Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well done souls :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Well done Souls, best of luck. Keep posting!

Just being a member of this site will not change anything about your life, any more than buying the latest power tools will build you a house. The results come from the efforts you make in using the tools, not from just owning them. Wise words from a good old friend :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Realies do you realise that you're a mix between philosopher and agony uncle on this thread. Not to put anyone else down but I can only fathom how many people you've helped and more than likely saved here. You know you're stuff and you're only too willing to help..

Honourable mentions go to marianbad, Kunkka Abcxyz12345 and the countless others who love to help.

If you're new to this thread listen to these folks, they know what they're talkin about.

I couldn't possibly add in everyone who's helped me on my road to sobriety but I will say, with all honesty, they've saved my live... Keep fighting the good fight folks, you're in the right place for it..

P.S. Apologies for the names I've left our but hopefully you know who you are ;)

Ah thanks Ger for that lovely comment, I am only passing on what unselfishly was passed onto me. :-) slante

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Queenpink

hi my last drink was 48 days ago.I lapsed for a day and started again before that day i had 77 days.

Hello anyone around ?

How is everyone doing

Whether it's bad good or fantastic let us know as there are many lurkers here who need our encouragement and advice.

I am doing fantastic, I am doing great and I feel like I have a new lease of life in a positive happy healthy way, how about you ...

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

I'm off it 4 years and 4 months and doing very well. I've had a few dips in mood over that time but have dealt with them with a clear head. It's as if one massive complication has been removed from my life and things are far more straight forward.

I've been on a very exciting and rich journey of self discovery since quitting too and my confidence in my own worth is increasing month by month, as is my general sense of wonder about life in general.

Words can't explain how happy I am to have quit and how strongly I URGE anyone who is lurking out there, sitting on the fence, to take the bull by the horns and just do it. Don't waste another precious day of your life.

But as realies often says, preparation is key so make sure to have a plan, especially in the early days and make sure all your basic needs are being met so that you minimise your vulnerable moments.

And remember that support from ordinary human beings here who are going through the same thing is available to everyone, so use it. Best of luck, everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

cant give it up, the only thing that lifts my mood

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭souls

Hey Guys!
    Hope everybody is doing good!? well just to say I've all but being accepted on a 6 week inpatient rehab program starting this tuesday the 22nd! Ive been through the wars (as has my family) in recent times trying to get in on it,as well as having that "one last bender" mentality a few times, (one right after being discharged from detox in hospital, as well as ****ing just before going in, i pegged it down to the off license while in the waiting room) my dad had to come get me back in! absolute disaster and then the wked before my meeting with the rehab manager i went on a bender that and I'm not even exaggerating cost me my life!! that has scared the living **** out of me of how really dangerous my drinking now is! i have to be 7 days sober to start on tuesday, i am currently on day 5. i will be breathalyzer (twice) as well as a drugs test. So if i ****ed it up its my own fault. My future is literally in my own hands now. I know an alcoholic should never look beyond the present day, but i will not **** this up! there will be no communications once I'm inside so i wish you all well! maybe meet you at AA after ya never know! i will be back on this site anyway! best of luck all! and thank you all for your support! and again to anybody worried about their drinking DO something about it! Don't wait til its too late! 3 outcomes Insanity, Death or Recovery! Choose now!
    Souls :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Charles Daarrwin

Back in again after a catastrophic session that frightened the **** out of me.
    Stopped going aa
    Stopped working the program
    Bad behaviours returned
    Lost faith in higher power

Then bang!

A week later I'm back in contact with my higher power and sponsor

I wish to get spiritually well again

It won't happen over night

I've done 3 months in treatment few years ago

I've tasted recovery and I've tasted he'll

I find thinking or helping others gets me out of my shell

I need to grow spiritually

I want to stress again I got a fright of my life the thoughts I had last week

I wish you all well comrades

We truly need each other

We cannot do this alone

God bless and take care

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Welcome back, Charles :)

@ Souls:
    maybe meet you at AA after ya never know!

Good stuff, I am sure many of us will be saving you a seat, will be praying for ya while yer in the dry-out joint, see you on the other side :)

Well my update begins with a bit of a back story. Put on the kettle, it could be a long one...

I grew up very shy and hating school from baby infants to 3rd year. During the summer between 3rd year and 5th year I discovered drink and drugs and by the time I went back to school I was heavily into both. I became popular and confident, (cocky really). I loved it. I was popular, I was getting the shift off different girls every few weeks and it was a total transformation from my introverted 3rd year self. School was a social event, education didn't matter anymore. My woeful leaving cert results can attest to that.

