Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lidl Bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Would the wipers fit on a Mondeo?

you can check the wiper fitment here

http://www.ultimatespeed-fb.com/

the bulb set is great value if your main bulbs are h7 or h4.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

Its not very clear, are the roof bars universal, does any of you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

SeaFields wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of the mini compressor? I'm sick of garages not having air anymore!

The mini compressor is fine,it's one of the better things i've ever bought in lidl it's faster than the more expensive branded one we have in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Lidl do a quite handy 2xUSB cigar lighter adapter but they usually sell out of those sharpish.

I found the wipers pretty good, but you have to clip the airfoil off and reverse it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭traco

Got them a few years back. do the job grand.

Had them on a 97 Passat estate. 2007 ML and a 2010 Superb estate. Good and solid. the mounts slide in and out so will adjust to any width. Bit noisy so only have them on if I need them.

Worth it IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

:p

I think the listing is confusing, pretty sure the roof bars aren't included, it's just the bicycle mount for attaching to your existing roof bar set.

The roof bars aren't actually included (I think!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

My overall experience of Lidl tools, etc is that they are excellent value for money and of good quality. However, the axle stands are very poor. I worked in the motor trade for many years (and used all sorts of stands, etc) and would not trust the Lidl (or Aldi) axle stands.

Halfords (or identical Draper) axle stands are much better quality.

Dont forget, you wont get a second chance (to try out other axle stands) if a vehicle falls on top of you!!

Re the jump leads...I bought a Lidl set a few years ago and have used them many times and am very pleased with them.

The torque wrench looks good value. However, at that price it wont be calibrated so accuracy will be an issue.

Also, a few tips regarding torque wrenches in general -

- They should be treated as precision instruments, i.e. not dropped on the floor/ground,
    - Unwound (to '0') as soon as you are finished using it (to prevent weakening the internal springs, etc) ,
    - Be stored carefully in their protective case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do these puncture sprays actually work? I have one for the bicycle but never thought you'd get one for a car:

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=30838

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Silvera wrote:
    The torque wrench looks good value. However, at that price it wont be calibrated so accuracy will be an issue.

This is true but has nothing to do with price, some of the most expensive gages on the market do not come calibrated.

That said I've calibrated one I bought in Lidl years ago and it was much more accurate than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

And you should never use a torque wrench to loosen bolts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,652 ✭✭✭corks finest

Silvera wrote: »
    My overall experience of Lidl tools, etc is that they are excellent value for money and of good quality. However, the axle stands are very poor. I worked in the motor trade for many years (and used all sorts of stands, etc) and would not trust the Lidl (or Aldi) axle stands.

Halfords (or identical Draper) axle stands are much better quality.

Dont forget, you wont get a second chance (to try out other axle stands) if a vehicle falls on top of you!!

Re the jump leads...I bought a Lidl set a few years ago and have used them many times and am very pleased with them.

Also, a few tips regarding torque wrenches in general -

- They should be treated as precision instruments, i.e. not dropped on the floor/ground,
    - Unwound (to '0') as soon as you are finished using it (to prevent weakening the internal springs, etc) ,
    - Be stored carefully in their protective case.
    I concur,ref axle stands ,,,,,I decided to buy from halfords a pair of sturdy ramps,getting wheel chocks next week,safety,safety, safety.

Thargor wrote: »
    Do these puncture sprays actually work? I have one for the bicycle but never thought you'd get one for a car:

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=30838

Hope so,I've a Honda insight, no space saver,,used one twice on a Kawasaki 900 r bike,got me from Sligo to Derry,80 miles no problem,, hole in tyre has to be small

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

nd wrote: »
    you can check the wiper fitment here

http://www.ultimatespeed-fb.com/

the bulb set is great value if your main bulbs are h7 or h4.

Anyone know what model the Mondeo Mk4 would be on that site?

Is just lists Mondeo I and II.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Anyone know what model the Mondeo Mk4 would be on that site?

It doesn't appear to be on it, it would be 4 if it was.

Wipers are one thing I can't and won't do cheap. They last no length of time compared to oem ones. You can pick up a set of mk4 mondeo wipers for circa 40 euro off Ford. Worth every penny!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,397 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the mother has the Lidl flat bladed on her car and no bothers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

As been previously said the torque wrench it not having a calibration cert is a bad buy, I wouldn't hold up a wheel barrow with them axle stands and the jump leads are poor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

SeaFields wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of the mini compressor? I'm sick of garages not having air anymore!
    Funny, I found the lidl compressor pure muck, others seemed to have more luck with them. Maybe I got a dud?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

As been previously said the torque wrench it not having a calibration cert is a bad buy, I wouldn't hold up a wheel barrow with them axle stands and the jump leads are poor.

Torque wrench is good buy even without a calibration certificate. As stated earlier in the thread when tested it was close enough certainly more than good enough for DIY use. Plus at that price you can't go wrong.

Axle stands do appear flimsy few euro more and it possible to pick up much better elsewhere

Jump leads are all based on quality on thickness of cable vs price. I've jump stared 2l diesel engines with flimsy cables by allowing the flat battery to be charged from good vehicle before trying to start the car. So better than nothing. You need very thick cables that are also expensive if you want to hook up and crank the engine straightaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

visual wrote: »
    Torque wrench is good buy even without a calibration certificate. As stated earlier in the thread when tested it was close enough certainly more than good enough for DIY use. Plus at that price you can't go wrong.

Axle stands do appear flimsy few euro more and it possible to pick up much better elsewhere

Jump leads are all based on quality on thickness of cable vs price. I've jump stared 2l diesel engines with flimsy cables by allowing the flat battery to be charged from good vehicle before trying to start the car. So better than nothing. You need very thick cables that are also expensive if you want to hook up and crank the engine straightaway.

Thats how i jump start a lot of things, by allowing the running vehicle to recharge the flat battery
    You would need very thick cables and clamps to match to properly jump a completely flat car.
    I have a set of 1000amp jump leads that are 6m long and its the length of them that are handy, they can jump stuff in akward spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

9935452 wrote: »
    Thats how i jump start a lot of things, by allowing the running vehicle to recharge the flat battery
    You would need very thick cables and clamps to match to properly jump a completely flat car.
    I have a set of 1000amp jump leads that are 6m long and its the length of them that are handy, they can jump stuff in akward spots.

I'd allow the battery to charge for 10 mins and then start it.

I was jumping a 1.9 diesel Laguna a while back with my 1.0 Yaris. The Laguna wouldn't even unlock the doors. Jumped it, sat into the Yaris, kept it at a stable 3000 RPM for 10 mins. Started without a bother.

That was with LIDL jump leads too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭micks_address

5W30 wrote: »
    I'd allow the battery to charge for 10 mins and then start it.

I was jumping a 1.9 diesel Laguna a while back with my 1.0 Yaris. The Laguna wouldn't even unlock the doors. Jumped it, sat into the Yaris, kept it at a stable 3000 RPM for 10 mins. Started without a bother.

That was with LIDL jump leads too ;)
    Would the torque wrench be good job for removing wheel nuts?

Would the torque wrench be good job for removing wheel nuts?

You should never use a torque wrench for removing wheel nuts.

You use a torque wrench to tighten wheel nuts (and not only wheel nuts) so you don't overtighten them and possibly ruin the thread or make it too hard to remove them later.

The torque wrench is good though.

You should never use a torque wrench for removing wheel nuts.

You use a torque wrench to tighten wheel nuts (and not only wheel nuts) so you don't overtighten them and possibly ruin the thread or make it too hard to remove them later.

The torque wrench is good though.

The trolley jack be ok? Just want something handy at home for changing winter wheels over

The trolley jack be ok? Just want something handy at home for changing winter wheels over

Yep I've had mine for a few years. Does the job and is much quicker than a normal car jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Yep I've had mine for a few years. Does the job and is much quicker than a normal car jack.

I disagree...I have a Lidl jack and also one that I got from PR Reilly. The lidl one started a slow leak to the point where it's fairly useless now.

Wouldn't use the axle stands either, but I did buy the torque wrench before and find it's handy for its higher range than my regular wrench.

I disagree...I have a Lidl jack and also one that I got from PR Reilly. The lidl one started a slow leak to the point where it's fairly useless now.

Must have been faulty so. I know a few guys here have them and haven't had issues. Mine hasn't leaked at all. Did you loosen the screw to lower the car too much?

I think the instructions say you must unscrew it a tiny bit and lower the car slowly to prevent the hydraulic oil from leaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The Lidl trolley jack I have is a bit leaky too, you can visibly see the car going down slowly. Had it years now mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Covers seem very decent!

A large is big enough to cover my Sierra. (Complete bumpers and sides)

Jack out of stock in citywest :(

• Advertisement

Jack out of stock in citywest :(

Got one,looks OK,but ordered 3 ton jackstands from Mick's garage,took lidl one out to look at,,might be wrong,but I wouldn't trust it

Advertisement