Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My thoughts on Conor McGregor

Options
  • 03-09-2015 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

I haven't been into MMA for that long, just a few years. But in that few years you see a lot of different fighters and you study how they handle themselves, both in the ring and out of it.

I've followed Conor and his rise to fame and adulation for quite a while. His talent and showmanship are there for all to see but as an Irishman I can't say that he makes me proud deep down. Not that he's doing this to please people like me or you, but his Irishness and how much he's apparently adored by our small Island and its population is constantly being put out there and advertised upon. In reality, anyone that I have asked an opinion of about Conor and/or UFC has had nothing but scorn for the way he handles himself.

To be honest the more I hear what he has to say the more I want to see him get his comeuppance. Maybe it's the way I was raised or the values that I have learned on my own, but I don't place much value upon those that constantly toot their own horn in such a vulgar way and equally constantly berate those that are opposing them. His win against Chad Mendez should have been Italia 90 in the ring but I was left cold. Chad seemed like such a friggin' dude after that bout, he rocked Conor big time but as recently as today I read how Conor thinks his striking is weak and so forth.

Is it too much to expect him to be respectful, like Mirko Filipovic (Cro Cop) who doesn't feel the need to berate opponents before, during and after a fight but still can be very successful? A real man can admit weakness, apprehension and so forth without damaging his public persona.

I'm sure there are many Conor fans here and therefore I expect a lot of backlash for this, but for those of you that can think in an unbiased way, do you agree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Den_M wrote: »
    I haven't been into MMA for that long, just a few years. But in that few years you see a lot of different fighters and you study how they handle themselves, both in the ring and out of it.

I've followed Conor and his rise to fame and adulation for quite a while. His talent and showmanship are there for all to see but as an Irishman I can't say that he makes me proud deep down. Not that he's doing this to please people like me or you, but his Irishness and how much he's apparently adored by our small Island and its population is constantly being put out there and advertised upon. In reality, anyone that I have asked an opinion of about Conor and/or UFC has had nothing but scorn for the way he handles himself.

To be honest the more I hear what he has to say the more I want to see him get his comeuppance. Maybe it's the way I was raised or the values that I have learned on my own, but I don't place much value upon those that constantly toot their own horn in such a vulgar way and equally constantly berate those that are opposing them. His win against Chad Mendez should have been Italia 90 in the ring but I was left cold. Chad seemed like such a friggin' dude after that bout, he rocked Conor big time but as recently as today I read how Conor thinks his striking is weak and so forth.

Is it too much to expect him to be respectful, like Mirko Filipovic (Cro Cop) who doesn't feel the need to berate opponents before, during and after a fight but still can be very successful? A real man can admit weakness, apprehension and so forth without damaging his public persona.

I'm sure there are many Conor fans here and therefore I expect a lot of backlash for this, but for those of you that can think in an unbiased way, do you agree?

I can't really go into it much on mobile but your thread title more or less answered your own question. "My Thoughts" and at the end of the day it's exactly that. It's a matter of opinion, I personally love his cockyness and find it hilarious 90% of the time. But others don't and it's as simple as that. It's all opinion based. Without a doubt I felt as proud as anything watching him lift that tri colour up while the belt was put around him, and I look forward to him winning the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

We definitely needed another thread on this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

What's wrong with this one? It's obvious I'm open to other views on the matter, I've put my opinion out there, others can feel free to do the same. I wasn't aware that we needed some UN approved mandate or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What's wrong with this one? It's obvious I'm open to other views on the matter, I've put my opinion out there, others can feel free to do the same. I wasn't aware that we needed some UN approved mandate or whatever

All he means is that's there's already a Conor mcgregor thread where you could've shared your views. No need for a new thread

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

It's a fair opinion, but something I don't quite understand is how Irish people just love to hate on their fellow countrymen who have any sort of success. I don't love everything he does or says, but he's done incredibly well for himself and a lot of that is promotion. I genuinely believe he is a lot smarter than most people give him credit for.

As for the recent comments, keep in mind that earlier this week, Faber was saying Chad would dominate him in a second fight and only lost because it was on short notice, Chad has said the same.

I'm not much for national pride in general, it's just a patch of dirt we happened to be born on. However he's the reason Ireland has two UFC events in two years, he's the reason there are more avenues opening up to write about the sport. He's the reason I no longer have to explain to people that I don't write about 'that fake wrestling thing.' He also makes the UFC a lot more exciting in general, the build up to his fights are incredible, the buzz, the atmosphere, it's lacking in the modern 40 plus events per year era.

He's also very good at fighting, he puts in the work, goes out there and preforms, he shows up injured or not, he spends time to talk to fans at the open workouts, he spends time with the media to do very long interviews.

In general, fair f**ks to him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭_oveless_

Begrudgery, etc.

_oveless_ wrote: »
    Begrudgery, etc.

Thanks for all 13 of those precious letters there, pal

Begrudgery, etc.

Go on then, I'll entertain your crappy response - why would I be begrudging him? I want to like the bugger, but I can't, isn't that obvious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Begrudgery, etc.

That's an easy way of dismissing criticism and nothing else.

I think he's a great fighter but I also think he's a classless tool who comes across as a school yard bully. He's not clever he's just loud and obnoxious, he shouts over everyone else in the room and says something crude and people act like he has some sort of Hitchins like wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Mirko is actually cro cop, who knew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Tubberadora

I'm also of the opinion that he is way smarter than he wants you to think he is. If this is true he is borderline genius.

T-K-O wrote: »
    Mirko is actually cro cop, who knew

legendreturnsposter.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,031 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

... but I don't place much value upon those that constantly toot their own horn in such a vulgar way and equally constantly berate those that are opposing them.
    I'm a bit baffled that after a couple of years of his "antics" and the success he has had by creating this outlandish character - that people still don't get it.
    All of his actions are designed to benefit him either in the ring, or out of it. The results were obvious from his first fight in Stockholm.

His win against Chad Mendez should have been Italia 90 in the ring but I was left cold.
    Why were you left cold?
    Chad seemed like such a friggin' dude after that bout, he rocked Conor big time but as recently as today I read how Conor thinks his striking is weak and so forth.
    After the fight Conor said thank you to Chad for taking the fight on two week. I think his exact words were "you're are a fucking legend.

Then in the post fight presser, be said that he believes Chad hits the hardest of out his opponents in the 145 division.

Post fight.

Do you have an issue with the way Muhammad Ali spoke about opponents, and how he acted when promoting?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

OP you wanting to see him get his comeuppance is why he acts like that. Its a win win for him. He's created such an outlandish character that he's polarising to the point of occupying both extremes on the scale, adoration and loathing with very few in between. Its all part of the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Mellor wrote: »
    Do you have an issue with the way Muhammad Ali spoke about opponents, and how he acted when promoting?

Personally i have an issue with people comparing the two on any level but thats an argument for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

No need for yet another thread. Stick to the main McGregor thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement