Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Lawrie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well Peter has another invite for this week (or I presume he is playing on an invite). Nice first round of 3 under.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Another good round today, now -5 and T20 though play has been suspended so his placing may change but he's well inside the cut. Here's hoping for a good 'moving day' tomorrow.

He has a bad record of scoring on Saturdays this season. Hope he smartens up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Level par thru 3 today.... that's a stormer by Saturday standards :):(

Com'on Peter, grab a few birdies today.

Another incredibly disappointing Saturday... +4 for today to leave him -1.
    An even par round today and he could have pushed on for a decent finish.

Just not good enough I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    He has a bad record of scoring on Saturdays this season. Hope he smartens up tomorrow.

+1 And the trend has sadly continued today with +4 including a double-bogey on the 18th. Saturdays have been an unmitigated disaster all this season - ten cuts made and only below par on one Saturday!

Here are his aggregate scores relative to par for all ten tournaments this season where he made the cut, makes for grim reading...

Thursday -23
    Friday -22
    Saturday +19
    Sunday (nine tournaments) +2

I'm beginning to think this guy needs to see a sports psychologist about these Saturday scores. He has been incredibly lucky to have so many starts on tour this season, and has just blown so many of them. I'm beginning to think he just isn't up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I'm beginning to think this guy needs to see a sports psychologist about these Saturday scores. He has been incredibly lucky to have so many starts on tour this season, and has just blown so many of them. I'm beginning to think he just isn't up for it.

I have been thinking that for some time and for all I know he has done it. The pattern iz so clear it has to be a mental thing.

A lovely 65 today. If he had even shot level par yesterday, he would be in a great position.

A lovely 65 today. If he had even shot level par yesterday, he would be in a great position.

Wow, great round today, probably his lowest of the year?
    I don't think he has had a low low one like that, normally shooting steady -2,-3,-4's at best!?

He needs to get a few "Today is not Saturday" t-shirts printed up.

(Forgot it's Par 70... still a great round and Top 20... hadn't bothered checking in on him after yesterdays round)

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    Wow, great round today, probably his lowest of the year?

Yes, his previous best was 66 which he scored in both the 2nd round of the Malaysian Open in Feb. and the 1st round of the Jo'burg Open in March.

Think they've all finished now at 14:55 and it looks like Peter will be T16 with 7 others so his prize money will be €33,345.

Edit: a Swedish amateur (Marcus Kinhult) finished in a group of five players on T10 so the four professionals in that bunch shared the prize money for places 10-13, Richard McEvoy who finished sole 15th took the cheque for 14th place and the 8 players (including Lawrie) who tied on 16th got the same prize money as if they had tied for 15th place which is €34,594.

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes, his previous best was 66 which he scored in both the 2nd round of the Malaysian Open in Feb. and the 1st round of the Jo'burg Open in March.

Think they've all finished now at 14:55 and it looks like Peter will be T16 with 7 others so his prize money will be €33,345.

Edit: a Swedish amateur (Marcus Kinhult) finished in a group of five players on T10 so the four professionals in that bunch shared the prize money for places 10-13, Richard McEvoy who finished sole 15th took the cheque for 14th place and the 8 players (including Lawrie) who tied on 16th got the same prize money as if they had tied for 15th place which is €34,594.

I think he's won about €140K this season - much better than last year, and no card! I think he'll be back to tour school though.

I think he's won about €140K this season - much better than last year, and no card! I think he'll be back to tour school though.

Unless he has one good week I think you're right.

The only good news is that even without a successful tour school campaign he would still move to category 16 membership if he can maintain his current ranking, which may help with tournament entries early next year.

Spot on, he's currently 120th on the R2D rankings with earnings of €140,241.
    Unless he has one good week I think you're right.

The only good news is that even without a successful tour school campaign he would still move to category 16 membership if he can maintain his current ranking, which may help with tournament entries early next year.

He would only need to fall below 125th to drop into category 17 for next year and FWIW, the cut-off for entry to the European Masters this week was just above the start of category 16 so he still would have needed the invite meaning that poster vienne86 above is correct, he will still need to do tour school as the invitations will probably start to become scarcer and he couldn't rely on category 16 next season if he doesn't regain the full tour card.

coylemj wrote: »
    He would only need to fall below 125th to drop into category 17 for next year and FWIW, the cut-off for entry to the European Masters this week was just above the start of category 16 so he still would have needed the invite meaning that poster vienne86 above is correct, he will still need to do tour school as the invitations will probably start to become scarcer and he couldn't rely on category 16 next season if he doesn't regain the full tour card.

No one is saying he'd skip tour school and rely on category 16 membership as a career plan. All I said was he would qualify for more early season smaller events at the start of next season, when higher ranked players are either still on a winter break or playing in the US.

You seem to have quoted my post but not actually read it, which is a bit unusual.

He has done well this season....well, better than last season. But given the number of invites he managed to get, he hasn't done well enough. I would expect invites to be getting scarcer from now as we get to the sharp end of the season. But in tour school last year, he only missed out on a card by one shot I think, so hopefully we goes well again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Think there is an interview with Peter lawrie coming up on 2fm in next few minutes for anyone interested in his thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

70 (1 under) Tied for 7th in the Made in Denmark European Tour Event

70 (1 under) Tied for 7th in the Made in Denmark European Tour Event

He got through Saturday fairly well by his recent standards and it would be great if he could press on tomorrow.

Its about a par 69 course so he will need at least that to hold his position. He looked on top of things today so fingers crossed.

First Up wrote: »
    He got through Saturday fairly well by his recent standards and it would be great if he could press on tomorrow.

Its about a par 69 course so he will need at least that to hold his position. He looked on top of things today so fingers crossed.

He seems, at last, to have hit a bit of form. It would be great if he could get a decent cheque today.

• Advertisement

One under for the day after a shakey start. Hope he can keep it going.

A so-so round with four bogies and three birdies left him on +1 for today and -7 overall. He finished tied 14th with five others so he'll get a cheque for €20,725. That bogey on the last cost him €4,400.

Another missed opportunity for Peter. I think he will be going back to Q school this year, but at least he is showing a bit of form.

I see Peter has won 160K this year. And he has another start this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The fields are lacking depth these weeks so he doesn't even need a sponsors invite to get in!

Last week, this week and next will all be got in with his category 20.

117th in race to Dubai, he has a decent chance of his card now imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He really has been blessed with the sponsors invites. He's essentially had a full season on tour without the actual entitlement to be there

The fields are lacking depth these weeks so he doesn't even need a sponsors invite to get in!

+1 Out of a field of 156 in the 'Made in Denmark' tournament last week, there was just two (Marc Warren and Soren Kjeldsen) in the OWGR top 100 and 12 in the range 101-200 so 142 out of the 156 players were outside the top 200.

Good for Peter Lawrie but bad for sponsors and the European tour itself.

Last week, this week and next will all be got in with his category 20.

117th in race to Dubai, he has a decent chance of his card now imo.

You could well be right - I feel he needs to have one really good week - a top 3 finish maybe.

Poor day today from Peter - missed the cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

He really can have no complaints if he doesn't secure his card. He has been given every opportunity.

On a side note the field in next weeks Russian Open is one of the worst I've ever seen on the European tour.

Advertisement