Anyway my next few years were drink and drug fuelled madness... The details are irrelevant but I became an alcoholic which resulted in crippling anxiety disorder which, after 10 years of suffering, I've finally overcome (well learned how to cope with). I didn't think I'd have any type of future and honestly, I didn't care. Drink was all that mattered..

This week I'm 16 and a half months sober which is important.

Today I've finished my first week in Applied Social Studies. I was as far out of my comfort zone as I could possibly be and I was nervous. The ever present anxiety disorder was always in the back of mind but I became more and more comfortable by the day. In a room of 30+ people I introduced myself and, although I was slightly nervous, it went perfectly... To anyone who's had or have anxiety disorder, you'll understand that this is not just daunting, it's practically impossible. But this new found confidence is all due to being off the drink.

I'm happier than I've ever been and for the first time in my life I'm looking forward to what lies ahead. Drink tried it's best to ruin me and it very nearly succeeded. But with the help of friends, other recovering addicts I know and mainly the good folk on this thread I'm in a very good place..

All I can say is QUITTING DRINK WILL GIVE YOU YOUR LIFE BACK. I know it might sound trite and I'm fully aware it's not as easy as 'just stop drinking'. But try. And if you fail then try again. And if you fail again etc...

I'm wrecked tired so if I waffled on about shyte I apologise. And of course, keep fighting the good fight. Best of luck folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Abcxyz12345

Hello all,

So lovely reading through this thread. It's really a very special place.

I'm doing well today thankfully: I'm just over 11 months sober & life is so much better than this time last year. I was so broken - inside & out... Drinking heavily, self-harming & full of fear, anxiety, self loathing. I honestly think I could not have kept going the way I was... I was so ambivalent about living or dying.

I'm so thankful for this thread & its members - for the gentle & encouraging nudges to go towards making changes. I'm so grateful to the kind & gentle people that I met in AA - that reassured me that it would all be ok... And it was ok & is ok. My lasting memory will always be one of the kindness & gentleness (that word again, I know!) as that's what I so needed... I was so self destructive & had no idea how to show myself any kindness or be gentle towards myself. I'm getting better at this daily :-)

I try to share what was passed onto me with others who also have a desire to stop drinking - in small ways. I am forever grateful to those who were there for me when I was very unwell. Recovery is so revealing, challenging, humbling & strengthening - it's an everyday thing & its recovery in all areas of my life. But one I could certainly not do if I was drinking alcohol. To anyone lurking, please do go for it & give it all that you've got - even if you don't feel that you've much to give... It's so worth it & we all deserve to live a healthy life :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Hello all,

So lovely reading through this thread. It's really a very special place.

I'm doing well today thankfully: I'm just over 11 months sober & life is so much better than this time last year. I was so broken - inside & out... Drinking heavily, self-harming & full of fear, anxiety, self loathing. I honestly think I could not have kept going the way I was... I was so ambivalent about living or dying.

I'm so thankful for this thread & its members - for the gentle & encouraging nudges to go towards making changes. I'm so grateful to the kind & gentle people that I met in AA - that reassured me that it would all be ok... And it was ok & is ok. My lasting memory will always be one of the kindness & gentleness (that word again, I know!) as that's what I so needed... I was so self destructive & had no idea how to show myself any kindness or be gentle towards myself. I'm getting better at this daily :-)

I try to share what was passed onto me with others who also have a desire to stop drinking - in small ways. I am forever grateful to those who were there for me when I was very unwell. Recovery is so revealing, challenging, humbling & strengthening - it's an everyday thing & its recovery in all areas of my life. But one I could certainly not do if I was drinking alcohol. To anyone lurking, please do go for it & give it all that you've got - even if you don't feel that you've much to give... It's so worth it & we all deserve to live a healthy life :-)

You are my hero Abc ,for someone to travel from such despair as was evident in your firsts posts to such a life-affirming post as the above is so inspiring . Just outstanding .

marienbad wrote: »
    You are my hero Abc ,for someone to travel from such despair as was evident in your firsts posts to such a life-affirming post as the above is so inspiring . Just outstanding .

Ah, thanks so much Marienbad :-)

It's kinda amazing to think of this difference between now & this time last year. I'm watching a cheesy movie with my dog on the sofa & am so contented... I literally couldn't even sit with myself last year. Thankfully there is a solution and its there for everyone ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

A year today for me,when I look back at me this time last year Jesus I was a mess,drinking vodka from a bottle raw first thing in the morning to ward off the shakes,hallucinating,ringing ears,anxiety,panic I don't think I would have lasted a lot longer.I would have drank myself off the face of the earth by now.fastforward to today,yeah life's not a bed of roses but its a million times better than were I was,thanks to everyone for the info and support,this forum is invaluable.

Happy One Year Evasion! And yeah, it's no bed of roses but man, it's so good to be alive and free and out of the bed of thorns I was in at the time of my last drink (and like you, I was sick as a dog, along with being a bit mad in the head, lol).

I wish you much happiness on your journey going forward, and delighted you're here to share with newcomers/lurkers that this thing really works :)

A year today for me,when I look back at me this time last year Jesus I was a mess,drinking vodka from a bottle raw first thing in the morning to ward off the shakes,hallucinating,ringing ears,anxiety,panic I don't think I would have lasted a lot longer.I would have drank myself off the face of the earth by now.fastforward to today,yeah life's not a bed of roses but its a million times better than were I was,thanks to everyone for the info and support,this forum is invaluable.

Well done _kid , that is some achievement .

That's fantastic Evasion Kid! Super well done. I'm not too far behind you so I've a bit of an idea of what the past year has been like... Life is good this Monday morning tho thankfully :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I am 2 years alcohol free now today. Feels great but time is flying by.

So many positives from a alcohol free life. It has not been easy. Had to turn my back on alot of my social life and friends. Great having money to buy things that I want. Got promoted in work during this time, saved money, regained interest in former hobbies, plan to do more travelling now, lost weight and mentally feel so much better.

"It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life, that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Charles Daarrwin

Sometimes I don't feel welcome in AA
    I feel as though I'm different again
    Struggling with every thing and everyone at the moment
    Putting the drink down is the easy bit
    Dealing with my crazy head is the issue
    I need help and I need it quick

Sometimes I don't feel welcome in AA
    I feel as though I'm different again
    Struggling with every thing and everyone at the moment
    Putting the drink down is the easy bit
    Dealing with my crazy head is the issue
    I need help and I need it quick

How many different groups have you tried? AA groups can be very different , just like pubs and bars are lol ;) Keep seeking, you will find one that suits you.
    Tip: try and get there a little early, and don't run out the door before it ends. Give people a chance to say hello.

Also: this is a great, free resource. Try listening to a bit of this talk on Step One by Bob D, he has a gift for explaining things I find:

Ps: if there is anything we can help you with, just ask. Lots of us on here are AA members. Hang in there Charles :)

Today I'm 17 months sober. I've transformed as a person and it's only lately I can admit to how well I've done. I don't want to sound smug but I've never been happier :). I'm doing a social studies course, part of which is psychology. For the last few days we've been discussing addiction and I've never felt like such an expert in my life....

http://www.caspain.eu/2015-convention/

This where I spending this weekend,it's a convention for cocaine and alcohol addictions in estapona Spain, it's a great buzz with the hotel booked out with people from all over the world,you just can't beat the buzz of being around like minded people :-)

Have a great time realies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

4 years sober tomorrow. Been the best decision I've ever made.

Kunkka wrote: »
    4 years sober tomorrow. Been the best decision I've ever made.

A serious achievement Kunkka , well done ,and long may it continue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Day 7 :o I'm an alcoholic. Had a wonderful girlfriend and we both loved each other and then I did some completely out of character ****ed up ****. And I mean ****ed up!

I went to AA after this but was still drinking. Then last Friday 3 weeks I started heavily. Two and a half weeks later I was still drinking from morning to night. Took three weeks off work and nearly lost my job. Went through withdrawals from Thursday last. Was back in work Monday morning. First AA meeting back last night and I'll be going to one every day. I can never touch a drop again.

On Xanax at the minute and yesterday I was starting to feel better and of course I thought about a drink. Alcoholics have a very short memory span it seems.

Anyway, onwards and upwards as they say :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 doublegreen

2 months today for me. Also Equals to the day the longest ever off it since I started drinking back at age seventeen (Over 25 years ago).

Having a real up and down time.
    I never know until I wake up each morning whether I am going to have a good day or a bad day, that day
    With no obvious differences to why - some days I wake up ready to take on the world and feel great.
    Other days with nothing changing, I feel the opposite and the thoughts of the drink return greatly. Don't believe its depression etc. Still trying to get a handle on why this continualy changes.
    Anyway, today is a good day so onwards and upwards,

A frigtening thought occured to me recently. I am in my forties now and have never known adulthood without alcohol for any prolonged period.
    Its not a case that i tried and failed as an adult sober, but rather that I never tried.
    Part of why I hope to not touch it again
    Hopefully my time has come.

PS - Down Twelve Pounds also in weight.

Advertisement