from or another. Also there was an extra temporary duty put on fuel sometime back when fuel prices were falling - don't remember it ever being removed when fuel prices shot through the roof! Loading an extra 20c on a litre now will be quickly forgotten and in couple of years time it will be another 20c and so on.

Its all very well to say if you drive more you should pay more so load extra duty on fuel .. maybe reasonable for a person who lives on the motorway network with top class roads (although the tolls are supposed to paying for this benefit already) but what about if you live on areas serviced only by crumbling national/local roads? Should you pay the same for this privilege?

In my view there should be a annual motor tax charge but it should be fairer - this pre/post 08 lark is ridiculous. The argument that people bought new cars post 08 on the back of low motor tax and therefore it would be unfair to increase their tax now doesn't stand - taxes go up all the time - no one, including those driving around in shiny low tax/low vrt new smoky diesels, are exempt from this principle

jimgoose wrote: »
    Mini Cooper with supercharged 572-inch Chevy crate engine FTW. 1.6 on de logbook biy, m'kay luv ya buh-bye! :D

I can beat that.. A fiat 126 with a supercharged maloo engine. 0.6 on de book dere laddy :D

• Advertisement

No thanks. I bought my car for the sole reason of the low road tax. If you want to drive a 2 litre fast car then pay for the privilege...

What is in fact happening is I, and others like me, are paying for your privilege of driving whatever mileage you like for the same pittance rate of motor tax. How about you pay for the "Privilege"?

No thanks. I bought my car for the sole reason of the low road tax. If you want to drive a 2 litre fast car then pay for the privilege.

So you bought a newer car solely for the cheap tax? Does that not sound ludicrous to you?
    Did you do the calculations of costs etc when changing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

So you bought a newer car solely for the cheap tax? Does that not sound ludicrous to you?
    Did you do the calculations of costs etc when changing?

Look at his other posts in this forum, hardly a petrolhead:rolleyes:

polan wrote: »
    Look at his other posts in this forum, hardly a petrolhead:rolleyes:

You don't have to be a petrol head to see how ludicrous that post is though

Sadly though there plenty of people in Ireland who think like that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

jimgoose wrote: »
    What is in fact happening is I, and others like me, are paying for your privilege of driving whatever mileage you like for the same pittance rate of motor tax. How about you pay for the "Privilege"?

He paid a bucket load of VAT/VRT don't forget, equivalent to many years of high road tax.

Nobody gets a free lunch.

You don't have to be a petrol head to see how ludicrous that post is though

Sadly though there plenty of people in Ireland who think like that.

It's mad. I jut did a quick, approx, estimation there on what it would cost me to do the same.
    Have a 2.2 Accord (04), sell it for say 1500e and tax for the year I think is somewhere around the 700e mark.
    I need a SW for family reasons and I do a lot of km per year so I'm in diesel land and in this case I want a 08 for cheaper tax.
    Quick check on DD for the car I'd want is a 520d 2008 for 10.5k which is taxed and NCT.
    I don't have 10k lying around to splash on a car so I go for a loan of 9k (1.5k) from the Accord.
    Bank gives me a rate of 7.5% over 3 years which gives me a total loan of over 10k including interest.
    I could tax my Accord for over 14 years before I'd reach the total amount of the 08 car.
    Absolute madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

bigroad wrote: »
    There is a few problems with this.
    1. people that laid out big money for new cars from 08 till now for cheaper tax.
    2.younger generation that were pushed out to far away places but still have to commute big miles to work.
    3.People jumping over the boarder for cheaper fuel.
    Other than that its a great idea.

If people can lay out big money for a new car in first place should be able to afford the tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

It's mad. I jut did a quick, approx, estimation there on what it would cost me to do the same.
    Have a 2.2 Accord (04), sell it for say 1500e and tax for the year I think is somewhere around the 700e mark.
    I need a SW for family reasons and I do a lot of km per year so I'm in diesel land and in this case I want a 08 for cheaper tax.
    Quick check on DD for the car I'd want is a 520d 2008 for 10.5k which is taxed and NCT.
    I don't have 10k lying around to splash on a car so I go for a loan of 9k (1.5k) from the Accord.
    Bank gives me a rate of 7.5% over 3 years which gives me a total loan of over 10k including interest.
    I could tax my Accord for over 14 years before I'd reach the total amount of the 08 car.
    Absolute madness.

Do the calculations for a 08 accord. BMW's are over priced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

When you use the words 2 litre and fast car together as if it is an automatic fact that one follows the other, you are obliged to spell "fast" as "fasht" and recite a decade of the rosary afterwards to calm your nerves.

• Advertisement

Do the calculations for a 08 accord. BMW's are over priced

An 08 Accord will probably command the same amount of money, especially in estate form.
    Just checked, there are 3 for sale as an 08 and the cheapest is 10.1k so 400e less.
    I won't even bother re-doing the calculations as they will be the same.

Advertisement