Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 confirmed dead so far in Oregon college shooting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Reading some of the comments on Fox News, make the Journal look like a haven of rational thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

MadYaker wrote: »
    Yeah it's tragic but I don't think any gun laws will change at a federal level. The NRA have too much power in congress. If Sandy Hook wasn't enough to bring about change then nothing will, strange they were able to take the guy alive, normally the people who do this want to die in process. I wonder would he be of Arabic descent and what his motives were?

Have any of them ever been? What an ignorant comment.

Anyway, what a fcuked up society. There will be calls for more guns as a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This is the 19th school shooting this year alone in the US

I knew things were bad but holy shit like

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States#2010s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Overheal wrote: »
    plot twist: when was the last time anywhere there was a female perp in a mass shooting?

Brenda Spencer. She didn't like mondays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

WTF is wrong with people?
    Anyone encouraging this nutter should be done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The Umpqua Community College website is down at the moment, understandably.

I'm a bit disgusted at the journalists on social media trying to contact those at the scene or families who have heard their kids are OK. Unavoidable these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States#2010s

Piers Morgan ( yeah I know ) mentioned on Sky News that there have been over 120 shootings in schools since Sandy Hook and 45 so far this year, not sure where he is getting his facts from though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Piers Morgan was on Sky earlier on and for once I have to say he is right in what he was saying about the attitude to guns in America

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/649657157454012416

He is getting a mixed reaction on twitter

https://twitter.com/WavyBrah/status/649666522357592064

The Umpqua Community College website is down at the moment, understandably.

I'm a bit disgusted at the journalists on social media trying to contact those at the scene or families who have heard their kids are OK. Unavoidable these days.

Isn't that also how some of the hostages got caught in France, because the media reported where they were? Their disgusting animals, who care about nothing more than ratings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Stupid Americans be stupid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Social media is the wrong place to get measured coverage for stories like this. Empathy and concern first, not politics.

As Chris Matthews of MSNBC said about the kid with the clock story, too many go to their battle stations without knowing the full details.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And what won't the NRA allow in America

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

WTF is wrong with people?
    Anyone encouraging this nutter should be done.

Why would someone encourage this??
    I read the link...it's the same as the horrible thing where I seen people goad a person into a live suicide before :(

Them lads had a chance to stop it..why would they not report it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Brenda Spencer. She didn't like mondays.

Ah, that song.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

And Chicago has seen an insane amount of gun crime as well in the past 2 or 3 weekends, I believe.

When in the hell will America understand that their current gun laws are the problem?

Chicago actually has some of the strictest gun laws in the U.S. The problem there is guns illegally obtained by gang members. Banning guns won't stop people getting them illegally. I don't know what the cause of the problem is, it seems there is something fundamentally wrong with American society, but it's a little late for changing the law considering there are hundreds of millions of privately owned guns in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQQEg3CWIAEOMJY.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

It is the mindset of owning/using a gun. I met a guy kept one in his car in case he was "jacked." Another couple of guys I knew (lived beside) treated their guns like they were pets and reminisced about their first gun. The older bloke (70's) had the attitude that if anyone broke into his house he'd blow them away. "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" was his motto. Pretty representative of a large number of the population I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Pink Lemons

It is the mindset of owning/using a gun. I met a guy kept one in his car in case he was "jacked." Another couple of guys I knew (lived beside) treated their guns like they were pets and reminisced about their first gun. The older bloke (70's) had the attitude that if anyone broke into his house he'd blow them away. "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" was his motto. Pretty representative of a large number of the population I would think.

It just goes to show the level of fear and paranoia that is ripe in American society, massively piled on by news stations like Fox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Said it before, say it again if you want to own a gun in the States you should have to do a mandatory number of hours a month community service guarding Schools/Colleges.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Toby, as always puts it best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Psyche testing should be mandatory for all gun holders but that's never going to be allowed happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Toby, as always puts it best.

Didn't the Supreme Court rule that that interpretation wasn't correct at all though?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,203 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Guns were allowed on campus, madness

RIP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

a bowl of kellogs coco pops, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

you see how the important part is still important, whatever inane bull**** is deemed 'necessary' to the security of a free state?

the right to bear arms is the important part of that sentence, not the militia. that's just explanatory

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

this site says its the 45th

http://everytown.org/article/schoolshootings/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

i knew someone from r9k would eventually break

dreamers75 wrote: »

Yep, that's pretty much what I saw. Hope you're safe, but we'd like your account of things all the same...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

c_man wrote: »
    Didn't the Supreme Court rule that that interpretation wasn't correct at all though?

Time to be revisited.

Police just confirmed that the killer is dead

• Advertisement

Advertisement