Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SATELLITE in ATTIC - would it work

Options
  • 30-08-2015 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hi We currently have the satellite dish on the balcony and the management company have said they will remove it this week. If I put it up in the attic - could it work - get a signal from there ? Is this possible or did anybody do it? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Not possible, the dish must have clear line of site to the satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Something like this might be an option, all depends on if they management company allow a discreet one...

http://www.satworld.ie/selfsat-flat-panel-satellite-dish-quad-output.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

harry999 wrote: »
    Hi We currently have the satellite dish on the balcony and the management company have said they will remove it this week. If I put it up in the attic - could it work - get a signal from there ? Is this possible or did anybody do it? Thanks

Talk to Sky and ask them would they do something similar to what they are doing here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057478760

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

harry999 wrote: »
    The microwave frequencies used by satellites simply can't pass through pretty much all roof tiles. The only way you can get away with it is if either you replace the tiles on the roof with special ones that are (relatively) transparent to microwaves, or if by luck you have an attic window that faces roughly South-South-East and the glass pane is either non-metallic or replaced with a plastic pane.

Depending on how visible the dish on the balcony is from the ground, you might be able to move the dish to the floor of the balcony where it can still see the satellite you want to receive but can't be seen from the ground i.e. camouflaged behind railings. The dish might sit on a car tyre on the balcony floor or on a small tripod for example - painting the dish a sympathetic colour to help it blend with its surroundings can also help. Each case is different though and needs to be looked on its own merits to come up with acceptable solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭FreshCoffee

As I understand it management companies can only usually object if the dish is fixed to the property eg wall. If it is a free standing dish like any other balcony furniture then they cannot object. Many people are using a free-standing tripod to mount the dish on their balcony (and anchoring it down if necessary with a few heavy concrete blocks).
    www.freetv.ie/tripod-satellite-mounting-bracket-50mm-100cm.html

If for some reason they can still object to a dish even if it's free-standing you could consider using a Globe dish such as this one on adverts at the moment.
    http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/digiglobe-hidden-satellite-dish-high-gain/8386968

• Advertisement
Advertisement