Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educate Together refuse school

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

katydid wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a school bus if you live in the countryside and need to get to school.

Lots wrong with a school bus if some children from a town are bussed out of town to a run down building in the country while other children can walk up the road to a nice modern building.

I am agreeing that the building is horrible but there is nothing wrong with having to go to a school in the country. You make it sound as if it is hell to have to go to the countryside. Seriously and again to compare it to the apartheid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

You are seriously trying to say this an the apartheid are comparable. people use school bussed all the time there is nothing wrong with having a school in the countryside. I went to one and guess what it was good. Lets cut to the chase what you are eluding to is the Chatholic church are trying to embarass you. Its out a bit in the country not in Timbukto. The inhumanity

It is fascinating that attempts to establish schools other than those traditionally available to parents run into bureaucracy and red tape. Given the spread of traditional schools in the county. It is a bit perplexing to see the school being offered for the ET is remote and abandoned. Frankly where is the parity of esteem. Like I said before it smacks of, 'you can have a school alright but nothing near established schools.' It is a form of marginalisation, no matter how you dress it up.

SD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I am agreeing that the building is horrible but there is nothing wrong with having to go to a school in the country. You make it sound as if it is hell to have to go to the countryside. Seriously and again to compare it to the apartheid.

There is something wrong with dumping kids in a school in the country when there are alternatives, and when other kids, who happen to go to a school controlled by a religion, are not obliged to travel, but can go to school in their locality.

That is clearly discrimination.

Thats where there school is do you want the RC to be fecked out of there school give it to ye

That would be the ideal. The RCC aren't in there anyway, the state runs it and pays the teachers, the RCC just have nominal control.

But it doesn't have to go that far. A couple of prefabs in the grounds of an existing school would do fine until the school is established.

StudentDad wrote: »
    It is fascinating that attempts to establish schools other than those traditionally available to parents run into bureaucracy and red tape. Given the spread of traditional schools in the county. It is a bit perplexing to see the school being offered for the ET is remote and abandoned. Frankly where is the parity of esteem. Like I said before it smacks of, 'you can have a school alright but nothing near established schools.' It is a form of marginalisation, no matter how you dress it up.

SD

So your saying the Catholic Church and the rest are saying up you. I can see your point there with the building at least but to suggest it is hell or like apartheid to go to school in the countryside and to dare suggest take a bus like what are we savages we are townfolk not county people we have higher standards is frankly pathetic and sound snobbish.

• Advertisement

That would be the ideal. The RCC aren't in there anyway, the state runs it and pays the teachers, the RCC just have nominal control.

But it doesn't have to go that far. A couple of prefabs in the grounds of an existing school would do fine until the school is established.

Where are the kids to go in the school if ye take it over maybe they don't want to have educate together to run there school what gives ye the right to say we want this school like it or lump it.

Prefabs would have been a nice way but maybe due to health or safety they could not be due to the size of the place or something.

So your saying the Catholic Church and the rest are saying up you. I can see your point there with the building at least but to suggest it is hell or like apartheid to go to school in the countryside and to dare suggest take a bus like what are we savages we are townfolk not county people we have higher standards is frankly pathetic and sound snobbish.

You choose to live in the country. Other people choose to live in the town. They choose to live in the town so they are near shops, schools etc.

If schoolkids who go to the RC school can go to a school in the town, why not other children? Are they of less worth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I think people are forgetting and I will try to find a link later as I'm mobile, but parents in the local schools in castlebar voted to keep the current school patrons back when Ruairi Quinn was minister for education. so why should a local school be given up when the locals want that school to remain the way it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And if the said other schools don't want /need prefabs on there grounds .

Yeah the building offered need work and modernisation but 12 /18 months solid work and investment it pretty doable .

We all can't have shiny and modern building just because

Where are the kids to go in the school if ye take it over maybe they don't want to have educate together to run there school what gives ye the right to say we want this school like it or lump it.

Prefabs would have been a nice way but maybe due to health or safety they could not be due to the size of the place or something.

Can't everyone go to the same school? What's wrong with that?

There are plenty schools in the country that use prefabs. If an existing school yard is too small, there are surely areas where they could be installed. In a community centre, sports grounds or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Nope you're incorrect there. For me it's simple. If you look at the spread of state funded schools with religious patronage in the county and then consider what is being offered to the ET movement. It does raise questions. This isn't a real choice. It's an abandoned, near ruin in the middle of nowhere. They don't call it the Windy Gap for nothing.

Why precisely do those kids who want an ET education and live in the town have to schlep out into the middle of nowhere for their education?

SD

Gatling wrote: »
    And if the said other schools don't want /need prefabs on there grounds .

Yeah the building offered need work and modernisation but 12 /18 months solid work and investment it pretty doable .

We all can't have shiny and modern building just because
    Tough luck if they don't want or need. It's none of their business. The state pays their running costs and their teachers, they can put up what they like.

The school was supposed to open IN TWO DAYS TIME. It isn't ready. And even if it was, it's an insult to bus kids out of the town because they are not Roman Catholics.

I think people are forgetting and I will try to find a link later as I'm mobile, but parents in the local schools in castlebar voted to keep the current school patrons back when Ruairi Quinn was minister for education. so why should a local school be given up when the locals want that school to remain the way it is?

No one's asking the RC to give up its school. It has nothing to do with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

No one's asking the RC to give up its school. It has nothing to do with them.

Then what's your point?

There is something wrong with dumping kids in a school in the country when there are alternatives, and when other kids, who happen to go to a school controlled by a religion, are not obliged to travel, but can go to school in their locality.

That is clearly discrimination.

What alternatives are there. The prefab one I will give you but maybe it could not have been done I have no idea. Maybe you want the school run by the religion and tell them to go somewhere else. The school is it was fit for purpose is only a few KM away not half way across the country

You choose to live in the country. Other people choose to live in the town. They choose to live in the town so they are near shops, schools etc.

If schoolkids who go to the RC school can go to a school in the town, why not other children? Are they of less worth?

Of course they are not and a school should be build for Educate Together in the town. There is not a school there at the moment so except for the prefabs which if it can be done should be what other alternatives are you suggesting. By the way its a school there there to learn it should not matter if its a bit out in the countryside

What alternatives are there. The prefab one I will give you but maybe it could not have been done I have no idea. Maybe you want the school run by the religion and tell them to go somewhere else. The school is it was fit for purpose is only a few KM away not hald way across the country

The prefab option is a genuine option. Ideally near an existing school, but if not then in the grounds of a community centre or similar. A modern prefab is way better than a victorian ruin.

The school they want the kids to go to certainly in NOT fit for purpose, and does not have convenient access for the people of the town.

Can you answer me this; why should the students of a non RC school be treated differently from students in an RC school, who can easily access their school by foot or bicycle?

Of course they are not and a school should be build for Educate Together in the town. There is not a school there at the moment so except for the prefabs which if it can be done should be what other alternatives are you suggesting. By the way its a school there there to learn it should not matter if its a bit out in the countryside

So if they are not of less worth, why should they be bussed out of town instead of going to school locally like their friends in the RC school?

There is no school building, but prefabs can be put up for a couple of years while one is built. Or a community centre can be use.

But the Dept. just want to take the easy way out and discriminate against them; the very thing they are trying to get away from.

The prefab option is a genuine option. Ideally near an existing school, but if not then in the grounds of a community centre or similar. A modern prefab is way better than a victorian ruin.

The school they want the kids to go to certainly in NOT fit for purpose, and does not have convenient access for the people of the town.

Can you answer me this; why should the students of a non RC school be treated differently from students in an RC school, who can easily access their school by foot or bicycle?

If it is then it should be done again I had no idea if it was possible then fine. I also agree and have been the building is not fit for purpose and should not be used.

Students from non RC school should not be treated differently but having to go to a school IF IT WAS FIT FOR PURPOSE out a bit in town is not discrimination. I am all for schools for different domination of faith or non faith to be build and be build as centrally as possible. I don't have a problem whith this WHAT I DO HAVE A PROBLEM with is people thinking having to go to school a bit out in the countryside or having to (dear god) ride a bus as discrimination or akin to apartheid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Local schools should never have been given a vote. Atheists are a minority, how would a school ever be divested by a popular vote under those circumstances? Of course the locals don't want to go secular, the need for a baptismal certs keeps the foreign kids out with their funny religions.

No school should have any religious ethos, but as a stopgap a proportional number of religious schools in each area should be nationalised and taken over by the organisation that funds them, the DES. Locals should be consulted but the decision should be made centrally if they won't play ball.

• Advertisement

hardCopy wrote: »
    Local schools should never have been given a vote. Atheists are a minority, how would a school ever be divested by a popular vote under those circumstances? Of course the locals don't want to go secular, the need for a baptismal certs keeps the foreign kids out with their funny religions.

Not just that. If the schools were secular, they would have to take responsibility for their own children's religious education. They might have to put themselves out to take them to Sunday school or Communion preparation class in the evening

So if they are not of less worth, why should they be bussed out of town instead of going to school locally like their friends in the RC school?

There is no school building, but prefabs can be put up for a couple of years while one is built. Or a community centre can be use.

But the Dept. just want to take the easy way out and discriminate against them; the very thing they are trying to get away from.

GOING TO A SCHOOL IN THE COUNTRYSIDE IS NOT DISCRIMINATION. My god people its not hell.

You make it sound like been bussed to a school is something for serfs or something. Thousands of kids in towns, cities and countryside do it.

If there is an area for prefabs or a community centre or another people could be used in the town then yes I agree it should be used I have NO problem with that

If it is then it should be done again I had no idea if it was possible then fine. I also agree and have been the building is not fit for purpose and should not be used.

Students from non RC school should not be treated differently but having to go to a school IF IT WAS FIT FOR PURPOSE out a bit in town is not discrimination. I am all for schools for different domination of faith or non faith to be build and be build as centrally as possible. I don't have a problem whith this WHAT I DO HAVE A PROBLEM with is people thinking having to go to school a bit out in the countryside or having to (dear god) ride a bus as discrimination or akin to apartheid
    Of course it is discrimination if they could have the possibility of attending school in the town and are prevented from it. That is what is proposed here.

If one group of town dwellers can go to school in their local area and another group are forced out of their local area, how is that not discrimination?

Not just that. If the schools were secular, they would have to take responsibility for their own children's religious education. They might have to put themselves out to take them to Sunday school or Communion preparation class in the evening

Or they don't have a religion and want a choice

Or they don't have a religion and want a choice

A choice of what?

Of course it is discrimination if they could have the possibility of attending school in the town and are prevented from it. That is what is proposed here.

If one group of town dwellers can go to school in their local area and another group are forced out of their local area, how is that not discrimination?

HOW?

My nephew goes to a Church of Ireland school there was none in his area so he went somewhere else. Is this descrimination

A choice of what?

The type of school they want to go to and who appears to run it

The type of school they want to go to and who appears to run it

So, what the Educate Together parents want....

HOW?

My nephew goes to a Church of Ireland school there was none in his area so he went somewhere else. Is this descrimination

Yep, it is. He should be able to go to the nearest school on the same basis as other children in his neighbourhood.

• Advertisement

So, what the Educate Together parents want....

????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement